Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    Some like to open the rear glass in order to haul long items. Like the CR-V.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Posts: 266
    I wouldn't mind if the rear window would retract into the door, but the swing up window I've never had a use for. My previous vehicle had a swing up hatch and the rear window also would open, but I never once used it in 5yrs, the hatch was nice tho, I miss that choice. Maybe the '07 will have an electric roll up/down rear window!

Having a swing out tire carrier was real practical in older mid '80s SUVs, the Bronco II, Blazer, Cherokees all had them among several others, they took a little getting used to, but worked well if they were made right, some of the door mounted swinging mounts left a lot to be desired, IE Bronco II.
  • Lots of great information on this site! The V-6 is what I am after. There is not a big price difference between the sport and limited. I am not opting for leather, so what say ye?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,261

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• It was raining this morning, so I had the wipers on. There was noticeable interference with the radio, even though I have sattelite radio, each time the wipers came down. I hadn't noticed it before.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    HOWS YOUR RATTLE. You, by chance have not discvered its actually coming from the pillar have you?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    We're at Costco and/or the grocery store probably at least twice a week, and loading at the curb side.

Keep in mind we're shopping for 5, so trips are more frequent and we have to get more stuff. Wifey saw the door opening towards the curb and called it "stupid".

It's set up for RHD markets. They didn't flip it over. Even if they did you would not have rain shelter to do that emergency diaper change on the road. It happens, trust me! :D

-juice
  • mterrellmterrell Posts: 21
    Just wanted to say had that I was able to have the window repaired . Today another rock cracked it. This glass is not right! I will file a complaint today. Below is the link to the site .Any one else has this problem Please file on this site..Office of defects Investigation.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/?CFID=1585161&CFTOKEN=18813411
    The replacement broke? How long after you had it?

Are you tail-gating trucks that deliver stones all the time or something? ;)

:D

-juice
  • mterrellmterrell Posts: 21
    Actually Allstate sent a guy to the house and he repaired the first one. If its a small nick or crack they can repair here in Virginia. This one hit in a different place and these windshields are cracking very easy. I may have to replace it this time. Here you have to pay a deductible for windshields. Even the guy who repaired the fist time mention that he is seeing a lot of this with toyota cars and trucks..
    Yeah, in MD it's covered under Comprehensive, mine is a $200 deductible.

-juice
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Lots of people mention that they can not find a RAV4 Limited with leather. Well if your near Long Island NY, I saw one today at Atlantic Toyota. Loaded with everything except DVD and 3rd row. Beige color.

They have about 10 Ravs in stock. I did see a base there with $2900 of aftermarked stuff on it! Included sunroof, leather and heated seats plus a bunch of very expensive trim stuff. After market leather was listed at $1800 and heated seats at $800! After market leather seemed nicer than factory on the Limited.
  • dce33dce33 Posts: 6
    I already replaced my windshield with a new factory one as i posted it in my eary post #3612 and last Friday it got hit by a rock and cracked it again while i am driving beside a truck that is pulling a trailer. The cracked is like the size of a dime so i guess the shop will just repair it this time. I agree with mterrell that there is something wrong with this glass. So beware if you will be replacing your windshield you might want to opt for the non oem one.
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    How mysterious is a crack caused by a rock? Mine got damaged that way too but it isn't bulletproof glass. There are a lot of concrete trucks and trucks hauling earth moving equipment running around the highways these days. The equipment is rarely cleaned off adequately prior to being trucked (a pet peeve) and when the truck hits a bump in the road .. stuff goes flying.

I don't think you can blame the glass for not standing up to a stone. The one that hit my windshield was about the size of a quarter.
    Well in almost 50 years of driving I have had lots of stones bang off my windshields, sometimes with a wicked sound and never had a crack! Small pock marks the size of a pencil eraser head but never a crack. And two cracks in the same car in a week. The probabllity might be one in millions.

As engineers might say, we have a trend here and a very bad one.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    All of this information about easily broken windshields, Evap. canisters being knocked off when driving through puddles, and such is not showing up on discussions of other vehicles. I wonder if Toyota is trying to cut quality to cut costs due to the strong competition from Hyundai and the massive wave of new GM, Ford, and Chrysler products coming in 2007 and 2008?
  • jterrelljterrell Posts: 1
    I am the one that was driving the SUV at the time, and I assure you that I do not tailgate anyone. I was very annoyed when this happened. We just repaired the glass 15 days ago. This crack is bigger and is less than 12 inches from the other one. I think toyota is using inferior glass on these cars. I loved my RAV4 when we first got it but now i'm second and third guessing our decision. I called the dealership and they want me to have their glass technician look at it before I call Toyota. Too freaking late, already called them, and told them that my husband has reported it to the NHTSA or whatever it is.... in 20 years I never filed a comp or collision claim, until now, and two in 15 days. We might as well get friendly with the repair guy, because I think we are going to be putting his kids through college with insurance money. It does not even have 4000 miles on it! :sick:
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    This is a good question. I thought it was our area but it seems now that there are a HUGE number of earthmoving vehicles on the roads recently. Does anyone else note this? There is a lot of construction going on but I must be involved with at least 50 large dump trucks hauling stuff every day.
  • altaredaltared Posts: 12
    Did not have a problem finding a Limited V6 with leather in Canada in early May this year. Spouse bought one with the heated seats, etc. Dealer did say though that they were moving them as fast as they were coming in and that the 2006 inventory coming in was diminishing fast (we did look at the allocation/inventory sheets to find what was all available in Western Canada - and there wasn't very much).
  • altaredaltared Posts: 12
    Yes, quite annoying to have the recirculation tab light up by some auto system when A/C is turned off. Like...duh! I need to find some time to read the manual on whether this is an auto feature or whether there is a way to stop the thing from second guessing what I want when I have A/C off.
  • ptl4ptl4 Posts: 2
    I have been searching alot lately on the wiring harness trying to get ready to tow my tent trailer on vacation. I ordered just the tow prep pkg, then went looking for the pig tail to finish the wiring but couldn't find it. In searching I found out that US spec and Canada spec Rav4s are different. In Canada the wiring ends under the dash. Everyone else was telling me that I would find the end of the "Pre-Wiring" in the back compartment on the drivers side. I looked and looked to no avail, called the service dept, the tech I talked to hadn't run across this yet and had no idea where it might be. He did give me the number for Toyota Customer Service to ask them (1-800-331-4331). This I did and was once again told it is in that back compartment where the jack handle is stored. This time I used a mirror to look up into areas my hand couldn't reach. And I think I found it! I'm off to the dealer today to get the "experts" to verify this. And to buy the final part of the harness to run it to the outside.

Dave
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    It is an automatic function, c-best, and you can have the dealer change from the current factory default to a no-op.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    Are there any rumors if the 2007 RAV4 will keep the same rear door design, or go with a hatch.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    This much is certain. One of the key design characteristics of the RAV is the side opening door. It will remain this way for at least 4 more years. Probably longer. It's the design of the RAV4. The Highlander is a bottom opening hatch vehicle. It's how they are differentiated.
  • eljoeljo Posts: 1
    Stay clear of the Xterra. It made national news several weeks back about being tip-over proned. And it is no wonder, as it is too tall and narrow.
    I though I posted this already. There is no harness to the rear of the 2006. You have to buy...$132 from Toyota and install it from the dash to the rear of the truck. Lots of work but not the end of the world. Lots of panels to remove and replace. There is much info on this around.
    This site is not very userfriendly in posting pictuers etc. But the info is out there. Just google 2006 RAV4 hitch harness etc.
  • jm005jm005 Posts: 1
    I also believe Toyota may have a problem with their windshields.Just picked up my new Rav 4 v-6 Thurs.June 22 Good excuse Sat. for a ride,and breakin period,to my favorite hunting and fishing outfitters store.I also do not follow to close to anyone, especially trucks.Came out to find a 10 to 12 inch long crack in my windshield.It starts in the center ,very bottom,up about 6 to 8 inches and 4 inches toward the drivers side.Nothing hit the windshield at all while I was driving.There are no marks chips dings nothing.I have 170 miles on my Rav, a cracked windshield and can't wait to see what kind of runaround I get.
    I would say there that there are enough reports of this that it is more than just a few random cases. Your situration where it broke without any debris impact is the 2nd one I have seen on the net.
  • bcbob8bcbob8 Posts: 17
    Ouch! Why the cynicism? Toyota has a good rep, do they not? This is the second you've heard of? Out of how many tens of thousands sold? Better recall them all, eh!
  • It's comical that people bash new RAV4 for being too long not realizing that it is actually SHORTER than corolla. RAV4 is 181 inches while corolla is rated as 178. However, the extra 3 inches are coming from the rear tire. If you measure bumper to bumper, RAV4 is shorter! It is more maneuverable than my corolla, or any similar compact car!
    I initially disliked the swinging door design, but now it grows on me and it's kind of cool.
    I guess if one has to have a hatch, highlinder is the answer.