Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Care and Maintenance

Comments

• katz07katz07 Posts: 2
    After reading some of the postings guess I'm one of the luck ones or unlucky ones. I purchased my 2003 Mazda Tribute new about 2 1/2 years ago. I liked how it drove handled in snow and on ice. Except for a few minor problems like too noisy(highway & gravel)and lots of dust coming in will driving on gravel roads I've had no major problems. I have had one recall which took about 5 months to have fixed kept telling me they didn't have the part.
    This was getting close to the time my warrenty was up, they looked at my service book told me everything looked fine. No mention that I should have the transmisson flushed before warrenty was off.
    Shortly after warrenty was off the transmisson went, now I have to pay $5000. to have transmisson rebilt. Called dealer to express how unhappy I was about this, didn't seem to care and told us if the transmisson had been flushed probably wouldn't be having this trouble and it wasn't their problem because I hadn't bought extended warrenty. Sounded to me like even if I'd bought the extended warrenty the transmisson wouldn't of been covered because my Tribute wasn't in shop for $48,000 mile service call. This is the first and last time I buy something other than a GM or Dodge. Drove them until they had over 300- 400 thousand with no problems. No Ford for me, Mazda's to closely related :lemon::mad:
  • Hello

I went to a mom&pop service shop that was offering free brake inspections and was advised that my front brake pads need to be changed. I have about 35k miles on it and have not noticed any audible signs of problem with my brakes.

I was also told that Mazda tribute is equipped with BMW styled brakes and the front brake pads cannot be changed without changing the rotors.

Could anyone please advise if the fact about rotors is true and what signs should one look for before deciding to replace brakes if the brakes seem to function just fine?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,756
    i would be concerned if you have any shaking when applying the brakes. if not, i doubt the rotors need to be replaced.
    i would not get my brakes serviced there.
  • katz07katz07 Posts: 2
    :lemon: Have my rebuilt transmission still not very happy.
    Was given one year or 20,000 km warrenty on it. That's not much for having paid out $5000. They told me not to worry it would more than likely last longer since they put all the updates on it. Didn't really understand what they all were for, but if there has to be updates made on Mazda transmissions maybe mazda should be letting their customers know. :P
  • 73deacon73deacon Posts: 1
    I recently found two spots just over the top of the windshield which are now about 5 inches long and two inches wide where the paint is peeling off down to the metal. I also found two spots at the lower corners of the back window. My 2003 Escape has @72,000 miles but is in great condition otherwise. I am waiting for the Ford rep to check it (this week, I hope). The service manager was doubtful that Ford would pay to have it repainted because it is so far out of warranty. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any help from Ford/Mazda in getting it repainted?
  • I just waxed my 2003 Escape which has Black paint. I was amazed how many blemishes and places where the paint appears to have fallen off. I have never seen a 3 year old car with this type of paint failure. I see by the other messages that Ford may have an issue.

I would never by another black car. It looks bad 2 days after a wash.

But I am disappointed with Fords fit and finish. I have so many squeaks and rattles in the car it's more like a 20 year old car.

Next time I will go with a Toyota 4runner.

:mad:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,756
    black(looking dirty soon after washing)has been that way since the model t.
    our '04 has some chips in the hood and the spats in front of the rear wheels have the paint worn off. other than that, it looks new. it's kept in a garage.
  • tagger2tagger2 Posts: 1
    My daughter's 2003 Escape is White. It has a patch of paint the size of a sunroof that is peeling off of the primer on top of the car in front of the luggage rack. She only has 30K miles on it. From looking at the many posts here, I don't think that color is the problem, just poor quality at the factory.. but what else is new? I agree with utahescape... next time I will buy a toyota. Made in USA.. just doesn't mean the same as it use to.
    Can't wait to hear the run around I get from Ford.. It took us forever for them to have the transmission replaced when it failed only after 22K miles.
  • vbarrazvbarraz Posts: 1
    117,000 miles on a Escape 2001 V6 model. Still has original plugs. Still get same gas mileage (21 combo city/highway miles) as the day I bought it. Engine still running smoothly. So why change plugs if things are running smoothly?
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I guess your not up on Toyota quality issues...??
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Wow@!! no issues at that... Keep spreading the word... I no longer have an Escape but it was a great vehicle. Traded for a Fusion SEL V6.. At trade my 01 Escape XLT v6 4WD had about 75,000 trouble free miles..
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
  • jastumpjastump Posts: 1
    As a matter of fact.... I have exactly the same problem with my paint....in exactly the same areas. I have a 2003 Ford Escape and when I first reported the paint problems to the dealership, it had about 70,000 miles on it. I was told by the dealership (Pearce Ford Motors in Kentucky)that there was nothing that they could do because it had too many miles on it. I'm not happy with Ford's lack of concern and I will be taking further action. It would be nice to have the paint last longer than the payments!
  • I have a large spot at the bottom of my back window also. Last year I had it at the windshield, the dealership covered it eventhough it was out of warranty. This year they will not. I'm trying to find out how I can locate the Ford rep in my area. To me mileage doesn't have anything to do with the paint. If anyone knows how to contact a Ford rep in the Northern Virginia area, please let me know
  • I have a 2003 ford escape with 50,000 miles. The front hood has bubbles on it and the paint chips off from them. I have 3 of them at this time.. Does anyone know of any recourse?
    I've owned 20 year old cars that have never had such obvious paint defects or problems!
  • I also have paint problems. I have 3 bubbles on the front hood of my car that peeled and exposed the metal.. Has anyone found out if ford will repair?
  • I don't have a tribute but I do have a 2003 escape and I'm having paint problems. The front hood has bubbled the size of a quarter and the paint peels right off!! Probably the same paint was used for both cars
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A local television station is looking to interview consumers who own a Ford Escape who might have corrosion issues in the interior of the vehicle. The current customer is saying that there is corrosion underneath the dash (near the glove box). Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I have a 2003 Ford escape with 54,000 miles that has paint peeling in two locations "top of cab near windshield and back hatch near corner of glass. Ford customer service offered to pay half of the Ford dealer $850.00 repair quote. Has anyone had more success in getting the repair paid in full when their lame 36,000 mile "paint" warranty has already expired?
  • I purchased a new 2 wheel drive 2005 Tribute 9 months ago. It now has about 14,000 km. An intermittent problem began 2 weeks ago. During braking to a stop (city driving, no ice or rough pavement), there is sudden resistance of the brake pedal combined with the sound of some sort of pump or fan motor from the rear of the car PLUS a distinct acceleration forward; ie it feels as if the car is being pushed forward. Further pressure on the brakes does nothing. In order to stop the car from moving forward, I have to release the brake (which causes the car to surge forward) and immediately hit the brake pedal, which is now working properly and stops the car. The feeling of acceleration and the sound of the "pump" stops as soon as I release the brake and then hit it again. Since this has only happened when I'm braking behind a stopped car, I don't have time to check whether the tachometer is racing; I'm too concerned about rear-ending the vehicle ahead. The dealer has driven the car for a week and has not experienced the problem. He says the ABS system is working properly. I have never been in a situation where ABS has activated. My theories: (i) the ABS system is malfunctioning. Rather than shuddering the car to a stop with its intermittent braking, the ABS is seizing up.
    (ii) the faulty accelerator cable problem that resulted in a 2004 Tribute recall exists in my 2005.
    However, if the engine were revving, I would hear it from the front of the vehicle. The noise I hear that accompanies the acceleration comes from the rear and sounds like some sort of pump motor, not like the engine at all. This is a front wheel drive vehicle, not all wheel drive. I'm not crazy; my adult daughter was in the car with me once when it happened!
  • I have had the throttle cable problem in my 2002. It was not related to braking. You are clearly experiencing a problem with the braking system, most probably associated with the ABS since your hear some pump-type of noise from the rear end. The ABS should not be kicking in under normal driving conditions. However, the ABS might be reacting to some external signal that tells it to kick in, so it may be working fine itself. There may be a problem with the master cylinder or power booster that is giving you the hard pedal sensation and fooling the ABS as well.
  • Thank you for your astute diagnosis. Now, what's the best strategy to get the problem identified? Mazda Canada has taken the position that they have never heard of it before and won't get involved in the absence of the dealer finding a problem. Because the dealer has been unable to duplicate the occurrence during roadtests over the past week and has found nothing amiss with the ABS, Mazda will not pay for a rental vehicle under my extended warranty. I've just faxed your comments to the dealer. Because this is a significant safety issue, I reported it to Transport Canada today, but I have no idea how aggressive they will be in investigating. The bottom line: I've been without wheels for a week already and I believe it is unwise to accept the vehicle until the problem is resolved. How does one put the screws to Mazda?
    Perhaps take the vehicle to a Toyota dealership for diagnosis?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    How about a Ford dealer. The Tribute is a Ford Escape with a Mazda badge.
  • I have a 2002 Tribute and had almost the same issue this evening - many similarities. In my case, the engine would not start. Once started the engine sounded like it was idling extremely high, however the tachometer was at 1.5. All of a sudden there was a loud sound like an explosion out the rear of the car. To be honest, the engine sounded like a race car. I put the car in reverse to back out of the garage - no change in the engine sound. Brakes were not soft, but felt like I had no braking power. Once I backed out of the garage, I shifted to 'Drive' and although my foot was on the brake, the car proceeded to move forward.

I was hoping to drive it to the dealership, but decided it was unsafe. Am having it towed in the morning. Will be happy to let you know what they find out.
  • I originally reported that my engine was revving although the tachometer did not show it. By the next day, the tachometer was about 3000rpm while in park.

My problem has been corrected. Here's what the dealer found:
    The throttle was stuck in the open position due to carbon build-up. Throttle was replaced and carbon cleaned out (induction service). The dealer said that would cause the car to continue moving forward although my foot was on the brake.
    I would suggest you take your car to a different dearlership.
    Good Luck!
  • That should fix the problem for a while. But stand warned. You must have the throttle body cleaned avery 30,000 miles or so. I have a 2002 Tribute and I've had the revving while idling happen several times and had to have the throttle body cleaned numerous times. Once it to 8,000 RPM with the brakes on. If I had let go the brake, who knows. Scary stuff. Good luck.
  • zoom_utezoom_ute Posts: 13
    there should be a fuse for the ABS system that can be pulled or a connector on the controller itself that can be disconnected. This will prevent the ABS controller/pump from doing anything ie you'll just have "standard" brakes. This will set a light on the dash for a fault. You could try this and see if the brakes behave normally...then you know they are mechanically ok and therefore it is something with the controller or it's related systems...ie not a stuck throttle or a bad master cylinder, brake booster, etc.

just an idea!
  • Are any of the parts interchangable??
    I need two door handles inside both R and L
    Rear wiper motor
    Front hood molding
    alloy wheel 16"
    Anything at all?? :confuse:
  • read motor-oil bible.use 5w30,synthetic.ford recommends 5w20 just to eke out a tenth or two mp for cafe ratings,because before 2001,same engine and they had 5w30 on oil cap.year later SAME EXACT ENGINE!! oh,only thing you get with tow pkg is the actual hitch.the transm cooler same w or w/o tow.go to u haul and add one 49$ and 66$labor ford tech says thatll keep tranny fluid cool
  • I am having very similar problems with my 2003 Mazda Tribute and my Mazda dealer said that they won't be responsible. I have noticed a number of Mazda's in my area with peeled paint. My car has 74000 miles and is almost 6 years old but I don't think that the paint should be peeling off and rusting. Has anyone else had this problem? Who did you contact to resolve this? It would be nice if they paid at least 50% of the repair price.