Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    speaking of Fords, it has been on again, off again, as to whether or not they will do that Bronco concept they had last year. If they did, that would certainly be a return to offroading for Ford, and an almost direct competitor for the FJ.

As for FJ interiors, I don't think there has been anything more realistic than the concept's wild interior touches so far. The interior will be the last thing they do, I am sure, and will be finished much closer to the actual release date.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• The May issue of Automobile Magazine has an article about the FJ.

There is a small computer generated photo of the interior that was provided by Toyota. The photo is a computer rendering, but a close representation of the production interior. It shows a near-flat dash with a clean and functional layout. White face gauges, three spoke steering wheel with aluminum trim on each spoke. The steering wheel has either cruise control or radio controls on the left spoke. The center stack has a body color surround and the doors also have a body color insert. Center console is full-length with a coverless large storage bin at the rear. The seats cannot be seen.

This is the only photo I have seen of the interior that actually looks realistic. A caption above the photo states "The interior wasn't shown at Chicago, but we're told it will be close to the rendering below, color-keyed and utilitarian." :D
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Posts: 156
    I can't wait until some real photos of the FJ in something other than gumball blue come out. I've seen photoshops that look good, but I really look forward to seeing it in some more conventional colors, maybe silver, or charcoal, or dark blue.
  • bowmar9bowmar9 Posts: 10
    Any dealers accepting deposits/orders?

Also, any word on when the interior will be officially unveiled?
  • vgvandervgvander Posts: 8
    I haven't heard anything on the interior, but in a recent article, I read that the FJ Cruiser should be out in early 2006 as a 2007 model. I may be one of a few on this forum, but I decided to wait and test drive the vehicle first before committing myself to purchasing one. As with it being a first year model, I'm a bit cautious. But if I get one, I get one, and if I don't, there is always next year. Just my 2 cnts.
  • jbonejbone Posts: 35
    Truck Trend mag had an article about the FJC where it was mentioned that it will be out in Feb as a 2007 model priced from 22-26K, stating this was info from Toyota. Yes dealers are taking deposits as read on the ih8mud.com forum...

4x4review.com has the most comprehesive int/ext pics of the FJC yet, all in blue however.

Also read in a rag that there will be three color options from the manufacturer based upon the original FJ 40s, blue, tan and I think yellow?
  • samiam2samiam2 Posts: 1
    I spent a few hours on the internet last month, all looking for interior photo's. I finally found a site with two pictures, but alas, I'm out of state on business and using my laptop (site saved on home computer). The interior shot I observed showed an interior finish that was blue and yellow, very sharp, very retro. I can't wait to see more and will post the link when i return home in a few weeks.

sam
    our auto show was coming up, so I could see the concept in person, interior or no interior.

• endoriceendorice Posts: 2
    I have loved all the Toyota vehicles I've owned, including my current Tacoma TRD. I was initially excited to hear about the FJ40 concept, but have been disappointed with what Toyota has done with a vehicle that has so much potential.

Toyota has vehicles that covers the spectrum, but does not offer a serious, but fun, off-road vehicle. Give us something closer to the original FJ40. Give us something that would compete with a Wrangler Rubicon. Short wheelbase, front/rear lockers, good clearance, good approach/departure angles. Something with a removable top.

I was really hoping to buy another Toyota (FJ40) soon, but will lean towards the Wrangler for it's off-road capability and soft-top.
    I just recently noticed that Edmunds has updated their information on the FJ Cruise as well, here is the link link title .They also indicate a release date of February 2006 but this is as a 2006 model. If this is true, I anticipate Toyota to launch more press releases and learn more info between now and the end of the year...
    I don't really get you here - the FJ would seem to have most of what you asked for, except the removable top and probably the front locker.

I am sure the offroad ability will be there in spades, certainly enough to go head to head with a stock Wrangler Rubicon. But it sounds like what you really want is a soft top, and in that case Jeep is pretty much where it's at.

• marketablemarketable Posts: 9
    I've been searching the net for these answers. Can anyone help me?

1. Will the interior look as cool as the concept's, with the springs in the seats and metal jeep look inside?
    2. What are the colors? I know they will INCLUDE the original colors but wil Toyota offer any others?
    3. When can I officially order one?

Any responses would be very much appreciated, even if these questions can not be answered as of now.
    Thanks guys,
    A enthusiastic young buyer
    these questions cannot be answered as of now! :-P

1. Interior is not yet finalized, but I bet they will stick to the themes of the concept, if not every detail.

2. I am sure Toyota will offer more than the three colors that have been announced to match the original. But I don't think there will be a rainbow of stock colors, or anything.

3. Once it appears in finalized form at a show, you should be able to start laying down deposits.

• marketablemarketable Posts: 9
    Thanks so much much for your response. If you hear any more news please let me know as I will do the same. Also, when will there be a show?
  • bowmar9bowmar9 Posts: 10
    Interior is still a big question, however, the exterior are Titanium Metallic, Black Diamond and Black Cherry Pearl, Atomic Sun and Voodoo Blue, per Toyota owners site article from March 2005, here's the link: http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/news/enewsletters.php?id=30&show=archive&month=3&year=20- 05

Based on some of the forums on the internet, some dealers are starting to accept deposits
  • chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Posts: 14
    The only things I would change would be to give it a larger ground clearance--more like 11 inches, say with optional 33" tires. I like the design and the simplicity of the concept, the 245hp V6 and 6-spd combo, the rear locker, and the FJ40 styling cues. If Toyota can price it in the $21-25k category, we have a winner!

I say ditch the current TLC (keep the Lexus LX), and return the "Land Cruiser" name to a truck (like the FJ Cruiser) that deserves it
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    I am also impressed with the writeups on the new H3 which bases at $29,500.

It is more attractive to my eye than the H2, almost the same length, much nicer interior and ride and $25,000 cheaper than the H2. The H3 will be about 10 inches longer than the FJ Cruiser. Hopefully the competition will create lower prices for us for either vehicle.

Of course we know that the Toyota will blow away the GM Hummer3 in quality and resale but the Hummer is now marketing itself as a luxury vehicle and will offer a 50,000 mile warranty.

We have some great exciting choices and these are two compelling vehicles for 2006. I understand the FJ will be labeled a 2007. Both should be extremely competent off road.

I just purchased a new suv but I want my girlfriend to buy the new FJ. She has a boringly competent Honda CRV.

Cheers
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Posts: 729
    I wouldn't worry too much. That's been the plan all along!

I'd much rather have a Supra (it was either this or a $30k Supra-successor), but at least this has a stick and a strong V6.

Bpraxis

Well, if you love 5000 lbs. SUV's with 5-cylinder engines, you'll LOVE the H3!

DrFill
  • chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Posts: 14
    I wouldn't worry too much. That's been the plan all along!

You mean the price ($21-25k) or the options I spoke of (33" tires & 11" clearance)?
    I'd also shrink that huge B-pillar--that's a parking lot fender-bender waiting to happen!
  • outdoorguyoutdoorguy Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a mid-size 4x4 and a small commuter car. I'd love to buy an xB and an FJ but won't buy either without a sunroof. I think Toyota is really missing the boat by not offering sunroofs on either of these two great cars. I have a 98 Isuzu Trooper 4x4 with a huge sunroof that goes halfway to the back seats. It has 150K miles and has been bullet-proof. Looks like I''ll pickup a 2002 4x4 Trooper w/ sunroof (last year they made 'em) or a 4-Runner 4x4 w/ sunroof to replace it....
    And I agree, the blind spot could hide a Cadillac DTS!

DrFill
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    For the life of me I don;t understand why you keep posting here if all you do is complain about this FJ. I am sincerely curious. I have looked at your previous postings and now I'm more perplexed than ever. Why such fixation ?
    started this thread to complain that Toyota has decided to build a new truck instead of a new Supra. Then the hosts played a trick and changed the thread's name on him. But being the originator of the thread, he has to post his displeasure once in a while! :-P

I wouldn't assume that we know every last finalized detail of FJ yet. For instance, if Toyota has no plans for the roof, like a standard roof rack or something, it is quite possible we will see an optional moonroof. After all, they have said they will make some other "upscale" equipment available as options on the FJ.

Jes, I just vent on occassion, to spice things up.

Actually, the FJ is starting to grow on me.

Like Hepatitis. :P

Like the song says, it's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

DrFill
  • tacojefftacojeff Posts: 5
    I'm hoping the aftermarket steps up and offers a roof rack that two can sleep on much like I've
    seen on some defender 90's. A hearty front bumper is a must. Very much looking forward to this
    vehicle and I agree with bpraxis in that it should trounce the H3 and it's 5 cylinder 220hp engine.
    yes, that IS what the song says! :-)

It is just nice to know that Toyota has not totally forgotten that once upon a time it built fairly basic and very rugged 4x4s for riding the trail or even blazing a new one, that is all. Everything they have now is way too big and upscale for a trail rider. The FJ should change that, I hope. (still crossing my fingers that we don't see major changes from the concept, and that there are fairly basic versions available)

I hope Toyota does make modifications to that B pillar area near the rear of the vehicle. After having browsed several forums on the FJ, I recently heard an automotive engineer indicate that it would be the worst blind spot in the vehicle industry if it went into actual production. I'm guessing that in the actual production model, Toyota will probably lengthen and stretch that second window near the suicide doors and have it align with the rear windows. I'm am also going to predict that we will probably not see the moonroof this year, similar to when the new Tacoma came out. This will be an aftermarket option. But in its second year as Toyota will probably include it as an option and start blending in some of the design cues from its 4 Runner.
  • jayhoodjayhood Posts: 2
    All the standard words about the FJ say "4WD", but that term often includes the AWD category. (Sometimes 4WD is used to mean part-time with a multi-speed transfercase, sometimes, just part-time, and sometimes anything that powers all 4 wheels, including AWD.)

Does anyone have specific information as to whether it is part-time (like the Tacoma) or full time (like the 4Runner)? In other words, will it have a center differential?

I even asked my local dealer that question. The answer: don't know, we get our information off of the web, too.
    I thought the Tacoma 4x4 and V-6 4Runner 4x4 used the same 4WD system? I am sure that is the one that will go in the FJ.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that only the V-8 4Runner is full-time 4WD.