Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• pdc2pdc2 Posts: 15
    I have a 02 XLT AWD escape, with just under 40,000km (? about 25000 miles)almost entirely city driving in Calgary, Alberta. There had been one engine stall and a sticky gas pedal in the first year, the 6-CD stereo wouldn't eject CDs, had no other trouble I can remember.

Just bought 3 more years warranty. dealer is calling me to do cooling system flush and for a brake calipers check, but assured me that normally brake rotors can be turned once and that I don't need to flush the transmission for another 10000km.

The 6-CD stereo in my excape would take home-made CDS, but the Hyundai tucson and the Kia Sportage would take MP3 as well (the USA models have more features and priced lower than in Canada, you don't know how lucky you are).

This reminds me to chase Ford to return the 6 CDs stuck in the old stereo, they were all 1950 oldies and very precious.
  • I have 6 disk changer as well, stock 2005 job #2
    It plays all home-made CDs.
    Try some friend's CDs or different brand.
  • I had a problem in my Bose stereo in my Altima. It would not play Memorex CD's but played TDK's with no problem. Have had no issue playing TDK's in my Tribute.
  • I have a tribute with 66k on it. 4cyl, manual.
    Im getting these squeaks while acclerating but doesnt seem to be a normall belt issue. I can put under a load, downshift and hammer it with no noise at all. But when Im crusing at any speed and touch gas, i get the squeak. Like little mice under the hood. The belt looks fine but I have another to put on anyway.
    Couldnt get tensioner to budge- not like other trucks I have worked on. any help on the above would be greatly appreciated!!!

thank you,
    david
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    You might want to visit problems forum... but this could be pulley itself...
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    This could be the case, as soon as I finish this batch I'll try different brand...Thanks
  • Hello to everyone. I finally decided to join in on the forum. I bought my 02 LX a few months ago. I have taken it in for all of the most recent recalls and have had the transmission flushed, including an additive added to help eliminate some O.D. slipping. Other than that, it's been a very good vehicle. It has gotten me through the most recent snow storms here in Central PA, which is the main reason I chose it in the first place.

I welcome any suggestions on where I can find a louvered cover for my fog lites (had to replace one recently).
  • Hi there,

I'm in the process of shopping around for a new vehicle...finally had enough of my 2000 Jeep TJ.

So far, I test drove the 2005 Mazda Tribute GX-V6, at roughly $29000CAD, and the 2005 Ford Escape XLS at $30200CAD.

I really liked the take-off and road handling on the Mazda, and the Ford had a good road handling. Both seem to have the same Fuel economy. As for cosmetics, I preferred the layout of the console in the Mazda.

So far, from what I've read, Mazda has a better warranty, and it somewhat a little less expensive, which I still have to negotiate price with the dealer. as for servicing, I have no idea what to expect from the local Mazda dealer, and the local Ford dealer has a new owner for the past 3 years or so, and from what people say, they aren't impressed with the service...this came from the ex-service manager from the Ford dealership...so that's a selling point for me.

My father, good heart, but insists I check out another Ford dealership, and has been a Ford man since I can remember. He called a dealer in a small village about 1 hour away (in the middle of nowhere), and was told that I can get an XLT for $32000, and my father says that I'd be able to get an XLS for $25000....that's fine and dandy, but if they are the same, I think I'd prefer the Madza V6 with the above mentioned pros towards Mazda, and the fact that if I have problems with the Ford, and I'd bring it to the local dealer, what kind of service can I expect if i don't buy it from them.

So all this to say that I'm a little torn, and am wondering if I'm missing some things to look for as a comparison...1 thing I forgot to ask each dealership was on "loaners" if I need servicing, seeing that it's imperative that I need a vehicle for work.

So far, the Mazda seems like the logical choice, but still have to see what each dealer will give me on my trade-in.

If anyone has any ideas what else I can look for, please let me know. thanks
  • rachabotrachabot Posts: 1
    Glad this forum is here. My wife and I both have Escapes. Hers is an 04 XLT FWD V6, with Leather, full A-Clad gloss paint (Satin Silver / Dark Silver) and premium wheels. She also has the MACH stereo (AWESOME!)<- That was my input. So far this one has had 15,000 trouble free miles and in April will be a year old. Mine is an 02 XLT 4WD V6. Mine is not leather :(, no MACH stereo :( :(. White on tan. Mine is driven heavily. I have had mine for 10 months and put 23,000 miles on it. I change the oil every five weeks. It has a new set of tires and had the brakes / rotors replaced. Beware of this and have your rotors checked. They wear quickly (on Escapes, don't know about Tribs). I have performed all of the recommeded maintenance and so far this has been a great machine. I hope it lasts. It has 62,000 on it now. For buyers, good gas mileage, great performance (V6) and fun to drive. As far as the CD issue, ours play any home made CD. 6-CD in-dash systems. Thanks.
  • >

I agree with this observation. I drove Miata's for 13 years (a 1992 and a 2001) and just a few weeks ago traded in the 01 for an 05 V6 Tribute. While not the same ride (particularly since I installed upgraded anti-sway bars in the 01), it's close and at times I'll push the Tribute harder than I intended to, since I'm so used to driving the Miata. The Trib sticks to the road and goes where I aim it, which is the best way to drive!
  • papaw8papaw8 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Escape limited 4x4 6 cylinder with all the bells and whistles, leather, sunroof, upgraded 7 speaker 6 CD stereo changer and towing package. I love this vehicle. I use it in my business and I have 76,000 miles on her now with no problems. I am getting 28 miles to the gallon overall (highway and in town) with the mileage mostly highway. I added a K&N airfilter and a tornado in the intake between the airfilter and the engine. This changed my mileage from 23 MPG to the current 28 MPG. I would highly recommend the Escape for all drivers. It is more stable on the road than the Explorer I owned and will go in any weather conditions.

Papaw8
  • cruise1cruise1 Posts: 8
    I think it is great to know that there is something one can do to increase the MPG for the Tribute. I read your comments about a K&N air filter & a Tornado. Where did you get the air filter and what is does the tornado do and exactly where in the intake system did you put it? I hope you can help.

Thanks
  • bc60bc60 Posts: 16
    Does installing this tornado or K&N filter void your warranty? Sometimes, owner modifications can void the warranty. And I know that the service people are always quick to blame the owners modifications for any problem instead of admitting that the problem is actually with the vehicle.
  • Hello
    New to the forum. I just bought a 06 Escape was wondering how much you are towing in weight? I was looking to get a little trailer and tow my Harley Davidson. the bike weighs about 800lbs but I don't the average weight of trailers?
  • Hi.. I have a 2005 tribute, 7k on the clock, V6 automatic. It has an intermittant high pitch squeak that appears to be coming from the right rear wheel. There is no pattern to the squeak, it can happen reagardless of the vehicle being hot or cold, high speed or low speed. Depressing the brake pedal makes the noise stop and it may or maynot come back when the pedal is realeased. It been to the dealer 5 times since it was bought in july, on the last visit there was a tech note from mazda about similar complaints and part of the brake assy was replaced. we thought that had fixed it until two days ago when it happened again. Has any other owner experienced this frustrating issue?
  • i purchased my 2006 mazda tribute s v-6 ( loaded ) two weeks ago! i was the proud owner of a 2001ford escape v-6.
    i put 130,000 miles on it with no problems!! never did a thing to it except change the oil and rotate tires/ new brakes, thus the tranny went after 130,000 miles, no complaints if i maintained it better it , i would still have it!. i went out and got a my tribute ( always liked the look and warranty advantage better than the escape ) trouble is i feel like i still have the same exact vehicle?? although the tribute has the bell and whistles ( sun-roof , leather, 6cd-changer ) i am disapointed that ride/accelleration/gas mileage is exactly the same?? i did get a great deal on the vehicle, listed for $27,745. dealer price $25,961, i bought it for $23,700!! i am beginning to second guess my self by not going after my other choice ( nissian xterra). in fact i am thinking of going back to the dealer mazda/nissian to maybe trade it in for the xterra.. do not get me wrong the tribute is awesome , its just that its seems to old hat!! i would appreciate comments/replies on the pro's and con's of my thoughts!!
  • I WOULD APPRECIATE REPLYS AND COMMENTS ON MY FORUM QUESTION #38 OF 38!! ANY REPLY FROM ANYONE WOULD BE GREAT!! REALSALES!!
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Hello,
    Like Scape I too am a long term owner and poster of a 2001 Escape XLT 4WD. I currently haev (as of 2/7/06) 76545 miles and the only trouble I have had mechanicaly was the front sway bar and outer tie rods breaking, and paint on hood started chipping (but Ford did repaint entire vehicle under warrenty). To answer the towing question, you can tow up to 3500lbs as long as you have the Factory installed towing package, but if you only went out and got a u-haul installed aftermarket hitch, you can only tow 1500lbs (all the engine will limit for stress).
    I did alot of added upgrades to the interior features and some engine upgrades (Tornado).
    Sorry to say the Escape may be getting put out to pasture with 2nd child due in July '06.

Odie
    2006 Philly Auto Show Pictures
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    Your Auto Show link seems to have gone over its limit. Try putting an album up at CarSpace.com (click on the banner up top).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I now have over 65,000 miles on my 01 v6 XLT 4x4 Escape. Front tie rod ends must be watched on these vehicles. Cost of repair is minimal, mine was under $150. I have kept my Escape in prime condition. Oil ever 3k, transmissin flush every 25K, Radiator flush every other year, air filter is a K&N, tires rotated. New front ceramic brakes at about 50,000, changed my own fuel filter 2x. New tires at about 50,000. Plastics holding up fine, seats have no rips or worn spots. I have had my interior cleaned by a detailer 2x since I have owned the vehicle. I have to say the vehicle looks like new! I would buy another Escape in a heartbeat :)
This discussion has been closed.