Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    Yes they can install a new battery without a complete electrical disconnect. They put a little maintenance battery in the circuit.

• How to replace the water pump for a 1995 legend?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    This is too complicated to list in steps here. You have to remove the timing belt as well, and disarm the air bag system (so the book says).

Anyway, I'd suggest you get a workshop manual for this job, either on eBay, Amazon, or at your local library, because you'll need a step by step, tool recommendations and also diagrams for the timing marks, pulleys, etc.

• ff100ff100 Posts: 12
    I have a 2006RL and use the HFL everyday. Occasionally the system does not understand the numbers or the stored caller, but most of the time, 95% I would say, I had absolutely no problem. If you have trouble, try to close the sun roof, windows, etc., and speak louder and slower toward the upper middle section of the windshield (where the microphone is located). I've paired two phones that work flawlessly with the system. Overall, compared to Toyota, the Honda HFL system is far superior. The Toyota system (Avalon model) can not understand me at all. Good luck !
  • I have a 97 Acura RL. The cigarette lighter 12v accessory outlet doesn’t work. I can't find the fuse for it.
  • I have a 97 RL also and have had to replace 3 rear window regulators. It seems if you don't use them a lot they stick and break a plastic part, which means you have to replace the whole regulator. It was not that bad to replace it myself. Delray Acura online was the cheapest for parts.
  • I am about to purchase a new 2009RL. How easy is it to install the Splash guards. The dealer wants too much.
  • I think they went into the winter position. I adjust this by manually pushing wipers back down into the regular position - might want to check the manual, but I think gentlelly prodding them back down will work AOK.
  • blloydblloyd Posts: 4
    I have had good gas mileage, but just this week, with 58,000 miles, my AC condenser failed. Cost $2,400.00. OUCH! Have complained to Acura; results pending. Anyone with AC issues?
  • blloydblloyd Posts: 4
    Anyone with AC issues
  • tonycdtonycd Posts: 223
    That is a known problem on '05 RL's. Google for it and you'll find discussions elsewhere.
  • tariq745tariq745 Posts: 3
    I have 2005 RL with 80k miles. Recently I set up memory seat # 2 for my wife and after that side mirror stop working. They don’t go up or down in reverse. I cannot adjust them even if the car is in Park. I don’t know if it just a co-incident or does mirrors becomes lock after setting up both memories. Any suggestions?
  • ff100ff100 Posts: 12
    The switch that allows you to adjust the left or right mirror is in the middle position. Move it to left or right and the corresponding mirror will start tilting down in reverse.
  • brnpabrnpa Posts: 7
    I just picked up an '06 RL and had to chuckle at your post from a few years ago. I try to do all the maintenance work on both the RL and my '05 MDX for the very reason you cite. The dealers think they can get away with this because most people don't know about car mechanics and assume these services are necessary. In fact, both of my Acura owners manuals specifically state that oil additives are not necessary and that using a high detergent gas mitigates the need for fuel additives. You should have pointed this out to them. $15.00 for a bottle of $.99 STP gas treatment is way over the top, even for an Acura dealer. You're right: Don't go to the dealer unless it's warranty work.
  • tariq745tariq745 Posts: 3
    Yes I already tried adjusting mirror switch left and right but no luck!. I dont know if side mirror went bad. but they do move when i change the memory seat setting from 1 to 2 or from 2 to 1 to pre-adjusted position.
  • Looking for information on how to remove the rear passenger door panel to replace the window regulator. Does anyone have a step by step process or can at least let me know where all the screws or fasteners are. I have ordered a regulator and motor and it will get here this Tuesday. Thanks,.
  • Just after the warranty expired (of course!) on my 2005 RL, the outside mirrors developed a shimmy. The dealer said that the mirrors needed replacing-at a cost of over $600.00 apiece but the dealer has been wrong about a number of other things so I wonder...The mirrors themselves are firm in the housing and move correctly with the power switch or in reverse but the housings are so loose that every time the car hits a bump the view to the rear changes (dangerous!)and I can even hear a thump.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?It makes me angry to have this kind of a problem after only 4 years in a $50,000.00 car.
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    It sounds like a dealer ripoff as I have found them to do many times especially with my wife. When my car acts funny, I have two recommended body shops that do excellent work, and one mechanic shop that takes care of tuneups etc.

Ask around and get several referrals and then check them out and get a WRITTEN estimate from each.

Good luck to you and to all others and stay safe.

jensad
  • My Acura is askin me to enter pin.. it came on after the battery had died and i replaced the battery.. and now when i turn off the lights the trunk pops open.. any sugestions would be wonderful..
  • I had the same problem when I turned off the lights / engine, and the trunk will popped open. That causes dead batteries a few times. I believe that it was a design oversight.