Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The west coast ( shipping proximity ) always gets the Japanese-made vehicles first. We still dont have any V6's in our recent allocation ( today ) Fitzmall is in our region. Maybe they grabbed them all.. ;)
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Yes, that plant is at least a year away so 5500-10,000/mo is number for 2006! So that is very few cars each month per dealer as I guessed.
  • abbiemabbiem Posts: 11
    I am in Westchester
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,881
    This is on the home page as a Featured Video ... not sure if there's anything new but if you've missed it:

Full Test: 2006 Toyota RAV4 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Does anyone know if the sunroof leaks?

My wife was interested in getting a vehicle with a sunroof, but after talking to her brother it seems like it's a problem waiting to happen. Do the seals eventually leak? Are clogged up drain tubes an issue for every owner of a vehicle with a sunroof?

I would love to hear from owners of old or new Rav4's with a sunroof.

Thanks,
    pogs
  • Went to a section of highway yesterday (about 20 miles from here) where there's a steep uphill climb that is nearly 2 miles long.
    I wanted to actually see how this 4 cyl. does, since it's the first one I've ever bought. I was amazed by this thing! It easily maintained a speed of 77 mph with the pedal less than half way down & without the transmission down shifting once! So, I guess with the V6 you could probably do up over 80 mph :confuse:
    Two cars, 10 years, each with sunroof. Not one problem. I am not sure how really needed they are. They let you get hot air out of the car fast when you get in on a hot sunny day. They let light into the car. But they also seem to be noisy at over 40 so not used too much.
    77 MPH should be good enough I think!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Actually, it's probably easier for it to climb hills at higher speeds, because the means the RPMs are up high where the engine makes more torque.

In other words, if you climb the hill at 77mph at about 4000rpm, it might have an easier time than it you were going 2600rpm at 50mph.

The engine makes a lot more torque at 4000rpm than it would at 2600rpm.

-juice
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    To be quite direct. This is a 1960's issue.

Since my first Camry in 1989 and Chryslers and GM's and several thousand vehicles in our inventory over 6 years, I personally have never even heard of a leaking sunroof... even once... on any make or model.

I do get this question sometimes from older buyers who have never seen the need for one ( which is a fine and good reason not to get one ). But risk of leaking... NO!
  • I see what you mean. The rpm was just around 3300 or so.
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    "Since my first Camry in 1989 and Chryslers and GM's and several thousand vehicles in our inventory over 6 years, I personally have never even heard of a leaking sunroof... even once... on any make or model."

Like KDH I have never had a bit of water come through the sunroof of our 94 Civic and we have owned it since new (12 years) and it has spent its entire life outside getting sandblasted, baked and pelted by the big weather in OK. My garaged 92 MR2 has the infamous T-Tops, but I have never had any leaks from any of the seals on those either, although I am happy to keep it out of harms way.

My biggest complaint about sun/moon roofs is the added expense and loss of headroom, particularly if you are tall and/or rarely use it. Our Rav4 doesn't have one and I never miss it, but others will feel differently.

Gogiboy
    Cool, so then by my math, at 50mph it would be at just 2143rpm (the engine would downshift for a hill).

Peak torque comes up at 4700rpm, and I bet if we can find a torque curve it's a steep slope climbing up to that point.

-juice
  • Picked up my new RAV4 on Tuesday and after 3 Dodge Caravans (yes, I know, I'm stupid!), I am totally in love with this car! There is nothing I don't like about it. The controls are very intuitive; the ride and driveability are tops. For my dog-hauling lifestyle it is perfect. Yes, it's the ultimate "cute ute", yet my 6'3" husband fits in just fine.

I really like the red, too!

- Jo Ann
    Plus they're probably cheaper.

Congrats on the new RAV4.

-juice
  • flyingnflyingn Posts: 213
    congrats Joann!!!!!! What color and trim level???

Frank
    I have been keeping an eye on the www.fitzmall.com site for a month or so as they have RAV4 at good prices. They have two places with the best price place chargeing $670 over invoice and the other, Chambersburgh, asking about $400 more than that. When I asked about this they said things were less competitive in the Chambersburgh PA area. So just now I see that Chambersburgh prices on Sport have dropped to $600 over invoide. They have several sports that have been listed for 2-3 weeks. They show 29 RAVs in or coming in.

So maybe the demand situation for RAV$ is easing up. Wishful thinking here maybe. I consider $600 over invoice a reasonable price for a new model.
    Good thinking Juice.
    Hello did you ever get your V6 from Fitzmall or is it coming in or what? They had 2 listed as coming in but then after a few days they were gone.
    Jim D
    I had seen more like 2800 RPM when I drove sport at 70. So 3300 seems high at 77 unless it had shifted to 3rd.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Or unless you're going up a hill.
    well 77 mpg at x rpm in 4 th gear on level ground is 77 mph at x rpm on a hill too unless the transmission shifts down or something is slipping.

What am I missing?
  • Not yet. I called today and they said it is supposed to be in the port 2/8 and at the dealership on the 13th.
  • Made a trip to Twin City Toyota (Festus/Crystal City, Mo.) this afternoon. Looked at an 06 Limited and an 05 Base. Size difference is apparent. Question: looking at the brochure I picked up, it would seem that unlike Honda's AWD the Toyota's drive system does not automatically shift power to the rear wheels if the front wheels lose traction if the car is doing more than 25 MPH. Is this correct? If not, then what is the Electronic On-Demand 4WD? Thanks.
    When did you place your order? At Fitzmall right?
    It was my understanding that it put up to 45% of power to rear wheels when needed .
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Congratulations! Be sure to visit Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience. :)

tidester, host
  • Jim,
    I know on a level stretch of highway I had 2600 at 70 mph.
    On that hill I noticed the rpm were slightly higher to maintain that 70 mph.
    Nudging slightly closer to 3000.
    So, I slowly pressed the gas just a bit more to get up over 75mph (still staying in high gear).
    I guess the rpm can increase somewhat before the transmission downshifts.
    Welll it sounds like the I4 is pretty good.
  • When the torque converter unlocks, the RPM's rise (from 2600 or so to around 3000). A downshift from 4th to 3rd gear would result in a much higher rise in RPM at 77 mph.