Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Well I have seen pictures on the net of 3rd row seats collapsed flat (both) and stowed in the well (both).
    I think at the www.tundra. site or something like that.
    Toyota is not so dumb as to make the stow half ...as...ed.
    You are picky....and it is an in line 4. Actually if it was a V4 then they could put more cup holders under the hood maybe....:)
  • sayers1sayers1 Posts: 42
    http://prg.toyotapartsandservice.com/pdfs/2006_Rav4.pdf

This is the Reference Guide on the Toyota website for the 06 RAV4. If you didn't get a hard copy of it when you got the vehicle, maybe you should print it up and take it with you to the dealer to show THEM how the seat is supposed to work.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Just load it on the roof rack. I doubt there is 4' between the wheel wells anyway, and it's only going to tear up your interior carpet and cloth.

-juice
    Well was not the guy with the seat trouble but thanks for the info.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Nothing wrong with fixing incorrect statements.
    44" between the wheel wells, 52.5" wide above the wheel wells. About 74" from the door inside to the back of the front seats with them set at a normal driving position.

Not enough room in any dimension for a sheet of ply. Use the roof rack.
  • soopereddsooperedd Posts: 32
    I ordered it on Feb. 23rd and the dealer called last week and said it would be here in two weeks, so I don't know yet, but I have read that it turns off when you get in as a security feature?
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Posts: 266
    I used the remote start for the first time today, the weather turned cold last night, windshield was froze over, so I used used it, worked great. It shuts the engine down after 10 minutes automatically or when the unlock button or key is used to unlock the car.
  • hells_bellshells_bells Posts: 21
    quickdtoo (or anyone else),

What's the range of the remote start?
  • I have to admit, for awhile there I thought maybe I should've
    gone with a V6 instead of my I4. But lately I'm awfully glad I
    didn't go that route. Performance & MPG's have been top notch
    and I have a feeling they will be in higher demand years from
    now when I try to sell it. Whadayu think?
    ----------------------
    Thanks Jim.

44"x74" is well short of the 48"x96" you'd need for plywood, as expected. And you can't drive with that gate wide open so forget about leaning it on one side, use the roof rack or get a trailer.

I do think the Sienna will fit a 48"x96" sheet, though, with the seats removed.

hit_the_road: hard to say, even the V6 is relatively efficient, compared to other V6s in the class, so I don't think that hurts it much. Your operating costs will be lower, however.

-juice
    The remote locks and unlocks from about 50-60 yards away, but I haven't used the remote starter from that distance, but I would expect it to have the same range.
  • silveravinsilveravin Posts: 8
    MC, I just got my Rav4 V6 Sport 4x4 last night and had a heck of a time locating one in silver in the Bay Area, CA. There just isn't much availability of the V6 4x4's in general, let alone the specific colors and options. The dealer had to swap one of their different models. The other dealers are also not really willing to do this if it's a hot version they have b/c they know they can sell it easily themselves. I got lucky the dealers had mutual benefit for the swap. You have to either call every dealer yourself and get it directly, or hope that your dealership has some pull. Also as far as ordering special, dealers don't want to do this b/c it will take at least 2 months and there is risk that you won't follow thru, especially if you order specific options. It's also a request, not guaranteed from what I've been told. Check the toyota web site to see what options usually come with the L 4x4 in Northern CA. If you plug a different state they change. Looks like So CA is lacking for 4x4's. BTW I got mine for $210 over Edmunds Invoice w/ SR,GY,DJ,CD,RL. :D
    Well enjoy your V6 Sport and keep us posted on how you like it and MPG etc.
  • rallythisrallythis Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing the 2006 RAV4 V6. I love the power and stability on my test drive, but I want to understand towing a little better.

I will be carrying 5 people total and towing a trailer with a 2000 lb. GVWR. The RAV4 V6 has a maximum tow rating of 3500 lbs. and a payload of 1073lbs. Making the GVW 4600 lbs.

I don’t want to strain the engine, or push the vehicle. Will anyone share advice, or information on how this will turn out?
    Thank you.
    The gross combined weight capacity varies for V6 models depending on 2WD or 4WD, with or without 3rd seat and with or without tow prep package. For a 2Wd, 5 passenger w/tow prep, the max is 8220lbs, 4WD 5 passenger w/tow prep is 8100lbs.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    With the V-6 you have plenty of power for that size trailer and 5 people (unless you're all sumo :) ). Being an engineer I know that manufacturers have to be conservative in their claims, because people will always push the limits in such matters.

And from what I've seen over all the years, in many countries people test the limits of these trucks all the time by loading 10 people and a month's food in them. You should have no problem.

And for those who want to haul construction supplies, I think a utility trailer is the way to go. You should even be able to rent one on a daily basis. Or if you can afford to buy a new Rav4, you can spend the $20 to get the supplies delivered. Unless you're a contractor I wouldn't let such stuff affect a vehicle decision.
    Read the fine print, because I'm pretty sure the max trailer weight without trailer brakes is 1000 lbs, and most small trailers do not have their own brakes.

If you do have trailer brakes, I think the V6 has plenty of torque to get it going. I would consider a transmission cooler if I were going to tow for long distances (anyone know if Toyota includes one?).

-juice
    By law, trailer brakes are required on trailers/cargos over 2000lbs, but the owner's manual states 600lbs.Towing is covered in the manual starting on page 311.
  • snanitasnanita Posts: 4
    I am seriously planning on getting a RAV4,I've test drove 3 of them, but the last one that I test drove was actually the perfect one for me, but the problem was that whenever I brake fairly hard, I can actually hear the gas in the gas tank moving.... Is this normal with any of your RAV4? Is anyone else having this issue? The dealer did an inspection on it and decided that they will change the entire gas tank, which they did. Even though the sound is substantially less, you can still hear it alittle bit. The dealer told us that the other RAV4 on the lot is doing the same thing. Can someone please let me know today, because they want us to go in today to buy the car.
  • bcbob8bcbob8 Posts: 17
    Have never heard gas sloshing around in our tank. Odd. Maybe your stereo isn't turned up loud enough! Have had ours for 5 weeks now and seem to be getting consistent 23 mpg driving about 80% city, 20% at 50 mph. Zero complaints about the quality and performance; only nitpicks are about small things like cup holders, and poor rear cargo area light. Good luck, snanita, I hope it works out for you. You'll be getting a first-rate vehicle, that's for sure.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    I have yet to hear this as well. I've taken mine down to the low fuel light twice now. However I'm still in the break-in mode which specifically states not to do any hard braking, so it might be there but I haven't heard a thing.
    You must have some *seriously* good hearing. :D

-juice
    Well, I didn't break REALLY hard, but even at just 5-10 mph and breaking creates that liquid sound. I just called Toyota and they said they will document this incident. They have no clue either. they said maybe it's just the car is too quite and you can hear the liquid in the gas tank. Has anyone try turning down the music and actually try to listen for it? I am really hesitant in buying it.
    It was not just me that can hear it, my husband and the salesperson, and the tech guys also. This was about a week ago, and they actually change out the entire gas tank yesterday and told us it's ready to buy, but you can still hear it alittle bit. Not as bad as a week ago.
  • tnrunnertnrunner Posts: 5
    I've had my v-6 limited for almost a month now, and I've not heard this sound, either. By the way, anyone know what the smallish, rectangular storage slot on the far left side of the dash area is supposed to hold? small cell phones?
  • mc94087mc94087 Posts: 6
    thanks for your reply. congrats on your new RAV4! the options I ordered is a standard package in california. i guess they are just in short supply. at this rate, i may end up just waiting for a 2007 model!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,858
    The second (?) generation Honda Odyssey suffered from gas sloshing noise, and I think another Honda exhibited this symptom (Pilot, iirc).

Honda put baffles in the tank and that helped a lot. Mostly people seemed to get used to the noise after a few hundred miles and tuned it out.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• thecatthecat Posts: 528
    Gas sloshing - I'm pretty sure that mfgr's put baffles inside the tanks. It's not just a big empty container. I've now got 1k miles on mine and haven't noticed this issue. I would imagine this is one of those things were now that you've heard it you're listening for it. Like a little squeek somewhere that drives you nuts. So with that in mind, THANKS A LOT FOR POINTING THIS OUT !

Little rectangular slot - a bic cigarette lighter fits there perfectly so when the sloshing noise finally makes you go psycho, you can set your car on fire.

- hutch ;)