Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Are we talking about safety or repair costs, which are two different issues? I can see the RAV being very safe for its occupants but still expensive to repair once someone nails you in the rear door.

I don't like the rear spare either. It looks odd and adds to the weight of the large rear door, which itself is something I've found to be an awkward design feature. However, the new Suzuki XV6 continues with the tacked-on rear spare on an otherwise modern design, so Toyota isn't alone in deciding that a rear spare is still OK.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    These are excactly the points I've trying to make in my last few postings. I also can't wait to try one. Use to own a 1998 model (found it too small and underpowered).
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    I agree. Read my previous post.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    It's certainly a repair cost issue, but is a safety one too, w.r.t poorer rear visibility, the glass shattering issue etc. etc. Plus it's inconvenient, especially for curbside loading and trailer towing, where you might not even be able to open the rear door fully or access the cargo area. And then there's the matter of looks...check out the optional Euro version without the spare vs. the US version with it.
    http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/6247/rav4x11bv.jpg
    http://t.wieck.com/PV/2005/09/09/TYT2005090929406_PV.jpg
  • The 2005 Highlander is still out there - if you can live with the Auto Trans.

No rear-mount spare, and the 4-cylinder model is rated 27mpg on the Highway. My 2002 4-banger is a great ride, so the '06 RAV4 has got some pretty big shoes to fill. I can live with a size smaller, but need to get the fun-to-drive quotient up. Can hardly wait - anyone out there going to Frankfurt?
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    "Do you Know the way to Sante Fe
    I'm going there 'cause I don't want no rear door mounted spare"

2007 Sante Fe....another leap forward, 7 seats, bet it will even be less expenseive
    than a V6 Rav4
  • I really like the short Euro version without the spare. Looks modern and clean. That was the pic I saw first earlier today, then was brought down to reality by the long US version with rear spare. However, overall I think the design is a winner. I suppose Toyota decided to continue the low rear loading floor feature rather than raise the floor to accommodate an underbody spare tire.

I haven't found rear visibility suffers to any real degree with the rear spare on our 2000 RAV4 and it hasn't been in an accident so I can't speak to damage, so my concerns chiefly have to do with looks and the side-opening door that you get as a result. When we bought the RAV last year I had to train myself to pay more attention to how I parked it, since it's easy to get into situations where you can't get the door open wide enough because of a wall, other cars, etc.
  • I currently have a 02 HL AWD V6 and was considering replacing it with the new RAV seeing has it has similar dimensions, but now that I've seen that it still has that butt ugly spare in the back, it's a no buy!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    3rd Row Seat I see.... :D
  • Look at the 2006 RAV4 specs, it is almost as big as current Highlander and has stronger engine!

ENGINE

3.5-liter V6 with dual VVT-i
    Horsepower: 268
    Torque: 246 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

2.4-liter four-cylinder with VVT-i
    Horsepower: 166
    Torque: 165 lb.-ft @ 4000 rpm

MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY

V6 (with tow prep package): 3500 lb.
    Four-cylinder: 1500 lb.

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS (inches)

Wheelbase: 105.0
    Overall Length: 181
    Overall Width (without/with overfenders): 71.5/73
    Overall Height (without/with roof rack): 66.1/68
    Toyota RAV4 specs page

2005 Highlander specs:

Exterior
    Length: 184.6 in. Width: 71.9 in.
    Height: 68.3 in. Wheel Base: 106.9 in.

4cyl
    Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 2.4 liters
    Base Engine Type: Inline 4 Horsepower: 160 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5700 rpm Torque: 165 ft

6cyl
    Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.3 liters
    Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 230 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5800 rpm Torque: 242 ft-lbs.
  • Does anyone know for certain if the following technology will be in the new Rav4?

1) Navigation System
    2) Bluetooth
    3) Push button start

I saw a picture of the interior (a different picture from that on the Toyota website) which had these features all visible.
    Thanks for your help!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    -Side Curtains and Airbags OPTIONAL (for the model debuted in Frankfurt, maybe will be different in the US)
    -FOUR SPEED AUTO WITH 4 cylinder
  • 'Yota's got to keep prices down somehow. Did you expect a 166HP four with 6-speed Auto?

This is a very impressive vehicle. ;) Which begs the question "What's next?"

What does this mean for 4Runner and Highlander?

They certainly need to grow in size and power to justify any premium over the New Rav4. How big do they get? How powerful?

It looks like Toyota has spent some time making the Rav more off-road worthy. What does this mean for the 4Runner's future? :confuse:

Does this mean the next Highlander takes on a new path? More like the Pacifica-esque concept shown in Detroit? Seems that way to me. I'm sure the Rav4 will rival the CR-V in interior space, so what will the Highlander become? A bigger Rav4? I wouldn't bet on it.

With the ascention of the Rav4, the introduction of the back-to-basics LC, and the sales slide (and harsh reviews) of the 4Runner, I see 'Yota paring down to 4 SUV's, Rav4, HL, LC, and Sequioa.

There will always be a warm place in my heart for the 4Runner :) , as it was on of the vehicles I learned to drive (Stick) on. Take care, old friend. :cry:

DrFill
  • I'd totally forgotten that I made this forum!

My initial question was where will the Rav4 go with the HL above it.

Silly me! OVER the HL is a nice place to rest! ;)

DrFill
  • With a big Plus - a stick shift available with the 4-cyl. This is big for me personally. It might allow at least the FWD versions to get over 30mpg highway.

With all the issues discussed in other forums regarding the 5-speed automatic, I'm glad they stuck with the tried-and-true 2.4L with 4-speed automatic. I've got the 2002 version of this powertrain in my Highlander, and it's tough to beat.

I'm a fossil, though - I tend to want to stay with proven technology, and let others be the early adopters. I drove a lot of miles with 2-speed automatics - anyone else remember the GM PowerGlide? Our family had a 55 Chevy BelAir with it, then a 64 BelAir, then a 67 Biscayne. Later came the 67 Malibu. All pretty dang solid transmissions. For years after the TurboHydraMatic 350 came out (1969, I think), with its 3-speeds, the PowerGlide continued to be perceived as the more robust transmission. Even with one fewer gear ratio.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "Horsepower: 268"

Strange.

That's the exact number for the total HP of the RX400h and the Highlander Hybrid.

You don't suppose the MY2006 RAV4 V6 is actually a hybrid??
  • No, this is a neat coincidence, though! The hybrid models you speak of come from the 3.3 liter V-6. This engine is a 3.5 liter, to be found in the new Camry.
  • Nice. I thought that 300 hp for the 3.5L was a stretch.... now all we can hope is that Toyota can keep the price down.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    that they will use the 5-speed automatic from the Camry, and just haven't announced it? It is an existing powertrain, and would improve fuel economy.

First 4Runner got too big, now RAV has done the same. This will be a cute ute no more in about three months. What will Toyota do to fill that void?

And for that matter, the question posed above is a very good one - Toyota is crowding too many SUVs into the midsize, 7-passenger, $30K range. They will all begin to eat each other alive, and there is a genuine use for a small crossover, a "cute ute". Perhaps one of the weird Corolla permutaions sold in Europe will rear up its head stateside in future?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)