Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• I have been following this discussion for over 2 months and am very excited about this new model. However, no one has mentioned the 2nd seat area. Last week, I opened the back door and sat in a RAV4 and was very unhappy with how uncomfortable it was...even my wife agreed. The seat back is very straight up. I can't imagine anyone being comfortable back there for a long trip. This could be a deal killer for me. Anyone have similar experience?
  • johan1johan1 Posts: 21
    I went to the Toyota dealer in Irvine, Southern California yesterday. They had 4 or 5 4-Cylinders but only 1 base model v-6 in the dealership. I was lucky to be given a chance to try the v-6. Indeed like what the other posts here said, it shoots out whenever you pressed the pedal even slightly. However, from still to motion, the noise is quite a bit obvious from right front direction into the cabin with even a very modest touch of the gas pedal. Another thing I found is that the pillow for the second row seemed not fastened at any wanted position when you adjusted it. Not that convenient, neh :confuse: ? BTW, for the price it is sticker price only. At least this is more decent than what the guys in Toyota Wonderies in Alhambra said: window price plus $5000. :sick:
  • I sat in the second seat and also thought it was a little too upright, but it has the ability to lay back farther than a typical second seat. There is a lever or something on the side.
  • I don't know how comfortable the seat is, but the seatback is adjustable (3 positions, I think).
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    My own personal opinion on my own vehicles. I never take any of them. I do acknowledge the the VSA's ( extended warranties ) do offer another level of protection against catastrophic losses but I personally am a risk taker and I can live with the risk of a Toyota going bad and having to pay to fix it myself. Although one 'loss' might wipe out all the 'self insurance' I've done. This is a very personal question for each buyer.

'Environmental packages'... I don't personally believe in undercoating, others demand it; Paint protection? this seems to offer a real level of cosmetic enhancement ( however I never wash my vehicles I just drive them into dust then trade them in for a couple of thousand dollars ); Fabric protection? If my family was still young this is another that I would go for. By myself never.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    All they were doing in Alhambra is putting an addendum on the window to ensure that the vehicle would not be sold. They want to keep it there for the time being in order that the most people possible buy it.

Now if someone demands this vehicle today..and is willing to pay the $5000 extra.. oh well, it's a free country.
  • I have a copy of a Product reference sheet that shows the rear seat to be adjustable. When I sat in the back seat of the Sport model I test drove, I was mostly concerned about leg room and found that there was more than our current car, the Subaru Forester.
  • prash1prash1 Posts: 32
    The only reason I was considerig V6 was its supposed quietness.

If it is not quieter than I4 by a noticable amount, I would buy I4 because it is powerful enough for me.

I think I have to test drive a V6 for myself to decide.

Waiting for V6 to arrive at the local dealer.
  • You're paying $29,500. You can get a nearly loaded Pilot for that.
  • The Pilot is more truck like and gets lower gas mileage with a less powerful engine. To me bigger is not always better. I like the style of the RAV and I do not want anything bigger (or smaller). Of all the vehicles I looked at, the RAV best suited my needs.
    I am looking to retire my 94 Geo Prizm too.
    The price 29,500 is not bad for a loaded nice vehicle.
    It is like you are getting a Lexus for the price of Toyota.
    I am sure you will enjoy your RAV4 for many years.
    IMO Hondas are not as quiet as Toyotas. Most hondas have this road noice. You will notice it Civic, CRV, Pilot and Odyssy. Some CRVs have alignment problem too. They pull to right. My friend took his CRV to the dealer 3 times. His problem is not fixed so far.
  • jmeitzjmeitz Posts: 15
    I will chime in on this one. I was determined to buy a new Rav4 and after test driving that and the highlander i decided for the price the Rav4 was a good choice. Next week i went to the auto show sat in a pilot. Week later test drove it and there is no comparison to the Rav4. Two totally different type of vehicles. Grant the Toy V6 has more pep to it but the Pilot has a lot more comfort and is nicer and bigger. Plus you can get a fully loaded 4wd EXL with Nav for 32K right now. Now who would buy a Rav4 limited and only save like 1500 bucks. I made the easy decision and purchased the Pilot and couldnt be happier. I am 6'2"and i can fit in the third row comfortably vs the Rav4 where i couldnt even fit. Anyway this is only my opinion on this.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Sounds to me like you are getting a Toyota vehicle at a Lexus price! But, hey , that's just me.

I also wouldn't buy a V-6 Accord because the I-4 had more than "enough" power and all the features I needed (and some that are more frivilous like a 6CD changer, heated mirrors) for a relatively low price ($22k for my 06 EX). Congrats to all you new car buyers out there, maybe you aren't cheap, like me!
  • I'm facing this issue myself. I was originally learning towards buying the Pilot but after the Rav4 came out, I had to think twice about the decision. Granted I am looking at paying nearly 30k for the Rav4 Limited v-6, I have to look at what impacts my daily driving. The pros of getting a Honda Pilot EX-L would be the integrated navigation system and having a larger vehicle. The Rav's would be having a faster, nimbler vehicle with better gas mileage. Considering I wouldn't use the third row seat in either vehicles, it doesn't really affect my purchasing decision. I'm leaning towards gas mileage and better performance. The cons for me on the Pilot would be that I'm assuming it will be up for a redesign next year and the fact that the $250 Ipod connection is not available with the EX-L model, whereas the AUX is standard on all Rav4's. Small details but everyone has their "demands".
  • flyingnflyingn Posts: 213
    AMEN Steve. This is how we feel. Life IS short. If you can afford it BUY it/.

Frank
    well for one my new rav gets 30 mpg on the highway. The pilot is not even close to that figure.. And when gas goes back up(and it will) this will mean a whole lot more then if a 6.2" guy can fit in the 3rd seat better in the Pilot then the Rav.. IMHO.
    :)
    Frank
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Hey I forgot to mention that when I drove the V6 I did not smoke the tires. But I did get a little chirp from a standing start. Any new MPG reports as you add on the miles?
  • anjanj Posts: 2
    Not that comfort in the second row was a big consideration for me (utility was more important) but everyone who has ridden in the back seat has complimented it for comfort and especially liked the reclining feature.
  • Yeah, they are comfortable. If you pull back on that lever, the seat back will recline to wherever you want. With that arm rest...if you extend the headrest section out all the way, it rests on that so the whole thing levels out.

• 01mdx01mdx Posts: 45
    Just a clarification on the Pilot/RAV4. The Pilot was redesigned (at least cosmetically) in 2006 so it will not change until at least 2008 (probably 2009).

I really like the new RAV4 (I have a 1997 right now) and the V6 looks really nice. But I have a couple of kids and use the 3rd row fairly often so it's really a concern for me. When I priced the RAV4 V6 with 3rd row, it's around 29K and I cannot get a few options that are standard on the Pilot. No doubt it handles better than the Pilot and is better on the gas. But I really need the space so I am looking at a pretty-well loaded Pilot EXL for around 30K. The space and features vs. cost is in the Pilot's favor.

If I only had one kid, I might go for the RAV4 as it's a nice package of utility/sportiness. I briefly looked at the Highlander Hybrid, but it seems like you are paying around 10K for the hybrid and since the RAV4 is almost equal size and gets decent mileage it does not seem worth it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Sounds like you need to be looking at the dreaded M word, minivans, if space is a concern. The third row in the Sienna and Odyssey provide much more room, easier access, and much more cargo space behind the third row than the Pilot, and especially the RAV4.

Just a thought.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,866
    Life IS short. If you can afford it BUY it/.

Now if we could just convince my child of the depression Mother of that. :P

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    with the upcoming Acura RDX....
  • 01mdx01mdx Posts: 45
    I have been looking at the minivans but cannot quite feel comfortable with spending the next 7-8 years of my life with one despite all of the practical reasons. I have driven the Pilot and Ody back-to-back multiple times and can't keep from feeling that the Ody is just too large (although it definitely has some great advantages). Wish I could look at the RAV (and RDX, Murano) more seriously but I cannot. I certainly have been happy with my RAV4 for the last 9 years. :)
    cool!!!! My 4 banger cannot chirp em :) We were down th eJersey shore yesterday and again we got 30 mpg on the way home.. all highway driving..

Frank
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    I was looking at the gear ratios since I might use it to pull an 18' boat to the water in the spring and out again in the fall. 1st gear in the V6 is even lower than the I4. Not much but lower. It does move out even with moderate throttle from a dead start.

I get a kick out of the comments here... "your getting a Toyota for a Lexus price." Tell me what Lexus SUV you can buy for $26550? (Price of loaded V6 Sport) And it can do 0-60 in less than 7 to 9 seconds depending the RAV engine you buy!
  • For a couple months now, we have also been looking very heavily at the RAV4 V6. In the process, we have also considered the Odyssey, Sienna, the Pilot, and the Highlander. Minivans, IMHO, have a lot of great benefits(especially on long trips with a couple of kids--the interior room is great if you remove that middle row of seats). However, my wife has been driving one for 7 years now and wants "something different." Thus--bye bye Ody and Sienna. The Pilot was nice and roomy--but drove very truck like and "big." The Highlander was very quite, smooth and comfortable--but let's face it,its somewhat lacking on eye appeal. Enter the V6 RAV4---very powerful, zippy, and easy to maneuver in traffic/parking. The interior is roomy enough for us (granted, I'm short (5'6") and my wife is even shorter), but we liked the power and maneuverability and the style of it. The middle seat allows adjustability forward and backward as well as reclining---nice features to increase comfort for those who may not be so tall. Test drove a V6 RAV4 a week ago and it handled very well and was fairly quiet. IMO, the Highlander was more comfortable, but I couldn't help but "enjoy" the peppiness and sportiness of the RAV. I got it up to a steady 80mph on a freeway and it was at very low RPM and was still very quiet and smooth.

Now the question----we have one ordered that the dealer is holding for us---its a V6 limited, with third row seat, moonroof, side-airbags, towing package, roof-rack, auto-dimming mirror, upgraded stereo, bumper guard, wheel locks, etc (nearly all options expcept no leather and no DVD system)--MSRP is $28,848 and we are getting it for $27,352---or $1500 below MSRP. From what I have read, this seems to be a pretty good deal at this time---any thoughts?

One other question----does Toyota offer Leather at all if you get the third row seat. Their site is a little confusing. Its difficult to tell whether you cannot get the leather on just the third row seat itself or whether you cannot get leather on any of the seats if you have the third row?
  • From what I have seen on this site, you got a good price. By the way, my wife and I went through a similar selection process. I was wondering what region of the country you are in? It seems that prices may vary depending on regional supplies V demand.