Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• loki5811loki5811 Posts: 1
    I test drove a lot of cars lately from the mazda rx-8 to the chrysler crossfire all had their goods and bad. But as soon as I saw this car I decided on waiting for it to be released. It doesn't have the navigation that i want but pioneer makes a great in dash nav system for less than what dealerships charge for nav. Although i would love to see this in a Turbo or an AWD I think if she drives as nice as this years eclipse I am going to definatly buy this one. I am surprised to see that mitsubishi has only a 19k-26k msrp but saving some $$ for the aftermarket turbo and nav is a must. I checked out the showroom unveiling of the mitsu 06 eclipse and I want that color they show as a firey red/orange but what other colors do they have?
  • This goes out to all of the haters (not just you whooo). I think you need to pull your head out of your behinds and get with the program. The second generation eclipses, which for those of you who are oblivious to the fact, are the 95-99's, are some the hottest cars to come off of a production line in quite some time. The fact that you could scoop one of these puppy's up brand new for less than 25K is flabbergasting. 210 HP turbo in a front or all wheel drive is craziness for that price.
    Obviously you have never driven one. It is not just the looks, but the speed that will pin your a** back in the seat through 4th gear. All of this with only 4-cylinders. I urge you to find me another car that can do that with such a limited engine. Put a couple thousand dollars into it, and you have yourself a sleeper. My 98 has got 420 horses in it and a dreamy 51,000 miles - Do the math. I will dust just about any car on the road (especially domestic -hehe:) )and certainly anything production in the same price range. The last car that even gave me a sweat was a 04 Infiniti G35 coupe which comes standard with 298 horses. Try beating that with your Neon.
    Any ways, some food for thought people. The 2nd generation body style was sleek, muscular, and to the point. Now let me elaborate, the GS was definitely for girls. Only the GST and GSX are on my good list here. Those cars with their aggressive stance and aerodynamic design continue to turn heads every time I take my baby out. I, for one, applaud Mitsubishi for going back to the drawing board because the 3rd gens look like sh*t. Who are they trying to kid with those "things" on the side...this is no Fararri.
    In closing, I hope you all continue to hate on the new eclipses' because I will think of you everytime I smoke another car off the line in my new 06. Oh yes, it will be mine!!!
    Try to keep up with my 98 or my 06 (once I have pumped a few mods in it).

Peace - I'm spent!
  • lhesslhess Posts: 379
    just traded my 2001 eclipse spyder for an rx8. i figured i could drive a new car until mitsu drops the top on the new eclipse and then i'll get one of those. I know it was about a year with the current body style change (2000) before they made a convertible (2001). Anyone heard about the time frame for the new one? I love the looks of the 06.
  • The latest word we got for release of the new Spyder is April 2006. It will be an 07 model. The top itself has been SEVERELY strengthened & the rake on the windshield is pretty radical.
    thanks for the info. really excited about this car for mitsubishi and I hope it helps boost them a little. i know the late 90's eclipses were hot with young buyers and they lost that with the 2000 body (even though i loved my 01 and only traded because my dna requires that i trade about every 3 years or so). I had great service from my dealer with the mitsu and it was about 99% trouble free. I did have the top replaced under warranty for a slight flaw that my service man caught and suggested i fix while under warranty. I will own the next one as well!! I always tell folks that i'm just providing a foster home for the rx8 until i can get the new spyder.
    Any photos of the spyder yet that i can go take a peek at?
  • toyunkitoyunki Posts: 25
    is it? that the engine that designed by Hyundai?
  • ckwilliackwillia Posts: 2
    saw a new eclipse in a mall parking lot today.. i must say i think it looks much better than the current version.. camera phone actually came in handy today, who knew
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    The June issue of Road & Track had a pretty nice write-up on the 06 Eclipse.

0-60 in 5.8 sec. They desribed the engine as "buttery smooth w/ some serious rip". 263 horsepower w/ 260lb ft of torque. About 27 grand loaded up with just about every option including the 600 watt stereo.

Looks like this car will be a winner for Mitsu this summer.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    It appears as though Mitsu is using the Hyundai strategy.
    the salesman there told me they are expecting 2 eclipses within the next few weeks. When they arrive, they have to sit in the showroom, no test drives and they can't sell them, until the official launch date. I can't wait to see one.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    So it turns out the guy heading up the launch just walked off the job, possibly over micro-management from Japan, possibly over the budget limit of $25 million for the launch (typical major launches use up around $100 million in promotional revenue).

Not a good thing for the model that will, in all likelihood, mean life or death for Mitsu US. After seeing the pricing, I think the car has a shot, but it appears they will have to rely pretty much on word of mouth to make it fly.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    I still see Mitsu commercials all the time on TV. As much if not as more that other car companies.

Just goes to show you that you don't have to advertise the most to sell the most cars.

People spend as much time on the internet as they do watching TV nowadays, anyway. Interenet buzz can be more more effective than TV.
    I see 'em a lot less than I used to rjlaero!

That $25 million covers the entire budget, including print, web and PR junkets, so it's a telling figure in an overall strategy.

I agree that the advertising budget isn't the end equation, but Mitsu isn't selling much of anything these days (down 43% again!), and it's a fact that pulling ad dollars is a bad strategy when the chips are down. Fact. They need more visibility now than ever before, especially on the eve of the debut of their best-selling offering historically.

Even as a long-time Mitsu fan and patron, I have to say I don't think they'll be here next year if this intro doesn't fly.
    when I bought my 8 back in March at the Mazda/Mitsu dealer, my salesguy gave me some info on the new eclipse (I traded an eclipse spyder). It had a post card to send in for further info on the car and I sent it in. I have received nothing and that is really unusual. I've done that with various mitsu cars and they have always sent something right away. Surely they have their promo material printed at this point?
  • Mitsubishi dealerships will showcase the 2006 Eclipse beginning in late May, 2005. NO OFFICIAL PRICING HAS BEEN SET.
    The new Eclipse is the fourth generation vehicle to wear the name, but the first-ever based on a platform designed and built expressly for the North American market
    The Eclipse GS is equipped with a 2.4-liter engine with either a four-speed automatic or five-speed manual transmission (162 horsepower and 162 lbs.-ft. of torque), and the Eclipse GT comes standard with a 3.8-liter, 60-degree, SOHC V6 engine – also enhanced by the MIVEC system – that is ideally suited to provide brisk acceleration for spirited driving while maintaining efficient fuel economy. Rated at 263 horsepower at 5750 rpm, with peak torque of 260 lbs.-ft. at 4500 rpm. The engine’s intake and exhaust are tuned to achieve maximum torque early in the rev-range for strong acceleration the instant the throttle is engaged, almost regardless of engine speed. It comes equipped with a new six-speed manual or five-speed automatic with Sportronic™ mode.
    To increase driver- and front passenger room, the Eclipse’s height was increased by nearly two inches, to 53.5 inches (or 53.8 inches when equipped with optional 18-inch wheels and tires
    The Eclipse’s exterior design makes a bold visual statement about the product and the person who owns it, distinguishing itself from the traditional, conservative or retro styling of segment competitors. The Eclipse’s athletic fender arches, wind tunnel-inspired front fascia and long, arching C-pillar help the Eclipse carve out its own unique style.
    In the interest of front passenger safety, all Eclipses are equipped with advanced front airbags, front seat mounted side-impact airbags and side curtain airbags.
    The Eclipse’s optional premium audio system features 650-watt amplification with nine speakers including a 10-inch, long-throw subwoofer in a fiberglass reinforced acoustic suspension enclosure. The six-disc, in-dash CD changer also plays MP3 files. In addition to the usual bass, midrange, treble, fader and balance controls, the Eclipse’s advanced Digital Signal Processor (DSP) gives the user total control over the subwoofer “punch” level. It offers custom music genre equalizer settings and sound field image settings including: Normal, Stage, Live and Hall. The Rockford Fosgate system also offers an industry-first DSP sound setting memory function that allows users to configure all eight DSP settings and save them in six preset locations for their favorite CDs, artists, or music genres.
    Mike @ Modified Mitsu
  • No materials related to the 06 Eclipse except a postcard preview have been sent or released to dealers as of May 15th. While the 06 Eclipse will debut on showroom floors in late May as a preview to the official retail launch which will happen in late June. Only high volume dealers are getting these vehicles during the first 30 day preview period.
    You know, there's a real problem when a key salient point of a supposed performance car is a fershlugginer subwoofer!

Who in Hades cares about the sound system? [rhetorical question]

You gotta be pretty hard up to go boulevarding with your rear window bouncing like a bass drum skin in the first place, but exactly what does that do for the driver?

It's heavier, taller and appears to boast a lower power to weight ratio than an Accord sedan.

I have been a devoted admirer of the G2 Eclipse in all its guises and had really hoped for a return to that kind of sport. I owned a G3 variant and was saddened that, do to the company's inability to market it well, update it appropriately, and style it with any degree of panache, that it remained an also-ran for its entire career; it deserved better and I thought they would learn. This is disappointing.

Subwoofer... :sick:
  • The information you have on their budget is wrong...
    They are spending very close to a $100 million dollars on the launch of the Eclipse and you will see an entirely different type of advertising campaign from Mitsubishi starting June 12th. Check out www.yahoo.com on June 12th.
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102344

Well, if I've got it wrong, then so does Autoweek!

Some say Schembri butted heads with the marketing department over how the Eclipse should be marketed. They say market studies showed the car should be aimed at men ages 25 to 40. But Schembri argued for courting baby boomers, too, they say.

But the most difficult problem for the marketing executives, sources say, was the Eclipse's advertising budget: a paltry $25 million.

That's when Mayer walked.

"Kevin went through torture fighting for the budget," one source says. "A $25 million budget won't launch that car."

Maybe they got it wrong; maybe someone decided to spend the cash after the fact. Are you by any chance an insider, modmit? It'd be nice to have some inside scoop here.

I'm extremely pleased that they decided to return to the 2G for styling cues. IMO, they never should have left. Just about everything else I'm reading on this generation, though, seems to evidence even more of the blood-thinning that happened with the 3G, even though I believe that car was underrated.
  • I read that story too and according to everything I have been hearing, it is a smear campaign by a disgruntled ex-employee. Mitsubishi Motors replaced its primary Advertising Agency with the same company that has Pepsi as an account.
    Check out link title for the Press Releases from Today!