Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• cbr600rrcbr600rr Posts: 19
    It does keep getting better!

http://www.toyota.com/movingforward/2005/march/fj.html

Here's the best part:

"Inspired by Toyota's legendary FJ 40, the contemporary FJ features the same white roof and wrap-around windows as the classic. Narrow headlamps bracket the front grille, which announces the Toyota name. The two outside mirrors sport spotlights. The license plate holder is set off to one side on the back of the vehicle next to a spare tire on a swinging rear door with a flip-up rear window. All five tires are pumped up to a brawny 32 inches in diameter. Also contributing to the rugged styling is a triple windshield wiper system."

This truck is going to kick as*! I can't wait to get one!!!!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    That's all the stuff that I wonder as to whether it will really make it to production. Stuff like mirror-mounted "sport lights" and triple windshield wipers. Not to mention 32x11.50 tires on a production truck would be pretty outlandishly big (not that I don't applaud that!). In fact, I am pretty sure those would be the biggest OEM tires on any light truck sold in the U.S. Perhaps some of the biggest full-size pick-ups have bigger, but we are talking about a small truck here. And big tires add cost, something Toyota has pledged to keep down.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    I think that they may make the tires an option, but I really like the triple wipers.
  • togloondatogloonda Posts: 16
    what is the mpg supposed to be like?
  • Nippononly is probably right: Toyota typically keeps down the cost of the base but loads up the price for useful options. For example, I would expect to have to buy a lot of additional (read overpriced) junk for a unit with bigger tires or side airbags. Try to find another Toyota with side curtains; one always has to buy the "limited" or just below that line. For example, a V6 AWD Highlander with curtains has an MSRP of about 31.5k whereas the base unit is thousands below that mark.

It should start in the lower $20k range but I would also not be surprised if the loaded version will run well into the $30k range. After all, 4Runner and HL price ranges are at least 10k from the base to the top of the line. Toyota has learned too much from the domestic manufacturers and has very different pricing strategies compared to Honda, Subaru, Nissan, etc. that typically sell only a handful of lines for each model.

V6 4Runner with Automatic: : 18 mpg / 21 mpg. Figure that FJ will be about 400-500 lbs lighter and that may give it another 1-2 mpg. However, it may not if it has bigger/wider tires and it may not be as aerodynamic as the 4Runner. On the flip side: it might get 1 mpg more in a stick shift.
  • gringo1gringo1 Posts: 67
    "V6 4Runner with Automatic: : 18 mpg / 21 mpg. Figure that FJ will be about 400-500 lbs lighter and that may give it another 1-2 mpg."

The specs are 4000 lbs for FJ vs. 5600 lbs for 4Runner.
    4runner must have a lot of extra crap on it

crap that I don't want
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    "The specs are 4000 lbs for FJ vs. 5600 lbs for 4Runner"

I think you are confusing the gross weight with curb weight. The true weight is the latter and 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD tops the scale at 4300 (per Edmunds). The FJ should be about 4000 + - so the difference isn't going to be that much. My take is the mileage will be about 22 hwy with manual tranny.
    You are correct!!!

Curb Weight is 4300 for the V6 4Runner per Edmunds.

The article citing the approx 4000 lbs curb weight for the FJ is linked here:

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101856
    Are you sure? I don't think it is - at least i couldn't find it. But 4000 pounds for the 4WD is a good estimate I think. Since it is smaller than the Tacoma, which weighs around 4000, I have faint hopes that it will come in at more like 3800, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Frankly, MPG is not going to be a factor for most folks thinking about this vehicle because it is overdesigned for just street use. If you want to chase MPGs, you should look into one of the Toyota's hybrids such as Prius or hybrid Highlander (coming out this summer). Of course, do not expect to ever make back the $4-5k premium that Toyota (and dealers) are currently... charging. You might have a chance if you drive 30-40k miles/year in city traffic. Just some "dollars and sense"...
    sells Prius at list...no premium. But that may not be common, I dunno. They say the wait list is down to 2-8 weeks.

It is true that for a real truck, this projected fuel economy is pretty decent. If you want a small SUV and don't need to go offroad or do anything else "trucky", then RAV or Highlander would be better choices.

Outfitted by its Legacy: Toyota's new FJ Cruiser provides kicks for today
    BOB GRITZINGER
    Published Date: 2/28/05
    2007 TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
    ON SALE: 2006
    From the weblink reference:

BASE PRICE: $23,000 (est.)
    POWERTRAIN: 4.0-liter, 245-hp, 282-lb-ft V6; rwd/4wd, five-speed automatic
    CURB WEIGHT: 4000 lbs (est.)
    0 TO 60 MPH: 8.0 seconds (est.)
    MORE FJ CRUISER: FJ CRUISER PHOTO GALLERY | FJ CRUISER FORUM | FJ CRUISER SPECS & INFO

If the interior is as spartan as Toyota claims, there can't be a lot of weight.

Oh, wait, those 20 inch tires, silly me.
    I see. Thank you! :-)

Imagine if the actual production model came with 20" rims - like the Ram or something. Not likely, thank goodness!

care what this thing is aimed at

I (me) want something with this capability

AND I want some kind of mpg for commuting

I want my cake and I want to eat it too.
    please no bling

functional and spartan
  • cbr600rrcbr600rr Posts: 19
    Well you will have to wait for your cake then! Toyota is working on making hybrid technology available in all their vehicles, but it will be a while before it's available in an FJ, if ever. You're best bet is to get a cheap, fuel efficent vehicle like a Corolla or Civic for commuting and keep the FJ for the fun stuff.

You can expect the FJ to get about 20-22 mpg (hwy).

As for pricing, I am sure the fully loaded models will be coming close to 28k, similar to the Tacoma. 100% worth the price IMO, it's a Toyota afterall!
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Posts: 156
    I used to have a "cheap" small car for commuting, and another "fun" car, but after a while it became apparent that the 2 car route just does not make financial sense, when insurance, payments/cost to purchase, registration, and maintenence, are all factored in. In short, you just will not make up the costs through the gas mileage difference unless you are diving 40 or 50k miles a year and the difference in efficiency of the 2 cars is huge. Of course if money is no object, and the fun car is a something exotic or completely impractical, maybe it works. But then, gas prices are not really the issue...
  • mrjjgittes: your are right, financially it is typically not possible to make a go of it with 2 cars per a person.

But: 2 very different cars can make sense if you have a spouse that has similar utility and desires. It is plausable to have a smaller sporty car for commuting and and SUV for family ski outings to the mountains. I have tried that: wife was orginally driving a sports car and I used the SUV during the week whereas sports car was fun on the weekends; later when our patterns changed, I got the sports car full-time and she got the SUV...

Irony: we now have 2 SUVs!