Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• wizzobutterwizzobutter Posts: 72
    I bought my Limited last week and it was the only Limited at that dealership. Just out of curiosity, I checked the inventories at two nearby dealers. The results were 32 base, 22 Sport and one Limited. Is it undersupply or overdemand that is making the Limited so rare at dealerships?
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Posts: 72
    Don't laugh. I now have a very sore neck after driving the V6 for almost 500 miles. No, I haven't even floored it yet. It's just the high torque at low speeds that is getting to me. I took a turn at a stop light and gave it too much gas before straightening out and my neck instantly had a sharp pain in it. I'm now getting used to the throttle from standing starts, but now keep my head against the headrest. What a car!
  • lirlir Posts: 81
    I was asking myself that very same question. I waited a couple months to find the one I bought. No one had them. What I find weirder is that I seldom see them on the road, nor do I see them advertised at all (in my area - central California). I think it is undersupply, and tough cookie for us looking all over for them! :mad:
  • little3little3 Posts: 31
    1.1 quart of oil per 600 miles? You gotta be kidding? This is Toyota quality? I was set to buy a RAV4 but this sort of "expected" and "acceptable" oil use is ridiculous. Get real Toyota. BTW does this same kind of oil consumption issue affect all Toyota models? Well, I quess it's back to looking at Hondas.
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Only about 2.5% of RAV4s built seem to be limited. Same with sport. I keep an eye on the SE region deliveries and it seems 95% are Base and and 85% are 4cyl. Do a build and buy on zip 34423 and you will see what I mean. Lately there seem to be even less Sport or Limited. According to this link, 2006 production ends in 10 weeks or so.

I think we all loose sight of the fact that the RAV4 is basicly a low cost point vehicle and the Sport and Limited are not the meat and potatoes of Toyota production. Just a thought.
    I think your on the wrong track here. I don't know anyone with a Toyota that has any problem with oil consumption. I suspect Toyota is just being cautious in the manual especialy for the break in period. And all cars use a slight amount of oil, even my Audi but certaily not a as much as the Toyota manual mentions
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Ltd's or RAV's in general? Ltd's are very rare but starting to be seen. Total RAV sales are very strong as far as Toyota is concerned. It's up 110+% and they still can't keep them on the lot's.

Through 5-1-06
    2006 - 47798 units
    2005 - 22631 units
  • soopereddsooperedd Posts: 32
    The manual states, as I read it, that 1.1 quarts would be the maximum oil consumption and that is during break-in. If it is more than that you may have a problem. I don't expect mine to burn that much, but I will watch it close.
  • mike1111mike1111 Posts: 93
    Yeah i'm gonna get one at the end of this year but all this burning oil talk is scaren me.Anyone who has bought one let me know if you burn that much oil in 600 miles.Just read the post about break in period so is that where there expecting that much oil to be burnt?
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    Original poster says “it does say that the RAV 4 V6 engine will use about 1.1 qt every 600 miles”

Let’s get the facts straight, first off this is a generic statement for both engines not specific to the 3.5L V6! This exact statement was in my 05’ Camry manual which had the 2.4L and the 3.3L V6; I never burned a drop in 35K miles with the 2.4L engine!

They fail to mention in the previous paragraphs that combustion engines have tolerances and in some cases will burn oil, it applies to simple manufacturing principles, and it’s not a perfect world just because the CAD screen shows a perfect fit, it will apply to all manufacturers. Owners of Honda, BMW, and Acura etc. check your manuals, it’s probably there as well, and for the most part it’s a “CYA” statement in this world of litigation.

As far as the ½ way mark in 350 miles, the question is, was it filled from the factory correctly? Or could the human factor come into play and someone messed up by not filling it correctly and was missed at Pre-Delivery Inspection? Simply not enough data to say the engine is a problem. I had problems with the PDI from my dealer; others have claimed tire pressures well exceeding what the label states in the door panel causing a rougher than normal ride. Most don’t go home and check things out for themselves and rely on the dealer, that’s their first mistake. What people need to be aware of is that some “lot boy” who does PDI’s on say 10 cars a day, could let one through the cracks it’s called the human factor!

One has to use discernment when reading posts here; some are heading to the Honda store due to lack of information! The sky is not falling folks!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,958
    My '99 Nissan manual says that it's "normal to add some oil between maintenance intervals or during the break-in period, depending on the severity of operation conditions."

1.1 qt every 600 miles sounds like a lot to me. Some Isuzu Trooper owners complain of excessive oil consumption, and most of those folks think a quart every 1,000 miles is excessive. (link)

Is the normal service interval still 5,000 miles? Until the Toyota sludge issue a few years ago, I think they had bumped it up to 7,500 miles.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The new RAV4 V6 has the same motor as the Avolon right?I've never seen anything about oil burning in the Avolon so i hope it's not a big deal.Thanks for the info raydahs i'm still gonna ge the RAV but i'll keep an eye and ear out for any probs people on here have with theres
  • lirlir Posts: 81
    "Ltd's or RAV's in general?"

RAV's in general...but the few that I have seen have either been base or sport. I truly believe that Toyoya is selling lots of these, I was just wondering where they're going.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,958
    Lol, I didn't mean to strike a nerve! :shades:

My '89 Voyager occasionally used a bit of oil but never a whole quart between changes. Adding oil every 1,000 miles would drive me crazy, although my buddy with the three leaking seals on his 12 year old F-150 figures it's cheaper to add some oil (and kitty litter to his driveway) every now and then instead of replacing the gaskets.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

What would cause a new motor to burn oil?Well that much oil any way?
    He He....no nerve struck here. I absolutely loved that vehicle, the best I've owned to date, 05' Camry comes in 2nd. It got to the point where I was adding so much oil, I just replaced the filter every 3500 miles!
    Tolerances, if the piston comes in at the low side and the cylinder comes in at the high side you have what they call "least material condition" result being a maximum gap. Then you have to factor in the ring tolerances, valves etc. their are a lot of variables, it gets complicated, but that's it in a nut shell.
    Your loosing it! None of these modern engines use much oil. A quart in 10,000 would be a suprise.
    I was just asken about a earlier post about new rav4 usen 1.1 quart every 600 miles.I'm getten one this year and was scared by what i read i was maken sure.I know they should'nt burn any really but if you read before people were freaken out about it