Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Well smoking the tires was a figure of speech. Really just want to see it is an honest and useful 269 Hp or just a single point, high revving mixmaster.

So how are you doing with your new RAV4?
  • jmeitzjmeitz Posts: 15
    two reasons i didnt buy the hybrid HL. 1st the hybrid only gets 2mpg more on the hwy(I drive all highway), second its a minivan with doors IMO. But if you want a hybrid i think with the tax credits and all it would be a awesome deal.. the dealer had 10 hybrids and said they cant move them at all. and when they do, toyota sends them another one.
    So what area of NY are you buying in? I have not been able to get anything off MSRP on a Sport in local NY area
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    "Element is not kid-friendly at all.
    It is a big hassle to let people in and out of the backseat (which you would do often with kids) and only 2 people can sit in back since it's a 4-seater.
    Element is for those who only have passengers in the back seat rarely."

I agree w/jaxs1 on this. I've been able to make some side-by- side comparisons between my brother's 04 Element and our 02 Rav4. The main advantage of the Element over the 2nd gen. Rav is cargo space (which is mitigated in the new model). The back seats in the Element are thinly padded and not very comfortable; seating position is also an acquired taste. The rubberized surfaces in the Element are great if you are hauling gear or kids or dogs, but feel cheap in comparison w/ the Rav's materials. The Element is heavier and more ponderous (less responsive in my opinion) and doesn't feel any quicker despite the roughly 20 extra HP and ft/lbs of torque. Since both my brother and I are under 6' tall I can't fairly assess headroom. I would say that the 02 Rav is really a four-seater as well even though Toyota claims five. Three will fit in the back if they are skinny or children.

Both vehicles are reliable, reasonably priced and have lower than average depreciation, but they are designed to serve different market segments.

Gogiboy
  • flyingnflyingn Posts: 213
    I know.. I did not know if you might of really thought you may be able to.. :)

Was out all day in the Rav. Still love it.. Tho today with the sunroof open we got a lot of wind beffettng at 25-30 mpg. bad.. weird. Other then that its a jewel of a truck. I still can't get over how fast it turns in and good the brakes are..

Frank
  • driverdmdriverdm Posts: 505
    You can price and see the specs on the CX-7 over on Mazda's website. It is very comparible to the Rav4 just a lot more sporty and has a better interior IMHO.

The long-term reliability on the more recent Ford products (Fusion, 500, Freestyle, F-150, Mustang) have been pretty good so I am not too worried about the long term reliability. I wish I did have the A-Plan though so it would make negotiating a price easier.

I like the Rav4, I just wonder if I'll end up in one. The Mazda seems to be the Cayenne of the reasonable price world and I do love to drive. The Rav4 has a lot of standard features, is good size, and the pricing is pretty good. I don't know it may be a little too cute, if you can understand that.
    Frank, when you say buffeting you mean lots of noise from the sun roof opening or? You say MPG but I assume you mean mph?
    One thing that is stange on the audi is with the sun roof open, the A/C air system seems to have a problem with noise. I am guessing that with the roof open the pressure in the cabin is different and this affects the flow from the vent/fan system.
  • Is there a decent online parts company where I can find accessories for the 06 Rav4?? I'm looking for something similar to www.handa.com (Honda AND Acura). They sell genuine Honda Accessories at discounted prices. Hopefully I can find Toyota's tow kit for considerably less money. Thanks.
    I don't know about a good parts site but I do know you can buy RAV4 06 thinkg like cargo net, mats etc from Toyota dealers on Ebay and much less than list.

Also, you can buy a first quality class two hitch for almost any care online. Just Google "Class II hitch" and many sites will come up. You can even see the install instructions online. Most require no drilling. This site:http://www.hidden-hitch.com/products.asp?category=hitch&year=2006&t1=&make=- Toyota&model=RAV4
    Shows hitch for $139 that it says fits 06 RAV. The install instructions are there too and it says it picks up existing welded nuts in the frame.
    I am sure once the car is out for a bit more places will show them. There are many on the web.

So have fun
  • flyingnflyingn Posts: 213
    yes and yes. sorry about the typos.

Frank
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    Yikes, over $30k for a RAV V-6. That's a bit too steep. You could buy a Highlander or Pilot EX for at least $2k cheaper. The Higherlander AWD V-6 base can be purchaed here in my area for less than 27k plus ttl. For $2-$4k, more you can get into a base MDX.

On a side note, I checked out the RAV-4 at the dealership. They had a ton of RAVs in stock (nearly 20). They are piling up. Another dealership claimed to have 24 2006 units in stock based on their ad. I would not pay MSRP for the vehicle. Glad to see some of the other posters got a bit of a discount.
    Well your right on the Highlander if that is what suits you. For me it drives too much like a truck, same for Pilot. Pilot very roomy and seems well made but based on a few local inputs on MPG, it is not so good around town.

I am hoping your right on stock stuff. I have been watching a few local dealers, all have 5 or more cars and the ones that are semi-loaded up have been there for a week or two. Base model seems to sell pretty fast here in NY. Fritmall has at least one Sport well equipped I4 onsite for at least two weeks now at $680 over invoice.

The market will settle it over the next 3-6 months for sure
  • I just took delivery of a new Rav4 Sport, which I'm enjoying a lot. I found a bag in the glove compartment that contains two rubber plugs which were supposed to be installed during the pre-ispection process, but clearly were not. I was hoping someone here might know where to find these "holes": the packaging says they go in the "center floor side member extension holes." Any idea where this is? I looked around under the car but didn't see anything obvious there, of course, I have no real idea where to look. Thanks for your help.
    I happened to check the FRITZMALL site this AM and the loaded Limited V6 I had mentioned yesterday here dropped in price by a large amount. About $2000 under MSRP or $670 over invoice now it seems. Eventually the NY dealers will do this also I guess or we go to MD and drive one home. They bring it to the airport and meet you there..

Body: 4WD 5DR SUV V6
    Color: Blizzard White
    Interior: Ivory Leather
    Order#: 65000129*O
    Model#: 4453
    VIN#:
    Delivered Internet Price: $28,646

Delivered Value Price: $29,015

Factory Invoice: $27,976

MSRP: $30,666

Freight, MD. Inspection Included.
    Tax, Tags, Title, Optional Dealer Processing Charge $99 Excluded

Features
    - C4
    FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS
    C4 - CARPETED FLOOR MATS
    DK - OWNERS PORTFOLIO
    EEJ - JBL AM/FM/CD CHANGER
    EF - REAR BUMPER PROTECTOR
    FE - 50 STATE EMISSION REQUIREMENT
    GN - CARGO NET
    GY - DR/PASS CURTAIN/SIDE AIRBAGS
    HD - HEATED DRIVER/PASS FRT SEATS
    LA - LEATHER INTERIOR
    MG - MUDGUARDS
    PC - SPECIAL PAINT
    RL - DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
    SR - PWR TILT/SLIDE MOONROOF
    TO - TOW PREP PACKAGE
    WL - WHEEL LOCKS
    Hey keep me posted on your new Sport. That is the one I want! Noise, ride, handling, MPG and any downside things you notice.
    Good luck with your RAV!
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    "The long-term reliability on the more recent Ford products (Fusion, 500, Freestyle, F-150, Mustang) have been pretty good so I am not too worried about the long term reliability. I wish I did have the A-Plan though so it would make negotiating a price easier."

I think the problem with the above statement is that all we can evaluate is short-term reliability on those vehicles. Even if the short term is good it doesn't necessarily mean the mid-term and long-term will be equivalent. Ford's past record is, in all fairness, spotty and previous generations of Mustangs have not been stellar. Ford may indeed have turned a corner (I hope so), but we need to wait a few more years to be certain.

Gogiboy
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    Actually, I have not settled on anything. With gas prices on the way back up (pushing $2.40 for the cheap stuff here in N. California), I may not go with a SUV. I test drove the Highlander and the Pilot and found them very quiet and smooth (perhaps the Highlander is more quiet). I doubt the Rav 4 cylinder version is quieter than these two vehicles; the V-6 we'll have to see.

My point is that the RAV may be a nice vehicle; however, the V-6 at or near $30k is no bargain, especially when you can get a bigger vehicle and/or a luxury brand for not much more money. Your right though, you are sacrificing gas mileage, space, etc. The market appears to be settling down.

Best of luck with your purchase. Toyota is making a future vehicle decision very difficult. Lots of great models are coming out.
  • vlad7vlad7 Posts: 2
    I've checked at least 4 dealers around my area and none of them have a 2006 Sport model without any upgrades. What's up with that? Why toyota is shipping these vehicles with optional equipment? CAn the dealer make a special order for the car I want? If so, how long do you think it will take to get it?
    Thanks
    They add extras to make money! That is why they are in business. Dealers have told me you can pretty much order what you want but the wait is 8 weeks or so, unless they can find a dealer that has what you want coming sooner and is willing to trade. Unless your in a big hurry wait a while and the prices etc should level out