Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• juttjutt Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2000 club cab 4.7 with factory 31inch tires. The truck only has 30K on it. The gas mileage is horrible, i've tried airfilter, gas treatment ect... The plugs appear to be fine. The truck has a 22 gallon tank and gets 210 miles per tank. ANY suggestions would be helpful
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    You did not say if it has 4X4 and you did not tell us the differential ratio. If you have the optional ratio designed for towing, your MPG could be impacted.

I can tell you that my 2000 Dak with 4.7L SemiHemi and manual xmission gets about 200 miles at the HALF tank mark and can touch 300 miles per tank if I want to push it. (shape of gastank makes second half of tank go faster)

I can tell you that 30,000 miles is still below the point where my engine "loosened up". Perhaps as you continue to drive the MPG will increase. (dont forget the all-important bursts of full-throttle accelleration to help seal the rings.)
  • I had a 2001 4,7 4x4 and now I have a 2006 4.7 4x4. The 2001 had all wheel drive as standard with 4 wheel as optional, the new truck is rear wheel standard. The 01 would get about 14, the 06 gets about 15. I drive a mix of about 50% highway and 50% backroads. MPG is not the greatest. I have heard that conservative driving adds couple of mpg's but I cannot seen to drive that way. So many recommendations, air filters, plugs, oils..... My suggestion. Get used to it or get rid of it.
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Posts: 23
    actually, xscout they proved on mythbusters that driving with the tailgate up gives better mileage ;)
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    Interesting! That seems illogical, and I've always heard the opposite, but sometimes you get a surprise!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    There is a website you can search for in which a college student did his thesis about this subject. He collects a lot of data and the results are interensting.

In short- Adding a cap or a tonno cover gives better MPG due to the smoother airflow over the rear of the truck.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    The reason the airflow is better with the tailgate closed/up is because the air that hits the tailgate comes back forward and forms a bubble, and subsequent airflow goes over this bubble and over the tailgate.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• 01 Dak Quad Cab 4X4 2657016 GY RTS, tow package, ARE MX Shell. Bone Stock engine, Castol Syntec and all synth fluids. 65K miles total.
    14 around town, only 6 miles to work so it rarely gets fully warm. 19-21 highway at 70. Worst milage 6, in deep sand at the beach. Guess what if you drive enough on the beach with RTS raised outline white letters, you get partial whitewalls, or at least graywalls.

I'm having the dreaded sway bar squall. Any ideas on what to lube them with? Since I beach drive a lot, I want a dry lube if possible. Does Dodge make a retrifit kit to the later sqeak resistant bushings?

BTW, I spend about an hour with a leaf blower and a hose sprayer getting sand and salt out of the frame and undercarriage.
  • oscar5740oscar5740 Posts: 10
    Hi all. I'm currently weighing whether or not to purchase a used '07 Dakota 4x4 with the HO V8. The dealer is telling me it takes regular, but from what I'm reading premium is recommended. Anyone have experience with this? Also, any significant difference mileage-wise in running regular vs. premium in that engine?

Any insite would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    In 2003 Dodge changed the sway bar bushings to a different material. Mine have never made a noise. I would suggest checking with a dealer for replacements. I have seen aftermarkets available, too, but I cannot attest to their improvement over the newer facter bushings.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Posts: 159
    Change the oxygen sensors.
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Posts: 159
    Is anyone driving a new V6 Quad? What is your gas mileage?
    Mick
  • bda54bda54 Posts: 8
    If the oxygen sensors were outside tolerances, wouldn't it generate a fault code for the computer?
  • mjf1mjf1 Posts: 1
    :lemon: I have 2800 miles and get about 9-10 MPG...what's up with that??
    From November 1st 2007 through 31 March 2008 the average fuel mileage on my Dak is 16.45 MPG. The lowest tank was 13.91 in mid-January.

So far with the warmer weather in April the average is 17.73 with the last two tanks over 18. The total to-date average for 66 months is 16.89 lifetime. I now have 98136 miles on the vehicle.

Dusty
  • themacguythemacguy Posts: 416
    now has 200,000+ miles, always used lowest grade fuel (87 in w.tx./n.m. but 85 in colo.), but here in w. tx. our fuel is 'freshly minted' without a few additives seen elsewhere... shell fuel is one of the best about low additives, as porsche recommends it for my 944 and all their 911's and boxsters too. their fuel makes for a denser charge and better flame-front (with good plugs and ignition). i have no reason to doubt them, though i don't really like shell much. nobody out here in the w.tx. oilpatch likes them or oxy.
    lowest mileage was before it broke in fully at about 8k. overall was about 12-13 in town, 18 hwy. after break-in i have regularly gotten 15+ in town and 19-20 hwy. lowest when pulling 5k# trailer in oilfield (don't have figures, but LOW) and highest in mountains of colo. with large suzuki 1200 madura or yamaha xs11 midnight special in bed - 550# or so - averaged 'well over' 20 mpg (i calculated couple of tanks at 22+ mpg back in '01 in colo. mtns. on 85 octane gas!!!). mileage went down when i changed the orig. plugs with splitfires (significantly) at about 110k. i put the old ones back in, mpg went back up. replaced them at just under 150k with oem from dodge dealer. mpg is still good, but i don't drive it much now. will check back here with fresh results. i've kept every receipt and mileage book since day one, and i might go look all that data up someday... would be a large data post...
    btw - this dakota has NEVER been in the shop for anything. i've fixed all the little user-issue stuff myself, changed the fluids (except for tranny flushes) and i'm no mechanic. it's been a superb truck. still looks brand spankin' new. i've had many, many cars/trucks and it is the BEST by a long shot. it'll see 1/2 million miles fer shur before i park it in the collection. proudly!
    my overall feeling is that a 4.7 dak, setup like mine, gets the worst mpg when it sees a tundra next to it at a stoplight (or one of the cartoon diesel trucks with the HUGE exhaust and the lil gauge pod thingie in the a-pillar), and it gets the BEST mpg when driven just under 2000 rpm - steadily. it's a torque 'sweet spot' that's hard to maintain since the engine is so playful right about there.
    addictive is another word.
    jack b :-) in
    midland, tx usa
  • my 2000 Quad Cab has the 3.9 V-6. I have an AirAid Short Ram intake and Gibson Headers with a Gibson Catback exhaust. on a trip from Oceanside to San Fransisco I got 23.7 almost all highway. lately Ive been doing more city driving and getting 17 though.
  • how is your driving style?
    At 100779 miles my Dak now has a lifetime average of 16.93 MPG.

Interestingly, in April when temperatures here were still in the thirties and forties, I ran five tanks of Mobil 93 high test through the Dakota in a row. I noticed that the idle seemed to improve and gas mileage jumped from a previous four week average of 16.43 MPG to 17.21. When switching back to Mobil 87 it remained the same.

Except for changing out the rear differential fluid, I just completed a full tune-up:plugs, PCV valve, air filter, and oil change. I had 49,814 miles on the Bosch Platinum Plus 4s and the air filter didn't seem very dirty.

I immediately noticed a difference. The engine was definately performing better with stronger launches and noticeableby more effortless at cruising speeds. Since this the average has jumped to 18.43 with one tank at 19.88. These were mostly around town miles with about 30% expressway driving.

Although I've recommended the Bosch Platinums to others, this is the second time I've noticed a difference after changing them out. The first time I cannot say I saw a big increase in gas mileage, but then again as others have noticed, the more miles you put on a 4.7 the better they run and the better the gas mileage gets. Anyway, despite claims I wouldn't leave these plugs in for 100,000 miles.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • 65chick65chick Posts: 2
    i have 2002 3.9L club cab and i get about 12 mpg. i dont hot rod it. i just drive around town, all city driving and usually just for short trips to work or store. it hasnt been on any long huals. but just around town i get 12 mpgs. 230 miles out of a tank, is this normal or what can i do to impove it. i already purchased a k&n air filter.