Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• I don't mean to be a pig on why I am disappointed in the Azera's pricing model but let me share some insights that justifies my concerns on why I need safety in the cost of ownership equation which for the Azera means cover your [non-permissible content removed] on the front end so you are not sitting on a book hit when you sell or trade at the Azera's end of life.

Here is a dose of valuable "cost of ownership" information based on Edmund's published numbers:

2002 Make/Model: DealerTrade,PrivateSale,Dealer Retail

XG350 Loaded: $7,632.00,$8,830.00,$10,850.00

Sonata GLS: $5,865.00,$7,004.00,$8,998.00

Corolla LE Manual: $8,872.00,$9,860.00,$11,695.00

I am using the Corolla against the top two 2002 Hyundai's, it's a more dismal cost of ownership calculation if I use the Camry or Avalon.

The Azera may ride like a freaking dream today but the cars don't maintain value. The Avalon is a far better deal at even 10K more.

I do like the rear end lights on the Azera I just don't want them blinking on my rear end when I try to sell/trade it in 2010. :D ">
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,722
    The information you provided are pretty meaningless unless you provide the original sales prices. Sure the trade in value of the Sonata is 2/3rds that of the Corolla, but how much would you have paid for both brand new?

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• You said, "I am using the Corolla against the top two 2002 Hyundai's, it's a more dismal cost of ownership calculation if I use the Camry or Avalon."
    How about posting the numbers for Camry and Avalon. That is more like apples to apples.
    Percentagewise, the basic cheapest car usually has the best resale value, like a Honda Civic base model does.
  • I use the calculation that a dollar is a dollar and that my money is my money. If you want to be protected against Azera's potentially poor residual value you better make sure you get your exposure covered with a discounted purchase price. Seems very logical to me.

Industry Brand Residual Value Rankings

Honda
    Toyota
    Nissan
    Volkswagen
    Jeep
    Subaru
    Mazda
    GMC
    Chrysler
    Ford

Only brands above the industry average were ranked. Below industry average were the following brands (listed in alphabetical order): Buick, Chevrolet, Dodge, Hyundai, Isuzu, Kia, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Pontiac, Saturn, and Suzuki.

www.alg.com american leasing group
  • the azeras have hit the streets in NC; my wife drove one yesterday. We're looking at leasing a Azera LTD without the Ultimate Package (no sunroof, rain senser wiper, no adjustable foot pedal, no high end radio) but still it seems to be a lot of car for the $$. We need the size, safety, features and comfort etc. We have test driven a lot of cars (mostly foreign) over the past year or so in order to find out what segment of vehicle we really needed (value) and wanted (like): Toy Avalon, 4runner, Highlander; Lexus RX330, ES330; Infinity M35; Hyundia Sonata; Honda Pilot, Accord, CRV; Acura MDX; Chevy Impala etc.
    So here we are, we think we want an Azera.
    My question is about leasing. I wanted to know ins and outs of leasing an Azera.
    We're looking for 39 months or 3 year or less lease with 15k miles a year.
    The Azera list approx $27k
    Help me out if you can here! :confuse:
  • My opinion is that Hyundai blew it with the Azera.

Very disappointing. Very me too. Very poor rollout.

Very limited selections. Very easy to look around the dealer lot at all the new 350's and pity current 350 owners.

I mean lets get serious people are pointing out that it has new fangled water activated wipers and nice lights.

Somehow I think the Japanese car company designers would at least have done the honorable thing and killed themselves if they invested the time and energy, capital budgets, and then staked their reputations on what turned out to be the 2006 Azera.

It's dead in the water.
    Again I say your numbers are meaningless without what the original purchase prices were. Saying car "A" is better than car "B" because its trade in value after 3 years is $3,000 more is a false statement if car "A" original cost is $4,000 more. So your figures are nothing without a starting point.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• jeffreidjeffreid Posts: 162
    If we take a look at resale values of Toyota/Honda 10-15 years ago, I have a deep feeling that they are not close to what they are today. In a very similar light, I would propose that your point on the Corolla and Avalon resale issues vs. the 2002 models Hyundai vehicles is a good point. However, when you roll out new (and might I add, VERY good products in the Azera, Sonata, and Tucson) products that the public sees are made well and hold up over time, those vehicles begin to bring more later on due to the fact that they are easier for a dealer to resell on their used car lots.

Now lets look and see something here. Would I rather drive a XG350 or an Azera? Would I rather drive a Sonata of any year (although my 2002 was pretty decent) vs. a 2006 Sonata that can run right with a Camry in every category, and be better in many? Point is, now that Hyundai has products that actually are as GOOD as their competition, not just "for the price", but straight-up, head-to-head, as good, you will see them over the next couple of years gain in trust and popularity. When you see that, you will, without a doubt, see resale values rise.

On one other thing. What do you mean on the very limited selections comment? I am confused on that. Do you mean current dealer inventories, or do you mean something about the car itself? The Camry is the best selling car in this country, and if it isn't "me too", I'm not sure what is. Mainstream buyers DO NOT flock to wild designs. That is just the way that it works. Especially, the Azera and Avalon's target audience.

If a car with more interior volume, more legroom (front), more torque (very close in HP), said Lexus quality interior in craftsmanship and quiet, a stellar warranty, and a great cost savings is blowing it, what do you want? If the car was better in EVERY respect to the Avalon, would it be dead in the water? I ask this b/c it DOES win a large number of the head-to-head battles, and it does it a lesser cost!! Oh, and in 5 years (when you want to trade)when the resale values are catching up, we'll have that too I guess.
  • Historical data 2002 models

Sonata 6cyc, cloth
    MSRP 15,499
    Invoice 14,104
    Dealer Trade 5,865
    Invoice - DT = 8,239

Corolla LE 4DR
    MSRP 12,723
    Invoice 11,511
    Dealer Trade 8,872
    Invoice - DT = 2,639

Avalon, XL 6cyc
    MSRP 25,845
    Invoice 23,000
    Dealer Trade 13,718
    Invoice - Dealer Trade = 9,282

If I'm spending money then for a thousand dollars difference I'm buying the Avalon. If I'm thinking that $5,600.00 is a lot of money then the Corolla is a slam dunk over the Sonata.
    There is a 27 month $299 lease that is running currently on Limited Azera's. With $2925 down. 12k miles a year.
  • Have you sat in one? Driven one?

The Azera is winning "heads up" competition as defined by their Marketing Dept.

I like my three Hyundai's performance, reliability, and styling. You just have to keep them in the family because they have limited value to the general market. That my friend is a cost of ownership issue.
    Yes, I have sat in and driven both. Have you? If you have driven both and can then tell me that the Azera is a total bust, when three very respected automotive sources (edmunds, cars.com and automobile.com) seem to say the exact opposite, I will have to listen to your argument ver carefully.

To be fair, I must say that I am looking around the cost ownership issue for the time being. Your point is VERY valid and is a very good thought to have in your mind. I am just talking about one car vs. another car. Head-to-head, regardless of the badges on them. Because btw, that is where all of your resale arguments are valid at. One car vs. another, I think you HAVE to say that it is VERY close, and with $4000 up front, it gets REALLY interesting.
    I'm curious as to where these numbers come from. My quick math says that a new Corolla is selling for around 12k. Your stats say that trade-in is 8872. That means that a dealer is going to try and retail that three year old vehicle for $11k after any detail work, or whatever? If they are not going to ask for some profit, why are they in business? You mean to tell me that people are comfortable paying 12k for a new car and then walking on that same lot and paying 11k for a 3 year old car? Seems a little crazy.

Also, the Sonata seems a little low. My other question is, how are you determining milage and color? I assure you that a white or silver will bring more than some horrible color that nobody wants, regardless of the brand.
    I didn't check your MSRP nor the invoice price but I did on the trade in value. Using each car as a 2002 with standard options and 42,000 miles I come up with this:

Sonata base $6,950 GLS $7,695 (not sure which trim you used but I also didn't check the LX) So your trade in value is way low.

Corolla LE 4 door $6,200 Your figure is way high

Avalon XL 6 cyc $11,540 again your figure is way high.

Source kelly Blue Book.

Now correct your figures more and we will talk.

• The Azera is winning "heads up" competition as defined by their Marketing Dept.

Somehow, I don't think Edmunds and Motorweek are parts of Hyundai's marketing dept.

Azera First Drive

Motorweek Review
  • What is the residual value based on?
    Is it Kelley trade-in value compared to original MSRP including options?
    Or something else?
    The order of car makes on the list would likely be very different if different comparisons are made than whatever comparisons were used to make that list.
    How about Kelley private party sale prices compared to actual new car sold prices including rebates and incentives, etc?
  • Bingo!

Exactly right. $4,000.00 - $4,500.00 off up front is where I see that buying the Azera is a great deal.
  • My figures are were taken directly from Edmunds.
  • Yeah, there are a lot of crazy used car buyers out there. The have the idea that a 3 year old car from a dealership is a better deal than a brand new car.
    They have that prejudice when they go shopping. They see the used car and then they look at a brand new one. The dealer has them both shined up and the buyer can't see any difference. Then he sees the new car sticker price including all the dealer pacs (haha. $3000 over MSRP) and thinks the new car is a rip-off compared to the used one which looks just like it for only 70% of the new car price.
    So he ends up buying the used car for the exact same price as what a little more enlightened shopper could have bought the brand new one for.
    A little bit crazy? Yeah!
    I know people like this. And I applaud them. Because of fat profits made on used cars being sold to them, the dealer is able to sell a brand new one to me once in while for 57% to 70% of MSRP (with no pacs!).
    Well as you can see I am not the only one who is questioning the validity of the figures you posted.

Oh well there you go ruined a perfectly good wisecrack :cry:

• Is it time to re-evaluate your response in light of changed circumstances?
    I did thank you :D

• this is the forst board i have logged into and given an opinion about anything.

do you people work at Hyundai or a Hyundai dealership ?

did you ever try and trade/sell a used Hyundai?

once the warranty is over you might as well paint a number on the side and enter them in the bomber class races on Friday nights at the local 1/4 mile dirt track.
    do you people work at Hyundai or a Hyundai dealership ?

I do not, my company makes trucks, big trucks.

The only cars I have ever sold were to junk yards since I drive them until they cannot be driven anymore. If it runs or can be kept running I keep it.

once the warranty is over you might as well paint a number on the side and enter them in the bomber class races on Friday nights at the local 1/4 mile dirt track.

My warranty is way over, just for grits and shins I took mine over to the local Carmax and they offered me a little over 2k for it (close to Kelly Blue Book value for it). So I know I have some value left in it. I think thats good seeing there is 130k miles on it and I only paid $12k for it.

• do you people work at Hyundai or a Hyundai dealership ?

Nope, I work for a major University in the northeast, and boy is it cold and snowy right now! :cry:

Again, nope. But I have had a devil of a time in the past getting decent trade-in values on the various Fords, Mercurys, Chryslers, and Chevy trucks that I have had. :sick:

Maybe the way some drive and maintain their vehicles. Me, I either run them to the ground, or trade them after the warranty has expired, which will be long time on my current 04 Sonata and 05 Tucson. :shades:
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    There is a 27 month lease program on the Azera. 53%residual, .00119 money factor and $1,000 lease rebate. It is being advertised at 299/mo for 12k miles per year with 2,925 cash down.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    I do work at a Hyundai dealership.

I have traded in and sold many used Hyundais.

Once the warranty is over, providing that you have done your maintenance, keep driving the car. Of course, most cars will last longer after their warranties expire because most warranties are 3 years, 5 at most. 10 years in one car is almost unheard of for the average American.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Admittedly, I am not completely familiar with the features of a Azera Limited plus ultimate pkg, but here are those that I believe a loaded Avalon has that the loaded Azera doesnt. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Driver's Side Knee Airbag
    Voice Command Navigation
    Smart Key Entry and Ignition system
    Dynamic Laser Cruise Control
    Reclining Rear Seat
    Driver's Seat Cushion extender
    HID Headlamps
    Steering Wheel Climate Controls
    Ventilated Front Seats

~alpha