Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solar Powered Cars - in our Future?

13»

Comments

• mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    My concerns about solar panels are these:

1. What do they cost to install?
    2. How often do they break down?
    3. When they do break, what do they cost to fix?

My hunch is that whatever cost savings you might see on your energy bill would be eaten up by the maintenance cost (car or house). Plus, they're kind of ugly.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    Here is a company that lists their installed products. Note that in CA you get a big rebate on the installation. The average installed price is about $20k. Pay off in 12 years. The panels are warranted by the manufacturer for 25 years. That is a big improvement from the system I put on my home in AZ. It lasted a little over 4 years and the company was out of business. The interest on $20,000 would pay my electric bill.

http://www.carlsonsolar.com/detailed_system.htm
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    ...this catching on. Not at $20K with a 12 year payoff. Too high a cost of entry, and the payoff is too far away (a lot of people don't stay in the same house for 12 years).
    I would only consider solar if I was in Hawaii. Some areas do not have commercial power. And those that do are very expensive. My bill on a house I own in Hilo averages $480 per month with No air conditioning or heat. Just cooking, lights and hot water. There I could probably recoup the cost.
  • eaaeaa Posts: 30
    gagrice in AZ,

I put grid tied solar on my home in AZ in 2001 with no incentives or net-metering. In 2004 I petitioned SRP and we all now have net-metering.
    My system has worked perfect. I installed it myself and save 100 a month and only paid 12K. I have solar screens to block heat in summer , 2 solar tube lights, energy star Lennox heat pump at 16.5 SEER, efficient fridge from Sears, Compact florescent lights and even use a solar over a lot.
    What happened to your system ?, maybe I can fix it for you for free.
    There are super companies now in AZ to install and do all paperwork for State,FED and Util incentives. Call American Solar in Scottsdale, they are the best. JIM
    The home is in Havasu. I sold it in 1987. Back then the warranty was 5 years. The manufacturer did not stay in business that long. I guess I was ahead of the curve. I was trying to cut my $280 per month electric bill.
13»
This discussion has been closed.