Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

I had the iPod link installed on my 06 RL today. The good news was how amazing it sounds through the RL's excellent stereo. The bad news is that none of the iPod's data is displayed on the screen. However, the 1-6 buttons control various functions on the iPod (which sits in the glovebox) and the software adds speech software so it reads the MP3 tags for navigation as you move through artists, genres or albums/songs. Not a perfect solution but much better than anything else I could have come up with to pump my ipod thru the stereo. The price? Just $550 for the install and the kit. Such a deal! but I can't live without my iPod.
  • mevandemevande Posts: 190
    Wow, that is allot of work. How much did all the work cost? I think there comes a time when a car requires too much work and should be sold (my 2 cents). I am looking into buying a 2006 RL, but all the problems I read of give me pause. I have a 1998 BMW 740i with 63k miles, perfect condition. I have learned to stay away from the dealer for rountine maintenance, ie oil changes. They want to charge 100.00 for an oil change! :cry:
    I agree, re: struts. At 110k you are riding on mush. Even at 63K miles on my car (similar technology BMW 740i and looking a 2006 RL) the dealer told me the rear struts need replacing 'soon' to the tune of 1100.00 (ouch!). No way I am going to pay that for there is a repair shop (specializes in BMW's ect) will do it for 650.00 with same part! I think that anyone with an older RL should find a good repair shop and you will save allot of $$$'s for maintenance items, such as the struts the host talked about.
    James,
    Is the vibration hum common with new RLs?

Mike
    How common are these problems in RL's? I have read about vibrations, rattling in the dash ect.

Thanks
  • shs111shs111 Posts: 39
    Thanks for posting, avatar1. I've been very curious to hear how the iPod link performs. I'm sitting at my dealer for a 5,000 mile service (B level), and the service guy has no clue about the iPod link. Does anyone know whether it can be installed on the 2005, or just on the 2006 RL?
  • The iPod kit also works with the 2005 RL. I have an appointment on Monday for the install. I believe that there is limited functions through the audio controls. I heard that the 1 - 6 buttons will perform some kind of functions, I believe that those buttons will control playlists on the BMW if the play lists are named 1 through 6. That would be acceptable. I am going to ask them to install the cable in the center console vs. the glove box though. It would be nice if you could use the selector wheel and the menu comands on the center console with the iPod screen showing up on the display, but at lease we can have a direct input to the stereo.

Kris
  • hadhad Posts: 32
    The side mirror control by the left of the steering wheel should be dead center , not on L or not on R.
  • "The side mirror control by the left of the steering wheel should be dead center , not on L or not on R."

I'm afraid that isn't my experience. If the control is on the right side, I see the right curb as the mirror tilts - same with the left side. At dead center, neither mirror tilts when in reverse. An anomoly, perhaps, but dems my facts. I'll inquire when I go in for my first upgrade at 10K.

Otherwise, I haven't encountered a single problem with anything electrical except that the Nav system has misdirected me twice, therefore always under suspicion.
    The RL has behaved beautifully - smooth and wonderful!!

George
  • The side mirror control by the left of the steering wheel should be dead center , not on L or not on R.

The Owner's Manual advises you to set the switch in the center position to avoid accidentally moving the mirrors out of adjustment. However, it goes on to say that the automatic pivoting of the mirror to assist in parking only works if the selector switch is set on one mirror or the other. (Page 123 of the Owner's Manual.)
  • I am considering purchasing a 2005 RL that is a buyback from Acura. Acura has since sold the car and it is at a used car dealer, not an Acura dealer.. In service date on vehicle of 10/2004. Issue causing buyback was door locks recycling and continually running down battery. Acura issued TSB on this problem. Problem has been fixed, according to dealer, and remaining portion of 4 year factory warranty still valid with Acura.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can verify that the problem was corrected? Also, has anyone purchased a car that has gone through a buyback scenario? Anything that I should look out for?
  • I have had the same one on both my 05 RL's (first one Acura took back because of problems). If it is on the drivers side of the dash board on bottom right corner believe it is part of the wiring harness that gets loose.
    They will tell you the A pillar need silicon lube however dash needs to be taken apart and harness fixed.
    Make sure the dealer has the $1 clip in stock otherwise its a 3-4 day way for the part to arrive.
  • on my 05 RL this message always on...never have anything on passenger seat...anyone experiencing same problem ?
    dealer can't find problem.
    thanks
  • rldanrldan Posts: 4
    I have a problem with the keyless remotes in my 2006 Acura RL. When the remote switches from #1 to #2 (or visa versa) the car doesn't recognize the 'new' driver right away. The service guy at my dealer is telling me that it recognizes the last remote that locked the car, therefore when I don't lock the car in my garage and a different remote starts the car it is not recognized. This could be what is happening, but the manual (and common sense) says that the remote that is present when the car is started should determine which driver is recognized. Any thoughts?
  • The service guy at my dealer is telling me that it recognizes the last remote that locked the car, therefore when I don't lock the car in my garage and a different remote starts the car it is not recognized.This could be what is happening, but the manual (and common sense) says that the remote that is present when the car is started should determine which driver is recognized. Any thoughts?

In my experience, both the manual and common sense are correct in this case. Logic says your service guy couldn't possibly be correct - what value would the system have if it only recognized the last driver, not the current driver! I've had a couple of instances where it didn't recognize the correct remote, but 99% of the time it's fine. I believe there is a procedure whereby you pair each remote separately so the system knows which is which. You may need to do that procedure again.
    Believe it or not the service guy was right! An unlocked car will default to the last driver to avoid the dilemma when both remotes are present. There are two ways to tell the car a new driver is present: 1) hit the unlock button on the remote or 2) Push 1 or 2 on the driver position memory panel on the door. Cest la vie!
  • jeffp1jeffp1 Posts: 7
    james39:

I am having the exact same problem at the same RPMs. Dropped off my 05 today. They called me this afternoon and said the tech heard it. The tech also drove an 06, and heard it on that one too. They weren't sure what to do...and basically chalked it up to being a normal noise of the car. So I called Acura Customer Care and they said I should go back and ride with the tech (as these noises are very subjective) and perhaps have them call the tech support line at Acura. Thus, I suppose I too will have to go back one or two more times.

And on top of that, when I picked up the keys and the invoice, it said they washed it and they had not. No chance to provide them feedfback as I picked it up at closing.

Love the car, but this hum/vibration is loud and annoying.
  • jtsjts Posts: 15
    Well guess what, I have an '05 with just over 7000 kms. on it and it alo ha a slight vibration at just over 1500rpm. Ive tried different scenarios
    but the bottom line is it's there only under load (in gear) and goes from 1500 to 1700 rpm. in any gear independant of speed and doesn' occur when you shift to neutral. I've about convinced myself it's due to a throaty exhaust that has a mild vibration. It is noticable as a vibration in the steering wheel and the gas pedal only, no noticable noise. I'll have my dealer look at it but my guess is it's normal and I can probably lve with it as the car is so good otherwise especially after my three E Classes spending so much time in the shop!!
  • Believe it or not the service guy was right! An unlocked car will default to the last driver to avoid the dilemma when both remotes are present.

I checked, and you're correct. However, the logic still escapes me. If there's a dilemma when both remotes are present, what difference is there as to whether the car is locked or unlocked?
    If it's locked, the act of unlocking identifies the driver.