Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C350 & C280

Comments

• emoralesemorales Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 2006 C280 but would rather wait if the 2007 models are around the corner. Does anyone know?

When did the 2006 models become available?

- EM
  • billp8billp8 Posts: 56
    --I don't know the release date for the U.S. yet, but one other thing to keep in mind is that there will likely be "Special Edition" versions of the C-Class, as this is the last year for the current body style. For the last SE version in 2000, the cars were silver metallic, with the Sport package and two-toned leather interior. The C280 also got a standard CD changer and phone. I can't remember if the C230 had any additional options as standard. The SE versions typically give you a savings "over all options if purchased separately."
  • lenflenf Posts: 5
    I just got the same car. Rids well but I noticed a slight whine coming from the rear. I could be tire noise, or the 4 matic. Do you hear the same? Also, is the fuel economy better in c or s mode? Thanks.

Lenf
  • dfc3dfc3 Posts: 87
    Not sure how many people are still paying attention to this board; in that there's not much activity any more. But... I just bought the C280 4Matic after 8 months of reading this board. Its the comments here that helped me make this decision. Thanks, if anyone's noticing.

To lenf; I haven't heard the whine, but I only have 110 miles on it.

I'm really impressed with the C280. There's an earlier post several months back - one from Shanky, one from Ikramerica both that explain it well. Merc1 has a good perspective here.
  • pgsmithpgsmith Posts: 24
    I have to concur. W/ approx 7k I have not heard any whine. I have still got intermittent electrical annoyances.

Occasionally the stereo still fails to work right (haven't ha d a chance to take it back in AGAIN for this problem). Turning the ignition off and back on "fixes" the problem.

The button that is supposed to drop the rear headrests has stopped working. I dont know if something got disconnected the last time they were back there working on something.
    Thanks for the responses. We have about 400 miles on the C280, but my wife drives it and she doesn't complaine about anything. I will be driving the Benz this weekend and I will take another listen for the whine. Will advise.

Len
  • pgsmithpgsmith Posts: 24
    It seems the C280 is a little hard to control. I lost control of mine only a shor time after buying it. (I lost control to my wife once she drove it a couple times. ;)

Like you, most of my access to mine is on the weekend or when the wife needs the other vehicle for other reasons.
  • dfc3dfc3 Posts: 87
    Ah, well, see... I haven't let my wife drive mine yet - since she did her part of the test drive. Of course, I've only had mine a week (240 miles) so we'll see how long THAT lasts.
    Took the car last night. Whine is still there. Sounds like an electric motor or tire noise. Goes up and down as the car accelerates and decelerates. Don't hear it above 40. Will call the dealer this week.

Len
  • dbranddbrand Posts: 21
    I just completed a three week roadtrip--18 states and 5,400 miles. Best mileage was 31 mpg and worst was when caught in rush hour in a hailstorm in Kansas City, Missouri--19 mpg. Gas prices are nuts. $2.49/gallon in KC at a Shell station was lowest and highest was in Long Beach, CA also at a Shell station and I paid $3.79/gallon. Prices are cheapest in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa and Missouri. Highest are in the SW and the west. Here in Oregon premium grade is in the $3.29 to $3.39 range--for name brands. My first experience in snow was going across the Continental Divide in Montana a couple of weeks ago and the 4 Matic made a big difference--really held good traction even in high winds and very slick highway. It was 118 in Needles, California and only a few degrees cooler going across the Mojave desert and the temp gauge stayed right in the center--perfect operating temperature. The a/c on automatic kept the cabin perfectly comfortable. Loved the rear blind feature--kept the hot sun off my dog who was on the back seat. This is a great little car, and now I'm very happy I selected this model. Took it in for an oil change and tire rotation and the dealership gave me a C230 (not the Kompressor) with 500 miles on the clock as a driver for the day. Boy am I glad I didn't get this model--compared to the 280 it feels very pokey. Amazing what a half litre of engine capacity makes in difference in power.
  • ycamp5ycamp5 Posts: 15
    Asking for advise if price is the same and options are similar.

thank you!!!
  • dbranddbrand Posts: 21
    A quick look at MBUSA.com and the Lexus web site will quickly inform regarding similarities and prices between the two. The two cars are close in price, size and displacement, but miles apart in driving experience. As cushy and smooth and reliable as Lexus is, in my opinion, the marque has no soul. Mercedes builds a car for people who enjoy the getting there, perhaps more than the being there. Lexus builds a car for those who are more interested in the destination.
  • shankyshanky Posts: 36
    I am due now to purchase extended warranty for my 2006 C350-luxury (purchased Nov '05, and currently doing great at 14k miles).

The MB warranty costs about $3500 for 5 years, and the other one that the dealer is pushing, is about $2500.

I will love to hear comments/experiences/advice from MB-owners regarding extended warranty
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    How has your car been? Any problems?

M
  • shankyshanky Posts: 36
    Sure, there has been problems!

1. The car "died" on the freeway, and had to be towed-in to the dealership. Diagnosis was a bad fuel level sensor - there was no gas in the tank while the indicator showed half-full. Right & left level-sensors had to be imported from Germany and replaced. Something to do with higher sulfur-content in US fuel perhaps?

2. The MB dealer screwed the front license plates off-center. Needs to go back in for fixing holes in the front bumper.

Despite these scares, THE CAR'S NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME! Each time I accelerate it - the solidity, quietness and the smoothness leave me quite impressed ! Of course I am aware that it is overpriced compared to the competition (maybe by about 5k). But I did not get such polished feel in the 3-series, nor in the IS - so I am surely much satisfied :)

The only sad thing is the dealership - MB needs to do something to improve their responsiveness and quality of work.
    Yeah that fuel problem is most unfortunate. That should have been ironed out by now.

Yeah all brands have some less than perfect dealers, and unfortunately unless you start a brand from scratch MB is pretty much stuck with their dealer body for the most part.

M
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    We got the MB 5 year extended warranty when we purchased my wife's 2002 C240. The warranty was much cheaper back then and it has certainly paid for itself.

$3500 seems a bit high -- you might try negotiating on that.
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    This is cross-posted -- I posted on another Edmunds Forum and it was suggested I post here.

It has been a long time since I last posted on Edmunds. I bought a C320 in 2001 and because the paint was defective, Mercedes after much ado gave me another one. I loved that car......and also the help I received from this forum

Sunday at 1:00 AM, I was in a major accident on the 405N fwy, and the car was totaled. Lucky for me, I was not injured, other than some bruising from the airbags deploying on the driver side. Everyone who has seen the car told me I was blessed to have escaped injury.....the 320 and a guardian angel kept me safe

I was hit twice in the rear and it was hit and run. The first hit sent me spinning and careening across the fwy where I was hit again and headed for the cement wall. I ended up facing the oncoming traffic. The Highway Patrol found the original car that hit me within 15 minutes. I had also purchased a four-year extended warranty when I bought the car expecting to keep my car until 2008. I had a little under 31K

In the 320 2001, the E-class engine was used and the power and acceleration speed was one of the features I really enjoyed. I understand they no longer use the E-class engine.

My questions:
    Which 2006 C-class would be comparable to my C-320's power?
    Is there a Lexus that would be comparable?

My thanks.
  • sammya_mdsammya_md Posts: 69
    Hey,

Sorry to hear about the accident. If you are looking for something with the C320's power, you basically have 2 options. The C350 might have a little bigger engine than the C320, and then the C280 (less sporty, more luxury appearance) would have a little less. I think there might be a C280 w/more hp, but not sure of it's name. For example how the C350 is basically a C230, but with a more powerful engine.

I'm not sure about Lexus' as I haven't been looking to purchase one, but those are my thoughts.
    Wow, sounds like quite an accidente, glad you're ok. MB's safety likely had a hand in that.

Right now the two C-Classes that would fit the bill are the C280 (228hp) and the C350 (268hp). The C350 used the same engine as the E350, which was the case with the C320/E320 back in 2001. The C350 is available in either Luxury or Sport trim. The C280 is only available in Luxury trim. Both cars have more power than your C320 so I'd suggest a test drive to determine what works best for you.

M
    Thank you Samya md, for your thoughts -- I priced a C350 2006 and it might work......I was told that the C350 engine is bigger than the C320 engine.

Posted in Mercedes Benz C-Class: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

#399 C350 2006 pricing by michhala Jul 27, 2006 (10:15 pm)

My 2001 C320 was totaled and I want to replace it with a 2006 C350. I was given a price for a new black on black with Xenon lights, TeleAid, and CD changer of $35,500 and with California Tax and License, the total is $38.771. The dealer has to have it shipped from another location

Please let me know if this is a good price.

The dealer had two in stock with Xenon, but not with TeleAid or CD changers. This would have been $33,500 not including tax and license.

My thanks.

Miki
    Hi merc1 -- thank you for your reply. I spent the afternoon at the Mercedes dealership, and the sales person suggested I should get the C350 because he was giving me a very good price. (See #361 on this thread), so I did not test drive the C280. I did not ask the pricing of the C280 either....I should have..... guess I am still a little muddled from the accident :D I was also told that the C350 engine uses less gas.

Miki
    Are you looking at C350 Luxury or Sport?

M
    merc1 -- I don't know if Luxury or Sport. There seems to be very few 2006 C350 with TeleAid and Zenon lights around. The CD changer is not on all cars either.....I am very surprised. So I guess I am looking for best price with these options.

Usually, I do a lot of research before I buy anything, but I am just anxious to get this over and done methinks. However, I am going back to the dealer tomorrow and will delve further into the C280 plus Luxury or Sport for the C350

Miki
    Yeah that (sport vs. luxury) would make a big difference in ride and appearence, if such things matter to you. Let us know what happens!

M
    The model of the C350 printout is C350W -- I am thinking it is the Luxury......but not sure. Will let y'all know what happens.

Thank you.

Miki
    I brought home the black/black 2006 C350 Luxury Sedan yesterday. It was the only one available with the Xenon, TeleAid and CD changer. It was found at another dealership Thursday night, but I did not tell the sales consultant I wanted it. However, on Friday because I realized there were not many around, I called my sales person and told him to ask the dealership that had the car to hold it for me, and I would be in later in the afternoon. When I got to my MB dealership around 4:30 PM on Friday, the car was there, detailed and waiting for me. I did not expect it before the beginning of the week since I was told it was 8 or 9 hours away and required $1500 shipping.

It seems my dealer transferred the car into inventory Thursday night even though I did not say I would buy the car then. As I understand it, my dealership sent a truck for it and I doubt if it was 8 or 9 hours away and required $1500 for transportation.

With the Xenon, CD changer and TeleAid, the purchase price was $35,500 before California tax and license, which brought it up to $38,477.

My attorney had his car broker try to find this car for me and came up with only one, which she said was probably mine, and the price she gave me was $34,200.....I mentioned this to the sales person and asked if they would split the difference, but he said they could not because of the $1500 "shipping".

That said, it is a lovely car and driving it is even better than my C320......and I think I got a good price.

Now I am looking for the MB 3-year extended-warranty and wondering if they are discounted. For my 2001 C320, I was able to buy an MB 4-year extended warranty for $1575 at Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA.....things have sure changed.

Miki
    That isn't really a "bad" deal, but think there might have been a little more room to deal on that price. That said, I hope you enjoy the car! Be sure to stop in and let us know how it does.

M
    The dealership was very devious and deceitful -- I could have gotten the car for $1400 less....it's too long a story to put in a post.....but I am preparing to fight back. I have a FAX ready to send Mercedes and they will put a District Manager into the situation.

Miki
    I understand where you're coming from but I don't there is anything you can do after the deal has been inked as far as price goes. The "stealership" as some call it is out to make money, while cutting you somewhat of a decent deal, but they aren't going to lose money. I don't think a deal can be re-negotiated after the fact.

M
This discussion has been closed.