Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• c14c14 Posts: 6
    I wonder how the 2.4 will handle the bigger 2006 RAV 4.
  • I wish people would stop this third row nonsense regarding every car. People... that's what minivans and Suburbans are for!
    Would you want anyone to be squeezed up against a tailgate?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    well, they will have the HL's V-6 as an option for the next RAV, which bodes ill for holding the size in check for the next gen. But the 2.4 is pretty peppy in the current car, so if they can just hold the weight increase to 100 pounds or so, it should be fine.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Motor Trend recently timed the 2005 RAV4 5M to 60 in just 7.8 seconds...

~alpha
  • I agree with you there. Currently, no compact SUV even offers a third row seat. That's what the midsize SUV's are suposed to offer. Offering a third row seat means a considerable increase in length, meaning the RAV4 will be the size of the Toyota Highlander or 4Runner. Then it will eat the sales of these vehicles. No, simply put it is foolish for any automotive manufacturer to try to stuff a third row in a compact SUV. It would be incredibly cramped, and then you're probably better off with a shorter vehicle with two rows than a longer vehicle with an uncomfortable third row. Full Size SUVs and minivans have uncomfortable third rows, imagine how bad it would be in a COMPACT SUV. A third row means more work for the engine, because of the additional weight.

Forget about a third row seat in the new RAV4, or for that matter in any compact SUV. people, it's not going to happen. If you want a third row seat in a Toyota, buy a 4Runner or a Sequoia or a Highlander or the Land CRuiser.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    With the 2006 RAV4 due to start rolling off the assembly lines before the end of the year (ie in about 6 months), don't you think we should have some concrete pics by now? Or is Toyota getting as secretive as Honda about certain new models? After all, we already know pretty much what the FJ Cruiser is going to look like.
    I wouldn't mind seeing pics either. So far I haven't heard a whisper about the new model, at least not firsthand.

• wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    If they do put in a 3rd row as is rumoured, let's hope we get a real rear bumper and that the spare comes off the door......
    That's my chant and I am sticking to it!

I would love to see the spare come off the rear door though.

• normalcnormalc Posts: 1
    I think Toyota may use the new small V6 that has been just introduced for the 2006 Lexus IS. This would be a great engine for the new Rav.
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    The sport has stiffer springs and shocks and the interior is almost all grey besides the seats. Also no 3rd row seat option. I have driven one and the ride is firmer for sure but not rough and noisy.
    Lots of comments here about the cloth being rough but I did not feel that in the two short drives I took in the Sport and a Base. I am not sure about cloth armrests though, could be a nuisance in hot weather. Actually I wish the Sport had leather as an option. One dealer told me they could arrange for custom leather installed in a Sport for $1300 which is not too much more expensive than factory leather in Limited.
    Waiting to drive a V6 Sport in a month or two I hope!
    the RAV is by default FWD and the IS is not?

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    I wonder if the trend towards cramming third rows into smaller vehicles is partially driven by the expectation of high gas prices? In Europe and Asia, where gas is really expensive, they have smallish vans and SUVs with like 8 or 9 little seats packed in. Basically you buy one of those instead of, say, a GMC Yukon XL, which would seem outlandishly huge in those countries.

I can't think of any other reason why a third-row seat in a vehicle as small as a RAV4 would be appealing. I mean, the 7-pass Highlander is not a huge vehicle, and you can pick up a basic 4-cyl for around $25K or less.

-Andrew L
    know that if they cram a third row into RAV, it will give them all the excuse they need to jack the price up substantially.

• Anyone have any legitimate pictures? I saw some on Autoweek but they turned out to be a photoshop of some european Chevrolet suv called S3x made by Daewoo. From what I know it will be able to be ordered in July 05 and be able to take delivery in August 05. RAV4 name will stay as some people have mentioned in other sites and from toyota.

We might see a RAV6, though maybe?

I just got back test driving a 2005... and couldn't be more uncomfortable sitting in the back seat. Anyone who has decent size legs couldn't sit there for more than 20mins I would think. So for them to lengthen it out and put a 3rd row is quite scary considering the 2nd row could use about 3inches of more legroom :surprise:
    the '4' in RAV's name was originally for 4WD. So unless it has 6WD after Aug 05, it probably won't change to the RAV6.

• the 2006 Rav is supposed to have the Avalon 3.5l 280hp enigne in it.
    No, I dont think it is. That would make just about no sense at all.

~alpha
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    How about a Navigation System, real rear bumper, spare off of the rear door, and a liftgate instead of the current awkward side swing gate. (The CR-V has this too- I hate it- you can't get stuff in or out of the car if you're parked in a parallel spot)

I'm still wondering if Lexus would get one.. Although I highly doubt it.. It'd be interesting to see Lexus get a version of the next RAV4.
    It has been stated that the last new Lexus sharing a Toyota platform (in the US) would be the next generation ES, which debuts this time next year. What this means for the RX, I dont know, but those are the only two with a shared Toyota platform. So, I dont think we will see a Lexus version of the RAV4.

~alpha