Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    I don't know about the rest of the trucks in the world, but mine much prefers the weight in the bed versus on a trailer as far as hill-climbing, acceleration, etc. If your boat trailer has brakes, not a safety issue to put the gear in the boat, but I would think that it could pull it better with more weight in the bed and less on the trailer. I can put 2500# in the bed of my truck and still pull a hill at 60, but if I pull that same (or less) amount of weight in the form of a trailer, I have to shift down (~35 mph) to get the torque I need to pull the same hill. The funny thing is that I can pull a 10000# trailer at the same speed (~35mph). Oy. It can haul anything, but it won't do it fast!
  • merrobmerrob Posts: 10
    can anyone post the recommended fuel for the tacoma and the frontier. i know it's regular for the ridgeline. with gas prices up this is a major issue for me.
  • novanova Posts: 135
    05 Frontier V6 crew cab automatic regular fuel 3000 miles no problems 19/20 mpg every tank
  • bootymanbootyman Posts: 1
    Are you getting that kind of gas mileage on a 2WD or 4WD truck? TXS
  • centralcalcentralcal Posts: 215
    Frontier CC LE V6 4x4. 17 mpg with 70/30 freeway/city 87 octane. I drive about 75 mph on freeway and punch it off the line a lot in town (too much fun with this much power).

On a different note, I can't believe people on this forum who are concerned about their families health and will get everything to pretect them (side airbags, vsc, etc) and then will try to push the limits of these midsized trucks. If you need to do heavy pulling, get a full sized truck. If you are trying to decide if the dog pushes your GTW over the limit and if you can put him in the cab or has to ride in the boat, get a bigger truck, that simple (IMHO).
  • novanova Posts: 135
    2 WD . I live in south Florida. I understand that in cold weather you get less gas milage. In south Florida it never gets very cold, that it would impact the mpg's.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    Yes you could move some things into the boat, but you need to pay attention to where you put the weight. Each axle on the tow vehilce has a specified weight capacity. You don't want to much weight in the back of the truck, then add 400lbs on tonque weight on top of that. You would be putting to much weight on the rear axle w/o a weight distributing hitch, which very few boats use. OTOH, boat trailers have max amount of weight they can carry as well. My boat trailer has a GVWR of 5000lbs. The trailer w/ a 4000lb load rating, meaning the trailer weighs 1000lbs itself. The boat weighs somewhere in the area of 3200lbs plus fuel etc. The last time I had it weighed, it was around 4200lbs w/o fuel. Add 35 gallons of fuel and water toys etc and it's around 4500lbs, so the I could put another 500lbs in the boat w/o overloading the trailer. You also need to be aware of where your putting the weight in the boat. To much in the front and you'll have to much tongue weight, which causes the front end of the tow vehicle to feel excessively light. To much weight in the back of the trailer will cause the opposite, to little tongue weight which causes trailer sway.
  • 5553543255535432 Posts: 150
    Thanks a million,

Thats it for me I don't want to do any math and get myself a headache distributing the weight all around just because I got a Ridgeline. Leasing a Frontier would be my best solution for now.I'll check the Ridgeline 2 years from now and see if the the towing has improved and gas hasn't reach the $3.50 forcasted price ceiling.
  • 6spdtl6spdtl Posts: 30
    Guys guys (and gals) the point were trying to make here is that the ridgeline matches or exceeds all midsize trucks in hauling of towing. It is not meant to say that it can out tow a full size truck, it can't. Nevertheless, the great majority of truck owners regardless of size never tow or haul even close to the maximum capacity that those vecles can do. The ridgeline offers outstanding towing and hauling(for its size) fantastic driving characteristics plus all the safety and comfort ammenities you can think about. As far a truck credentials, its the truck (and more) that 85% of buyers need plus it offers accomodations, safety and driving performance no other truck and many cars can only dream of providing. If you tow horses, yatchs and other things that require a full size truck, sorry Honda doesn't make one for your requirements yet:)
  • dadoftaydadoftay Posts: 136
    I talked to a guy at a gas station Saturday about his Ridgeline. By the way, there are people who don't know about edmunds.com so this guy's face was priceless when I start blabbing on about our discussions here. His wife locked the doors. He traded in a Tahoe for the Ridgeline and loves it. He hauls a ski boat and takes the family to the lake (didn't mention what lake, maybe scared I'd show up) and says no problems and higly recommends the truck. He then quickly left. Those things are pretty fast, by the way! So, while I'm not advocating the stalking of gas station customers, chalk one up for Honda in the real world.
  • Do you work for Honda or are you a novel writer?

You write a lot of fiction here. Look up the tow ratings for Tacoma, Dakota, and Frontier to find out for yourself. The battle is not full-size vs. midsize; it's right in the mid-size field.

Or maybe you compose music, because you change your tune slightly when people present facts rather than hyperbole.

Aside from the towing debate, Ridgeline ONLY comes with automatic transmission, and no low-range transfer case. For many truck buyers, those will be reasons to not even consider the Ridgeline. Especially since ALL Honda and Acura automatic transmissions are listed as banned from Mt. Washington Auto Rd.--too fragile for steep sustained grades (Jaguar and Sterling share this distinction). They were blacklisted there more than 20 years ago, and they STILL are.

I didn't come here to trash Honda products. But some things need to be pointed out, because they do matter to some buyers. The Ridgeline is a different offering from other vehicles, and that's good. What's not so good is your (Honda's?) squirrely presentation of "minor" things such as off-road ability or towing capacity.
  • reddrigreddrig Posts: 3
    This cracks me up. First off I don't own a Tacoma or a Ridgeline. You talk about real world. I work for a City in Orange County Ca near the ocean. Land of the SUV and now the ridgeline. 03-10-05 Obs a ridgeline towing a Trophy fishing boat up a grade to get to the launch area. Ridgeline did not make it. Gearbox let go on his new Ridgeline. I helped this person with tow services. Boat was around 5200 pounds with gas. He prob had another 500 pounds in gear. Yes it was overloaded a tad, but it was a new vehicle and did not handle this load at all. I'm still intrested in the Ridgeline, but not for it's towing capabilities. Trucks and these hybrids share a few things in common, but if I'm towing I'll lean toward the truck. This was as real world as it gets and the Honda failed in my eyes.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    How did it fail? He exceeded Hondas specifications. He was a moron. Just curious, how much stuff did he have in the Ridgeline itself. Was he also carrying 5 adults, and a bunch of stuff in the bed?
  • reddrigreddrig Posts: 3
    I did not search the boat, but the gear he had was in his vehicle. Single male adult. After the problem vehicle made a grinding noise with a lurching movement upon acceleration. I'm not a certified mechanic, bit I believe it was a gearbox prob. I agree the guy was stupid, but I have overloaded a few trucks in my lifetime and never tore one up like this guy did. I'm a Ridgeline fan, but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon about the towing capabilities of this vrhicle. If I want to tow anything over 4000 pounds I'll stick to trucks that were designed for that purpose. Another reason I like the Ridgeline is it appeals to my wife more than a truck does. It's more SUV and fits the suburbite chick/mother image. I'm already seeing rich moms enroute to the local Grocery store inb the new Ridgeline. This helps me out when I have to sell it to the old lady.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    This is another reason why 4x4 trucks have a low range in the transfer case. Low range can be very useful with boat ramps, which can be steep. As much as I like the Ridgeline, I really think Honda was remiss in not offering this feature.

I bet he also did not lock it in 4x4 mode. In order to do this, the vehicle must be in either "1" or "2.," not "Drive."

Also, besides being a bit overloaded, the truck was brand new and most likely not broken in.

Bob
  • bongusbongus Posts: 8
    This might sound like a stupid question but how do you "break in" the car so that you avoid a problem like this?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    The Ridgeline is an interesting vehicle, but I am still not sure what Honda's target audience is. I think you will see more SUV owners make the switch than truck owners. The idea of a trunk in the truck sounds great, but my dad owns a construction company, and his bed is always full of things. That would mean that you would constantly be needing to move things around to get to tools, accessories, etc. Now if the bed of your truck is always clear, then this is great, but most truck owners buy a truck to put things in the bed..

Now I have not seen one in person, but from the commercials and other pics, I think this truck is rather weird looking.. It may look better in person, and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder (as my wife can attest), but I think the styling may turn more people off to the truck than on to it.

I have not driven the new Nissan Frontier, but on paper it looks awesome, and should be considerably cheaper than a Ridgeline (since Honda is not exactly known for negotiating on price). My other concern is Honda working out all the kinks on its first ever American sized truck. I would definitely wait a year or two. I would like to drive one, but still think I would end up with either a Ford, Nissan, or Toyota.
  • chuck999chuck999 Posts: 38
    Great story about the transmission failure, although as everyone already mentioned there could be lots of reasons for this ...

I'm not sure that I would agree with the poster who said "He exceeded Hondas specifications. He was a moron."

Most engineers tend to design in at least a 10-20% tolerance in specs - "just in case" ...

So at 5800 pounds - it was about 16% over spec - not really all that bad .....

Certainly not so overloaded as to justify a catastrophic transmission failure ...

Again - should remember that the Ridgeline is an EARLY production version of a NEW vehicle - there are bound to be bugs to work out. BUT - it's hard for me to see why a transmission that works fine with 5000 pounts should fail with just a 16% overload .....
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    The vehicle was probably less than 2 weeks old. As with any brand new vehicle, you don't put under heavy stress until it's been fully broken in.

I probably would have waited until the vehicle had at least 1000 miles on it before towing a heavy trailer.

Bob
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,442
    bob,
    anyone can post unsubstantiated stories about some vehicle nightmare. my guess is that it was just a bad unit. not only that, but anyone towing that big a boat with a 'ridge or other similar size vehicle is asking for trouble. think cross winds while towing. from my own personal experience, my friend was unable to pull his 19 foot boat out of a steep ramp with his astro van, even with 2 of us were standing on the trailer tongue. my wife's '91 explorer with an anemic 160 hp, but with low range and about 200 lbs of torque managed to both up the ramp. it was a manual tranny, so it really smelled doing it, but we drove with that clutch for at least another 5 years, before trading it in.