Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• I hope not! I am banking on the fact that folks are not shelling out (can not afford) $$$$ for already great deals on rebated Vs and Foresters. Surely there will be those who buy at MSRP but if Toyota wants my sale that number will need to come down within 3 months. Also, one selling point that should not be underestimated is the 3rd seat. I bet 99% of the time it will never be used. Still everyone (including my wife) wants one. If the extra seat adds more than $500 or is bundled with other junk that adds more to the price I think folks may still turn to the 'better deals' out there....
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Figure it'll cost about the same $850 that they add for the Highlander's 3rd row.

Still, that's under $27k for a Limited V6 4x4 with 3 rows.

-juice
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The press release indicates 2WD and 4WD, obviously leaving the question of the true meaning of 2WD open to question, FWD or RWD. But since according to the literature the torque split ratio can be rear biased I would guess that in this case 2WD means RWD.

Articulate....? Me?

What aspects?

Otherwise I guess I just read a lot about things that interest me and am able to comprehend a lot of what I read.

I did go out and buy a set of 2005 RX330 shop manuals (already had the 2000 & 2001 versions) to try and figure out this engine/throttle hesitation issue which seems to be transaxle "based".
  • You are very well versed on the subject matter.... If you reread you're post it makes a lot of sense, and it sounds like you know what you're talking about.

articulate! :)

killerpiece :shades:
  • If it's RWD I would be surprised! I crossed my fingers and wished upon the last shooting star I saw that it would be RWD, but given that the Highlander is FWD, and all of Toyota's cars are FWD (except the Tundra and Seqoia), I can't imagine Toyota becoming that smart all of a sudden!

The 4WD, is it a true truck style 4x4 or more of an all wheel drive? That should give us an indication of Toyota's plans for the 4x2. "Truck style" should equal RWD, "all wheel drive" should equal FWD.

"When I wish upon a star, Toyota will make a RWD car....." Let's all hope Jiminy was right! :P

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    If it's not a FW 2WD I'll eat my hat. 'Yota is not that radical. The RAV is the entry level SUV for the budget conscious and first-timers. I think the V6 will be something special to own and drive. Presently however the customers that come in to look at RAV's are frugal to the extreme.

V6??? whateverfor?.. Leather? Not in this lifetime. Do I have to pay for the Pwr Windows and Locks and mats?

IMO the V6 serves as product support for salespeople (!) to bump a cost-conscious midsize SUV buyer down from a V6 Highlander; i.e. instead of negotiating down the price of a Basic 2WD V6 Highlander at $29K 'Can I show you this loaded V6 RAV at $27990? The loaded up V6 RAV takes the place of the 4c Highlander in this regard.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone and does anyone know if the RAV4 and or the FJ Cruiser is being shown at the Orlando Car Show this weekend?
  • Toyota had the new RAV4 at the S. Fla (Miami) show two weeks ago so I would bet its on display in Orlando.
  • Is there any word of a Navigation option? Back up rear camera?
    Has anyone seen Toyota use the term "2WD" to mean front wheel drive? And isn't the use of the term "AWD/4WD" also unusual?

And I wouldn't be at all surprised (and extremely hopeful)to see the upcoming RX350 AWD/4WD version use the RAV4 driveline.
  • jrynnjrynn Posts: 162
    Newbie question: Now that the RAV4 has been stretched and has an optional third-row, what are the distinctions that buyers are supposed to draw as compared to the Highlander?
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    When I was looking at the Sienna & Highlander last year, I noticed the Sienna is labeled AWD and the Highlander is labeled 4WD. The drivetrain is the same though???

Sienna spec: http://www.toyota.com/sienna/specs.html?s_van=GM_TN_SIENNA_SPECS

Highlander spec: http://www.toyota.com/highlander/specs.html?s_van=GM_TN_HIGHLANDER_SPECS

The pics of the new RAV4 engine compartment shows it's transverse mounted. So that should eliminate the RWD speculation.

4 CYL - http://pressroom.toyota.com/Images/View?id=TYT2005110274323

6 CYL - http://pressroom.toyota.com/Images/View?id=TYT2005110245975
  • Good pics....

I would be surprised if this doesn't show that it's going to be FWD(4x2)..... :cry:

(there would be a bunch of swearing at this part of the post, but I would like to remain a member so i'll refrain) :P

• ersenersen Posts: 1
    Hey Brian I am writing this from Texas. I am in need of buying this superb RAv4! The fact is I am gonna move out to Los Angeles next month. So my question is that if this car has been on sale right now since the prices are set on the web page? And what do you think about the price differences, buying this car in LA or in Texas would be more beneficial ? Thanks.
    ersen
    IMO there will be a significant change in the Highlander when they redo it next year.

At present you have ( from memory - it's T'Giving ):

RAV 2WD 4c $21000 range + options
    RAV 4WD 4c $23000 range +
    RAV 2WD V6 $23500 range +
    RAV 4WD V6 $25500 range +
    ICE High 2WD 4c $26000 range +
    ICE High 2WD V6 $28000 range +
    ICE High 4WD V6 $30000 range +
    HSD High 2WD $33000 range +
    HSD High 4WD $35000 range +

The 4c Highlander is a dog frankly. It generates NO excitement. The HSD V6 Highlander IMO is too expensive for Toyota budgets.

Next year when the Highlander moves to the Sienna platform ( ? ) I wouldnt be surprised if they drop the 4c ICE Highlander and the HSD V6 Highlander replacing them with an HSD 4c Highlander and the new V6 ICE Highlander.
    The 'lineup' would look like this:

Leading off and playing 2nd..

RAV 2WD 4c $21000 range + options
    RAV 4WD 4c $23000 range +
    RAV 2WD V6 $23500 range +
    RAV 4WD V6 $25500 range +
    HSD High 2WD 4c $29000 range +
    HSD High 4WD 4c $31000 range +
    ICE High 2WD V6 $28000 range +
    ICE High 4WD V6 $30000 range +
    HSD High 2WD $33000 range +
    HSD High 4WD $35000 range +

OK designated hitter:
    HSD High V6 Limited ~ $43000

Why not give the 2.4L RAV the HSD option in 3 years when it's due for a freshening? It's the same engine as the Camry and Highlander.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    Would any prospective 06' "4 cylinder" RAV4 Buyers be interested in this as an alternative? If so, please post in that forum, so we keep it in line with the appropriate topics...thanks for any input, I'm just curious.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef06292
    Is that a bid to fool John Q Public into thinking he isn't buying a FWD that can be dangerous in adverse roadbed conditions?

Otherwise if it's FWD why not say so?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    This model is gonna take a big hit until the new one arrives. Especially with RAV4 pricing so much lower. I bet that besides the hybrid model, the rest will sit in lots while the RAV4 gets wait lists.

They'd better hurry up with the redesign on the HL.

-juice
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    The price plummet will be good for Highlander buyers who are looking for a deal.
    The Highlander is in its lame duck year anyway. What I'm really surprised about is that Toyota is building a new RAV line in Canada to produce 100000 units a year !!!!!

WOW. There is something in the works if they plan that many vehicles. That's at least 50% more than they are doing now.

To me it seems a natural when the HSD Camry debuts in the spring to then convert the 4c RAV and the new 4c Highlander to hybrid-only if the cost is low enough.
    Just Do It. All 4c SUV's are hybrids. Drop the V6 hybrid and leave it for the Rx400h.

Both vehicles would likely be 31-32 mpg combined but with 225 hp.
  • Another way to look at the RAV4 is this: Toyota is basically lowered the price of the Highlander by $4-5k by introducing the new RAV4 without having to resort to price cuts on the old Highlander. Hence the need for a plant in Canada to build more RAV4s.

They will definitely have to discount the old Highlander for the year (and lower production I would presume). However, when the new Highlander bows, Toyota will keep the MSRP close to the old one and offer a Pilot-sized vehicle (if not bigger) for the price of the old V-6 Highlander ($28-35k).

Any way you slice it, the new RAV4 is a great deal for the consumer. The idea of a 269 hp, AWD, (dare I call midsize) SUV with very respectable gas mileage (20/27) for $26k is impressive.

I just wish that rear door was a more traditional design. Guess it wouldn't be a RAV4 then....
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Buyers who are deterred by the untraditional rear door design should check out the (now) value priced Highlander with a traditional rear door.
  • I think this vehicle is great. It shows Rav4 is not as efficient as they say. Nissan has a very good product. Too bad I cannot test drive one.
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    No navigation or back-up camera will be available. They do have the DVD rear entertainment system though.

The third-row seat will vary from $700 to $950 depending on model and trim level.
  • Thanks for the info - disappointing news especially when you consider that several economy cars like the Civic and Prius offer it as an option. Maybe it'll become available in '07.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Chill. I'm pretty sure you'll see NAV in the RAV4 after the Highlander redesign- the model needs to be SOMEWHAT unique.

~alpha
  • Hey, Toyota is offering a high-powered V6, a leather interior and other options found on "entry level" luxury vehicles. The lack of a Nav option is just plain strange, considering that this is a very easy and profitable add-on for Toyota, and this is 2006, not 1999. Not a deal-killer for me necessarily, but it will for many others if you believe what they post in these forums.
  • Motorweek on PBS just stated that they will test the new RAV4 next Sunday, December 4th..
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    I'm eager to see how the vehicle handles off their cones. The prevous generations of RAV4 were widely praised as nimble handlers. With the big size increase, I don't think they'll retain that specific character. But I'd love to be surprised.