Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    The sport has stiffer springs and shocks and the interior is almost all grey besides the seats. Also no 3rd row seat option. I have driven one and the ride is firmer for sure but not rough and noisy.
    Lots of comments here about the cloth being rough but I did not feel that in the two short drives I took in the Sport and a Base. I am not sure about cloth armrests though, could be a nuisance in hot weather. Actually I wish the Sport had leather as an option. One dealer told me they could arrange for custom leather installed in a Sport for $1300 which is not too much more expensive than factory leather in Limited.
    Waiting to drive a V6 Sport in a month or two I hope!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    the RAV is by default FWD and the IS is not?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    I wonder if the trend towards cramming third rows into smaller vehicles is partially driven by the expectation of high gas prices? In Europe and Asia, where gas is really expensive, they have smallish vans and SUVs with like 8 or 9 little seats packed in. Basically you buy one of those instead of, say, a GMC Yukon XL, which would seem outlandishly huge in those countries.

I can't think of any other reason why a third-row seat in a vehicle as small as a RAV4 would be appealing. I mean, the 7-pass Highlander is not a huge vehicle, and you can pick up a basic 4-cyl for around $25K or less.

-Andrew L
    know that if they cram a third row into RAV, it will give them all the excuse they need to jack the price up substantially.

• Anyone have any legitimate pictures? I saw some on Autoweek but they turned out to be a photoshop of some european Chevrolet suv called S3x made by Daewoo. From what I know it will be able to be ordered in July 05 and be able to take delivery in August 05. RAV4 name will stay as some people have mentioned in other sites and from toyota.

We might see a RAV6, though maybe?

I just got back test driving a 2005... and couldn't be more uncomfortable sitting in the back seat. Anyone who has decent size legs couldn't sit there for more than 20mins I would think. So for them to lengthen it out and put a 3rd row is quite scary considering the 2nd row could use about 3inches of more legroom :surprise:
    the '4' in RAV's name was originally for 4WD. So unless it has 6WD after Aug 05, it probably won't change to the RAV6.

• the 2006 Rav is supposed to have the Avalon 3.5l 280hp enigne in it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    No, I dont think it is. That would make just about no sense at all.

~alpha
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    How about a Navigation System, real rear bumper, spare off of the rear door, and a liftgate instead of the current awkward side swing gate. (The CR-V has this too- I hate it- you can't get stuff in or out of the car if you're parked in a parallel spot)

I'm still wondering if Lexus would get one.. Although I highly doubt it.. It'd be interesting to see Lexus get a version of the next RAV4.
    It has been stated that the last new Lexus sharing a Toyota platform (in the US) would be the next generation ES, which debuts this time next year. What this means for the RX, I dont know, but those are the only two with a shared Toyota platform. So, I dont think we will see a Lexus version of the RAV4.

~alpha
    well, I believe that announcement only applies to Lexus CARS, doesn't it? If not, they will sure have their work cut out for them coming up with three Lexus trucks from scratch in time for their next model revisions.

It would be interesting to see a RAV with the Lexus treatment. Acura will have the RDV next year, after all. Toyota rarely misses a move by Nissan or Honda.

jchan - you said it! My number one wish for the next RAV would be spare OFF the rear door and stowed underneath where it should have been all along. And give it a real rear bumper in the process.

The Avalon's 3.5 would be way too much engine for the RAV. Both in output and in price/cost. If RAV gets heavier for the next gen, I could see maybe using the Camry's 3.3, detuned a little from the current SE's output. But what about the 2.5 from the new IS? Now there's an exciting thought. That is a little V-6 with a noticeable power bump over the RAV's 4-cyl. And designed for RWD - just imagine how the RAV would change in character. :-)

Plus BMW has the X3. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Lexus RAV4. Wonder what they might call it.
  • mam262mam262 Posts: 37
    With the 2006 RAV getting closer to release, do we not have any pictures or details of it yet?
    I haven't heard a peep - probably means changes will be minor and evolutionary, not dramatic. Although you would think the first-ever availability of a V-6 in RAV would be considered significant. Maybe it's not really going to happen.

• milom1milom1 Posts: 2
    Third seat?. What the Rav4 needs is more front leg room. I have one, 2004 and, I am sorry I bought it. I am 6'4" and no room for my legs.
    Why they do not think of more comfort to the driver in general. We should be able to move the front seat backward more!.
    I disagree. Toyota redesigns rarely occur with fanfare. Even spy pics of the massively overhauled 05 Avalon were unavailable up until about 3 weeks prior to intro. And historically, Toyota mentions nothing about redesigned Corollas and Camrys, neither of which has even DEBUTED at any auto show.

~alpha
    by contrast, we knew about the upcoming third row in the Highlander many months before it came, there was a great deal of web information available ages ahead on the Sienna revision, even the current 4Runner had detailed information leading the launch by a good six months IIRC. Remember the launch of the 2000 Celica?

So Toyota sometimes tells us a ways ahead, sometimes it doesn't but there is lots of information leaked, and sometimes it maintains strict radio silence. The '06 RAV appears to be in this last category! :-P

I am convinced it will not have a third row. While the addition of an optional V-6 to the line would seem logical to us folks out here in the world, I am not so sure Toyota would think the same way. The FJ is coming soon after and will have a V-6 only, and will be not much bigger than a RAV. The RAV is meant to be mostly a car, and is still light compared to most of its competitors.

So my thinking is third row, no; optional V-6, 50/50; wheelbase stretch to provide more rear seat room, a dead certainty; spare tire moved under the rear end, let's hope so. We will probably see some of the other popular doohickeys for 'L' models too, so as to justify a price increase. Heated outside mirrors, auto up/down on all windows, power seats, that sort of thing. And is A/C still optional on the base model? If so, I bet that becomes standard on the '06.

• mam262mam262 Posts: 37
    Do we know when the new RAV4 will go on sale?
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    According to info on another site:
    4 cyl Nov 16, 2005
    V6 Jan 20, 2006
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    I approve of a V6 (I mean, the Escape has one). It's pretty important for Toyota to wedge themselves in to the small SUV market as gas prices go up.
  • I saw the new Rav4 a few days ago. Although it was under black camouflage, it appears to be bigger than the current version but smaller than the Highlander. I would say it is about the length/size of the Saturn Vue with the spare on the outside. It also appears to be boxier.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    Where did you see it?
    I don't doubt you, as I saw some Tribecas around Lafayette a while back. Where'd you see them? Usually Toyota is pretty secretive to say the least. Smaller than a Highlander, eh? Was the spare on the back?
  • ravmanravman Posts: 1
    4 cyl Nov 16, 2005
    V6 Jan 20, 2006

Just for clarification... these dates are when the 2006 RAV4 first arrives at the US ports. Not when it goes on sale at dealerships.
  • Saw it around Toyota HQ in Torrance California and the spare is on the back.
    Aw....I was hoping for one in the normal position, but oh well.
    why it is so darn popular for the spare to swing on the tailgate on these cute utes. I used to think it was so the manufacturers could maximize interior space for the numbers race, but people really seem to like the look too.

I only had to see those IIHS test videos once, where they back into an object at low speeds and that rear-mounted spare crumples the whole back end of the car, to dislike this design.

Toyota (and Honda, to an extent) like to keep everything secret until the absolute last minute

Over on the Sienna and Odyssey boards, we saw some pictures and heard some details, but the original Sienna pictures were waaaaay off and the details on the Odyssey came from a person claiming to be a Honda insider. (that is, he said he works for Honda)
    A picture of a new RAV4-sized Lexus SUV to go head-to-head against the X3. The car debuts in the Spring of 2007. Complete with a picture (in teal-color), the car looks like a smaller-sized HPX concept. Looks realllyyyy good (Len, you will like it).... Double yum !!

That's news from the 2007 Lexus LS board....

Guess I was right about a Lexus RAV4...
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Is my dream...RAV4 hybrid using the 2.3L I4.