Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    We picked up a new RAV4 over the weekend from Fitzgerald Toyota in Gaithersburg, MD, for about $1300 below sticker. It was a pretty much fully loaded LTD, including leather, heated seats, moonroof, 4WD, side curtain bags, and DRL (MSRP around $27.9k).

I think the car is great; A world of difference from the '05 model. Much larger and more refined. True, not as isolated and hushed as the Highlander, but that's not necessarily bad; it handles and maneuvers better, yet is still very comfortable. The power is certainly acceptable from the 4-banger (my last car was an Infiniti G35 6-sp). I find the styling and interior environment more pleasing and refined than the CRV.

All the storage space is great (especially with the thoughtful hidden compartment, the moveable cargo net, the tonneau cover, and the grocery bag hooks). I was able to easily move a 3x5 wallboard and some 8-foot long crown moldings yesterday.

About my only complaint is that Toyota doesn't include floormats; it's an annoying way to save a few bucks. Also, I encountered an annoying hiss with the AUX audio input using a MyFi XM satellite receiver (when using DC power), but solved it easily using a Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator connetor.

Looking forward to the next snowfall to see how the 4WD handles...
  • edgoredgor Posts: 31
    Thanks for the report, we are going to try a Tucson too as a lower cost alternative to the rav. We looked it it awhile back but never drove it because the Santa Fe was larger (also we found out that the Tucson Limited does have auto temperature control). We drove the Santa Fe and were not impressed with its ride at all, so it was crossed off the list, and then we sort of forgot about the Tucson. Note that the Tucson is almost a foot shorter in length than the new RAV4, and you are giving up something like 8cf of cargo room. Still, it's also at least $5000 cheaper in this area to get a limited Tucson than a limited RAV, even if they discount the RAV, so we are going to try it out. Tucson gets excellent reviews, better than the Santa Fe.
  • Amazing! How in the world did you negotiate that price - what's your secret? The conventional wisdom around here is that no one will sell the car below sticker because of short supply and high demand.
    Keep us posted on how you like it.
    RS in Boston
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Most people have trade-ins and the dealers make up "lost" money there playing around with numbers in the trade along with dealer add-ons, financing mark-ups etc..
    So, prices paid quotes are pretty meaningless when all details are not provided.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Actually, you may be surprised to hear that Fitz is a no-haggle dealer. Their prices even include freight. There's a $99 processing fee, but that's it.

We've bought several cars from them, not just me, my dad, my sister, my brother. The price is the real deal.

$26.6k, then, seems pretty reasonable. Even if a V6 adds a couple grand, $28.6k loaded up like that is not bad. I think if you can stay under the $30k psychological barrier, you'll be better off.

-juice
    Tucson is a bit smaller, the upcoming Santa Fe should be about the same size as the RAV4. Sportage is a clone of the Tucson. I drove the later, with a 2.7l V6, and liked it OK, just not very exciting. Competent for sure, though.

The Scion xB has amazing passenger room, but no cargo room. If you have 2 kids in the car, where are you gonna put the stroller, port-a-crib, back pack, diaper bag, toys, and never mind your luggage. You'd need a roof top carrier, at least.

-juice
    The current Santa Fe is about the same size as the 2006 Rav. I've heard that the new Santa Fe will be significantly larger than the current model.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Ya know with the shuttle from Boston to DC it might be worth the trip to Fitzmall to investigate. Fitzmall is on the web and all their vehicles are discounted. Except the Prius. AFAIK.
    They sell the Prius for MSRP as their "value price", but that includes 6 free oil changes and a few other little extras.

Their internet price is below MSRP even for the Prius.

-juice
  • flyingnflyingn Posts: 213
    we are picking up our new Rav 4 this afternoon! Its a barcolona red/taupe Limited without leather.. Has the sunroof, side bags, drl's, JVC stereo.. I like the 4 cylinder too. Perfect for a SUV & great mileage.. The 6 will never be close to it no matter whats it rated at:)

If I wanan go fast I drive my 87 Grand National:)
    Frank
  • snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    ateixeira is correct; Fitz has 'no-haggle' prices. It may not be the rock-bottom lowest prices on all models, but it certainly works well for new, limited-supply models. Their online inventory listed my car a couple of weeks ago, so I put in a refundable deposit to secure it, and paid their asking price when it showed up over the weekend. No trade-in was involved, and the transaction was straightforward.
    Similar to ours .. Prius at MSRP but all new vehicles have oil/filters/inspections free for life, plus engine guaranteed for life.

LOL.. I am going to get my money's worth on my Prius. I put on 5000 miles every 6 weeks!
  • You know, that's not a bad idea. Thanks.
    rs
    Holy cow, do you ever park?

-juice
    ;) Can you imagine I've done this for 20+ years in two different lines of work and it's mainly just the commute. 25000 miles a year is a weak year.

A couple of Prius clients drive as much or more and they dont park. Their vehicle is their office.
  • TMV for an 06 RAV, 4 cylinder, 4WD, auto, 3rd row seat, styled wheels (not sure what that is)& roof rack is $22.6!!!!!!!!!!! Unless the 4cyl is a dog that seams pretty good. My question is: where can I get one! Seriously, I'd expect that to be the going rate (midway between invoice and MSRP) but not this soon. Where does Edmunds get its price from?

I wonder if the 4cylinder is a dog.....anyone drive one...
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Automatic is standard equipment and I wonder if you ever would find one on a lot with the only options being the 3rd row seat and roof rack?
    Why don't you test drive one? Adequate power is highly subjective in comparison to what and how you are used to driving.
  • My wife wanted something new. We were just about to pull the trigger on a CR-V, but she saw the Rav4 as they were unloaded from the truck...she fell in love and declared the RAV "cute"...so she bought it.
    The little truck seems very grown up and offers a great level of equipment. No convincing the dealer on invoice+/MSRP-...good luck!

I am surprised at how quick the 4 cyl engine performs! I guess the not so little RAV is 'cute' :blush: :)
    Check back a few pages, I drove a 4cyl and reviewed it.
    For those of you who have seen a cloth Limited, did you get a chance to check a base model and see if the cloth was any different in base vs. limited? I hated the cloth in the Base model, just wondering if it's the same cloth in the limited. I have heard varying things, would love to hear something definitive.