Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Sunfire

Comments

• masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    Hello Everyone,

I just found out today that the blower fan only blows when the selector switch is on the third and forth speed. (We were running the AC). Not sure if it does the same thing when selecting for heat. Any ideas as to what the problem is. :confuse:

Thanks and have a blessed day.
  • otdotd Posts: 1
    Anyone have any suggestions for a aftermarket muffler for 2.2 '01 Sunfire? I'm looking for something that will up the volume marginally, while staying nice and low and smooth. Nothing Civic-esque. And obviously it needs to keep the emission levels nominal...

Right now the only thing I have found is Raptor Open flow From Schucks. It's cheap, so I have no qualms pitching it if it sucks.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I have been having 2 different problems with my pontiac 99 sunfire. The first problem is if I'm driving in conjested traffic or stopping at several lights my car seems to overheat. It does fine on highways or driving at a comfortable speed. The second problem has just recently started. When I get low on fuel or fill my tank up it doesn't seem to be getting any gas at all and will hesitate or try to die if I stop at a light and then take off. Sometimes it jerks when driving at a higher speed. I have changed my thermostat and fixed all problems with the radiator and it's not loosing any water but is overheating. I'm not very smart with vehicles and any advice will help... thanks :confuse:
  • We have a 98 Sunfire and had the same problem that you are describing about over heating in city driving. These are the things that I did to try and correct the problem. I drained and replaced the Dex Coolant. I let the car idle for about 20 min. and watched the temp. needle go all the way up to the "high normal" range and then the cooling fan kicked on. (Not being satisfied with this result.) I then replaced the "coolant temp. sensor." Result was pretty much the same. I then changed both "cooling fan fuses." This did help, but the temp. gauge on days like 85 degrees and above without using the AC, was between "middle to high normal temp." The one thing that I have noticed, is when using the AC, to which the cooling fan runs all the time, the temp. is mid range which is correct. I want to change the thermostat, but will hose off the "radiator cooling coils" first. I also, notice that the breathing holes, located under the bumper, are cover and doesn't allow direct air flow to the cooling coils. (It looks like it was designed this way.) I'm going to see if I can remove the covers. For your hesitation problem, try changing the fuel filter. Also, change the plugs and oxygen sensor if you haven't done so. I hope this helps. :shades:
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    Hi, folks,

I noticed there were a number of posts about these problems so I've made new discussions for them, and moved some of the posts here out into those new topics. Be sure to track the whole Sunfire group to make sure you see new posts.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• milo172milo172 Posts: 1
    MasterPaul,
    Did you figure out the problem with the blower fan?
    I have a 2001 Sunfire with a similar problem... the fan only works in the fourth position with the A/C running.
  • Nope. I'm still waiting for some insight to the problem. Although, I must admit that i have not really tried to look into it myself. I believe it might be the switch that controls the fan speed. :shades:
  • Good afternoon,

I have a 1997 sunfire, my cd player is going nuts on me. when i first start the car in the morning or after work it takes a cd and plays it no problem but if I want to put a new one in after that no way, it physically does not accept a cd, you try to push it in, feels very forced, then if you leave the player empty for a few minutes you here a sound like it is either trying to eject or it thinks you are giving it a cd, I get E20 and E20 messages all the time, sometimes it works sometimes it does not. Please help me. I cannot afford a new player right now. If I have to clean the lens how can I take out the cd player, I do not want to unhook anything because of the anti theft which was a major problem when I had to get a new key, the new key got stuck in the ignition and they had to put a brand new ignition in for me,

Also I get no AM reception on the radio, if I need traffic updates I cannot get them, any idea how I could fix these things.

thanks so much.
  • for the fan did u ever get a reply because mine does the same thing. could the fan possibly have been a recall?
  • So, I go to start to change my brakes and rotors then I get stuck basically at the beginning. Does anybody know whether the bolt holding on the caliper uses a torx wrench or an allen key? and what size? It almost seems as tho its a torx and is caked with so much dirt and grime that it has the appearance of an allen key. Being i cant get my head back there, the best i could do is feel around and shove some clay in there to see what shape the impression was haha. If you have any ideas i'd appreciate it!
  • Nope. Still waiting for a response.
  • We have a 98 Sunfire. I had to replace two lug nut bolts on the front passengers rotor, because I broke two of the log nut bolts trying to take off the spare wheel from a flat that I didn't change. It required a special tool that I purchased at Murray's. :shades:
  • slopslop Posts: 1
    Does anyone else have their sunfire stop accelerating when they hit 110, its like the computer turns the acceleration off....also its almost like it breaks really quickly too, as I seem to drop to 105 fairly fast? If anyone knows how to remove this speed block, it would be nice to know. As 110 is not fast enough for me, and i know this car can go faster.
  • I have a 98 sunfire that runs to hot going up hills it heats up to the caution section and sometimes to the red
    what could cause this? I've changed the thermostat, heat
    tempature sensor, I even put another motor in it and it still does the same thing, could the fan not be kicking on soon enough or what!!!!! NEED HELP FAST!!!
  • Try changing both fan fuses which are located under the hood, in the black box, on the drivers side. :shades:
  • What you are describing is a bad starter solenoid. The starter solenoid engages the starter motor when you turn the ignition key. The starter motor cranks (or turns the engine) until it starts. It could also be the starter motor. You said your brother-in-law started it with a screwdriver (so it sounds like the starter is good) just has a bad solenoid. The Solenoid is a large electric switch that carries the full battery voltage to the starter motor. It is activated by 12volt (small wire) from the ignition to the solenoid. If this (small wire) is not sending any electric to the solenoid, the car starter motor will not turn. It could be the (small wire) from the ignition not working properly or at all. Check for 12v at he solenoid with a multimeter ($8-12 at walmart) . Hope this helps.
  • I have a 99 Sunfire GT (2.4 litre) and the oil light has started to come on during idle. At highway speed the light is not on. When stopped at intersections etc. the light will come on.
    The oil level is fine.
    Any ideas...?
    Thanx
  • Does my car truly need a fuel level sensor if I religously put gas in my car. Dealer mechanic wants to charge me LOTS to put this in.
  • Did you ever figure out the problem with the back up lights not working? I just bought a 2000 Sunfire with the same problem, bulbs and fuses are ok. I also have a fast idle problem that I'm trying to resolve. Sounds as if there's a lot of Idle problems with this car, based on the Posts I've read. Don't really want to spend $150 on an IAC valve if that's not the problem. Will have to keep troubleshooting for now.
  • I have a 97 pontiac sunfire gt with the same motor. Have your oil pump checked. I found out the hard way when my oil pump burned up and shot a rod through the back of the engine. The car ran good until it made a winding noise and with in 2 minutes of the winding noise it shot rod out the side of motor and shut down. try that before you have any major problems because those motor are hard to find and very expensive. Good luck.