Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 7-Series 2007+

Comments

• acbrbmwacbrbmw Posts: 19
    the 2007 will be avalible in late sept. and you will be able to order the car aug 1st and everything is the same as the 2006 except that there will be an aux. input for you ipod or mp3. also, there will be an option for night vision for 2k, i've seen it and its great!

the redesign will not be comming till 2009
  • q_krielq_kriel Posts: 2
    Did you get the rattle issue resolved. I also have this i took the car in once and they said it required a software upgrade, after this is was better or at least i thought so. I feel a very "rough" sensation in the steering wheel as well as the accelerator. It is very annoying and ruins the experience, i also have a X3 and i have to say it is smoother no vibration/sensation.

Let me know if you got it resolved, as i want to take mine in again
  • bybasher1bybasher1 Posts: 2
    I am also having the same problem with the rough idle. I purchased the 2006 750li in May of 05' since then it has been back to the dealership numerous times for computer upgrades that do not fix the problem. If anyone out there has had their problem resolved please let me know how. I have already had 2 BMW engineers look at the car and they are saying that it needs a computer upgrade but its already been done and no luck. I have put in a phone call to BMW Corp. as I am very frustrated and seem to be getting nowhere.
  • bybasher1bybasher1 Posts: 2
    has the exceleration problem re-occured?????? Have you had any issues with a rough idle?????
  • lexus460llexus460l Posts: 51
    I got my 750Li this Feb. and its a great ride, so fast and smooth. Copmared to my other new lexus, its so much faster. The acceleration is fast. Not very much noise with the door sealed up.
  • ageorgeageorge Posts: 9
    I was planning on buying an A8, 750 or a new S class. I was very surprised that the Audi puts 4 times the pollution into the enviornent. While these cars use more gas the Audi seems to be very environmentally unfriendly I'm going with one of the others. Not sure which.
  • bigjattbigjatt Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 750Li and have ahd a "vibration" in the vehicle since I took delivery last September. After several visits to the dealer they replaced all tires but the problem is still there. They refuse to do anything else so I am working with BMW corporate to see if they can help. Essentially the problem is there is a constant vibration felt in the wheel, the seat and my body feels its sitting on one of those cheap motel vibrating beds. The vibration increases with speed and is max at around 68 - 70mph. Does any one else have this problem or a fix? :lemon:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,261
    My first instinct would be to check the driveshaft and have it removed and checked for balance....and at the same time, the car can be run without the driveshaft to see if the vibration is still there at "rest" with engine revving.

If the vibration occurs at "rest" with engine revving, then you have perhaps some accessory vibrating, like power steering pump or AC compressor.

If there's no vibration at rest, and the driveshaft checks out okay, then HMMMMMMMM.....I'd check rear tire and wheel balance....maybe even check rear tires and wheels first. They could even test the car on a lift with and without the rear wheels on.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Thanks. I have a rendevouz with the BMW corporate Rep tomorrow. I'll post what they say. If nothing comes of it, I will pursue the Lemon Law. I have already retained an attorney for the purpose.

The dealer VOB just plain sucks! Another exapmple of their incompetence is they drove my other BMW into a wall while working on it! Unfortunately they are the only dealer around this area. This is my 4th 7 series and I have a 330 CI and a 645 Ci. Never had this kind of problem before!

BTW, ALL, the tires have already been replaced, twice, by the dealer! they claimed the first set they installed were also defective!

Bigjatt
    :lemon:
  • mmxdocmmxdoc Posts: 1
    I have a 99 740iL which has always vibrated. I've driven the dealership in town and local tire places crazy trying to fix it with no success. I also have a new 2006 750 Li now that is vibrating in addition to a rough idle when cold which they say requires a software upgrade that is not yet available. It also sounds like a diesel at times even when warm. They told me today that the rough idle is necessary for the fuel efficiency. I also have a 645Ci which has no problems and a friend who just got a 2006 650Ci which I believe has the same engine as my 750Li and he has no problems of a similar nature. I'm becoming frustrated. The service advisors seem to know less than I do. Any suggestions?
  • q_krielq_kriel Posts: 2
    It is not normal, i have the same issue. I took it in to try and get them to fix it, and i was luck enough to get another 06 750 as a loaner, the loaner was perfect and had no issue at all. Its production date was 3 months later than mine. But still the service center could do nothing they also mentioned a software upgrade coming in June.

I have contacted BMW directly and they are investigating, but i do not have much hope they seem to care less than the dealer.

Well this is my last BMW luxury car, i cannot pay this type of money and get something like this.

I will post again if i get it resolved
    So I met with the BMW north America Rep. I drove the car and he sat in the driver's seat and the local BMW mechanic sat in the back seat. The car vibrated as usual. First claim they amde was that it was a "normal BMW" kind of vibration! I said nothing! They talked among themselves and comments like, "tires develop flat spots when at rest" and the car only vibrates when going over a bump were made. They took several notes.

They said they put the car up on ramps and looked at the tires and wheels. They called back and told me that the right two rims were bent and had to be replaced. The dealer called and left me a message that these are not warranty items but the BMW Rep. was going to do me a favor this one time to repalce them. They are on order and should be in today. They are trying to blame me for bending the rims. The problem has been there from teh day the car was handed to me. I also have the rough idle, loud whirrinmg sounds from the engine compartment at startup, squeaking when sitting in the car, ineeficient A/C in the hot weather and squealing breaks along with random resetting of the computer.

I'll post again once I get the car back and test drive it.

:lemon:
  • mph100mph100 Posts: 3
    Took delivery of 2006 750li with sport pkg 4 weeks ago. Cold starts produce an idel so rough the car shakes. I thought it would correct itself, but no luck. Have service appointment tuesday.

More concerning is the transmission. It will not shift out of high gear when it needs to. Instead, it loads the engine down to about 1200 rpm and then double or triple shifts producing a very jerky ride. This problem occurs continually until at highway cruise. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks.
  • boupierboupier Posts: 1
    You are not alone. My 2006 750Li also developed the very rough idle at cold start after performing fine for the first 6 months. The dealer had the nerve to tell me it's normal and that there is no fix. It only happens first thing in the AM, and I don't think they bothered to try it then. BMW of NA disagreed with the dealer's assessment, and are supposedly talking to the dealer to resolve it. I suggest call BMW NA directly at 1-800-831-1117. My very helpful contact there was Molly.
  • mikeebearmikeebear Posts: 13
    Wow, my dad was considering buying one of these but with all the problems I wonder if it's worth it! Do all cars have their bundle of customers that experience problems? Why don't they just test the darn cars before giving them out or before releasing them from Germany even?
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    Do you think we will ever see all wheel drive in the 7 series? I think they should make this an option as BMW has it in the rest of the line and they need to remain competitive with Audi and MB who both offer it in their A8 and S Class.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche and BMW owners who use their car for “everyday driving,” from going to the grocery store to commuting to and from work, instead of just using the car during the weekends for nice drives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, August 28, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you drive.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have received or are giving a luxury car as a gift for Christmas. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 8, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.
  • Testing this in the Pacific Palisades was a good idea. You see many a 7-series on a daily basis specifically in that area....I should know, I live there.
    Hi, guys. A little dead in this forum. Just wanted to know if the new 7s (06 on) have the I drive kinks worked out. I know of 2 people who had the first year model and both had to go "lemon law". Its such a great drive and one that I'm considering but not if the electronics are still a crap shoot.
    Thanks
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    One thing you can do is check the Consumer Ratings (link above is to the 07 reviews - prior years are also available). Several list iDrive in the Favorite Features section. I did see one complaint that it is overly complex, but otherwise the impressions seem to be favorable.
    Yes, I did. Thanks. Why are there no 7 series owners around to talk about there cars? Too busy driving? :)
    I have been concerned about reliability issues. CR does not reccomend and as I mentioned earlier, I know some of the first year cars were really problems. Wanted to know if the current year is good.
  • I've owned the Lexus 430, LX470, GS430, ES300, Mercedes e320 and more. The LX470 was the most trouble free. The Mercedes was the most trouble prone. This was my first BMW and I bought it new last year. I have about 14K miles on it and the only thing that has gone "bad" was a leaky valve on one of the tires (which the on board computer alerted me to as a "low tire warning") and which NTB repaired free of charge.

I'm very happy with my BMW.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Hi there

My friend is seriously considering buying a 740 or a 750li can i get some info that hows the car built quality driving feeling any any info that you can possible give me abt the specifications and the important useful options and your personal feeling abt the car is it too large to drive because of its size, hows the acceleration feeling and any personal details you can tell

Well since u mentioned that u owned many lexus my own personal favorite is the new LS 460. did u ever consider it.

Any comments appreciated

Thanks.
  • ibleaveibleave Posts: 13
    bmlexus,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I don't check this forum too often. To your questions, here are some of my misc ramblings: I don't have any information or experience with the 740s, the model before my 750Li. Since I went from a SUV to the 750Li, the BMW didn't seem too big to me :)

I've had a few friends with smaller cars test drive my 750Li and they are amazed that it doesn't feel / drive as big as it looks. Another friend of mine has a 330i sport and it definitely rides differently -- my car has a bigger feel and is much more comfortable (and my friend agrees). For specs and options, suggest looking at the BMWUSA web site (for new BMWs) and for used BMWs, see the Edmunds or Kelly Blue book web sites. Mine is loaded but I didn't get the comfort seating for the rear seats or the radar cruise control. I got but didn't think I'd really use things like the power closing trunk, comfort access (soft automatic closing doors), keyless entry / start or heated steering wheel (but I really like all of 'em). The car has lots of power (much more than I'd ever need or use). The back seat space is fantastic (more than in any of my SUVs). I've moved the passenger front seat all the way froward and had enough area in the backseat footwell to put a dinning room chair (without the chair touching the front or back seat) -- the trunk is also a good size (something that I was disappointed in my LS and GS).

I did not test drive the new Lexus 460 since I was not really satisfied with the ride and handling of my prior Lexus autos (too cushy, numb feeling -- at least to me). I did enjoy my LX but the gas mileage was not good (10-11 mpg in the city). One thing I will say about Lexus - the ML stereo is the absolute best I've ever heard. BMW and Mercedes could both learn something from Lexus in regards to auto stereo sound systems (and ergonomics - the japanese cars seem to be more ergo oriented than the german cars). I am not a fan of BMW's I-Drive -- I also was not a fan of having to acknowledge "I Agree" to the safety warning on the Lexus Nav system every time I turned the car on and having to pull to a stop to enter / change Nav information -- what a pain in the .... Every car has their good and bad aspects (all relative, I guess).

One thing to keep in mind, after the warranty is over, BMWs can be expensive to maintain if they develop problems. I haven't had any maint cost yet since it's still within the warranty period.

I get many more comments on my BMW than I ever did on any of my Lexus cars. Don't know why but people seem to be more impressed with this auto.

Good Luck!
    The Lexus will not compare in driving qualities to the 7 series and the 750 will beat the pants off it in any test of speed.

If you like a tight responsive feel to a car, the Lexus is not going to cut it. On the other hand, the Lexus will no doubt prove more reliable and easier to maintain. it's a *very* nice car in its own right.

The 750iL does not feel at all like the size that it is, it "drives small" as they say in the car trade. Personally I'd go for the 740, which has lesser complexity in the engine compartment and better fuel mileage.

• bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Thanks for all the info after a long time,well it's good to hear the good things and the problems things like. BMW can be expensive to maintain if they develop problems and thanks Mr_Shiftright for your thoughts as well its very true Lexus will no doubt prove more reliable and easier to maintain. it's a *very* nice car in its own right.

As i mentioned before I was only asking these info's for my friend who was at the time very interested in these luxury cars and strangely he still hasn't bought yet and is now considering a merc as a option I did try to pursue him to take the LS but he can't seem to decide whatever happens whatever he buys will certainly let u guys know and thanks again for sharing the information.

As for my self I have all options open to buying a new car which unfortunately will be in the next 2 years but i tend to get a SUV currently towards the x5 which i really like but had mix reaction abt the ride quality and run flats and reliability,well who knows many new SUV will hit the market in the next 2 years.
  • dradickdradick Posts: 1
    I was wondering how the 7 Series handles in wet weather. I know that it is not good in the snow being it is a rear rear drive car. I have the 530xi with my lease expiring soon and was wondering about how the 7 series was in the rain.
    My friend's 750 which I borrow on occasion is very good in wet weather. Tracks like a train.

As for snow, it should be pretty good, what with the weight and balance. My opinion about snow and a RWD car is this: It's 25% about the car, 50% about the tires and 25% about the driver.

• blstsblsts Posts: 1
    Have "opportunity" to buy 2007 750i fully dressed out, has 130 mile, never registared. The problem in my mind is the car is three years old with the introduction of the 09 model. The asking price is $69k, now the question is what is it worth. Any insight would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.