Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529
    My '99 Nissan manual says that it's "normal to add some oil between maintenance intervals or during the break-in period, depending on the severity of operation conditions."

1.1 qt every 600 miles sounds like a lot to me. Some Isuzu Trooper owners complain of excessive oil consumption, and most of those folks think a quart every 1,000 miles is excessive. (link)

Is the normal service interval still 5,000 miles? Until the Toyota sludge issue a few years ago, I think they had bumped it up to 7,500 miles.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mike1111mike1111 Posts: 93
    The new RAV4 V6 has the same motor as the Avolon right?I've never seen anything about oil burning in the Avolon so i hope it's not a big deal.Thanks for the info raydahs i'm still gonna ge the RAV but i'll keep an eye and ear out for any probs people on here have with theres
  • lirlir Posts: 81
    "Ltd's or RAV's in general?"

RAV's in general...but the few that I have seen have either been base or sport. I truly believe that Toyoya is selling lots of these, I was just wondering where they're going.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529
    Lol, I didn't mean to strike a nerve! :shades:

My '89 Voyager occasionally used a bit of oil but never a whole quart between changes. Adding oil every 1,000 miles would drive me crazy, although my buddy with the three leaking seals on his 12 year old F-150 figures it's cheaper to add some oil (and kitty litter to his driveway) every now and then instead of replacing the gaskets.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

What would cause a new motor to burn oil?Well that much oil any way?
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    He He....no nerve struck here. I absolutely loved that vehicle, the best I've owned to date, 05' Camry comes in 2nd. It got to the point where I was adding so much oil, I just replaced the filter every 3500 miles!
    Tolerances, if the piston comes in at the low side and the cylinder comes in at the high side you have what they call "least material condition" result being a maximum gap. Then you have to factor in the ring tolerances, valves etc. their are a lot of variables, it gets complicated, but that's it in a nut shell.
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Your loosing it! None of these modern engines use much oil. A quart in 10,000 would be a suprise.
    I was just asken about a earlier post about new rav4 usen 1.1 quart every 600 miles.I'm getten one this year and was scared by what i read i was maken sure.I know they should'nt burn any really but if you read before people were freaken out about it
  • soopereddsooperedd Posts: 32
    Consumer Reports and J.D. Powers give it 5 stars for projected reliability; their highest rating. Forbes has it as the MOST reliable due to those ratings!!
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I drove a RAV4 V6 Sport by myself, then went back today with my wife, but the dealer only had four cylinder versions in stock, so we drove one. The interior storage and cargo storage and flexibility are impressive, and they now have Sirius radio. We are considering a Limited V6 4WD. While we need to drive one for a longer time or drive more of them, it seems that the reviews are accurate. It is quiet, powerful, and handles very well.

We don't need a vehicle which weighs 1,000 pounds more, has less interior and cargo storage, has lousy fuel mileage, and costs $10,000 more than a RAV4. I suspect that as more people become aware of the RAV4, they will feel the same way.

Does anyone know if Bluetooth is available?
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Posts: 72
    I noticed that the turn signals will not shut off on anything less than a 90 degree turn. Because I'm 6 ft 2 and cannot adjust the sterring wheel up high enough, I fail to notice that the signals are still on. My Camry would always shut off on any turns. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Posts: 266
    Sure have! My hearing is bad too, so I can't hear the flasher clicking, so I've found the signal still blinking after a turn more than a few times! :blush:
  • monobomonobo Posts: 10
    I do not believe you can get a tow package at all in Cali. There are tons of them in Arizona and Nevada. The prices seem to be good. I posted what I am buying below. I could probably save almost 600 dollars if I bought a silver one. I put 500 dollars down on this one and am going to fly to Arizona to get it. I told them I am not paying for the permaplate warranty. It sounds like a scam to me. I am buying it for about a thousand under MSRP. If we weren't stuck on this color I could of bought mine today.
    Model Description: 5-DOOR 4X4 SUV Category ..........: A
    Year ............: 2006 Current Dealer ....: 150-02036
    Interior Color ..: FC10 FC10 Wholesale Dealer ..:
    Exterior Color ..: 08R3 BLUE Previous Dealer ...: 00150
    Body ............: 5-DOOR 4X4 SUV Invoice Date ......:
    Number of Cyl ...: 6 Ship Date .........:
    Allocation Number: 051 Retail Date .......:
    Engine Number ...: 0187478 Date of First Use .:
    Vessel Number ...: 407 TRAC ..............: NO
    Vessel Name .....: PYXS LDRV014 Damage ............: NO DAMAGE
    PDI ...............: NO
    Fleet .............: NON-FLEET
    Port PDS Complete .: NO

VIN .............:
    Ignition Key.....: 68537

Factory Installed Accessories: FE CD DJ DR AW GY RL TO
    Port Installed Accessories ..: CF EF

Retail
    Vehicle Base Model ....................: $23735.00
    Total Accessories .....................: $ 2139.00

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    3.5 Liter DOHC V6 w/Dual VVT-i Engine
    5 Speed ECT Automatic Transmission
    Elec On-Demand 4WD / 4WD Man. Lock
    Electronic Power Steering/4-Whl Ind Susp
    Fr&Rr Stabilizer Bars/4-Whl Disc Brakes
    Hill-Start Assist Ctl/Dwnhill Assist Ctl
    17" 5-Spk Stlyd Steel Whls w/P225/65R17
    Tires & Fl Sz Spre Tire on 17" Steel Whl
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System Includes:
    Vehicle Stability Ctrl w/Traction Ctrl
    Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD
    Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Fr Airbags (SRS)
    3Pt Seat Belts in All Locations
    2nd Row CRS Lower & Top Tether Anchors
    Rear Door Child Safety Locks
    Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    EXTERIOR
    UV Reduction Glass Wndshld/Rr Priv Glass
    Clr-Kyd Bmprs,Rr Spoiler,Spre Tire Covr
    Black Grille/Dr Handles/Pwr O/S Mirrors
    Multi-Reflectr Halogn Auto-Off Headlmps
    Front Var & Rear Intermittent Wipers
    Fender Mounted Mast Antenna
    LED Tail and Stop Lamps
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Air Conditioner w/Clean Air Filtration
    AM/FM CD w/6 Spks / Aux. Mini-Plug
    Man Tilt/Telescopic Adj. Steering Wheel
    Cloth Int,Mlti-Adj Fr Chairs w/Dr Ht Adj
    2nd Rw 60/40 Splt,Reclne,Fld Flt w/Slide
    Fwrd Cpblty w/Ctr Armrst, 2 Cup Holders
    Dual Glove Box/Digital Clock/Cruise Ctrl
    Power Windows/Door Locks/Keyless Entry
    Optitron IP Gauges / Gated Shifter
    2 Fr/1 Cargo Auxiliary 12V Power Outlets
    Ctr Cnsl w/2-Illum Cup Hldrs, Cell Phone
    Storage,Upper Storage Tray, & Cnsole Box
    Crg Area 2nd Rw Seat 1 Tch Fld Flt Lever
    Rr Cargo Storage w/Undr Flr Storage Spce
    Sunvisor w/ Ext & Illum Vanity Mirror
    Ilumntd Entry Systm/Silver Interior Trim
    Retail Total
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................: $23735.00 $23735.00
    Federal Emissions ..........................
    Cargo Area Tonneau Cover with .............. 140.00
    Multipurpose Cargo Net with Support Poles ..
    AM/FM 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer w/ 6 ....... 200.00
    Speakers, and MP3 / WMA Playback ...........
    Capability .................................
    Black Roof Rails & Crossbars ............... 220.00
    17" 5-Spoke Aluminum Alloy Wheels .......... 440.00
    w/P225/65R17 Tires and Full Size Spare .....
    Tire on 17" Steel Wheel ....................
    Driver & Front Passenger Front ............. 650.00
    Seat-Mounted Side Airbags and Front-and ....
    Second-Row Roll- Sensing Side Curtain ......
    Airbags (RSCA) .............................
    Daytime Running Lights ..................... 40.00
    Towing Prep Package - V6 3,500lb. Towing ... 160.00
    Capacity - Includes Upgrade Radiator, Fan ..
    Coupling, Alternator, and Pre-Wiring ......
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat ................ 214.00
    Rear Bumper Applique ....................... 75.00
    --------- ---------
    Total Accessories ...........................: $ 2139.00 $ 2139.00
    Destination Charge ..........................: $ 605.00

Total .......................................: $26479.00

Selling the vehicle at $25348, you're looking at $28128.41 Including TTL. You have to pay arizona tax at 8.1% on the vehicle which is $2077.41 When you go back to San Diego, you'll either get money back from the state of california if the tax is less or more if the tax is more. You don't have to pay arizona's plate's, so you're only paying a 30 day drive out plate for $30. Your Doc Fee is $369 and $5 AZ tire disposal tax and there is a perma plate $299 warranty on the vehicle (thats an interior and exterior protection on the vehicle for 5 years.)

I'll be in the office till 7 today..call with any questions.
  • tbjorkmtbjorkm Posts: 3
    Did you ever figure this out ?
    I found the same plug in my glove compartment
    Thanks
  • soopereddsooperedd Posts: 32
    I'm 6'1" and I have only had my RAV a couple of days and the same thing has happened to me.
  • battinabattina Posts: 19
    I found mine in the little nitch above the DAC control and the heated seat controls-SO WHAT ARE THEY??
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Posts: 266
    The rubber plugs are to seal holes that were used for tie downs during shipment, they were supposed to be installed as part of the pre-delivery service according to TSB PD091-05.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Relax, everyone! I think it says that it is ACCEPTABLE to use that much, but in fact, it will not. My older Toyotas say something similar in the manual, but they never use a drop, as far as I can tell.
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    It's a litigious world .. people get lawyers involved in everything. Pretty soon there will be warning stickers on books about paper cuts. I'm sure what Toyota has done is to establish a problem marker with the 1.1 qt. in the owners manual. I checked fluids and tire pres. 1st thing on the day of purchase. It was 1/2 qt. low and tire pres. was low on all 4 tires. I corrected the problems and haven't seen any change since.

All you owners out there - anybody know what the 2 black domes are on the left side of the dashboard? The manual makes no mention of them.
  • Dear All, Last Friday the Escondido Dealer settled the case of my seat problem. The Santa Monica Toyota Service Dept gave me totally wrong information concerning the 2nd row seat and yes indeed all seats collapse on 3rd row version. My 40% seat was broken in production and Toyota got it partially working but they are still waiting for a couple of replacement parts to get it up to speed 100%. Thanks to Sayer and all who jumped in on this crazy problem. By the way, a sheet will fit in on a angle but not flat but at least you can get it in when all the seats down and the front seats are placed forward all the way.
    Gary
  • Just before I clocked 3k on the odometer, I called my Toyota dealer to book the Rav4 in for it's first oil change. The service manager said there was no need to bring it in until there were 5,000 miles on the thing, that every 5,000 is what Toyota is recommending in order to "help" the environment and save customers money... Dunno if this is true, but this is what I was told. So I'm waiting until 5,000 miles - 1,000 to go...
  • silveravinsilveravin Posts: 8
    Mono, thanks for posting your research. I thought of doing that but decided to get it here in CA after the dealer finally located one with most of what I wanted. I got it for $210 over Edmunds invoice, $26k b4 T&L, with SR, GY, CF, 6 spk sound. One pointer for you is to go by the invoice to price your vehicle, not the MSRP. Dealers get it for less than invoice b/c of bulk orders and this is what they are looking at to price the vehicle for buyers. Most dealers will settle for a few hundred bucks profit to make a sale.
    I don't know what Toyota is thinking by making only certain options available by region. It was difficult enough finding the one I got. Picked up the sport 4x4 v6 in silver and am very happy with the Rav. Good luck w/ yours and update us with your experience after you get it!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    This is correct. It's right from your service manual that you received upon delivery. This is true of all Toyota's.
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Posts: 72
    Does anyone know what the label means on the back of the 2nd row seats? It looks like a seat with a person sitting in it who has a ship's anchor draped over the seat. I can't figure out why it's there and what it means.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    The label is there to show the anchorage for child seats.
  • orioninilorioninil Posts: 39
    I got 25.5 mpg on the second tank. (50/50 city/highway).

This beats the 16/20 I was getting on my Chevy Blazer.

I LOVE the new toyota commercial....."I had a lot of HEART for my old truck (Chevy)...this time, I prefer to use my head..."

I couldn't agree more.
  • orioninilorioninil Posts: 39
    additions to the nit-pick list.

1. Passenger side cup holder is of no use if radar detector is plugged into outlet.
    2. Steering wheel does not tilt high enough to easily get in and out of the drivers seat (I am 6'2 - 6'3")
    3. Plastic interior marks-up way too easily
    4. Moonroof need and indicator for tilt down and close.
    5. Needs auto all-door open option when engine is shut off.
    6. Driver side auto open window control is driving me crazy
    7. Engine sounds like a large bee when idling.
    8. Front cup holders do not secure small water bottles well.
    9. Front console not high enough to lean on with elbow
    10. Amber console lighting is outdated
    11. Disc changer (should be able to select disc from buttons 1-6 on front, not by buttons 3-4? using up/down arrows).
    12. Ignition key (Limited), very difficult to turn in iginition without hitting the lock/unlock or alarm button.
    13. Is it really a "locking" spare tire cover? No, not really.
    14. Gas pedal is way too touchy. I'd bet that we will start hearing about some accidents because of this.
    15. Gas pedal is too close to brake (I wear size 13 shoes)

Beyond these nitpicks....I absolutely love it.

Let's hope the engine continues to perform well and is reliable. I can live with everything else.

I need to know I can count on this vehicle to perform when and where I need it.