Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warranty Claims Administration

Comments

• LOL.

Well, we know what department YOU work in! I don't know how big your dealership is, but our principal probably doensn't even know the finance guy's name.

In the particular cases that I have in mind, we (the service department) have only sent customers back to finance when we had exhausted our ability, and hours upon hours, to resolve the problem. Lazy had nothing to do with it.

You should spend a week in service. Really.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    I have been around dealerships long enough to know what headaches each department has. I would not write service, it does not pay enough for the BS you have to put up with. the only job in service I would do is be a dispatcher. They sit in there hole and never get bothered.

Any service writer who claims the F&I guy knows more about a warranty then they do should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Yes, out of the ordinary. When you purchase your vehicle you agree to the terms of your warranty on your contract--which is that they will repair anything that is defective-not refund you the amount it would cost to fix it. If they did refund you the amount--it only cost them about $150 to repaint a panel--really not worth the money to go after. However, you can ask for them to provide you with alternative transportation. They may or may not give it to you as the basic warranty does not cover such a service
  • While you're always welcome to respond to any post at any time, I'm thinking that since he posted his question in October 2006, he's probably sorted out the details by now :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mkmc1mkmc1 Posts: 7
    Wife's 07 BMW 530 Wagon - 40K miles - well under warranty. Elec system went out two days ago, towed to dealer (STL area) yesterday. Rep calls and says "this is going to take awhile and be really expensive - we found water in the trunk(?!) and we think you left the gate open - warranty may not cover....". Really? She only uses the auto close feature and the gate has NEVER been left open for any extended time.

UPDATE: service rep says water has collected in spare tire well and fried out circuit board(s) located there. He also says BMW warranty people have been in taking pix and if they cannot find a leak or bad seal during a water test (results of which unavailable till next week(?!), then it's our dime.

What are they trying to pull? Any feedback on what response I should give them? We're in limbo right now....thanks.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    Well what I think is happening here is the classic battle between dealer and factory, which is often adversarial. The dealer doesn't want to repair the car, submit a warranty, and have the claim denied; so he's probably calling in the factory field rep to document the claim prior to the dealer fixing it.

If they don't find a leak, you could have a fight on your hands, so you might want to start thinking of alternative strategies.
  • mkmc1mkmc1 Posts: 7
    Alternate strategies: Going up ladder to BMW or their warranty divison? Small claims court (ugghh)? Does BMW have a consumer relations department that might handle? This is NOT promising - and here, we were just discussing an extended warranty with the dealer a few weeks ago - if this is what we can expect - no way.
    Well your "case" is an interesting one and if I were you I'd do the water tests myself as well, and video-cam the whole process. (I mean, if they decide to play hardball).

Yes you can contact BMW customer relations and ask them to review the case, should it be declined. I think it would make a great court case myself but that's a real PITA.

Water could intrude through the tailgate seal, through the TAIL LIGHT gaskets, or through body seams underneath or in the wheel wells.

One way to test would be to line the area in question with newspaper, and then run through a car wash (including the type of wash that cleans the underside) and see what happens.
  • newroc_vtnewroc_vt Posts: 1
    Hello All

I have a 4 star car warranty which i would want to cancel as i am going to put the car up for sale.Does any one know what the dealer would be chraging as comission for the cancellation once he receives the cheque from the warranty company.
  • infinitimninfinitimn Posts: 137
    So please share the outcome of your dispute.
  • Are there any Honda ones out there???
  • Question: This is my first Nissan that I bought. I included the extended warranty on the car. I bought the car a good distance from my home. We have kept up with maintenance on the car, however, we did not save the receipts for oil bought. I now have a problem with my Murano 2010, 28,000 miles, with white smoke when starting my car. I took it to the dealer and provided him with my service record of when we changed the oil. Because there was sludge in the oil, they want receipts for the oil purchased. We have only ever used what was stated in the manual. We were never told to save receipts for such things as oil, window washer fluid, air filters, etc. Now Nissan doesn't want to honor the warranty. The dealership won't even diagnosis what's wrong with the car. Where is it stated that receipts must be kept for 'normal' supplies for your car? The manual states that 'records' need to be kept and that the owner can do it, nothing about receipts.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Where did you have the oil changes done? Most shops or garages keep receipts.

Keep fighting. Nissan is trying to avoid paying for a new engine. Also here's a link to a similar situation: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100221091536AAmdIXV
  • Thank you for your reply. We didn't take our car to a shop for oil changes, we do our own. My husband has been doing oil changes for 30+ years. We cannot find it written on any of our paperwork from the dealership nor the owners manual and no one at the car dealership told us to keep receipts (since we refused other offers at the time like lifetime inspections because we lived so far from them) they knew we wouldn't be driving that distance for our maintenance. ....And still no one told us to save receipts.

We find it 'ironic' how we receive all these promotional things from Nissan/Dealer but never received any literature on how Murano's are having engine issues. It is a shame that we are only finding out now as we research our problems (such as the link you sent to us of the woman that owned a 2007 Murano and having same issues). It just seems our issues are not uncommon from what we have read from numerous Murando owners. I would have thought Nissan would have sent some warning out to have our cars checked.

As you can see, I am very disheartened by all of this by how much I have written. After all the money we have spent on this product plus the extended warranty only to find that Nissan will not stand behind their product after we have done what we read from the owner's manual to do (maintenance). If in the future you think of something else that would be helpful I would appreciate hearing about it.

So far, no one has gotten back to me as to where in print it is stated to save receipts in the owner's manual.
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 611
    The dealer needs you to prove you changed your oil. A list of dates and mileages of when the oil was changed is just that: a list. You could have written that up last week for all they know. Dated receipts are a bit harder to fake.

If they're looking at a sludged-up engine that looks like it hasn't had it's oil changed in 2 years, they may have reason to disbelieve you.
  • billy3554billy3554 Posts: 147
    Just an example of why an extended service contract is a bad way to spend money. Too much small print.
    I think we did point that out already---the actual warranty that comes with the car has the wording in it that requires you to keep receipts for service work not done at the dealer.

(quote)

"As a condition of this warranty, you are responsible for
    properly using, maintaining and caring for your vehicle
    as outlined in your OWNER’S MANUAL and your
    NISSAN SERVICE & MAINTENANCE GUIDE, and
    maintaining copies of all maintenance records & receipts for review by Nissan."
  • Thanks, Mr Shiftright....however, the wording in my warranty book states, 'you should' not 'must'. I have owned many new cars and have only kept receipts of replacement things. Also, the Owner's Manual just states to keep records. I am in compliance with what Nissan has stated in both manuals. I don't understand how both of us have different wording in our books.

By the way, take a look at what the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 says. It's worth checking out.
    Well we can play lawyer with the wording but the fact is, you are between a rock and a hard place here, and my best advice is to take a hard look at all your best options. Suing Nissan is going to be mighty expensive, since it is Nissan and not the dealer who is (allegedly) denying your warranty.

I think your best bet is to negotiate with Nissan directly and try to work out some kind of legitimate "split" on the cost of repairs, or maybe (hopefully) get them to finally, reluctantly pick up the tab after sending a tech to examine your car. Maybe in the end it's still going to hurt, but maybe only half as much.

Legal cases are not about fairness, they are about maneuver, so you need to develop a strategy that has a good chance of working.
  • Yes, I look forward to it.