Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rjt427rjt427 Posts: 27
    I have a 07 Tahoe and I want to change the wiper blades does Chevy have the original ones. ? Or do I have to go to after market ones ?
  • 73shark73shark Posts: 325
    You can get the OEM blades from ur Chevy parts dept or you can get a similar one from aftermarket like Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, etc. But those will look a little bulkier. Interestingly GM went back to the old style.
  • knorwoodknorwood Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Tahoe 2wd. It's been a great car...until now. I have this noise coming from the engine area. It sounds like when you get new or oversized tires on your car. It starts at about 20mph and gets louder the faster I go and quiter the slower I go. It doesn't make the noise in park or in Neutral while driving. ALSO if I'm driving around a curve to the right it stops but as soon as I straighten back up you can hear it again. I've had my oil changed recently and I do NOT have any engine lights on. This noise is driving my crazy....PLEASE HELP!
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited June 2010
    Hard to diagnose an airplane noise over the internet. You're going to need someone listen to it.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    I keep waiting for more people to link to MP3 files or YouTube videos.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rjt427rjt427 Posts: 27
    If it goes away when moving and in neutral, would seem like it was tranny or rear end related. Since it changes going around a corner then maybe a rear wheel bearing. Just a shot in the dark.
  • d1extreemd1extreem Posts: 9
    I'd be looking at a CV joint, it's a high-tech universal joint, located inside the black rubber boot behind each of the front wheels. It transfers power to the front wheels, while allowing them to turn as well. If that boot is cracked or torn, it's a sure giveaway of problems to come.
    An expensive, but crucial fix.
    edited June 2010
    Except for the fact that it's a 2wd, and wouldn't have CV joints up front.

It really could be many things, we could all randomly pick a different part that might sound like an airplane. Just need a mechanic to listen/drive it.
  • opcartopcart Posts: 1
    i have a Chevy Tahoe 2007 that i bought used.
    As soon as i took it home i could hear a whistling noise when i turn the climate control on.
    If i open a window just a little the sound goes away.
    It looks to me that its negative pressure created by the climate control and when air is entering
    the cabin it is whistling somewhere.
    Any help would be great since the dealer where i bought it already had the car for 3 different occasions and still didn't fix it.
    Make sure all of your dash vents are open. They will whistle if a couple of them are fully closed. Do you notice any change in the flow from the vents when you crack the window?
    It's probably the same thing as they fixed at 12K. Most likely it's the "intermediate shaft". My dealer replaced my wife's (2004) w/ the new design part and even tho out of warranty, they didn't charge me. Called it "customer satisfaction". I do treat them right. :)
  • Have an '04 Z71 w/high mileage. Has been performing great for (6) years, perfect maintenance records. Noticed a "puffing sound" when going uphill or when the engine is under any strain. As long as you are traveling on a level grade or going slightly downhill, no sound. Asked the dealer about it on the last service and they said they couldn't hear anything. Is it possibly: fouled plug or bad plug wire?, muffler or catalytic converter going out? Just had the injectors serviced. Any suggestions?
  • blowtieblowtie Posts: 2
    Hi all, I have a 2001 Tahoe with about 145,000 miles on it. Lately, it often idles very rough at start up and has a loud tapping noise. Coinciding with the tapping and rough idle, the oil gauge bounces severely. After several minutes, the tapping slowly subsides and the oil gauge bounce slows down relative to the noise and the engine smooths out. The noise and the gauge bounce are definitely tied together, but I am totally stumped as to how. It seems to be worse the colder the weather gets. Originally I assumed I had a sticking lifter because the engine ran so roughly and flushed the crankcase a couple of times to dissolve any buildup of varnish, etc., but that doesn't explain the gauge bounce, . . . . . does it? Any ideas?
    Stuck lifter(s), oil pump, sludge buildup. All I can think of right now.
  • blowtieblowtie Posts: 2
    Thanks 73shark,

I forgot to mention that I also use about 1/2 gallon of antifreeze every 1,000 miles or so. My mechanic has assured me that my water pump seal is leaking as that is very common on this engine, but there is absolutely no trace of leakage. There is absolutely no residue around or under the water pump indicating the antifreeze evaporates without being detected. I thought that all of these problems may indicate a blown head gasket or worse.
    Any ideas?
    edited June 2010
    I'd be more inclined to think ur antifreeze is either getting into the oil (most likely considering the noise & the bouncing oil gauge) or getting into combustion chamber and going out the exhaust. Antifreeze ruins bearings. :cry: Look at the underneath side of the oil fill plug and check for moisture or a gray, jelly-like substance. Sure signs of water in the oil. If so, then ur engine will need an overhaul. :sick:
  • thomt01thomt01 Posts: 1
    Group,
    I have a 2004 Tahoe which recently started making a vibrating sound while idling. It is especially loud when I am backing up and apply the break. Any thoughts?
  • knorwoodknorwood Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    IT'S FIXED!!!!

It was the Hub bearing on my front driver side. Thanks to all of your thoughts on the subject. I know this one was a bit hard by description only. I finally can hear myself think again.... :D
    Congrats, glad they found the problem.