Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 SportCombi

Comments

• Just got an '08 Combi that had everything we wanted at a great price. Well, everything except the roof rails... Not the crossbar type rack, just the parallel to the body roof rails.

Can I get these installed by my dealer without butchering our beautiful new car? In other words, would getting them installed at the dealer be as invasive as say, an after-market sunroof?

I'd really like to get the rails to get more of the vibe of our old '02 9-03 hatchback.

Thanks!
  • Yes you can install rails by your dealer or yourself. I installed them on my 2006 SC. I purchased rails and plastic covers that go beneath rails form member from saabcentral.com, pulled old plastic covers and installed new ones. New covers have openings where you attach rails (front and back on each side). The screws are already there in the roof. Just look for the best price and install them by yourself. It is 1/2 hr job.

Tarik
  • I have an '07 'combi Aero, and I've noticed that when I turn the stereo above about half way, you get an annoying hum/static sound in the background. This happens for all types of media (CD, XM, AM/FM).

Has anyone else had this problem or is it something I need to get checked? I was expecting more from a premium 300W stereo!

Thanks!!
  • So, I just purchased a 2008 SC with roof rails factory installed. I can't tell but I think they produce a lot of wind noise. Is it just as easy to remove them? If so, do you know where I could purchase covers for the exposed spaces that will be created in the roofline?
  • tarikhtarikh Posts: 2
    You can get covers from either a dealer or online stores. I have parchment silver covers (not sure what color your car is).

Thanks
  • Thanks, my car is snow silver. Do you know a good online store?
  • One other question is are the "covers" (saab calls them "decor strips") easy to install/uninstall. I'm not feeling ambitious about making too many irreversible modifications to the car as I think I'll dump the lease in a couple years....
  • biggimpbiggimp Posts: 8
    I have an '07 Aero Combi. The fourth preset button on my stereo doesn't work ONLY if it's the first button you push after turning the radio on. Similarly, if you try to scroll up through the steering wheel, it skips the 4th preset.

The dealer just replaced the stereo (and in the process scratched the interior trim and lost my CD's), and the same problem is there.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's very strange...

As a side note, I attend the aero academy in under a month - I can't wait!!
  • No stereo problems on our 2006 sportcombi aero. I did not attend Aero academy but really wanted to. So did my wife. How was it?
  • Hi everyone,

I am looking for a bit of advice on a car my wife and I are looking at purchasing. It is a manual transmission 2006 9-3 Sport Combi with ~30K miles and they are asking $16.5K. It has a clean Carfax, new tires and new front breaks (rear are @ 80%). Based on others in the Mpls area, it looks like a competitive price ~ am I right? Also, it is only under factory warranty until 50K miles, but the dealership offers an extended bumper-to-bumper for ~$1,900 (6 yr or 100K) - based on your experience, is this worth it?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
  • I would consider adding this post to the forum 'real-world trade-in values'.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,411
    there are two 06 wagons in Sparta, Wi. one black & one silver --23/24k miles priced at $13496 & $12990. phone 888-901-4305 ext #2. Would be worth the trip based on the car you are looking at. You could put brakes and tires if needed, and get them thoroughly checked out. Still have thousands in the bank for future repairs[unlikely] and skip the 2 grand warranty which computes to 10-15% of the purchase price. A brand new one can be had for 24k. Happy new year.
    Also found a 08 combi in green bay with 9335k miles for $19900. It may be saab certified which offers warranty beyond the 4 year 50k. 888-783-8785
    The 08's are freshened with numerous mechanical/electric upgrades. Same price as your 06 with the warranty. If I were you, I'd be heading for cheesehead country.
  • Thanks so much for the response and information! The car actually sold before we made it back, but this will certainly help as we continue to look!!
  • OK, bought a 2006 Sportcombi Aero with all options except roof rails in Nov/Dec 2006. About 3 months ago I began to feel a vibration from the steering wheel. It is minor but noticeable. When I start to give it gas the vibration goes away.
    I was at a red light the other day and put the car in neutral and the steering wheel started to 'shimmy' to the left about a half inch rotation then back to the right. Very odd.
    When I took it to the dealer (Still under warranty) they speculated I was using regular fuel and try 93 octane. I have ALWAYS used regular and my manual says it is OK so I had my doubts but tried 3 tanks of premium just in case (They have been right abut many other things in the past). This had no effect on my problem.
    Has anyone had similar problems and it so were you able to isolate it and get it resolved? I would like to get this fixed before I go off warranty.
    It's a shame but I suspect nobody at the dealerships know how to or want to fix problems anymore. The gas idea was the epitome of laziness.How about the power steering system? Always looking for the easy fix. An independent shop staffed by 50 year old mechanics would find the problem but they don't work for saab. That's true for all car problems that don't generate a computer code alert. Good luck.
  • Hi guys, I just bought 2008 Saab 9.3 2.0 T with 15000 miles
    and for some reason I feel a pretty extensive wheel vibration when I stop with engine on and in drive mode.

I went to the dealer and he told me that everything is okay with the car and that they drove the car and did not feel anything.

But i do feel a strong vibration that is so annoying.
    I had maxima, lexus, audi, and other cars and never had the same feeling.

Please advise.
  • jw4doorjw4door Posts: 2
    Just bought an 08 aero sportcombi and am extremely happy, so far. I am trying to figure out how to install the bluetooth module and wiring harness to bypass the Onstar handsfree button. Has anyone done this already or have any instructions and a list of parts I need to buy to make this work? Onstar is too expensive to use for calling !!! Thanks
    I assume they thoroughly examined the front brakes, wheels and tires. It sounds like the beginning of rotor issues -- not unusual for eurosedans at 15k. If its under warranty go back and insist. If not find an independent shop that will show an interest in your concern. Not a chain repair outlet but someone that specializes in euro cars and has a good rep.
  • jgd1jgd1 Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2007 9.3 SportCombi Aero. So far, so good, after a couple of weeks. Car did not come with the drop-in cargo cover (noted in the owner's manual as "cargo guard"). SaabUSA and CARid on-line sell a cargo guard, but it's a wire cargo separator, not a cover. Any suggestions on where I can find one? Thanks for any help.
  • mikerbmikerb Posts: 1
    My cruise control shuts off and is unusable at times. 2 Saab dealers have no idea what is causing it. Sometimes turning on brights will disconnect the cruise control. Other times the set won't work or decelerate won't work. Anyone have similar issues? What was done to correct?
  • My Subaru is coming off lease and they don't make the model I like anymore. My wife has always liked Saabs.
    I've never owned one. What is the situation with Saab now. Are they going under, being sold, what's up. I don't know if it's a good time to lease one with the future so uncertain for them.
    Looking over the forum, it also seems like they're prone to lots of problems.
    A friend used to say to me, "I love my Saab, when I get to drive it."
    I'm thinking of the awd 9 3 wagon.
    thanks,
    cdndriver
  • Saab is being purchased by koenigsegg and the purchase should be completed by the end of the year.

You can't lease Saabs right now. If you have to lease your next car and won't consider just buying one then you need to look elsewhere. Leasing is still very tough right now and until more lease support comes from koenigsegg, because GM is providing no lease support now, a Saab is too expensive to lease.

Back a couple of years ago a 9-3 would lease between 350 and 450 a month for a regular lease. Now if you wanted to lease the exact same car the lease would be 750 plus. It makes no sense.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the feedback. I stopped by a Saab dealer today while my Subie was being serviced. He said they aren't getting any cars so it's really hard to find anything until the new company gets going. He did have a fully loaded 9-3 v6 aero. really nice, but way too much for me. He also had several sedans which were also really nice. His best deals were demos which had low kilometres, but I've always been told to steer clear of them. They have huge discounts right now, but that's because the lease rate is between 6-9 and 7%. Insane.
    So I don't think I can do it. Too bad. I've always wanted to try one. I can't afford to buy one right now.
    :cry:
    cheers,
    Cdndriver
  • Did you ever get an answer for this? I have the same issue on my 2005 9-3 SS.

I ran across a replacement turn signal stalk at eeuroparts.com for $30 which I may try. On another forum they recommended checking some sort of switch near the brake pedal. However from what you describe (and my problem as well) I am leaning toward some sort of short in the stalk itself.
  • I hink I have this exact same fault with my 2008 Saab 93.

The cruise stopped working, would not set or resume reliably, if it did set then it would cancel itself and slow from highway speeds without warning - not a great feeling and potentially dangerous.

Took it to the dealer 1 week after I bought it and they said they can't fault it, it's working fine - and it did work fine for a week then today it failed again after 120 miles or so of highway speeds on cruise.

I have noticed that it cancels if i go over the slightest bump in the road so I tested setting it then tapping the indicator stalk and yep it cancels, tested tapping steering wheel on the left side near the indicator stalk and yep it cancels.

I'm thinking it needs a new stalk first of all and then if that doesn't cure it the mount for the stalk at the base of the steering wheel.

As I've only had the car for 3 weeks now it's going back tomorrow under warranty. Will hopefully let you know how that goes.
  • Hey, thanks much for updating me with your progress.

I will be quite interested to hear what you find out as I have yet to replace my turn signal stalk. I'm still guessing that will solve the problem.

Good luck and keep me posted.
  • the posts on this forum helped convince me to buy a new '09 sportcombi, one of the last in the middle atlantic states, $12k discount, etc. Had it now 72 hrs and it rides better than any car i've owned, including mercedes, VW, acura and others. Love the acceleration, high speed lane change, stable ride feel at high speeds, and simplicity of internal controls. bluetooth set up was easy and system functions well. visibility and weight distribution seems very good. comfortable seating and multi adjustment possibilities helps this old back of mine. Although front dash cup holder seems wobbly and fragile, the rest of the experience is far above my expectations.

i would definitely recommend this vehicle to others and look forward to sharing my advice and receiving help from other forum members in the future. :)
  • ambulldogambulldog Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 9.3 Aero and the front air dam (?) is cracked and chipped and loose, other the car is pristine. Has anyone replaced one of these? Idea on pricing?
This discussion has been closed.