Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks so much! You confirmed my diagnoses.. Would you have any tips on replacement... I replaced a fuel pump in my sons 96 ford ranger and it was a real pain removing tank and all.. then someone told me he just removes bed to do same. I know theres no bed to remove here but any tips would help!!!

Thanks, Marty
  • '05 Tahoe Z71 65k miles

I noticed that the grease fittings on top of ball joint were not being greased. Mechanic checked the front end; removed the splash guard and found several grease fittings. These had not been serviced during the life of the vehicle.

The Tahoe Owner Manual does not show chassis lube points.

Is there a lube chart for this vehicle available on the Internet?

TIA...Bill
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited February 2011
    Normally it's just easier to visually look at all the moving parts, for zerk fittings.

Ball joints, steering fittings/couplings, drive shafts, etc.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    If you live in or near DC and have had fuel spitback issues with your car, please email pr@edmunds.com before Monday, February 28, 2011 to be interviewed by a reporter. Please include your daytime contact information and the year, make and model of your car.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jim457jim457 Posts: 1
    I also have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3L V8. Same exact problem you are having and exactly the same mileage. I had a dealer give me a repair quote for over $4K to replace cam and lifters. In the process of getting a second opinion and exploring what GM will or will not help us with. Funny thing is if it was a 2007 or newer it would all be covered under GM's 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Lucky me as usual.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    jim457,
    Can you please email me your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are/ have experienced (I understand this is repetitive its just to make it a little easier for me to get the ball rolling). I apologize for your frustrations.
    Have a great weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • tnlady50tnlady50 Posts: 5
    Everytime I steer my 2002 tahoe steep it feels like the tires are sliding or laying down. Can you tell me what possiblly could be wrong?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    Presuming tire pressure is correct (the obvious first thing to check), if you had really bad alignment your front end would "push" as they say in NASCAR.

• tnlady50tnlady50 Posts: 5
    Thank you ! we just had it lined up about 2 months ago and the tire pressure is correct
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    Well if you are sure about the alignment and the pressure, then it has to be the tires, which aren't up to the car or your driving habits I suppose.

• pat1776pat1776 Posts: 3
    I have heard a rumor that the Camshaft and Lifters in the Tahoe are somewhat prevalent...and as luck would have it, my Tahoe (5.3L V8) has this problem, and of course my warranty just went out on it. The Service Manager has told me that it will cost $4k plus. The service Manager said he would try to get GM to pay for it as good will, but when it came down to it, because I didn't buy it or service it from that dealership, more than likely I would have to pay for at least labor ($2000 plus). He also told me that the dealership has the authority to say yea or nay on these types of issues. Any advice, any case to contact GM myself????
    I have religously changed the oil and filter, in fact someone that actually worked for the dealership did it for me on the side. My Tahoe (and On-Star)does the same thing (tells me what level the oil life is at, etc.) but the Manager told me that I couldn't rely on that...so i am my wits end on what to do???!!!??
    pat1776,
    Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look into this situation for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina:

Thank you for responding, however, I took it to another dealership today and they are fixing it for me. They are awesome and I highly recommend them...Hiley GMC, Fort Worth, Texas.

Thanks,
    pat1776,
    Glad to hear that you are getting this taken care of. If you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to contact me!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    A reporter is looking to interview anyone with a GM vehicle that doesn't seem to accurately read fuel levels.
    Please email pr@edmunds.com Friday, April 29, 2011 to share your story.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    Please be careful posting your personal information in a public forum; save it for email.

Posts with telephone numbers or other contact info will be removed.

Thanks!

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jdr0618jdr0618 Posts: 1
    In August 2009, I bought a certified used 2007 Tahoe LTZ from Eatontown Chevrolet in NJ. The car has been nothing but a major nuisance for my family.

The dealer provided no mats or headsets for the factory DVD, only one set of keys, and no manual. The tires had major dry rot, which they were unwilling to change at sale. So we bought a set and the dealer didn't even give us a deal for purchase or install.

Within the past 24 months, we've had to have the rear lift gate fixed 4 times, the brake pads/rotors replaced/cut twice, the rear diff serviced and just recently replaced, the auto leveling suspension fixed, the check engine light fixed three times, and a coolant leak fixed. Oh, and a the battery went twice.

Now the clear coat is coming off the car, all over the place. The front driver side quarter panel is, in areas, down to the base coat. The plastic, color matched strips affixed to the doors are all brown now, look horrible. Unacceptable.

While I am glad I bought an extended warranty, I strongly advise against buying this car new or certified used. Poor quality. And the warranty won't cover our paint problems. Our attempts to have our concerns fell on deaf ears with GM corporate last year.
  • Sorry if this has been asked and resolved before, but I'm new to this forum and have run out of ideas.

I have a 2001 Tahoe 5.3 2wd that has 160000 on it. I replaced the plugs and wires just for general maintenance and tune up, and now it wants to skip/idle rough at low speeds or while sitting still...what gives? I replaced the plugs with AC Delco Iridium pre-gapped at .040. Also put on new wires. My truck wasn't skipping before so it has to do with plugs/wires right? I rechecked everything, even put new wires on for a second time just to make sure they werent bad, and still no solution. I'm out of ideas...please help.