Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My 02 has had problems with that, just vibrations though. It only has 31000 on it, but just take yours to the dealership and get them to grease the steering column. I don't know other that that.
  • Also, i was wondering how the car did with the torsion bars cranked up. Ive been thinking about it for mine, and i was wondering if 285s would fit well with and inch or so extra from that. Thanks
  • They call that peice the vent I think, you can get replacements online
  • Anyone give me a clue if there is a fuse that controls the power seats to the driver side and both driver and passenger heated seats? Just stopped working yesterday but my passenger side power seats work fine.

Thanks in advance,

Molarman
  • I have a 99 tahoe 4x4 once it reaches the normal temp it will sputter and then shut off but it starts up right away. It only does it once it warms up. I have changed the fuel filter, the mass air flow sensor, check the spark plugs and wires even did a gas treatment. Does anyone know what else it could be or what else I should try
  • I have a problem with my 1997 Tahoe. Out of the blue it just quit while driving home. Changed a fuse and it ran about 10 minutes - just enough to get home. Somebody suggested that the security is messing it up. It blows fuses just as fast as you can put them in.
    Anybody have any ideas?">link title
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    Check / change crank shaft position sensor. If this sensor goes bad it directly causes problems with engine operation, like really rough run or shut off. It also gets really hot with engine oil warming up. I assume yours is mounted in the side of the engine just above starter motor like in my '04 Tahoe.

Another one to check is the MAP sensor. In my Tahoe it is located on top of the intake manifold under a plastic bracket.

Arrie
  • I am also having the problem with the driver side power seat and both heated seats not working? I was wondering if you have gotten it fixed yet? Or if you have had any replys yet either.
    Thanks, makes me feel better that I am not the only person scratching his head on this problem.
    Kevin
  • Found the problem with this. It would appear that the circuit breaker is tripping on this, and not resetting. The circuit breaker is located in the black box underneath the steering wheel by the brake. Just remove the cover, and pull the silver 25A breaker, and re-insert it. For some reason, that resets it, and presto, it is working. That doesn't explain it being tripped in the first place, but at least it is an easy fix.
    Kevin
  • My Driverside Seat will do it all but go up and down. I tried doing what knon2000 said to do but not working. Any other ideas???

I pulled the Silver fuse 25 and the 30 just for grins...nothing...

It works once in awhile...
  • My Driverside Seat will do it all but go up and down. Any other ideas???

I pulled the Silver fuse 25 and the 30 just for grins...nothing...

It works once in awhile...
  • Just bought a used Tahoe at under book last week :surprise: . Has 5.3 Vortec FFV. Was running fine when I drove off the lot. Filled it with BP Silver 89 Octane gas and weather got to sub 20F. Now Engine light is on solid while driving under around 35MPH. Starts flashing after that. Starts up fine. Runs fine for around 5 seconds at 1000RPM then drops down to 500 and idles and runs rough. Milage reading has gone down in all regimes. Had the car checked out at Chevy dealer before purchase and they found no red flags. Any help or info would be appretiated?
  • Hey....I have the very same problem with my 2003 chevy tahoe. I bought it used and have had it for 5 mo's. It is a very slight slip that that were feeling. Its like you said, it hesitates at the end of the shift then it goes in. I took mine to a tranny mech. and he said that it might be a valve thats stick'n in there. Est. cost...$450.
    But he was just guessing...Said he would have to go in to check to make sure. Either way...sounded expensive.
    Also... he said that its a common problem wit these trannys. Anyone else with this annoying problem????
  • Heyyy....Somebody with my problem as well.

The quick temp. fix to this is to give the center console a good ole' beatn'. Hit the back side of the console (at the foldable cup holders) firmly a couple of times and that should stop the whinning thru the speakers.

If you haven't already found this remedy.

I notice this post is fairly old. If you found a permanent fix, let me know....

But i think the BOSE amp is shot and thats where it is located. Cost for the amp....about 300 dollars... Installation cost ???
  • I have a 03' HOE with 82000. Every now n then, my power steering looses assist.

When parked, and if im braking, the steering assist is not there. Its like trying to steer a tractor.....very hard.

It also makes a noise when I'm turning hard thru a corner....I can feel some resistance in the steering thru the turn...

Is this normal??? I've read somewhere were this was ok...It just doesn't seem like a 40000 dollar truck should be doing this...

Anyone with the same proble...or suggestions???
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    What trouble codes does the computer have?

Codes can be read by a simple OBD II scanner that you can buy for about $100. Very good tool to have. Pays itself back fast. Dealer ask about $80 just to check codes.

You can also have codes read by a car parts store for free. At least I know AutoZone has this service.

Have codes checked and post again.

A quick guess about your problem since you mention that temperature went below 20 is that your intake air temperature sensor might be bad. If it is it takes to change the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) as the sensor is built into it. This is approximately $200 part.

Arrie
  • There is a Chevy recall out on your Tahoe that will correct this problem.....NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 05V163000..........

Recall Date:
    FEB 04, 2004

Summary:
    CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, PICKUP TRUCKS, AND PASSENGER VANS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 135, ?PASSENGER CAR BRAKE SYSTEMS.? SOME OF THESE VEHICLES WERE PRODUCED WITH AN OUT-OF-SPECIFICATION BRAKE HYDRO-BOOST HOUSING RELIEF VALVE BORE.

Consequence:
    CONSEQUENTLY, THE VALVE O-RING SEAL MAY FRACTURE. STEERING EFFORTS MAY BE SLIGHTLY INCREASED WHILE BRAKING OR PARKING. UNDER CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS, A FRACTURED SEAL MAY REQUIRE A SLIGHT INCREASE IN THE APPLIED BRAKE PEDAL EFFORT TO ACHIEVE THE SAME VEHICLE DECELERATION RATE AS PRIOR TO THE SEAT FRACTURE.

Hope this helps ya.
  • I just bought a 2003 Z71 Tahoe and noticed what sounds like a noisy fan belt on idle. It seems to me that the engine should idle a little quiter. I lubricated the belts, but that didn't help. The belts look like they are good shape. Anyone else have this problem?
  • pat36pat36 Posts: 1
    Hi - I noticed yesterday (and today), while my 2002 Tahoe was idling, it smelled like burning popcorn from the exhaust... almost like a burning cigarette smell. Does anyone know what that could be? I don't recall running over anything, except for a little horse manure in the road yesterday, but it should all have washed away after driving through all the rain puddles today. Thanks for your help!
  • wgplapwgplap Posts: 1
    I experienced a similar problem with a 2004 Avalance Z71 shortly after buying the unit. Took it to my Chevy dealership and asked what they thought that it was. The serice advisor told me that Chevy had sent out a recall, which had to do with the amount of space between the skid plates around the exhaust. They ordered the parts No charge and within a couple of hours, these components were replaced. Have not had a problem since replacement.