Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    I have a friend who owned a 1998 Silverado 1500 and it had this same ticking noise - not from new, but over the 5 years he had it the noise was there for the last three at least. He now has a 2003 Tahoe and it is quiet thus far.... Sorry I cannot help you diagnose it, but it did not seem to affect the vehicle's performance. The sound was VERY noticable though and normal or not, I would not prefer to have it. ;)
  • PS2PS2 Posts: 3
    I just had my 2004 Z 71 in for service and was told there was a software update that would take care of the heated seats problem. My seats had started coming on on their own. After they updated the software haven't had the problem since. Might give your dealership a call. This update also supposedly took care of the "service 4WD message" that displays for no reason on occasion. I believe they also told me it was supposed to take care of the memory seat problem as well. Will keep you posted on whether the "bugs" come back. Hope this helps. :sick:
  • chevhdz71chevhdz71 Posts: 1
    Everytime I drive off road my truck will die on me and after an hour or so it starts right up then dies untill i get back on normal road i guess whenever it gets shookin up it dies has this happened to anyone else i need help fixin this i hate goin out in a field with buddies and my tahoe dies on the way out there
    thanks
  • jkisnerjkisner Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Tahoe with 41,000 miles with the same problem and the A/C for the rear compartment stopped working. All this happened on a drive back from Arizona to Los Angeles.

I took it in and they said that a value was clogged and the noise is just the fuel injectors pulsating. Well, three days later, the A/C goes out and the noise is still there.

Come to find it, the compressor it going out. Had to get it replaced today. $1300 later, ($500 a week ago and $800 today)
  • 5omike5omike Posts: 1
    I have put 500 miles on my new Tahoe LT and I hear a whining sound which increases as I accelerate 1st to 2nd gear, and diminishing in cruise. At times it is louder and I am not sure if this is normal or a precursor to more serious issues . I don't recall hearing this sound when test driving. I'm also hearing a periodic swooshing sound when my A/C is on, does not affect it's function but the sound is annoying. Could it be the compressor failing? I appreciate all advice, thanks.
  • 1k91k9 Posts: 1
    Jimg2,

I am also having a squeak or rattle under the dash area of my 2003 Tahoe. Looked everywhere, can't find it. Exactly where did you lubricate the emergency brake cable? Is it under the carpet area? Thanks
  • jeff00jeff00 Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2000 tahoe 7z1 with 54000 miles. I see on here that most problems start at 60,000. can someone tell me what I should look for. And what average gas mileage is everyone getting out there with the 5.7?

Thanks Jeff
  • kcarkcar Posts: 1
    I am looking for feedback on why a Tahoe with 136,000 miles rear end would break apart. Just put two new tires on the front end but not the back. Had new pinion seal and exhaust system replaced. A few days later the truck would not drive and the mechanic said the rear end had broken apart. Where is best place to buy replacement?
  • utdmanutdman Posts: 1
    99 Tahoe
    When I start for the first time in the morning it will start and them cough and die. Time seems to fix it till the next morning
  • Does anyone know if you can add the XM Radio service to a radio that did not come with it...I want it to be just like the radio in the vehicle, but have the XM service as well...do I just plug an antenna in to the back of the vehicle? I have a brand new 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 4x4 with the off-road package.
  • possum2possum2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Tahoe with 28K. Recently the CARGO HATCH AJAR warning comes on as I'm driving down the road. With it comes the door unlock and the dome light. It goes off as soon as it came on. Does it esp. when I am tuurning right, and when I hit a bump going uphill. Doing it more and more frequently. Any ideas?
  • Hi, I own a Tahoe Z71 2005. I live in Sweden, I can´t use the OnStar system in this country. But I can use the antenna!! Is there anyone how knows where the phonesystem is located in the car, so I can disconnect the antenna and use it for the Swedish system??
    Best regards
    Tahoe_Sweden
  • autocrimeautocrime Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 chevy suburban i have the problem with the memory seats it does not work with the remote 1 or 2 a chevy dealer told me they do not have the software yet. dose anyone know when the software will be out. or have any info
  • autocrimeautocrime Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 chevy suburban i have the problem with the memory seats it does not work with the remote 1 or 2 a chevy dealer told me they do not have the software yet. dose anyone know when the software will be out. or have any info
  • the_docthe_doc Posts: 1
    Hey My Friend,

I just bought an XM commander for my Tahoe Z 71. For about 85.00, it was install at circuit city. I bought it off e-bay for 70.00 (total). If you by the whole unit, new it will cost you 170.00 plus installation. My suggestion, is to get the XM commander unt, it looks factory when installed right, and the sound is awesome. Let me know how it goes!
  • Has anyone stuffed their Z71 into the side of a ditch? It appears that the Suburban front end is "tacoed". The gap on the top of the front doors is much smaller than the gap at the bottom of the front doors and the hood seems a bit higher. It drives fine. Is anyone else disappointed by the "off road" capabilities of their Z71? Can anyone guess how much this is going to cost? :cry:

Thanks.
  • lsufan6970lsufan6970 Posts: 10
    My 2003 Suburban Z71 does something really fancy. On occasions, when I enter the vehicle and stick the key in the ignition, the seat moves me ALL the way forward into the steering wheel. I guess the memory seats are screwed up or something. It only happens every now and then, so I'm waiting for something else to go wrong before I bring it in. On another note, I was wondering if anyone has boosted there performance beyond the air intake and power programmer stage. I've done both along with the thermostat and other minor improvements. I'm looking toward a turbo kit I found for around $5000. Has anyone put something like this on their vehicle? I want speed.
  • fwhitefwhite Posts: 2
    I have an ' 02 Tahoe with just over 20k. At low speeds when turning corners I'm getting a light clunking noise which I can feel through the wheel. Dealer told me it's normal on Tahoe's but I drove a couple different one's and they didn't do it. Is this normal and just cowl shake or could this be a major problem. Nothing seems loose but I am concerned as my wife drives this truck alot.
  • I am having the same problem with my 2002 tahoe Z71, I am also worried because this is my wifes car and she drives our new baby in it. I have had the dealership and the tire shop both look for the problem and they can't find anything. It is driving me crazy. If you find the problem please email my wife @ heathersland@aol.com! Thank you :confuse:
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    Do a search on steering clunks and you will find a long list of complaints. Its common. Most dealers are fixing it. It has to do with the intermediate steering shaft. From what I know it is NOT a safety issue and nothing will break or cause the truck not to go.... its just a noise that nobody likes.

We had it with our 03....

--jay