Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Care and Maintenance

Comments

• s5805s5805 Posts: 1
    I have a brake squeal in my Escape that has been a problem since I bought it new. However, now it never, ever goes off. It just continuously squeals and is driving me crazy. The dealership says it is a vaccuum leak but they couldn't find it to fix it. They said they couldn't hear the squeal. So I had the service manager drive with me and the squeal nearly drove him nuts. I asked him how they could claim they could NOT hear it. He said he didn't know. Somehow I think they don't want to deal with this problem. Can someone help?
  • cruise1cruise1 Posts: 8
    Hi:
    I am new to this connection. I read your problem about a squeal that drives you nuts. Maybe this will help!

Usually when you have a squealing of the brakes you have a sound coming from the warning tabs that are attached to the front disc brake pads. They are telling you that the brake lining is ready to turn into metal and ruin your rotor. Sometimes you might have a warped rotor that is causing a in and out feeling as you depress the brake pedal. If the noise is coming from the back of the car it could be that a spring came off and released the brake shoe assembly.

I just bought a 2002 Tribute with a v6 engine. I decided to see what kinds of experience people are having with their Tribute.

See ya,
  • I have a 2002 Tribute. I have had front brake issues since 10,000 miles. They squealed so the dealership turned the rotors. At 25,000 miles they squealed again, and after much determination on my part, the dealership totally replaced the brakes. Now at 45,000, the brakes squealed again so I took it to my local mechanic. He said that the pads were fine but the rotors were shot. The dealership from which I bought the vehicle said it is "normal" for rotors to need to be replaced every 20 - 30,000 on SUV's. Is this really normal?
  • I am proud of you escapenut. I just had the plugs and coil packs replaced at the dealer for $820.
  • ribrib Posts: 3
    anybody have experience with a low whine noise coming from the auto transmission (66,000 miles)?
  • piotrnpiotrn Posts: 1
    I have a question. Is it not necessary to replace the filter in transmission while transmission fluid change every 30k miles?
    regards and thank you peter
  • mbd57mbd57 Posts: 7
    Has anyone had any paint issues on their Tribute?
    I have a 2003 ES w/ 58,000 miles on it. The roof paint is starting to peel dead center in front of roof rack area ( right where the sunroof would be if I had one.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Many people forget the transmission and feel it is a "sealed" unit and will never need to be touched. This is wrong. There are moving parts in your transmission just like your engine. Granted it is "more sealed" than your engine. However dirt does find its way in. I highly recommend you change your transmision fluid at least every 25K-30K. This is much less expensive than having your transmission re-built or replaced. Just a bit of insurance. :)
  • cruise1cruise1 Posts: 8
    Is anyone having exhaust smell coming from heater vents in their Mazda Tribute? I have a 2002 model and this smell is driving me crazy. :P
  • 77olds77olds Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 Tribute with paint problems. I purchased my car,new, in April 2003. It now has approx. 75,000 miles. About a month ago I noticed 2 bare spots, between nickle & quarter size, on the roof just above the windshield. The Service Rep. at the dealers' body shop said that it is a paint defect. He also found a couple of smaller spots back near the roof rack. A Mazda rep. inspected the car last week. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I have also learned that Mazda only puts a single coat of paint on the roof. No clear coat.
  • katz07katz07 Posts: 2
    After reading some of the postings guess I'm one of the luck ones or unlucky ones. I purchased my 2003 Mazda Tribute new about 2 1/2 years ago. I liked how it drove handled in snow and on ice. Except for a few minor problems like too noisy(highway & gravel)and lots of dust coming in will driving on gravel roads I've had no major problems. I have had one recall which took about 5 months to have fixed kept telling me they didn't have the part.
    This was getting close to the time my warrenty was up, they looked at my service book told me everything looked fine. No mention that I should have the transmisson flushed before warrenty was off.
    Shortly after warrenty was off the transmisson went, now I have to pay $5000. to have transmisson rebilt. Called dealer to express how unhappy I was about this, didn't seem to care and told us if the transmisson had been flushed probably wouldn't be having this trouble and it wasn't their problem because I hadn't bought extended warrenty. Sounded to me like even if I'd bought the extended warrenty the transmisson wouldn't of been covered because my Tribute wasn't in shop for $48,000 mile service call. This is the first and last time I buy something other than a GM or Dodge. Drove them until they had over 300- 400 thousand with no problems. No Ford for me, Mazda's to closely related :lemon::mad:
  • Hello

I went to a mom&pop service shop that was offering free brake inspections and was advised that my front brake pads need to be changed. I have about 35k miles on it and have not noticed any audible signs of problem with my brakes.

I was also told that Mazda tribute is equipped with BMW styled brakes and the front brake pads cannot be changed without changing the rotors.

Could anyone please advise if the fact about rotors is true and what signs should one look for before deciding to replace brakes if the brakes seem to function just fine?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    i would be concerned if you have any shaking when applying the brakes. if not, i doubt the rotors need to be replaced.
    i would not get my brakes serviced there.
  • katz07katz07 Posts: 2
    :lemon: Have my rebuilt transmission still not very happy.
    Was given one year or 20,000 km warrenty on it. That's not much for having paid out $5000. They told me not to worry it would more than likely last longer since they put all the updates on it. Didn't really understand what they all were for, but if there has to be updates made on Mazda transmissions maybe mazda should be letting their customers know. :P
  • 73deacon73deacon Posts: 1
    I recently found two spots just over the top of the windshield which are now about 5 inches long and two inches wide where the paint is peeling off down to the metal. I also found two spots at the lower corners of the back window. My 2003 Escape has @72,000 miles but is in great condition otherwise. I am waiting for the Ford rep to check it (this week, I hope). The service manager was doubtful that Ford would pay to have it repainted because it is so far out of warranty. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any help from Ford/Mazda in getting it repainted?
  • I just waxed my 2003 Escape which has Black paint. I was amazed how many blemishes and places where the paint appears to have fallen off. I have never seen a 3 year old car with this type of paint failure. I see by the other messages that Ford may have an issue.

I would never by another black car. It looks bad 2 days after a wash.

But I am disappointed with Fords fit and finish. I have so many squeaks and rattles in the car it's more like a 20 year old car.

Next time I will go with a Toyota 4runner.

:mad:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    black(looking dirty soon after washing)has been that way since the model t.
    our '04 has some chips in the hood and the spats in front of the rear wheels have the paint worn off. other than that, it looks new. it's kept in a garage.
  • tagger2tagger2 Posts: 1
    My daughter's 2003 Escape is White. It has a patch of paint the size of a sunroof that is peeling off of the primer on top of the car in front of the luggage rack. She only has 30K miles on it. From looking at the many posts here, I don't think that color is the problem, just poor quality at the factory.. but what else is new? I agree with utahescape... next time I will buy a toyota. Made in USA.. just doesn't mean the same as it use to.
    Can't wait to hear the run around I get from Ford.. It took us forever for them to have the transmission replaced when it failed only after 22K miles.
  • vbarrazvbarraz Posts: 1
    117,000 miles on a Escape 2001 V6 model. Still has original plugs. Still get same gas mileage (21 combo city/highway miles) as the day I bought it. Engine still running smoothly. So why change plugs if things are running smoothly?
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I guess your not up on Toyota quality issues...??