Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Sky

Comments

• dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Well, i'm "largeish" and i fit quite well in a boxster, but that starts at 45K.
  • nscrbugnscrbug Member Posts: 16
    That "big piece of white trim" is actually NOT white at all...it's Silver Pearl, which is the exact color of the trim around the windshield and the 2 humps on the trunk. I like it...but then again I ordered a Silver Pearl Sky so those painted interior trim pieces will match the exterior of the car...if you haven't seen one in person, it looks sweet! ;)
    Don't know if this really answers your question, but...my car was 'imaged' (order sent into system) on 3/27/06 and was told by the General Manager of my dealership to expect the car sometime in June. As of 4/12/06, my order had been received by the assembly plant, but not processed (built) yet due to a hold on automatics. A similar hold on the chrome wheels was also delaying many Skys from being built...and from being imaged (ordered) because the ordering system won't allow an image to be sent through if an option such as chrome wheels or automatic is unavailable at that time. Your dealer basically has to keep trying everyday to send the image through and hopefully will get lucky and it will be accepted at some point. I'm also hearing on other Sky forums, that it's the shipping process that is taking the longest...anywhere from 2-4 weeks for most...but as long as 2 months for some folks. :mad:

I hope this answers some of your questions. If not...a good place to get info about the Sky ordering process is www.skyroadster.com
  • ousoonersgirlousoonersgirl Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove a Sky. I loved everything about it except one thing. I am only 5'5 and the seating is way too low. I feel like I need a child's booster seat just to see over the windshield. Does anyone know how I can fix/customize this problem? (other than NOT getting the Sky) I have to have this car. I would like to have one in Pearl Silver but it seems EVERY Tom, Dick & Harry is getting that color. Does anyone have any pictures of a white one? One more question, does anyone have info on the clear bra that protects the front? :D
    Yeah, I'm 5'6" so I will probably have the same issue as you...but I'm not letting it stop me from buying my SKY. I ordered a Silver Pearl...yeah, it's a popular color but I think it's the color that looks the best and shows the lines of the car..the car just looks sexy in Silver. :) Mine is scheduled to be built in late May and be delivered sometime in June. The clear bra that you're referring to...might be the 3M one called Roadblock. It's pretty expensive from what I hear...a guy on the www.skyroadster.com forum is getting it and says it will run him $995. There are some other clear bras available, but I don't remember the names and prices. If you are interested in more SKY information...go to the link I provided above...there is more Sky information there than you will ever find anywhere else!
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I really like it. Much better than the Pontiac. I was hoping for a six speed manual but we can't have everything.
  • ousoonersgirlousoonersgirl Member Posts: 2
    No..no..it’s not stopping me either. I’ll just have to find a way around the seating problem. I went ahead and ordered the Polar White. I normally don’t like white because its so plain but I really like the white on the Solstice so I’m hoping it looks good on the Sky too. The Sky is so much nicer than the Solstice therefore I think it will look better. I still wish I had pictures of a white one. I ordered my Sky April 22nd so I still have a little more time to change the color if I have to. I wish they had Pearl white. When did you order yours? I’m curious how long it will take to get my car. The salesman cannot give me an exact time frame. As for the bra…OUCH. :cry: Where I live I think I will have no choice to get it.

Thank you for the Sky link I will check it out. :shades:
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    We went to our local Saturn dealer last night and decided to order a new Sky. Over the phone they said that it would take 4-8 weeks after ordering the car to get it in, but when we got there and made our decision to actually order the car, they told us that there was at least a one month hold on submitting orders. Does anyone know if this is just for this dealer, or is it for everyone? We live in the DC area and can go to 4 to 5 other dealers within 30-45 minutes of the house.

Thanks
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I've heard Saturn already sold out the '06 Skys.

Saturn typically starts next year orders late May, early June.

Could be the dealer is saying you need to wait until then to spec out an '07.

If this is the case, and you are flexible with colors and options, you may be able to get on a wait list for an '06 where the original buyer backs out.
    FYI...the Saturn Sky is a 2007 model...there is no such thing as a 2006 Sky. It is true that they have sold out of their allotment of SKYs for production this year...however, that does not mean you won't be able to find a dealer that doesn't have ALL of their allotment spoken for...definitely shop around. Lots of dealers still have a few Skys in their allotment left...it may not be too late to get one...however don't expect delivery of a custom order until probably late August at this point.
    My 'image' was put through (which essentially means the car has been officially ordered) on March 27th. I have a 'tentative production week' of 5/22/06...this is when they think my Sky will actually be built...however I've been told to not hold too much faith in those TPW dates as they can and often will, change. I was told to expect my Sky sometime in June...I'm thinking the latter half of June. It's the shipping that seems to take the longest...as long as 6 weeks for some folks. Has to do with the cars sitting in the railyards for weeks waiting for the train cars to fill up before they depart. That link I provided for www.skyroadster.com is your best source for information regarding orders and delivery. You will be able to compare your order date with others in your area and have a better idea of when to expect your SKY. :)
    That estimate of 4-8 weeks that your dealer gave you...I would definitely lean more towards the 8 weeks on that. Based on the ordering experiences of many Sky owners on the www.skyroadster.com forum...getting a Sky in 4 weeks after ordering is not likely to happen. It's already been over 4 weeks since my order was accepted and my car has not even been built yet...and it won't be built until sometime in the later part of May...then it will be another 2-3 weeks before it finally arrives at the dealership!

As far as the ordering hold...this might depend on what options you are ordering. I know in the past, that there have been ordering constraints on chrome wheels, red leather, and automatic transmissions. If you are ordering any of those options, that may be why your dealer is telling you that there is a hold...the ordering system simply won't accept an order if the factory doesn't have the materials to build the car to the order specs. I highly doubt that this is just your dealer...but it still wouldn't hurt to check a few more dealers in your area...especially since you have a few more that aren't that far away. Just be sure that whichever dealer you end up going with...that they are selling for MSRP...get it in writing!!!
    It will be my wife's car so we do plan on getting an AT and chrome wheels, but we never discussed options with the salesman. I'm going to check a couple of other dealers and see what they have available.
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    If they didn't make enough, I can't see standing in line! Why do car manufacturers do this? Forget the idea that they actually made a miscalculation. They are controlling the price in a very pretentious and maddening way.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Two seater roadsters are a very small market. With the new GM entries the volume of small 2 seaters has probably doubled. With this type of vehicle they will sell to those who want them now but later on will quickly lose sales if over produced. Better to keep them hot and raise the prices which I predict will happen soon.
    Because the Sky is a limited production car. Saturn stated this from the get-go...so it should be no surprise to anybody that there will be a limited supply of them. Why oversaturate the market with them? Saturn does not want any Skys sitting on their lots...I can understand why Saturn is doing things this way. And how are they "controlling the price in a very pretentious and maddening way"??? :confuse: Their policy has always been to sell for MSRP...most people already know that. Yes, some dealers are marking up and adding dealer add-ons...that is their choice..but it's also your choice not to buy from a dealer that is doing that. There are plenty of Saturn dealers that are upholding the MSRP policy...shop around and you'll find them.
    We found a dealer about 60 minutes further out from DC and were not only able to order our car, but they also had a car that we could test drive. We are now anxiously waiting the car, they are forecasting an 8 week wait.
    Good for you!

Did a little leg work and found what you wanted when you wanted it.

Please keep us posted.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Was a news article recently that commented that '06 production allocations were all spoken for (read, sold).
  • cardealer1cardealer1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the new Sky Red Line can be ordered and when it will be available? I live in L.A. any suggestions on what dealer to get it from that is not charging over MSRP?
    The back door approach works with "one price" dealers: They vary the amount they are willing to "give" you for your trade. I used this to my great advantage in 2003 when I bought a brand new Saturn Vue for my youngest daughter to drive to college. Frankly, it was a killer deal, and the Vue really fills the bill at a low price. As for the Sky, I can't have one due to them not being available? Then, I'll most likely buy something from FOMOCO. Read, Mustang! :shades:
  • dcab1dcab1 Member Posts: 15
    :) Ok, we have a very nice looking car, but has there been any problems with this car. Everyone speak up so we can get them fixed. I drive toyota's and just want a good driving, no rattles, or noises in the car other then the wind with the top down. How is the engine and how about the warranty and the company on the car.
    Not sure what you are looking for but per this forum and it's owners there have been no issues. Do you know of any?
    I do not have my Sky yet, but I do know for a fact that there are some issues with it. It's a first-year production model, so some problems are to be expected as they work the 'bugs' out. Some of the more common issues are a rear wheel rub. The rear tires rub against the wheel well causing a burning smell and some damage to the wheel well lining. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out for this problem, so Saturn is already addressing it with a 'fix'. There are a few other minor problems, but it would be a lot easier if you just go to the www.skyroadster.com forum and read up on them. There is a lot of information at that forum from many owners who actually have taken delivery and have some miles on their cars...they would know better than anyone, what problems to expect.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Typical GM. How can you put a car into production and into dealerships with wheels that rub against the wheel wells?
    Every car (whether it's a first-year production or not) is going to have some problems, and that includes non-GM cars...name me one that doesn't? Not saying that it's right, but it happens...that's what warranties are for.
    Pontiac may have stuffed too large of tires into it.

P245/45R18 vs. Mazda's measley P205/45R17. Amazing difference in size.
  • kd6aw1kd6aw1 Member Posts: 116
    Went to the dealer to look at the new Sky. I am 6'1" tall and weigh 200 pounds, got in to the drivers seat and my knees were pressed against the dash with the seat all the way back.

Had to get out of there right away but it was very hard to exit even though my shoes are only size nine.

I fit into the Mazda Miata just fine and think anyone who is over 5'7" tall would have extreme difficulty driving the Sky.

Now I know why General Motors is having financial problems. They are producing junk and the American people are too smart for them. Shame on them!!!

Paul
    San Diego, California
    That is pure bull. I have been in the Solstice and there is plenty of room for a 6'er. In fact the specs (here at Edmunds) show that there is less than a .5" difference in legroom and the Solstice has 1 more inch of headroom.

If you are are 6'1" and really have only size 9 shoes you have other problems.
    Corvette beat me to the punch.

Your claim is nonsense.

There is less than an inch difference between the Miata and Sky leg room and shoulder room.

The Sky has slightly better head room. Again, less than an inch.

the Sky is not part of any GM sales problem. The Sky and Solstice are sold out this year. They are outselling the new Miata by a long shot.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I'm only 5' 11" and I cannot get the steering wheel to adjust high enough to not block the main portion of the instrument binnacle. I did check to see that the seat was in its lowest and most rearward position.

My line of sight was right into the top of the windshield header.
    Sorry you don't understand english! It sounds like this car is perfect for you and if so I am happy for you.

You deserve the sky and I hope you will be very happy together.

Again, the car is too small for me. Can you understand that without foaming at the mouth, didn't mean to make you mad Sonny.
    Not really foaming at the mouth ;)

Just have been in the Solstice and cannot see a 6'er having those kind of issues. Both my sitting in it and the specs do not add up to your experience. Perhaps the seat was not all the way back? Are there any owners out there over 6' that feel their knees are in the dashboard?
    I'm 6' 1", 175 lbs, and I fit fine. Perhaps the seat wasn't adjusted properly?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, let's be careful to leave these out of the conversation. Thanks!!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I apologize to the writer. :blush:
    Duke 15,

I must have longer legs than you. Both the salesman and myself tried to move it back further but the seat adjustment was at it's limit. He agreed that the car was best for smaller people.

Good luck to you.

Paul
    Could be - I'm a little long in the torso. The first salesman that I spoke to didn't know how to adjust the seat properly, so I thought it might have been that.
    Your legs may well be too long for the Sky.

But with less than half an inch difference between the Sky and Miata leg room, your claim you fit the Miata just fine does not add up, so to speak.
    "I'm only 5' 11" and I cannot get the steering wheel to adjust high enough to not block the main portion of the instrument binnacle. I did check to see that the seat was in its lowest and most rearward position.

My line of sight was right into the top of the windshield header."

I am just under an inch taller than you. I had the same issues with my two (first and second generation) Miatas.

Roadsters are designed low to the ground. This is an important component in their ride and handling.

For the instruments, Mazda and Saturn could add a heads up feature, I suppose. That would add to expense.

Miata aftermarket companies sell a plastic attachment that fixes to the top of the windshield, giving a more panoramic view. This enables taller people to see traffic lights and the like, without being blocked by the header. I imagine it would work just as well in the Sky as in the Miata. I never saw the need for one.
    Go try fitting into a Mustang, for comparison.
    My husband is 6'3", 180lbs and he fits in the Sky just fine. I think it all depends on leg length...those with long legs will probably find the Sky/Solstice too cramped. For what it's worth, my hubby finds that he fits better in the Sky over the Miata and the 350Z.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    I have one of those little plastic things, that gives you a panoramic view (if the windshield header is in the way). Don't bother. I just got used to ducking my head a bit to look at traffic lights that I am stopped at. The plastic thing is useless. It's way too small to be of any value.
    Thank you for your insight.

When I saw the ads, it seemed like one of those things that were cool, but not all that necessary.

Like you, after a brief learning period, I just got used to adjusting to the windshield header.

Just part of having a roadster.

That said, this is one area where Mazda may be able to beat GM to the punch. I know Volvo was working on support pillars with an open metal structure. The driver conceivably would be able to see through the A column and the windshield header with no loss of structural rigidity. If affordable, Mazda may be able to use them on the next generation MX5.

Of course by then, GM and Saab may have worked out a version of their own.
  • jeannelajeweljeannelajewel Member Posts: 12
    We priced both and the Saturn Sky is much less expensive. It comes with most options but the Solstice has you pay for ABS brakes, AC, etc. Our Sky has most bells and whistles and is STILL quite under 30!
    My husband is 6' tall and weighs over 200 and has absolutely NO TROUBLE getting in and out of the Sky and he loves driving it! We are both in our mid sixties.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    ..which packs every Sky it sells with a "performance package" (huge chrome wheels, "racing tires", lots of chrome, some decals, window tint, etc.), jacking the price up nearly $10K.
    They claim they only get one Sky a month, hence the pack job.

The dealer sales rep knew so little about the car it was laughable. :lemon:

Dealership is Galpin Automotive, by the way (plz feel free to delete dealer comment if posting was inappropiate).
    Too bad your dealer was not informed. Ours here in Ct was quite helpful. We chose to NOT go with the chrome since hubby says it is a waste of money. I also do not like leather so the cloth seats it was and they are beautiful! Our dealer here has had many skys' and they go as quick as they get them. I guess us nutmeggers just appreciate a fun car. All the information that anyone needs is in the June issue of Road and Track magazine. You might recommend it to your dealer! Or better yet, go to a GOOD dealer!
  • stormyskystormysky Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there are products out to boost the sky's performance?
    It sounds a bit whiney at high RPMs and I wanted to maybe modify the exhaust to get a deeper sound.
    I have also heard about after market performance "chips" that can be plugged in to boost HP.
    Thanks,
    KJ
This discussion has been closed.