Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The Highlander is in its lame duck year anyway. What I'm really surprised about is that Toyota is building a new RAV line in Canada to produce 100000 units a year !!!!!

WOW. There is something in the works if they plan that many vehicles. That's at least 50% more than they are doing now.

To me it seems a natural when the HSD Camry debuts in the spring to then convert the 4c RAV and the new 4c Highlander to hybrid-only if the cost is low enough.
    Just Do It. All 4c SUV's are hybrids. Drop the V6 hybrid and leave it for the Rx400h.

Both vehicles would likely be 31-32 mpg combined but with 225 hp.
  • Another way to look at the RAV4 is this: Toyota is basically lowered the price of the Highlander by $4-5k by introducing the new RAV4 without having to resort to price cuts on the old Highlander. Hence the need for a plant in Canada to build more RAV4s.

They will definitely have to discount the old Highlander for the year (and lower production I would presume). However, when the new Highlander bows, Toyota will keep the MSRP close to the old one and offer a Pilot-sized vehicle (if not bigger) for the price of the old V-6 Highlander ($28-35k).

Any way you slice it, the new RAV4 is a great deal for the consumer. The idea of a 269 hp, AWD, (dare I call midsize) SUV with very respectable gas mileage (20/27) for $26k is impressive.

I just wish that rear door was a more traditional design. Guess it wouldn't be a RAV4 then....
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Buyers who are deterred by the untraditional rear door design should check out the (now) value priced Highlander with a traditional rear door.
  • I think this vehicle is great. It shows Rav4 is not as efficient as they say. Nissan has a very good product. Too bad I cannot test drive one.
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    No navigation or back-up camera will be available. They do have the DVD rear entertainment system though.

The third-row seat will vary from $700 to $950 depending on model and trim level.
  • Thanks for the info - disappointing news especially when you consider that several economy cars like the Civic and Prius offer it as an option. Maybe it'll become available in '07.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Chill. I'm pretty sure you'll see NAV in the RAV4 after the Highlander redesign- the model needs to be SOMEWHAT unique.

~alpha
  • Hey, Toyota is offering a high-powered V6, a leather interior and other options found on "entry level" luxury vehicles. The lack of a Nav option is just plain strange, considering that this is a very easy and profitable add-on for Toyota, and this is 2006, not 1999. Not a deal-killer for me necessarily, but it will for many others if you believe what they post in these forums.
  • Motorweek on PBS just stated that they will test the new RAV4 next Sunday, December 4th..
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    I'm eager to see how the vehicle handles off their cones. The prevous generations of RAV4 were widely praised as nimble handlers. With the big size increase, I don't think they'll retain that specific character. But I'd love to be surprised.
    It goes back to the marketing demographic that the RAV appeals to a more frugal buyer not a semi-luxury buyer. IMO the V6 RAV will be only 20% max of the total sales volume. Heck 49/50 Highlander buyers I see dont have any interest in the NAV on the Highlander and they are ready to pay upwards of $33K.

The present RAV buyer's alternate choices often are an LE Camry or Sonata at ~$21K or less. V6?.. leather?.. NAV?.. why on earth etc. One buyer in 5 years asked me for a Camry with NAV and she was the first buyer back in 2002. Noone since then.

The NAV buyer is relatively well off, technologically savvy and often a frequent traveller. This is not generally the RAV/Camry buyer.

The new V6 RAV with mega features is IMO directed to the Highlander shopper who wants to get more value for their $28K.
  • Appreciate what you're saying, but I've also been following the new Civic threads, and the Nav is attracting a lot of attention (and buyers) on those forums. Strange but true.

I think in offering the V6 option with ~270 HP on the RAV, Toyota will be attracting attention from a different type of buyer - not just young females looking for a "cute" (and cheap) SUV.
    I think in offering the V6 option with ~270 HP on the RAV, Toyota will be attracting attention from a different type of buyer

I agree wholeheartedly that this new RAV might start to be a mainstream vehicle instead of just a 'cute ute'. Ergo there is a new plant going up in Canada to make upwards of 100K units annually. Presently they only sell abt 70K units annully. 'Yota doesnt usually make moves like this unless they know the vehicle will be in demand by the market. I'm guessing that Navi and other upscale options may be offered in the future as annual enhansements as demand warrants.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    The new RAV 4-cyl AWD, coming in at 3444 pounds, will have about the same power-to-weight ratio as the pre-2004 RAV, which had 148 hp/142 lb-ft and weighed about 10% less than the '06 (and also had about 10% less power than the '06 will have), with the same 4-speed auto.

As I recall, the old RAV with the 2.0 strained a bit, especially on the highway in passing and on grades. So I do think the 4-cyl will be slightly outmatched once again now with the weight increase of the supersized '06 RAV. The FWD should be OK though. Those wanting AWD might want to think more seriously about that V-6, especially with a paltry two points difference between them in fuel economy (was that really the best you could do, Toyota, or are you really hoping to sell more than the expected 20% of the mix as V-6s?)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Mazda also comes with a 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

I would bet that within 10 years all cars will have navi as standard equipment.

Happy Holiday everyone.
    However, its not the exact same 4sp auto- has it not received revised gearing?

Also, the power and torque numbers you are comparing are apples and oranges- the 01-03 figures are non SAE certified (meaning, they are likely inflated) and the 06 numbers ARE SAE certified. The 2.4L also has a much broader torque spread as compared to the 2.0L, more so now thanks to VVTi on both intake and exhaust sides.

In my opinion, despite the weight gain, I dont think the new RAV4 4 cyl AWD will be as slow as the 01-03 model, nor do I think it will quite match the departing model (note that that vehicle likely produced about 154 horses and 160 foot pounds, based on the 06 Camry's rerated 2.4L numbers).

~alpha
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    I would guess that the 4-spd. auto will be retired very shortly. I wouldn't be surprised if the '07 went with the 5-spd.

By the way, the 2.4 is still single VVT-i.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Can't wait to hear what they have to say. My TiVo is already programmed to record it. :)

Does the swinging door still open to the curb side, to block you from loading groceries? They didn't have enough time to fix this? :confuse:

NAV - portable units are fine. Try a Garmin c320, we love ours.

Toyota will fix this. One survey said about half of shoppers are considering NAV for their next car, so in a few years NAV will be mainstream, just like air conditioning or power mirrors.

To be honest, I never use power mirrors. Yet I use NAV all the time.

-juice
    The 2.4L is still single VVTi? Really? How'd they manage the hp bump then?

~alpha
    I think that with the 2.4L and the added weight you noted leads perfectly into a Hybrid addition if the price differential is not too great to price out the bulk of the entry-level buyers. 2 yrs hence?