Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    So it turns out the guy heading up the launch just walked off the job, possibly over micro-management from Japan, possibly over the budget limit of $25 million for the launch (typical major launches use up around $100 million in promotional revenue).

Not a good thing for the model that will, in all likelihood, mean life or death for Mitsu US. After seeing the pricing, I think the car has a shot, but it appears they will have to rely pretty much on word of mouth to make it fly.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    I still see Mitsu commercials all the time on TV. As much if not as more that other car companies.

Just goes to show you that you don't have to advertise the most to sell the most cars.

People spend as much time on the internet as they do watching TV nowadays, anyway. Interenet buzz can be more more effective than TV.
    I see 'em a lot less than I used to rjlaero!

That $25 million covers the entire budget, including print, web and PR junkets, so it's a telling figure in an overall strategy.

I agree that the advertising budget isn't the end equation, but Mitsu isn't selling much of anything these days (down 43% again!), and it's a fact that pulling ad dollars is a bad strategy when the chips are down. Fact. They need more visibility now than ever before, especially on the eve of the debut of their best-selling offering historically.

Even as a long-time Mitsu fan and patron, I have to say I don't think they'll be here next year if this intro doesn't fly.
  • lhesslhess Posts: 379
    when I bought my 8 back in March at the Mazda/Mitsu dealer, my salesguy gave me some info on the new eclipse (I traded an eclipse spyder). It had a post card to send in for further info on the car and I sent it in. I have received nothing and that is really unusual. I've done that with various mitsu cars and they have always sent something right away. Surely they have their promo material printed at this point?
  • Mitsubishi dealerships will showcase the 2006 Eclipse beginning in late May, 2005. NO OFFICIAL PRICING HAS BEEN SET.
    The new Eclipse is the fourth generation vehicle to wear the name, but the first-ever based on a platform designed and built expressly for the North American market
    The Eclipse GS is equipped with a 2.4-liter engine with either a four-speed automatic or five-speed manual transmission (162 horsepower and 162 lbs.-ft. of torque), and the Eclipse GT comes standard with a 3.8-liter, 60-degree, SOHC V6 engine – also enhanced by the MIVEC system – that is ideally suited to provide brisk acceleration for spirited driving while maintaining efficient fuel economy. Rated at 263 horsepower at 5750 rpm, with peak torque of 260 lbs.-ft. at 4500 rpm. The engine’s intake and exhaust are tuned to achieve maximum torque early in the rev-range for strong acceleration the instant the throttle is engaged, almost regardless of engine speed. It comes equipped with a new six-speed manual or five-speed automatic with Sportronic™ mode.
    To increase driver- and front passenger room, the Eclipse’s height was increased by nearly two inches, to 53.5 inches (or 53.8 inches when equipped with optional 18-inch wheels and tires
    The Eclipse’s exterior design makes a bold visual statement about the product and the person who owns it, distinguishing itself from the traditional, conservative or retro styling of segment competitors. The Eclipse’s athletic fender arches, wind tunnel-inspired front fascia and long, arching C-pillar help the Eclipse carve out its own unique style.
    In the interest of front passenger safety, all Eclipses are equipped with advanced front airbags, front seat mounted side-impact airbags and side curtain airbags.
    The Eclipse’s optional premium audio system features 650-watt amplification with nine speakers including a 10-inch, long-throw subwoofer in a fiberglass reinforced acoustic suspension enclosure. The six-disc, in-dash CD changer also plays MP3 files. In addition to the usual bass, midrange, treble, fader and balance controls, the Eclipse’s advanced Digital Signal Processor (DSP) gives the user total control over the subwoofer “punch” level. It offers custom music genre equalizer settings and sound field image settings including: Normal, Stage, Live and Hall. The Rockford Fosgate system also offers an industry-first DSP sound setting memory function that allows users to configure all eight DSP settings and save them in six preset locations for their favorite CDs, artists, or music genres.
    Mike @ Modified Mitsu
  • No materials related to the 06 Eclipse except a postcard preview have been sent or released to dealers as of May 15th. While the 06 Eclipse will debut on showroom floors in late May as a preview to the official retail launch which will happen in late June. Only high volume dealers are getting these vehicles during the first 30 day preview period.
    You know, there's a real problem when a key salient point of a supposed performance car is a fershlugginer subwoofer!

Who in Hades cares about the sound system? [rhetorical question]

You gotta be pretty hard up to go boulevarding with your rear window bouncing like a bass drum skin in the first place, but exactly what does that do for the driver?

It's heavier, taller and appears to boast a lower power to weight ratio than an Accord sedan.

I have been a devoted admirer of the G2 Eclipse in all its guises and had really hoped for a return to that kind of sport. I owned a G3 variant and was saddened that, do to the company's inability to market it well, update it appropriately, and style it with any degree of panache, that it remained an also-ran for its entire career; it deserved better and I thought they would learn. This is disappointing.

Subwoofer... :sick:
  • The information you have on their budget is wrong...
    They are spending very close to a $100 million dollars on the launch of the Eclipse and you will see an entirely different type of advertising campaign from Mitsubishi starting June 12th. Check out www.yahoo.com on June 12th.
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102344

Well, if I've got it wrong, then so does Autoweek!

Some say Schembri butted heads with the marketing department over how the Eclipse should be marketed. They say market studies showed the car should be aimed at men ages 25 to 40. But Schembri argued for courting baby boomers, too, they say.

But the most difficult problem for the marketing executives, sources say, was the Eclipse's advertising budget: a paltry $25 million.

That's when Mayer walked.

"Kevin went through torture fighting for the budget," one source says. "A $25 million budget won't launch that car."

Maybe they got it wrong; maybe someone decided to spend the cash after the fact. Are you by any chance an insider, modmit? It'd be nice to have some inside scoop here.

I'm extremely pleased that they decided to return to the 2G for styling cues. IMO, they never should have left. Just about everything else I'm reading on this generation, though, seems to evidence even more of the blood-thinning that happened with the 3G, even though I believe that car was underrated.
  • I read that story too and according to everything I have been hearing, it is a smear campaign by a disgruntled ex-employee. Mitsubishi Motors replaced its primary Advertising Agency with the same company that has Pepsi as an account.
    Check out link title for the Press Releases from Today!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I love the new styling of the Eclipse. A big improvement over the old one. It looks like its ready to pounce and has a masculine yet elegant profile. All the standard safety features is a nice plus as well, although I gotta wonder why they bothered with curtain airbags when they could have got by with a dual chamber seat-mounted bag and saved a little money. The point of curtain airbags is to protect front and rear seat passengers but the ones in the Eclipse only protect the front seat. Anyway, the design is very futuristic looking, the performance is high, and all the right options are available for the bling-bling crowd (except for nav, but I don't care about that). I think this car should sell well. And I can't wait to see the convertible! I bet it's gonna look sweet! I just hope they improve the rear seat legroom at least an inch or raise the front seats enough so you can get your feet under them. I can handle sitting in the current convertible's rear seat for short trips, but the foot space is so small and the front seats so low that I have to turn my feet at an uncomfortable angle in order to fit and I only wear a size 8 shoe. I hope they take this chance to improve on this problem.
    My only concern with it is the fact that it's a front wheel drive (I am correct on that one??). I just traded an 01 Spyder Gt that was only 200 hps and the torque steer on it was a little tricky at times. What's the 263 gonna be like? Also, I agree with the space in the back seat. In my convertible, I would have preferred that they completely eliminate the back seat and use that space for extra leg room up front and cargo space. Since I was the one making the payments, I had the privilege of refusing to ride in the back seat. Still, I loved the car and am anticipating buying the 07 spyder when it hits the streets!!
  • dawn7dawn7 Posts: 7
    2006 Eclipse Sales Halted Due to Brake Defect.

Mitsubishi has issued an "urgent notice of stop sale" on the redesigned 2006 Eclipse. The problem involves the vacuum brake booster, which could cause brake failure.
    this car has been the buzz for months. How long is this delay gonna last, any ideas?
    Can you post a link, dawn7, because I can't find this on any of my usual industry sites?

I flub like that would be fatal.
  • gwitzgwitz Posts: 1
    I have to disagree...I would say that many people in the target market believe the sound system is a key feature of any vehicle they intend to buy. Lets face it, this car isn't for the baby boomers, nor is it for gen x...its all about gen y - and we want a full performance package...not just a high-reving car.

I think the design of this vehicle shows an excellent marketing blend that satisfies gen y's demand for futuristic lines and a full driving experience. As an owner of a G3 and an Endeavor, as well as an avid market researcher, I can say that Mitsu's N.America group has done extremely well in offering well balanced vehicles that meet the broadest needs of today's consumers. It may take time for the market to warm up to the new Mitsu, but if Corporate can keep it together, I believe their products will pull them through.

Bottom line, the G2 owners of yesterday are moving on and Mitsu is fulfilling the needs of a new clientele. So, why exactly would they just recreate the G2? To please those G2 owners (who are now older) that will pass it by to get a minivan? No...to snag a new, fresh market.
    I'll have to take your word for it gwitz. Personally, I'd be a little disappointed if an entire generation really places more emphasis on a sound system than on driving!

I think there's a bottom line you may be missing, and I think Mitsu might be missing it too, and that's that tuners (the youth segment they'd most like to exploit) see the G2 as the ultimate expression of Mitsu's performance capability, and within that, it's the turbo AWD variants that draw the cash offers. There's a reason for that and it has zero to do with a stereo!

None of this is to infer that the car is not good, nor that it may in fact be a better car than the G3, but more of a boulevard cruiser and less of a sports car doesn't sound like a great plan to capture a younger audience to me. At least not with the model that's supposed to be your sport offering. If they want to sell to a crowd set on amenities, they could pull a Scion, and offer a menu of goodies to play with on some other model.

End all for me is I think this car will actually appeal to an older audience based on the larger size, larger engine, amenities and styling. I could be wrong; not that that's ever happened before. ;-}

Anyway, the initial reviews I've read are pretty good, which is a good thing, but I worry that rather than a class leader here, we've got yet another mid-pack offering that will achieve whatever numbers it can on price and incentives.
    audience. Let's face it, you build a car that appeals to these zit-faced tuners who want to mod the heck out of a car and run the heck out of it, and you've not done anything I would consider to be very smart. They may want them, but can they buy them? And, who is less costly on the warranty end of the car, a teenager with too much money or an adult out in the working world paying their own bills?

I'm a 36-year old female. Just traded an 01 Eclipse Spyder GT for a Mazda RX 8 and the 06 Eclipse appeals to me very much. In fact, I see the 07 Spyder on my shopping list in a couple of years. I have disposable income, no children (thank you God for reliable birth control in my lifespan), and I'm responsible enough to take care of my purchases. Also, how can they make a turbo car and offer the kind of warranty they currently do?
    It seems a good point lhess.

Still, your typical tuner is taking a $9K-$12K used car and dumping 8-10 grand into it (often much more), so economically, they can do a GS (depending on credit scores) and aren't all that far off the GT buy in to begin with (question is would they?). Next, you may see them all as pubescent, but the average readership age for Sport Compact Magazine is 28, IIRC, and the last Southeast Nationals drew competitors averaging something like 38!

As a young (IMO) female of 36, by the time you go topless Spyder in MY07, you'll be at the very end of your demographic usefullness for this car, according to the experts at Mitsu. According to them, you're old. Not your fault; I just think they have no real clue who their actual audience has become.

Mostly I agree with you: this car is no way a demographic 18-40 target. More like a 26-55 is how I see it. That's how the recently departed Marketing VP saw it too, and that's part of why he left, according to reports. If they really wanted to nab the youth market, it would be a turbo'd AWD four-banger with less size, weight and junk. Yeah, it would have an optional killer sound system! As for the Boomer crowd (guilty), well, any enthusiast is going to balk first at the FWD, especially on the GT because of the torque-steer and the balance, and secondly at the weight, and thirdly at stright-line performance that doesn't approach a Z. The rest of the Boomers are going to find it fits their needs neatly, but won't go GS, I don't think.

BTW, modern turbos and long-term warranties can co-exist quite peacefully. They're pretty darn reliable these days. And most of those zit-faced tuners, frankly, take far better routine day-to-day care of their cars than most 36 year-old females I've known; present company excepted of course!
    ;-}
    Here is a link and more info

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000040044633/

Mitsubishi halts 2006 Eclipse sales

"Mitsubishi stopped sales of the new 2006 Eclipse because of a problem with the vacuum brake booster could cause brake failure. Automotive News reports that Mitsubishi reported the problem to the NHTSA noting that up to 1185 vehicles could be involved in the recall. Only 44 Eclipses reached owners hands this month. We thought the Eclipse was supposed to change Mitsubishi fortunes."

Automotive News:

Mitsubishi has issued an "urgent notice of stop sale" on the redesigned 2006 Eclipse. The problem involves the vacuum brake booster, which could cause brake failure. Up to 1,185 vehicles could be affected.

CarConnection:

"Mitsubishi has halted sales of the '06 Eclipse after the company received reports of flawed brake systems from its Normal, Ill., plant. Automotive News reports that Mitsubishi reported the problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety ................

In the vehicles, a problem with the vacuum brake booster could cause brake failure."
    Are you sure you can sell those? Better call Mitsubishi and ask. According to the report they filed with NHTSA, none can be sold until they find out and fix the problem with the brake failures.
    From AutoWeek, this was Before the Stop Sale Order:

I think Mitsubishi should have waited until the quality was good instead of rushing this to market.

" Mitsubishi launches 2006 Eclipse early; automaker counting heavily on new model's success
    5/19/05

LOS ANGELES -- Mitsubishi, in an urgent need to revive sales and its brand image in this country, is putting its redesigned 2006 Eclipse coupe on sale 10 days earlier than planned."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102418
  • wag314wag314 Posts: 1
    I caught a glimpse of one on I-44 going through St. Louis. It was on a car hauler w/ other mitsus' I was surprised to see an actual california license plate. Nothing to show that it was a dealer plate from what I could see.

Jason
    just teasing....I don't want a forum war here!! Oddly enough I bought my 01 Spyder when I was 32 and while doing some reading on the car, the target age for it was 32. Bingo. Although the car was an eyecatcher and it got looks from everyone (the old convertible classic - red with a black top), it was mainly the older crowd that would really comment on it. I had a couple in their 50's question me as to reliability, did I like it?, all that stuff because they had been considering buying one. Almost everyone that truly admired it was 5 to 10 years older than me right up to the trade, so we're talking folks in their 40's and beyond.

I wonder if mitsu wouldn't be better off trying to position the eclipse into a more mature sports car offering (I liked the FWD because I drove it year round, but the younger crowd does not like it). I think the spyder should be offered in GT only, make it a true roadster, drop that useless back seat, and compete it with the z4's...

Develop that lancer evo into the tuner car. give it all those things that the tuners want, keep it light, keep it less costly.... I think they are co-mingling them somewhat when it comes to marketing and it just doesn't work for them.
    Thanks dawn7.

That's not good. On the intro of the G3, there was an almost immediate recall on a battery cable, IIRC, and also on a tranny cooler hose coupling. It affected Dodge and Chrysler variants as well.

Mitsu has an unfortunate history that way. It's part of the overall problem, especially with regard to resale numbers, lease residuals, etc.

Really though, I think that their more recent problems have come from a complete lack of brand identity, and some serious blundering in search of a marketable presence. Certainly, from 2000 up until this Eclipse, I thought their styling direction was abominable at best.
    We crossed in the mail there!

They really did try to position the G3 as a boomer car. Going to a V6 and abandoning the turbo, deleting the AWD, styling to a new audience, easing the cockpit (major mistake to me; the G2 cockpit is the best of any car IMO), etc., all was aimed at broadening the appeal.

The EVO definitely fits the mold: seriously pre-tuned. They have to upgrade the safety ratings on that platform, though. Take the least safe mainstream Japanese sedan available and pump its engine up on steroids? Not a great combo, to my mind! ;-}

But that really leaves them w/o a great sport coupe. I'd keep the V6, only instead of a 3.8, I'd try to massage something smaller and lighter, I'd take some length and height out of the package, and look to shave a good 700 pounds off the finished product. The styling is mostly in the right direction, IMO, but it's still kind of busy. The G2 was much cleaner, with less gratuitous trim and no icky chrome (that's a personal pet peeve, chrome spells t-a-c-k-y to me). I definitely would offer the AWD again. It's the wave of the future, I believe.
  • pilotdog68pilotdog68 Posts: 4
    i agree that it's an improvement, but personally i liked the 2nd generation best
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Turn out the lights, the parties over. Where I live, two Mitsubishi dealerships gave up on this make. One in my city, and one in the next city which is even larger. One new one did open within 25 miles of here, but it has the look of temporary to it. Smallish work area and parts garage. I for one, will not be buying a car which may have a third of the dealerships left, and not be able to be fixed if on the road. If they are rare on the Central Coast of Calif, then how could you hope to find a service in say the Mid-West, or even in bordering states, other than the largest of cities? The Eclipse looked interesting in photos, so that is why I stopped by the dealership in Santa Maria, which is a city of over 80K to see if they had it on display. To my amazement all the Mitsu's are gone, gone, gone. :cry:

So let's see, there is no more Camaro, Celica, 240SX,Prelude, ahhhh, the list goes on and on. Mustang is the last soldier of sporty, great looking and affordable coupes??? Heck, I may get a used sports car again. My used Miata has served me well - a little on the smallish side, but once shoe horned in, fun to drive.

Loren
  • ironchikironchik Posts: 1
    Ive been following this for a while now. Its time to trade in the mitzi 2000 GT for the 2006. Thought Id be happy (again) with the styling, price, performance.
    Im in Ohio. Each dealership around me got 2 cars in over Memorial Wkn......look but cant drive. Didn't even have brochures available yet...still dont. Waiting, waiting waiting for stock to drive/buy but no one can give me a firm date but Im told mid june. Wonder if this has to do with break thing I read above. Prices seemed a bit higher than before. A loaded GT for $28,700. One dealer even mentioned a 5000 markup....I told him thats nuts. Was hoping to wheel and deal a bit but its gonna be tough...dont see them going down for a while, however kinda glad as maybe it will deter the teenagers.....for a while there, thats all I saw driving them and I kinda felt like I was driving a "kid" car. Any thoughts?
    You do not, repeat do not want to give a dealer any additional mark-up on this car. It simply isn't going to be that hot a ticket. Wait a month or so for the product to hit for real, and then go wheel and deal.

Personally, I would not put penny one into any new Mitsu without incentives like crazy, and I'm somewhat of a Mitsu fan!