Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I had a similar problem, and I found on the internet where to buy the board that is INSIDE the thing, where you plug the bulbs? ....ok...that one....I paid like 20 bucks to replace that, I changed it myself cause it REALLY EASY, and problem solved. Hope helps you too.....they get old you know.....if you change that board AND the bulbs, you should be ok.....
  • simmysimmy Posts: 5
    Yeah I changed it 3 times, the first time it worked then the others didn't. I'm starting to think its something electrical... Thanks for your feedback :)
  • had to replace rear engine cover gasket.were rear main seal goes. i got the gasket at dealer part # gm#1254293 is about 30 dollar.had to remove transmisson.
  • When your engine has 150K miles & more, & your leaking at the rear of the block, quite often the rear main seal is the culprit. However, if you replace the rear seal without installing a sleeve on the rear of the crankshaft, the new seal will most likely start leaking in a very short time. The rear journal on the crankshaft will have developed a wear groove where the seal seals against it. This sleeve will slide right over the crankshaft covering the grove worn into the crank, thus giving the new seal a smooth, virgin surface to seal against. In the post of fmarin he didn't mention installing this sleeve, & perhaps that is the reason his engine still has a leak. I hope this may be helpfull, & good luck to both of you.
    wiggey
  • jimimacjimimac Posts: 1
    I just recently took my Tahoe in for an oil change and the maintenance department at the Chevy Dealership suggested I had an oil leak. I hadn't noticed anything previously.
    The comment on the report reads as follows;

COMMENT SHUTTLE/MAIN SEAL/ RO #128863
    JOB OPERATION DESCRIPTION CWI PR EST. TIME TECH $QUOTE
    1 97CVZOPENRO VEH. HAS OPEN RO W 0.00

This rig only has 5443 miles on it. yes it is under warranty but once these people start messing with stuff....
    The mechanic said they had done one of these jobs before.
    Has anyone else seen this issue before?
    Since the car is so new should I be contacting Chevy?
    Any suggestions/information?
  • rockman59rockman59 Posts: 250
    Since the vehicle is under warranty your dealer is the place to get it fixed. Unusual for a rear main seal to be leaking at this low mileage. Make sure they check to see that the oil is not coming from some other part of the engine and dripping down to the transmission area.
  • whitallwhitall Posts: 187
    Our 2004 Tahoe has always had some knocking noise in the dash, of course it wouldn't perform on demand while it was under warranty. Now it is more persistent. It sounds like knocking, it happens mainly when the heat is on and the controls are set all the way to the top of the red. When we back it down 2-3 notches the noise usually stops. I do think it does it with the a/c too, though haven't tried to isolate at what temp control it does it. I think maybe it has to do with the blower motor. In my Taurus that was an easy do-it-yourself. Any thoughts on what it is? ( I think I hear it best when my ear is to a vent--but noises are so hard to tell where they are coming from...)
  • 73shark73shark Posts: 325
    If you complained about this during warranty then take it back and show them that it's still doing it. They should do something about it.

It could be that something got sucked into the fan.
  • We have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. We just started getting a message on the dash saying to "Service 4WD". This message seems to go away after shutting off the motor and sometimes doesn't show up for a couple of days. Is this a bad switch or does it mean we need to check the lube level in the transfer case or some other issue? The Tahoe just turned over 36,000 miles. I have looked for service bulletins for this but have found nothing so far.
    Look forward to your response.
    Thaks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,405
    You might read back a few posts. This seems to have come up before:

Service 4WD Message and what other users did about it

• spgmehspgmeh Posts: 1
    Have the same problem with my '03 Tahoe. Did you ever figure it out?
  • I have a 2003 Tahoe and a couple weeks ago my oil pressure guage went from the normal 40 to 80 and stayed there. Now while at a stop (with the engine running) it brops to about 70 but when I drive it goes back to 80. I have had many people tell me it could be several different things. Wondering if anyone else had this problem before.
  • alston28alston28 Posts: 97
    I think the little electronic device on the key ring with the key, that you use to lock and unlock the doors, is called a "transponder." My "fell" on the pavement and no longer works. The electronic case separated, and the little circular disk fell out. I put it back together, but it no longer works. I see on the Internet several places that sell them. My question: if I get one from a place through the Interent, how do you "match" it to my Tahoe (2005)? Thanks.
  • 73shark73shark Posts: 325
    The little "circular disk" is the battery and has to go in the correct way as it has a positive and negative side. Make sure it's in correctly before giving up on it.

I got one on the internet for my wife's 2004 and the site specified which year I could order. Here's free "how to program" instructions: programyourremote
  • I have a 2004 Tahoe w/Z71 package, 5.3L V8 MFI FF with 100K miles. Use it in my work and have to put on a lot of "road" miles. A week ago, it ran a little hot, about 220-230 F, not red-line. Carried it in to the dealer who informed me that the coolant was 1.5 gallons low. No noticeable leaks, no residue on engine. They pulled the valve covers and noticed coolant residue. They said that I needed to replace both cylinder heads, bolts and gaskets, approx: $3K, due to porosity of the cylinder head metal. Is this possible or am I being hosed? If true, why would GM due something this stupid and why wouldn't they feel an obligation to correct their mistake and why would it be just showing up after 100K miles of relatively good service?
  • jk06jk06 Posts: 7
    Have you noticed any coolant leaking on the ground? Chevy's biggest problem has been intake manifold gasket. My tahoe was leaking right behind the water pump fluid coming out of intake manifold and evaporating on the engine. I had added antifreeze several times and could not figure out where it was going. If you replace the manifold gasket buy them from GM, they have since redesigned the gasket. Aftermarket gasket I would not recommend!
    Is there a term for the plastic "housing" attached to the ceiling above the middle front seat, adjacent to the windshield? The covers the OnStar stuff and 2 ceiling lights. Anyway, it seems to have come unattached at the end adjacent to the windshield. Does the entire housing need to be replaced? Is this something I can do, or do I need to take it to the dealer? Thanks.
  • Thanks for your response. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. As I pointed out, there were no visible signs of leaks or drips from gaskets or the water pump. The engine was very clean. I took it over to an independent mechanic and he went on-line to a website called "ALL DATA on Line" which appears to be a pay site & bam, there it was: "Engine - Coolant Loss With No Visible Leaks" This problem is not isolated to to Chevy Tahoes. Appears to effect several GM models and even Saabs from 2001-2006.
    Castech is the manufacturer for the cylinder heads that can have a defect that shows up as a porosity leak and even a small crack (in the cylinder head). "ALL DATA" recommends replacing the cylinder heads, i.e., $1,500.00 - $2,500.00 (estimate) while GM shows no remorse or responsibility. If you have direct contacts with the GM reps, let me know the feed-back you get.
    Thanks
    Turns out there's a screw that had come lose.
    Right rear brake light went out during warranty period - approx. 32,000 miles, 33 months. At dealer now - indication is that it's a warranty item. Service advisor keeps trying to push the transmission service on me. Online owner's manual says 100,000 miles, or maybe 50,000 miles depending on how Tahoe is driven. Mine is about 60-65% highway, rest in town. Think I'll wait until at least 50,000 miles.