Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Crown Vic and Grand Marquis

Comments

• Hi jcbahr,
    I'm not really clear what it is you're looking for. Wiring diagrams for all model years of the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis?

This discussion is about future models, but we can try to point you toward better discussions for your questions. However, if you want detailed wiring information you're likely to have to purchase a repair manual like Chiltons, or purchase a subscription at alldataDIY.com if you need it ASAP.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Could Ford make an AWD option available with the current panther platform, or would it require enough rework that it'd not be worth it (and better to start over)??
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Ford will show a concept car based on the Mustang called the Interceptor that may preview a CV/GM replacement. The concept (to me) looks like a downsized early 1960's full size Ford sedan with a Super Chief front end.
  • This excerpt comes from the 1-10-07 USA Today, Business Section, and the article title is Automakers Roll out Hopes For Recovery. The part I'm tying to the CV is at the bottom.

Here is the link, working for now anyway...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-01-10-detroit-show-wed-usat_x.htm

The challenges

The Detroit automakers are banking on the sheet metal shown here to help change the red ink to black. What needs fixing to get there:

•Product. "Now comes the real challenge. You can't keep shrinking. Now you have to be about product," says Kevin Tynan of Argus Research. "General Motors is probably a step ahead," having the most models in the pipeline, he says.

"We've got to do, first and foremost, exciting cars and trucks," Wagoner says.

Fields says Ford is hardly idling. He says that 70% of the vehicles sold by Ford, Mercury and Lincoln will be new by the end of next year, and by 2010, all vehicles sold by those Ford Motor brands will be new designs.

Ford also hopes that unexpected features such as its Sync communication and entertainment system will draw buyers. So far, there's a huge buzz about Sync, developed with Microsoft and exclusively Ford's to offer until late 2008.
  • Last weekend I was able to go to the St Louis Auto Dealers show. While there, I asked a guy from an area Ford dealer (who acted like a level headed company guy) if he knew anything about the CV/GM. His words were, to the effect, that it will likely be around through 09-10 and be replaced about that time.

He said that fleet contracts and dickering over replacements have delayed any cancellations prior to then.

Better start the letter writing & car-buying campaign now folks...
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Posts: 263
    I can't believe Ford would be insane enough to cancel CV/GM altogether instead of update it (add a wagon, fer crying out loud!).
  • It seems like a no-brainer to make a somewhat updated CV on the Explorer platform. Explorer sales are down so there's probably extra capacity. Its got body on frame but also IRS. That will allow more back seat room right there. Keep everything else the same: 6 speed auto, 3 valve engine. Instant competition for the Chryslers! Someone earlier on this thread suggested the same thing in 2005. Seems like a good idea to me.
  • Ford is committed to shoving the Five Hundred down the throats of it's retail customers due to office politics. All the guys behind the Panther platform are either retired or dead, and there are too many careers there tied to the Five Hundred.

Sales of the Five Hundred are pretty sad, considering how much time, effort, and money has been poured into it. They will waste more effort on updating it, and creating new models off the platform, but it is not going to do much.

Meanwhile, the Panther sits completely neglected. When the Panther is gone, I'm done with Ford - and I'm a loyal Grand Marquis owner.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    Good idea to use the Explorer platform with IRS, but throw in the 292 HP engine, not the 239 that it has now...my CV 2004 has 239, does get out of its own way, but 292 HP with firmer seats could make this a sleeper dream car...oh, and without the inflated price of the Marauder, as what we want ain't worth an extra 5 grand...

Read in today's paper...the Five Hundred is about to be discontinued...and renamed...TAURUS...no kidding, in the business section of today's AJC...
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Posts: 263
    Yep, it's in today's Autoweek as well: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070206/FREE/70206001/1024/L- - ATESTNEWS

What really disturbs me, though, is that the %*&^-ugly Ford Tempo-style front will now adorn the newly renamed Taurus. Yes, that will set it on fire.

Well, at least the interior looks more upscale from the decidedly low-rent 2007 model.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    What's up with Ford? With the name game? Whenever a vehicle is not selling well, they change names, and they hope for the best! It's rediciolus!!

Windstar to Freestar, 500 to Taurus, Zypher to MKZ, and then MKR, MKX, MK I don't know what....
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    These concepts will be built if the company lasts long enough, it's kind of obvious the attempt for these are not just for publicity. These are hot sisters, they should build both of them, I have a feeling they will cut off the CV and the GM names because of the years of neglect. They need something new and exciting, for young and old. You have to say the interceptor will make a great looking police car. If they don't get watered down by the bean-counters these will be hot products. I'd even consider them.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    If the Interceptor and MKR are built, they still won't be available to us for another 3.5 years(2011 model year). Disapointing, thats too late.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Posts: 62
    Was in the B&N the other day checking out the auto mags for June/July. Memory is failing a wee bit but I believe it was in the most recent Car and Driver that they had a long article about Ford's future, with the Interceptor being on the cover and the focus of an inside article.

It went on to talk about how much $$$ the company makes from F-150, Mustang, and "Panther-Platform" sales and if it weren't for those, woe be to Ford. It also said that for 2010 the Company has announced it will close the plants that make the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car.

Fait Accompli? Kinda sounds like it. After all, as the article stated, at that point the platform will be 31 years old and who'd want it - words to the effect. So we've come to the point that age, success, and profitability are being used as pretexts to cancel something...niiiiice.

I'm one to argue the cars needed serious updating, but do you really have to throw out a rock-solid platform in order to accomplish it? Guess so, as any and all execs that pushed the Panther platform are likely long gone and it's "nobody's baby", so why keep it and it's accompanying bathwater?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I just wonder what all the executive transports and police will use as a good portion of the police and executive transport fleets are Crown Vics and Lincoln Towncars.

-mike
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    "Car & Driver" is frequently more alarming than authoritative. :sick:

ARM is no dummy so it would not be surprising to see a continuation of the CV, GM, & TC all with IRS and a DOHC engine for just the TC. All contained in a sleek new body design. ;)
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Posts: 62
    Good point Paisan. I'm just reporting what I read (but not what I'd do if I were in charge of Ford) :)

I'm all for the platform continuing, trust me. To let a warhorse like that go without so much as even a passing upgrade is a crime.

One of my best friends is a highway patrolman in Missouri. They have been testing out the Dodge Charger police car and found it to be wanting as compared to the CV (v-6 version). He wasn't personally involved, but just said reports the field force was given was that it didn't have the durability/structural integrity of the CV. I assume Dodge is working on that.

The reason they tested it was about a year ago Ford informed them that they might be closing down production of the CV in 08/09. Since the state buys a massive amount of vehicles (cars replaced at the 50,000 mi mark) they began testing alternatives. All he's been told since is that they don't think that will happen in 08/09...not a ringing endorsement.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Well comparing the V6 version of the charger to the V8 CV is not a fair comparo IMHO. The new chargers seem to be hitting the road pretty well in terms of police vehicles. We'll see how they do now that DC has been sold. Who knows what the next version will have or have not.

-mike
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    Yet, the state trooper driving the Charger "6" has been known to declare, "Oh, I could have had a V8!" ;)
  • I wholeheartedly agree. Ford's making a mistake killing off the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car. I also agree that they're still really nice cars; let's just say that they're behind the PAZAAZ curve. Ford owns the police cruiser market, the limo/livery market, the full size GSA/fleet/rental market, and the 65+ geriatric/55+ near-geriatric (of which I'm a member) market. Who in their right minds would abandon all that? The Panther platform is rock-solid, and these cars provide the most car value available in the USA today, even Consumer Reports Magazine loves the Town Car. Yes, they are in need of a significant updating and a real face-lift (similar in magnitude to the Town Car's '03 over '02 model face-lift: nothing major, but easily noticeable). A nice bump in power (eg: 5.4L/300hp instead of the 4.6L/239hp engine) would also help. Give us buyers a reason to trade out of their 03's, 04's & 05's, and we probably will.

Ford has made so many blunders and false-starts, and then re-starts ('The Way Forward', then 'The New Way Forward' and even 'The New, New Way Forward'). Then there's the name changes, casting strong 'Brand Equity' names to the wind for new names, in an attempt to spice up warmed-over oatmeal. Why throw veneralble names and products like Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, and Town Car away. They immediately say "Ford", "Mercury", and "Lincoln". It costs a lot of money to grow name recognition like that, and the public's expectation of the products tied to those names can not be some pint-sized FWD/AWD replacement. Ford needs to stop cutting corners, do it right and stay in business. Or keep trying to cut corners and find themselves takeover targets. Or worse yet, find themselves joining American Motors and Studebaker in the automotive history museums.

I know Ford has to be very careful how it spends it's last $12-15 billion or so. And I know that Ford needs to bring some dramaticly different products to market, so they can catch the eye of those well heeled hi-tech kids who're in the Honda, Toyota, BMW and Audi showrooms. The Lincoln MK-S and Ford Flex are a nice start, but the Ford Interceptor, Tonka Truck, and Lincoln MK-R are sorely needed soon. But it can take a couple billion dollars to bring a new line of serious contenders to market, and even then WILL IT WIN or WILL IT LOOSE? Who knows. Why not drop a couple hundred million dollars to dress-up the OLE' PANTHER. Let her soldier on another 5 or 6 years, she's guaranteed to pay dividends. She'll fill a spot (RWD Sedan) that everyone is running back to, and nothing else Ford currently has will fill. I guarantee if Ford gives me and folks like me a reason to trade-in my 2005 Town Car, we'll do it. The Limo/Livery folks (fashion concious as they are) will want the new chariot, the police will want the new better pursuit unit, and even the fleets will want the updated look. Then Ford will have to hire Brinks to haul all their profits to the bank; heck, a Panther redo might even fund one of those big ticket new products.
This discussion has been closed.