Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• fmontanafmontana Posts: 2
    "How do you change a flat, or get something else you need out of the trunk with a load in the bed?"

To change a flat it is simple. Before you load the bed of the truck, remove the spare tire and mount it in the bed in the provided mounting holes. You have to think ahead obviously. While you are doing that you can move any items in the trunk you might need to the area behind the front seats.

Simple.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    He said that 95% of people buying them never put anything in the bed.

........which is just like the rest of the truck buying population. Stop pretending even most truck buyers use their trucks. I live in the heart of truck country and seldom see anything in the bed of that full size domestic truck that wouldn't fit In my Fit just as easily.

sighting of the day: some woman hauling only a baby stroller in a HD Ford 250 turbo diesel.

I'm not sure, but I think my Fit could have done that and got 33 mpg doing it as well.

America, gotta love it, and super size it as well.

You want to haul gravel? The lanscape people will deliver it for practically free. I wouldn't dirty and ding my F250 if I had one with that stuff.

Want to haul thousands of pounds of 4x8 anything? Guess what? Professional builders just have the supplier deliver it to the building sight.

I had some contractors at my house the other day and they flipped over my Ridgeline. Especially the tail gate and trunk. They looooved it. They couldn't believe how cool it was. Just goes to show ya, people that really use truck appreciate the ridgeline greatly.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Silly, but relevant.

I was talking trucks with my neighbor, who owns a big Silverado (dunno which specific model). He's had a hard tonneau on for the 4 years I've lived there. I was telling him about the trunk under the Ridgeline's bed and he just couldn't picture it.

He goes to open the tonneau so I can point out exactly where the trunk would be, how big it is, etc. But he can't remember how to open it. Best I can figure, nothing has touched the Silverado's bed in years. :sick:
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Posts: 300
    "had some contractors at my house the other day and they flipped over my Ridgeline. Especially the tail gate and trunk. They looooved it. They couldn't believe how cool it was. Just goes to show ya, people that really use truck appreciate the ridgeline greatly."

Great!

I'm also a contractor, and it didn't float my boat... :D
  • silversvtsilversvt Posts: 7
    So I told you that I really wanted a 2007 Tundra. But since they don't make them yet, I was trying to decide between the Tacoma and the Ridgeline.

I researched each truck. I wanted leather and I now live in San Diego. (If I still lived in Oklahoma I could order a Taco with leather). I drove each truck and was not overly impressed with either one. My last truck was a 2002 Ford Lightning and every other truck just feels slugish compared to it.

I wanted 4 doors, rear seat leg room, leather, and good resale value. The slow sales of the ridgeline worried me a bit, but I thought that the rear seat leg room in the Taco was Unacceptable. I even like the styling of the Taco a bit more. I went with the Ridgeline thinking it would be a good compromise.

I had negotiated a deal of $27,600 (in mid April)for Silver RTL no moonroof. I told the salesman that on average I like to get a different vehicle every 18-24 months. He mentioned that I could get a 24 month lease. I went with the lease. My payments are almost exactly what they would have been if I bought the truck. But I do not have to worry about resale. I,ll just give it back to them in 24 months, or trade early for a new tundra.

Suprise, Suprise. I love my Ridgeline more and more with each day. For somone that was not impressed with his first drive, I am now quite taken with it. I actually enjoy driving it now. I open all 5 power windows and enjoy the cool San Diego Breeze. It is a real attention-getter as well. Everyone wants to see the Trunk and the two-way opening talegate. I might even regret having to give it up here in 2 years.

Silver SVT
    I'm also a contractor, and it didn't float my boat...

It's not supposed to float your boat. It's supposed to tow it.
    I might even regret having to give it up here in 2 years.

Silver SVT

Nah, just trade it in on the 4.0 litre, 300hp Ridgeline turbo diesel with cylinder deactivation. :D

...just trying to throw out some ideas to Honda here. They are working on a V6 diesel though. It will be interesting to see the specs on it.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    ........which is just like the rest of the truck buying population. Stop pretending even most truck buyers use their trucks. I live in the heart of truck country and seldom see anything in the bed of that full size domestic truck that wouldn't fit In my Fit just as easily

Truck country is down on the farm where the truck is used for what it was designed. You must be in wannabe truck country. The Ridge might work well as a commuter in the suburbs, but I will take a Toy or Fronty when I want to haul a load of feed home from the mill or a load of barbed wire and posts to the pasture. Would get tired of moving the tire on a daily basis. Plus triple A hates coming out to the farm.

You want to haul gravel? The lanscape people will deliver it for practically free. I wouldn't dirty and ding my F250 if I had one with that stuff.
    That is why they make bedliners. I didn't buy a truck so I could pay someone else to haul my stuff. Sure, if I am building a house, they can bring the materials out.

sighting of the day: some woman hauling only a baby stroller in a HD Ford 250 turbo diesel.
    Maybe she has a big camper in the yard and it is not cost effective to have 2 vehicles. I don't have my truck loaded all the time either, but when I need it, it is there.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Can't fake the four letter words either... not allowed!

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Like any major purchase (or even small for some) one should research all available data. Also, one should outline the goals, needs, wants and desires of their purchase. Major automotive magazines, Consumer Reports, test drives, appeal, MPG, resale, reliability; these are some of the major variables/factors used in determining the worth of a vehicle purchase. What I tend to see on these blogs is some individuals take just one of these factors or maybe a couple and ride that to the ground when debating or making accusations. I can't debate with someone whether the Tacoma is better looking that a Ridgeline or not (though, to me, it seems pretty cut and dry) but I can talk gas mileage, reliability, resale, road tests, etc. I think you would be very, very alone trying to argue that the Tacoma is going to get beat overall in a ratings review competition (and I am talking about something objective by 3rd party evaluators). Maybe the Ridgeline is a very good truck however, that would be a risk as Honda is so new to the truck game. Toyota is a seasoned and leading veteran. Reliability is AVERAGE for the Ridgeline. Dealers can't seem to give them away (I am speaking from personal experience; as I was leaving the dealer just kept lowering, and lowering, and lowering the price to keep me from exiting). My point is; it is common knowledge amongst a somewhat elite core group of people to NEVER EVER buy a version 1.0 of ANYTHING. Whether it be software, mp3 players, tv's, or vehicles. Let them work the bugs out THEN make your purchase after the data comes back. Version 1.X is always the smart buy.
    Yes, the Ridgeline is new and definitely not the most attractive vehicle but you shouldn't argue that it is better than the Tacoma because most of the MAJOR criteria used to evaluate vehicles is already in and it definitely points to the Tacoma. Just say you like it because of what it has and it's different not better.
  • most of the MAJOR criteria used to evaluate vehicles is already in

You are so right about that.

Honda Ridgeline awards

-Motor Trend truck of the year 2006
    -North American Truck of the year 2006
    -Detroit News truck of the year 2006
    -Consumer Reports top rated truck
    -JD Power & Associates 2005 APEAL award for the Honda Ridgeline
    -Autobytel 2006 Editors' Choice Award: Truck of the year 2006
    -Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) Best New Pickup 2006
    -On Wheels Incorporated: Ridgeline 2006 Urban Wheel Award for the Urban Truck of the Year
    -Ridgeline wins Strategic Vision's coveted "Most Delightful" compact pickup award.
    -best rollover resistance rating of any pickup tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    -first-ever 4-door pickup to earn a 5-star safety rating for both front and side impact crash test performance from the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).
    -Society of Plastic Engineers 2005 Grand Award (composite inbed trunk)
    -Car And Driver Rates Honda Ridgeline #1 Pickup.
    - AutoWeek Editors' Choice Award as the 'Most Significant' new vehicle in the show
    -Maxim Truck Of The Year 2006
    -Autoweb.com top ten tailgater

The MAJOR criteria used to evaluate vehicles is already in and it definitely points to the Ridgeline. Just say you like the Tacoma because of what it has and it's different not better.

I've driven the Ridgeline going on 2 years off road, hauling etc., and it is one excellent truck. The only area the Tacoma will edge out the Ridgeline is off road because it has more clearence. For on road very bad winter conditions, the Ridgeline can't be beat.
  • The Ridgeline and Tacoma are really in a different class and size. The ridgeline has a full size interior while the Tacoma is mini truck size.
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    I think that the Ridgeline is a wonderful truck, albeit a tad expensive. But, people should not compare off-roading abilities with the Taco. These two trucks are very, very different animals, and the Tacoma is a true off-roader.
  • Hondas are not going for anywhere close to sticker price. The last thing I remember hearing was a $1,500 rebate, that right guys?
  • novanova Posts: 135
    As of March 1 ,2007 the dealer cash has been raised another $ 500.00 to $ 2000.00 now. Now seems to be a good time to buy a Ridgeline. I bought my ridgeline RTX last month, 1000 miles lovin every minute
  • roaddog2roaddog2 Posts: 13
    Since this is a comparison, here's a short list of the must have stuff my Ridge gives me that the Tacoma wouldn't:

leather, heated front seats, power driver seat, dual zone auto climate control, heated windshield glass at wiper rest point (very important where I live), traction control, Vehicle stability assist, air bags and air curtains all around, sub-woofer, power rear sliding window (a must for crew cabs), brake assist, full width bed for laying plywood and drywall flat, power sunroof, VTM-4 (call it AWD if you want),

The tacoma offers stuff that the R-line doesn't but I don't miss those. And that goes for the bed length. At 6' the Tacoma is 18" longer than the Ridge which makes it a pain to maneuver and you can't properly load plywood or drywall without modifications.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Serious question. Compare the pilot to the ridgeline for your needs excluding the extra ease of loading/unloading the sheet material,thanks.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    So how big do you think the Diesel will be? I vote for 3.0 liters. What do you think?
  • toytruck1toytruck1 Posts: 5
    I traded my 2006 Tacoma 2wd DblCab Off Road for a 2007 Ridgeline. I was worried regarding some of the "leaking" posts along with other problems (struts), but after hanging around the Tacoma forum, I know that ALL vehicles have issues, including my Tacoma. I decided to go for it. I recouped within $500 of price paid new for the Taco, and RL's being soft, $5,000 off the Honda. I know I'll have to keep this or face losing more $$, but I LOVE this vehicle. A trunk, dual climate control, power seat, decent stereo, wheel controls and I'm a happy camper. A lot of vehicle for 26K.

Mileage is within 1mpg of the Tacoma. Handling is far better although I am less inclined to "toss" this vehicle (4500# vs 4000#) around like I did the Toyota. Tacoma is more of the "sports car" between the two, but the ride was way bouncier. Room inside the Ridgeline is comparable to my 02 Ram QuadCab, but maneuvering is far easier.

I shall have my hitch and wiring in in about 2 weeks, so the next thing to report will be the towing behavior. From what I've read from others, the RL is a great tow vehicle. Honda should be applauded for taking this direction--a Hondamino.
  • I'm looking to pick up a truck in December, so i've begun the process of test driving.
    In the past week, I have driven a Tacoma, a Frontier, a Explorer Sport-Trac, and today, I drove a Ridgeline.
    First of all, the Ridgeline is easily the best all around vehicle. The ride, the interior looks, the features, the noise level are all superior then the other trucks. Now the question is whether its worth the extra 3-5K.
    Before I began all the test drives, I would have bet that I would end up in a Tacoma. Now I'm not so sure.
    The Taco handled Ok, but I did not like the site lines, and felt the engine noise was loud. I'm actually thinking of trying another test drive in case I got a lemon.
    The Frontier was much better then expected. The noise levels were almost as good as the Ridgeline. It actually felt better then the Taco. And I may still be able to get a deal on an 07, because they are not moving at the local dealerships.
    The Sport-trac is now off my list. The engine noise was pretty loud for city speed, but was much quieter on the highway. The brakes were very squishy. The real problem is that the local dealerships are keeping a very low inventory of the trucks. I used an inventory search engine and found less then 20 Sport-Tracs for the entire metro area (which has over 8 million people). Not going to get any good deals with those kind of numbers.
    So, after this round of test drives, I would bet I end up in a Frontier, with the hope that Honda may have a good deal pop up for December (not a great possibility, but no unheard of).