Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Most of the Toyota port installed options are very pricey and they get printed right onto the sticker.
    $600 remote starters, $500 glass breakage sensors, $200 floor mats etc..
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    if you want to be the first on the block with a brand-new FJ. If you are paying, they are playing :)
  • buddy13buddy13 Member Posts: 2
    They are going for $35,000 at all dealers in Orange County CA. First they load them up with all options then add a "market adjustment" of $5,0000! :mad: :mad:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is one of those that prides itself on "no dealer mark-up" - you know, they actually put a big red arrow sticker right on the window next to the sticker that says "No dealer mark-up - makes a difference".

So they will sell that FJ I saw at the whopping bargain of $33,8. Who will buy it at that price I just don't know, but I suppose someone will. There are always people prepared to pay a premium to be the first one on the block with the latest new thing.

jaxs1: OK, port-installed, maybe. I am sure it had floor mats, for instance. But nothing in that price was dealer-installed accessories.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    And yet it won't actually be better off-road than the current 4-Runner with the sport package. That big turning radius is a problem.
    I forgot - I meant to write a note to you.....I remember your semi-rantings on the plastic bumpers and whatnot based on your auto show experience, and now I see what you meant! This thing has the silliest plastic extensions out from the ends of the front bumper - if you grab them they actually wiggle and are obviously cheap plastic meant to mimic the metal bumper ends of the original FJ40.

If I bought one of these trucks, the first thing I would do as I left the lot would be to brush close to the exit posts in the driveway. Those silly-[non-permissible content removed] plastic extensions would rip off at the first bump into anything solid, and the front end would be a little more durable for the removal too.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...the first thing I would do as I left the lot would be to brush close to the exit posts in the driveway."

Or stand there with a 5lb. sledge in your hand in the parking lot, while customers looked on, saying to yourself "Yep, that's gotta go...."...WHAM!...."whoops, gotta get that too..."...WHAM!...."dammit, why didn't I bring my Sawzall?"
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    Was able to spend some time in one of these recently. Was excited and the exterior (while toylike) from a distance does not disappoint. Once up close it is more obvious where they cut some corners. :sick:

Nevertheless, the interior was the deal breaker. It is close in proper dimension only, and seriously in need of some quality bits. An FJ owner who was there wished for his old one back...he felt it was superior. Plain is okay, but bland would be a huge understatement. The seat fabric & quality was some of the worst I've ever seen. Call Okole now and get ready to buy some covers. It's unfortunate the front was an average experience, because accessing the rears was even worse. Can you say extended cab truck 1990's flashback? The vehicle is clearly long enough for 4 real doors, but they chose long front and miniature suicide rears for some unknown reason. :confuse: Styling?

The rear cargo are was plenty deep though. The blind spots sortof help it feel private back there. Still, doing time in the back seat of a new FJ is not for the non adventurous. :cry:

Strongly recommend you compare it to others back to back before you write an emotional check. It's seriously lacking in the functional and utility aspect. Will you be satisfied with the styling? I'm definitely waiting for the 4-door New Wrangler debut in New York. ;)
    ever been in a Honda Element, you have experienced rear seats like these. Only these are a little FURTHER back from the half doors than they are in the Element (which also has half doors).

The floors are ripply Rubbermaid plastic, but you can get carpeted floormats which hook into the correct locations. There is little floor space for your feet in the back, because the floor isn't flat - why not? I don't get it.

With the huge C-pillars, it is dark in back. This model would do well with the rear moonroof the Element has.

And the rear glass opens separate from the door, but whoa! Between its height and the huge spare wheel hanging on the door, I could not reach over the sill to grab anything inside with just the glass open, and I am 5'9".

Kinda cool: not only does it have all the gadgetry the 4Runner has (DAC, 115V outlet, etc) but one of those little buttons at the bottom of the center stack is for turning the subwoofer on and off. And the one I was looking at had package #2 (a very expensive package, BTW), which includes the retro dashtop gauge pack including inclinometer.

Check out the grille. On the original, it was metal and solidly anchored by itself into the front frame. The one we get is plastic - held in place by very thin, albeit perfectly standard for most cars - plastic arms.

Plastic grille, plastic lenses over the lights, which were originally CIBE sealed-beams(!). It's all asking to get hit and crumble.

The bumper "wings" - they literally *do* wobble with a few pounds of pressure. They are tacked on like most bumpers are, with little metal clips. hit a branch while off-roading... boom your front end looks hideous.

A Wrangler LWB, otoh, has a very small and close-in bumper. Nothing protrudes. I'd honestly take a LWB Wranger over this anyday - it's nice inside. The 4 door Wrangler, though - saw it at the auto show as well. Much to drool over.

Compare this to a 4-Runner for only a couple of thousand dollars more, and it's a laughable comparison. Toyota has made it's "PT-Cruiser" mistake of the decade. All glitz and too little substance. Wait till the off-road reports come in. Good off-road, but you better not hit anything hard. ie - gravel road Yuppie toy more than an in-your-face ground-pounder.
    Automobile magazine did a story on the FJ and I think it said it all. People will want this truck for its looks. They got accolades everywhere they went. OTOH, in a trip of 2000+ miles on mostly highway, they only managed 16.5 mpg?? And had a lot of the same issues with it that have been mentioned here, as well as not being able to reach the inside rear view mirror from the driver's seat, to adjust it.

They actually DO sell the FJ outside of the U.S.

No - for real. The original FJ was their military vehicle in Japan, and they still make them - it's called the MegaCruiser. If it's not born from a military transport, it's a toy.

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/MegaCruiser/mega_cruiser.htm

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z2035/default.aspx

Now THAT'S a 4*4. :) But it's a $75,000 One. We needed a scaled-down civilian version of this. We got something like everyone else makes. :(
    They actually DO sell the FJ outside of the U.S.

No - for real. The original FJ was their military vehicle in Japan, and they still make them - it's called the MegaCruiser. If it's not born from a military transport, it's a toy.

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/MegaCruiser/mega_cruiser.htm

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z2035/default.aspx

Now THAT'S a 4*4. :) But it's a $75,000 One. We needed a scaled-down civilian version of this. We got something like everyone else makes. :(
    Automobile magazine did a story on the FJ and I think it said it all.....in a trip of 2000+ miles on mostly highway, they only managed 16.5 mpg??

Did they use a truck with a manual tranny? It has a permanent 4x4, which explains the mileage. Motor Trend did a comparo of FJ, Xterra, H3 and Jeep GC, and said Xterra had the best on-road behavior. But Xterra comes with a part-time 4WD, while FJ they tested was a manual with a permanent 4x4. Kind of strange Motor Trend did not even mention that
    Yeah, theirs was an automatic, which I believe ONLY comes with the full-time 4WD? Or do I have that backwards? Now I might actually have to go back and look at the article again! :-P

• mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Saw one, actually two, at a local dealer yesterday. Silver and maroon(?). They were both 4x2's, and were over $25k. First thing I noticed was that they are pretty good sized. Certainly not Rav or CRV sized. Seemed bigger than a jeep liberty too. But pretty close to the new Xterra.

The back seat is definitely cave-like. The half-door windows don't open, and the back tailgate window is very small. Visibility...forget it. Quite a bit of form over function on this thing. Really the opposite of what you might expect.

The plastic silver inserts on the corners of the front bumper are just begging to be crushed.

The fabric on the seat however didn't bother me, and the dash was interesting.

Overall, I am not itching to have one. Maybe if a decked out 4x4 model was $25k I'd reconsider. Neither of the ones I saw were completely optioned out 4x2s either. I actually left the dealersip with the same feeling (i.e. that I'm being a bit manipulated with faux nostalgia) I had the first time I took a look at another Cruiser.......the PT.
  • submachinesubmachine Member Posts: 30
    I think the hype on these will down just like it did on that other Cruiser, the PT.

Its not only faux nostalgia, its faux practicality, as much as an H2.

I'm looking at the Dodge Nitro SRT as an alternative.
    is $23K with a stick, though, so later on when they are building more basic FJs, it should be possible to get one for about $25K with the stuff you need to go offroad. Maybe less, if demand peaks and drops off, and dealers will sell them under sticker.

Its pretty funny when the only thing good about an off-roader is its "styling", especially when its supposedly based on a functional SUV.

According to C&D, "A rear seat designed for prisoners, meager visibility, calibrated for trails instead of tarmac."

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=10778
    rates everything, even offroad trucks, on their potential to be race cars on the street. They liked the XTerra's huge power and ability to switch to 2WD, and docked the FJ for not being smooth or sporty enough on the highway. Sheesh. It's no Jeep Wrangler for highway ride and performance, so let's leave it at that. Beyond that, I would RATHER it be "calibrated more for the trail than for the tarmac". That's what I like about the 4Runners I have had (not the current gen).

Now as to the rear seat and visibility comments, yeah, you can't much argue with those.

well you won't believe it, but my local dealer sold that FJ I described (automatic with a $33,8 sticker) in ONE DAY. reason I know is, I just saw it drive by me on the street with temp registration in the window, and it is the only one they had received so far. Wow, someone wanted that truck bad enough to pay $34 THOUSAND for it one day after it came off the truck.

I also just had a chat with the sales guy at a different dealer near me, and he said theirs was a blue one and was never even available - it went straight from the truck into its new owner's hands. Also with a sticker above $30K. We can say what we want about the FJ, but it seems like it won't stop this model from being HOT.

It's really easy to sell out stock of any new vehicle that comes to the dealers in onesie twosies initially and will be pretty low volume even at the peak of production.
    "C&D rates everything, even offroad trucks, on their potential to be cars on the street."

Because only 4% of SUV owners go off-road, and if you are going offroad, the FJ is like a Wrangler without the convertible option.

I would say in a few years you will see many pre-owned FJ's for sale after the owners get tired of not seeing out of the back, horrible turning radius, ugliest interior, inability to open the back door unless you open the front door first, missing silver bumber caps, the fading style, the list goes on and on.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Two yellows came in on Thurs. both sold on the spot at $33K+ and 3 deposits taken on the next ones coming in.

One comment: as I was standing nearby. A father and two children got out of their Acura. He looked at the $33K sticker and said...'Ok, I'll take a Titanium one'... no test drive, nothing.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    'Ok, I'll take a Titanium one'

The economy must be good for some folks. You must love it.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Unfortunately... he wan't talking to me.. ;)

In this little backwater section on the EC it has been pretty stable and even consistently upbeat...
  • absolutboy20absolutboy20 Member Posts: 24
    A friend just bought an Avalon and had told me he saw a strange looking SUV in the lot so I immediately knew that the FJ's had come in. I rushed over to the dealership, they had a total of four on the lot. The blue one 33k sticker was already sold. I know two weeks ago when I went over there to look at the Rav they had a deposit down on four incoming FJ's. Turns out three of them, all silver backed out of the deal when they saw the vehicle. My impressions are the same as the ones who have posted as well, the rear seats are very cramped and dark.. Although the 33k blue one looked nice, I can't see myself putting down that much $$$.
    It's got 10 more approach and departure degrees, and a button activated sway bar disconnect. It will eat FJ alive off-road, I'm afraid. Plus, Wranglers allow for open air cruising :)

The problem, of course, is that the new Wrangler is 70 cm (about 30 inches) shorter than FJ. So, for those of us who want to camp in a truck, FJ seems to be a more viable alternative. To camp in a new Wrangler, it appears the front passenger seat would have to be removed.
    The 4-door LWB Wrangler I saw a prototype of was immensely interesting as was the pickup-truck looking thing.

I'd get a long wheelbase Wrangler over the plastic and crap I saw at the Toyota dealer yesterday.

- Front grille - exactly unchanged. My desire to rip out the headlights and fit some CIBEs in there was palpable.
    - Spare should be under the rear floor. Rear visibility on a test-drive was worse than an Intrepid. Just mind-bogglingly poor. Induced a few seconds of geunine paranioa when I was backing up - exactly like driving an old van.
    - Grossly, no - horribly cramped back seat. Think Yaris cramped. No reason, either - they could have moved the seats 6 inches back and made it easier to get into as well.
    - slathered interior not unlike the Yaris. Toyota is GM dreadful in fact in this. Their cars lately are all some injected plastic panel with nothing to break it up - no wood, no leather, no velour, no vinyl. And these things are pretty cheap to add.
    - Subwoofer looks like an aftermarket toy.
    - Feels very top-heavy in turns. Worse than a Wrangler in this aspect. Wrangler loud on the road. Yet it's like the Liberty - just bigger. Does off-road fine, I bet, but the upper half of the car is built like the biggest Yaris you ever saw.
    - $34K price. Only had loaded models, said they were never EVER going to order a non-loaded model, since there was no demand. IT'S A 24K TRUCK. It drives, feels, and looks like a $24K SUV. 10K in options and markup is GM's trick. Bad Toyota.

No, wait BAD Toyota was the Highlander Hybrid at $38K. Grossly overpriced piece of crap. That's excessive for adding a hybrid to a vehicle.

Also looked at the Yaris. J.A.C. Just a Car. Other than the fine engine, it might as well be - no it's actually not as good as a Suzuki or Hyundai. 34/39mpg(automatic)wasn't so bad, though. NO ABS. Did a computer search - found about ten in California - all loaded with all the options on it. A base model - it's GM/Ford/Chrysler all over again - ABS doesn't exist, effectively, unless you special-order it.

Cudos to Honda for making ABS standard on every model, btw. Toyota could learn something. Honda also plans to keep the price for its upcoming Hybrids to 2-3K added cost. An $18K Honda Fit Hybrid(next year) with Insight economy is going to gash a big bloody hole in Prius sales, and Toyota has nobody to blame but themselves.
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    would be this summer when gas is well over $3.00 a gallon.Doubtful that the greedy Toyota dealers will be price gouging with 5K markups on a vehicle that averages 15 mpg then,unless they want them to rot on the lot!
  • voodoofxvoodoofx Member Posts: 81
    Wrangler loud on the road? I've taken several friends for rides and they've all remarked on how quiet the FJ is. A little wind noise at 75mph but almost silent at idle. The ride on highway is way smoother than a wrangler. The engine has more than enough power for my use. Being a Toyota I'm sure reliability will not be an issue. I dont care about rear seat space, I'd rather have more cargo area. Guys are complaining about how hard it is to reach the rear view mirror? You have to be kidding! So far [200 miles] the only things I detest are the front bumper ends and the door mirrors. Both will get modified later.
    if all the poseurs that will never do anything more than drive it to the beach buy up this truck and keep the prices high. Problem is, Toyota made it too cute/distinctive-looking. So it won't sell to truck buyers, it will sell to show-offs who are just looking to be seen in it. :-(

Edit....voodoofx, I had no intent to include you in those remarks. And don't you just want to rip off those ridiculous plastic front bumper ends? Why don't you just do it, then you will never have to think about them again. :-P

The engine *is* quiet - but the wind and tire noise were well - it felt like SUVs of yore. My Friend's 4-Runner sounds the same, but that's because he raised it and put huge BFG All-terains on it. RRRRRRRRR.

New wranglers are considerably more quit than the old ones. Tons more padding and soundproofing. Engine needs a major overhaul, I'll be the first to concede.
    I guess a totally vertical windshield with huge slabs of side mirrors, and large all-terrain tires were bound to create a problem in the noise department, eh?! ;-)

• socalfjsocalfj Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up a Black 4x4 Auto FJ on Sat morning. It is pretty much loaded with conv. group, upgrade group#2, side curtains, running boards, roof rack, exactly the way I would have built it myself. The only option missing was the tow hitch and bike rack for my Lemond. Dealer was asking sticker and nothing more. It drives great and the turning radius is 10 times better then my Montero Sport with a much better ride too. The back seat is great. No complaints from my 16 year old daughter and friends. The rear door is easy to open and close without much effort. The FJ is replacing my Boxster as a daily driver and I couldn't be happier. The roof rack is a little noisey if you don't have the radio on at all. I'm not an avid off-roader but am looking forward on finding some trails.
    you don't hold anything back, do you?! :-)

Of course, the FJ stomps all over the 4Runner in the looks department, DOESN'T scream "soccer mom mobile", and comes available with a stick. Three powerful reasons to choose it over the Runner.

Plus, if you consider opening a door "added effort", you may be too old for the FJ anyway!! :-P

Just kidding on that last one there, sub.

You know, IIRC the FJ also doesn't have those awful weird HVAC controls the Runner does, you might call that a plus too.

Ten years from now, it is the FJ, not the '03-07 4Runner, that you are going to see out there in the dirt with the Jeeps and the pick-ups. I wonder where Toyota will go next with the Runner.

• socalfjsocalfj Member Posts: 2
    How many people considering an FJ actually look at the 4 Runner as an option? Completely different vehicles IMO. Wrangler or Cherokee, let me see. I never even considered a Toyota until the FJ and have never owned a Toyota before. I would never own or want a 4 Runner. The styling, quirkiness, plastic interior, rubber floor board and mats is the reason why I chose the FJ. The 4 Runner is boring, old and the interior styling is worse then the FJ. To get a brand new Toyota 4x4 V6 loaded with almost every possible option and a 6/100k warranty for $30k. There's nothing comparable. Jeep, never and you better get the extended warranty or else. Xterra, dated styling. H3 if your a girl.
    "H3 if your a girl"

LOL, your only justification for the FJ is that it looks quirky and trendy, the 4Runner looks boring, the Xterra "styling" is dated.....can you get any MORE girlishly superficial than that?

By your own logic, the FJ is made for girls and soccer-moms who like its "cutesy" styling and "quirky" colors, and everyone knows that will last about 12 months.
    I think the FJ will attract people to the dealership and many will switch to a 4Runner when they are turned off by high markups on the FJ. $30K will buy a very nicely loaded and discounted 4Runner vs a FJ with a bunch of tacked-on, heavily marked-up junk accessories and ADP.
    My friend took a 4-runner and a Land Rover side by side - test drives on the same day. He specifically asked for the demonstrator model as he planned of do some off-roading on it(local fields and unpaved roads and such - nothing suicidially major).

He tried hills, he tried the assist modes. He tried to get it to slide, he did doughnuts at 30mph in a freshly plowed field(lol - THAT was a blast, btw).

The 4-Runner with the Sport package(active suspension) matched the Land-Rover point for point. It may look ugly, the the 4-Runner Sport is as capable as the Discovery off-road, but with Toyota resale value, reliability, and a much lower cost.

He then took it out a few months later against his Wrangler with the 6cyl engine, stickshift, DANA rear end, and so on. The 4-Runner whomped on the Wrangler so badly that the sold it and stuck with the Toyota. I've seen the videos - it's clear that the Wrangler isn't keeping up in any way other than extreme slow going over rocks, where it's marginally better, if only due to its lighter weight.

But on-road - the X-Reas suspension is astounding - nearly zero body lean on mountain roads. Soft and almost Buick-like on the highway. Worlds better not only off-road, but on, compared to even the base model.

FJ? It's not even close. At $24K for a base model, it's not too bad. For $32K? That's plainly in 4-Runner land.
    1. What is the color of the backlighting of the gauges?

2. What is the distance between the back of the passenger seat (when you slide it all the way forward) and the tailgate?

3. What fuel economy have you got so far?

4. Any squeaks or rattles? ;)

Many thank yous!
    Most people, including those posting here, buy vehicles for superficial reasons otherwise everyone's daily driver would be a 4cyl. Camry wagon. All the off-road performance reviews I've read have raved about the FJ's abilities with only minor mods. I doubt that a near stock, longer, narrower, higher center of gravity $Runner could compete in most conditions. One more point I suggest going to the dealer and [when no-one is around] giving the FJ body a few slaps, it's suprisingly solid [dare I say "jeep like". Do NOT try that with an Xterra!
    two more at the dealer I visited last night - both sold in less than a day. Two more 4x4 automatics, one silver, one yellow, both with the exact same equipment and priced $10 shy of $30K. And this dealer is marking them UP $1995!

• yzynotyzynot Member Posts: 1
    I really like the FJ...but if you sit in the back and close the doors...it feels like you are heading into an MRI (the older kind). This isn't a problem if all you are carrying in the back is a keg....but I would think that kids would get tired of it. My F150 extended cab has suicide doors as well...but the kids aren't in it much. Oh well....maybe next year the pillar won't be as wide...or they will put sunroofs over the rear the way the jeep commander does.
    That what makes FJ attractive from the "camping in the truck" standpoint. The little back side windows provide good privacy, especially if the windows are tinted.

The way Toyota has gone with the Land Cruiser, in 20-30 years FJ will evolve into an H2-sized behemoth, and everyone will be fondly remembering the original 2007 FJ :)
  • jim_djim_d Member Posts: 4
    Well, I bought a black 4x4 today since it was the only 4x4 they had (they had a couple of 2 wheel drives at the dealership). As far as I could tell it had every option known to man, some of which I wanted, some of which I could certainly live without. I'm going to pick it up on Friday since I insisted they swap out the tires for Goodrich Radial All Terrains (which they grudgingly agreed to do). Since I've been four wheeling a '93 FJ 80 for the last thirteen years I'm really looking forward to getting this one into the mountains (as well as not having to be such a good judge of distance when attempting to pass people on two lane highways). I'm also looking forward to getting a good lift kit and an ARB brush guard when they're available. The tires look plenty big enough so I don't see any need to upsize them. I looked at the bike mounts but decided to pass since I don't like having a bike fully upright on top, so I'll probably look into getting a Yakima. I sort of like the wind shield/off-road light option but I forgot to see if it was available yet. I'll call tomorrow and see if it is and how much they want to hold me up for it.
    Judging from the boards, the FJ is not only NOT being bought by off-road enthusiasts, but by people who aren't even test-driving it.

What does that tell you about the vehicle and the market its going after, and what does that say about who will be driving the FJ?
    Let's wait a month or so, and then we'll see. Right now, much of the buying is emotional, based on the looks and having the first FJ on the block. After people read about the not-so-great fuel economy, get used to seeing FJs around, hear reports of the first minor mechanical issues, the enthusiasm will subside and the buying will become more rational.

Then, after a much improved quality-wise Jeep Wrangler will come out this Summer, FJ will really be tested as far as dealers being able to charge MSRP and above
    Right, the new Wrangler will blow the doors of the FJ in the off-road / convertible category, and the new Nitro will blow the doors of the FJ in the on-road category.

As for its looks, im tired of it already, back to the 4runner for a real Toyota SUV
    But I can't afford 2 new vehicles so I'll settle for the FJ. Did anyone posting here say they did not test drive before purchase? I drove mine tho my dealer certainly would not let me test one off road, no dealer [of any make] around here would, the liability problem would be horrendous.
    You like Jeeps, I like Jeeps, I've owned a Jeep, but this time I wanted a bit more comfort and reliability.