Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• fj07fj07 Posts: 89
    You must not live with Southern Cali traffic!
    Plus I rather have automatic when I am off roading up some rocky terrain. Little easier without stalling and burning up a clutch. :sick:
  • yes, but cali traffic and a burning clutch need not change your gender
    EZ, cmon' now....
    I have had manual on 4 out of 5 of my vehicles and currently do. But I don't really see the advantage of it over manual with the exception on a sports car and that it saves you around $900 at purchase.
  • i'm kidding, of course. or am i? i was just beyond thrilled when i saw the specs for the FJ - a truck with a 6-speed manual. you have to admit there is something entirely empowering/appealing/provocative about that.
  • If anyone is going to Ojai can you please ask about, price(tell them to keep it down!!!), options, packages, after-market gear and final colors. Try to get all the info that you can. Thanks guys. Have fun and drool on the water resistant seats for me.
  • So, did I miss something? What's going on in Ojai? :confuse:
  • Toyota show in Ojai, CA SAT NOV 19th...It was advertised on the toyota.com site. We should find out a lot more by tomorrow night and have some pictures....oh yeah, check out the thread posted by a guy in the FJCRUISERFORUMS.COM. The thread is titled "FJ Cruiser Specs"
  • I am a little disappointed about the fact that the windows on the half doors don't open. This vehicle would basically be our new SUV, and I'm not sure that I can live without rear opening windows.

In any event, I also want to see what the new 4 door 2007 wrangler will look like. If it is similar to the concept jeep rescue, it could be very interesting.

Also, it will be interesting to see how toyota prices the FJ with popular options. I was very interested in buying the new Tacoma, until I saw that it would cost over $30k to get one in 4x4, w/ 4 doors, tow package, and side airbags. $30k is just too rich for my blood for a truck. I hope the FJ comes in below that.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• twaintwain Posts: 185
    I hate the wheel on the back and the side opening door. The same with the CRV and the RAV4. I hate it so much it's a deal breaker. The new RAV4 or the FJ would be very appealing if not for that rear door.

I have a garage and often open the rear hatch with the garage door closed. Couldn't do that with a side opening rear door. And the side opening door is less convenient when parked at the curb and loading stuff. Love the half doors on the FJ... hate the rear door.
  • I have to somewhat agree. Everything about the FJ Cruiser is appealing to me except the rear hatch setup. I would like to see an electric rear window like the Toyota Tundra so you can drive with all the windows open and let the air escape out the back instead of getting a buffeting effect. Put the electric rear window into a "tailgate" that folds down flat. This makes the FJ Cruiser a much more functional vehicle allowing the ability to carry longer items when needed and a shelf/seat while outback. If the spare tire has to be on the back, then incorporate it into a swing or tilt down mount, so this otherwise great new entry can have an electric rear window with tailgate like it should!
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    ever try to change a flat tire in a foot of mud when the spare is underneath the truck?
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,116
    How large is your garage? The FJ is relatively short, and there may in fact be room to swing the rear door out most of the way if not fully. BTW, the H3 employs a similar design, but even if you're on perfectly level ground (like in your garage), you can't partially open the door and leave it, because it has a hydraulic arm that will open it the rest of the way (and slam it into your garage door).

I just stumbled over here... I don't think I will buy an FJ, but they are really neat. They look like the old off-roaders--not just Toyota, but Land Rover as well.
  • ggg50ggg50 Posts: 4
    I read with considerable interest the varied opinions dealing with the Toyota FJ Cruiser. A number of comments made the vehicle age related. I am over 70 and we have a home in the high mountains. We have enjoyed serious 4-wheeling for years and are currently looking for a new option. Quality and reliability rule out another Jeep product. We are excited over what we see and read thus far about the FJ. Many of us who love the outdoors are all potential buyers for a quality 4X4. Toyota / Lexus now has a great track record for excellence. Lets hope they are able to deliver this product as currently outlined. Those who are turned off by any aspect of this new vehicle should keep an open mind until it is available for close inspection. If you still do not like it, continue to look at other options for it would be shame if we all loved the same vehicle.
  • I am so disappointed! Voodoo blue? What's next? Devil red? Witch black?

Someone's not thinking at Toyota...
    Tommy: I am having trouble finding your pictures listed in the photo gallery section. Are they there?
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Posts: 158
    Try this link:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=351

If that doesn't work, go to gallery, member's gallery, page 2, toyotommy.

I can tell you that this vehicle is no dressed-up grocery getter. This car is designed for off-roading. For those looking for a comfortable for four ride, look elsewhere.
    Yeah, I want to off-road with friends and you just can't with the leg room in the FJ. It may be less than the Wrangler's leg room!
    I am going with the Xterra personally I can deal with that leg room.
    All Toyota needed to do was make a 4Runner without all the luxery stuff, sold it for $8K less and they would have had a winner!
    Tommy: I found your site. Great pictures. Thanks for the help and for sharing. Do you know by chance if the colors you saw are going to be production colors. The colors seen are very different for those listed as available options. I really liked the Mocha. Thanks again for your great pictures. Your pictures of the gasoline filler door looked like a mandate for premium. Is that your understanding??
    One of the pictures now appearing shows the rear door closed with the rear window open. "Pop Out Style" This at least allows items to retrieved or placed in the rear without having to open the door. This door design is why we did not buy a Lexus GX 470 this past Sept. I agree there could be a better rear door option but the current design will not keep us from carefully considering the FJ.
    Those different colors were created with Photoshop. They are not real.
    I have the Titanium pics that I took at the Off Road Expo Here along with some photoshoped colors one of wich is my favorite the dark Green.
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    I'm rather concerned...

1. The vehicle will be more expensive (Toyota's seem to be lately). Hello XTerra!
    2. Back seat headrests seem minimal AT BEST.
    3. R&D?? There's only a mule of this thing rolling around. To be sold in only a month or 2? There are MANY of the new Wrangler mules!

The new 4-door Jeep Wrangler is looking better and better. :shades:
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I'm sure they've built many, many mules and they've tested them for hundreds of thousands of miles. I'm also sure they're not just testing here in the US. In fact, I strongly suspect that the bulk of their testing is being performed overseas. Which is one of the reasons that you're not seeing a lot of spy photos.

Anothe reason is that Toyota has long been known for keeping new products under very tight wraps.

You can say a lot of things about Toyota, but they're not known for shipping poorly developed products the first year.
  • Toyota does not want to cannibalize its 4Runner market and thus it has to offer substantially lower value in the FJ. Thus, we hear all the complaints about the rear gate/window, rear seats, & packages. Clearly, this is Toyota's answer to the Xterra which has really hurt Toyota SUV sales because it is rugged and cheaper than any true off-roader in the Toyota stable. Look for the pricing to moderate within a few months of release in order to combat the competion from you guessed it: Xterra and the New Jeep Wrangler.

The slide in the SUV prices is going to continue as the gas prices stay up and the consumer prefernces towards SUVs moderate further. SUV have been a very high profit product for all automakers as they cost as much as sedans to produce but they actually sell at a hefty premium...
  • It's good to see more than just that blue one exist.

Let's hope they're wrong about the $29,500 part.
  • zombozombo Posts: 89
    No offense to anyone posting in this thread,but I'm seeing posts complaining about the lack of sunroofs,leather seats,electric rear windows,MP3 compatability,lack of 4 doors,blind spots,and so forth.Isn't this vehicle being made primarily to go offroad and climb rocks,not make trips to the mall and haul the kids to soccer practice? If anyone is familiar with the original FJ40 it was more hardtop jeep than suv and a very spartan offroader with rear seats that folded down from the side.Maybe Toyota is trying to get the best of both markets by marketing this as an suv than is offroad capable,but I'm guessing with that stiff offroad suspension it won't be the vehicle anyone would want to take long trips with.

And I can't believe there are people putting deposits on a vehicle that they have never driven and whose MSRP is still a mystery!I hope those deposits are fully refundable.The best time to buy a vehicle like this is in the summer when the price of gas will soar to near $3 a gallon or more,unless you want to pay a premium to be the first kid on the block with one.
  • Looks like FJ is going to give Jeep Wrangler a run for its money.

BTW, does anyone know if the production FJ going to have a folding front passenger seat, like Xterra?
  • zombozombo Posts: 89
    I agree with the poster who said Toyota missed the mark with the FJ.If it was more like the Jeep Wrangler than Exterra suv with a rollbar and removable hardtop/softtop and priced under 25K it would be a runaway sales success!Sure it will sell to the hard core offroaders,but the people who buy it looking for a unique suv will soon tire of it's rough ride and lack of creature comforts that they've become used to in a suv.