Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• truethattruethat Posts: 123
    Remember how the Korean version of Azera (Grandeur) looked a little
    different from the front?
    I went to www.hyundai-motor.com and it seems they changed it to the
    version we'll see in the states.
    Let me show you how I did it. It's much easier than it sounds.
    You'll need Macromedia Flash player for this.

1. click here first.
    2. See the large picture? (That's Azera, BTW) At left bottom, it says
    "showroom" in English.
    3. Move the mouse to it (no clicking), then the menu appears(not a pop-up).
    4. Under "passenger cars", you'll see "Grandeur." Click that.
    5. A pop-up opens and menu on the left is actually in English.
    (maybe it's just me, but you might need to click the "grandeur" on top left corner
    of the pop-up window the first time - figuring this out took me a while. :P )
    6. Click the menus (especially exterior and interior) and play around. Of course
    you won't understand Korean explanations (or whatever they are), but they've
    got good number of quality pics.

NOTE: In "exterior" page, they have rear views separately. Click Korean letters
    right above the right arrow sign (bottom right), it'll take you to rear views.

ALSO, the "color & line up" page takes a while to load.

LASTLY, they must be using Sonata engines for Korean version of the Azera.
    (Maybe you knew that already)

That's it~ Enjoy. ;)

P.S. You can take the same steps to look at other models. Just choose a
    different model on step 4. I'm impressed with more upscale looking Sonata,
    so check that out if you're interested.
  • siasia1siasia1 Posts: 1
    nop~!!! 1030won = 1dollar, so 36000000won = 34951dollar, but it contains 8% special tax, 3% else tax and 10% sell tax,, so 22% tax,,, well,, it's price is under 30k, :)
  • choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    alot of good threads guys. I think this car will be the want to be the luxury car that could.
    Alot of general folks maybe turned off by hyundai or this new car, but one test drive and they mite not know what hit their feelings.

It will challenge the Avalon, fusion, Milan, Lacrosse and could even pry some TL, BMW 3, Audi A4 shoppers too who dont' care about name as much as luxury and size.

If i was like 35 or a corporate man, i would seriously want one of these
  • schuck1schuck1 Posts: 14
    It appears to me that the Korean version of the Azera has basically what everyone wants in the US. Hands free phone, DVD navigation, front and rear seat heat controls, sonar backup sensors, and on and on. Instead it is my understanding that the US version won't have a lot of these bells and whistles. I can understand the front seat DVD being used to watch DVD's but that is a minor change. Jaguar did it through software and made the screen only for navigation. Now, that being said, lets convince Hundai to import the rest of the options as they do in Korea!!

Steve
    All those electroic and secondary parts would creep up the price.
    To make sure Azera stays considerably cheaper than competition, they'd have
    to cut corners whereever they can.
    Also, since Hyundai is obsessed with quality, they might be afraid to put in so
    many features that can cause so many little annoying problems. And that won't
    help JD Power ratings. :P
    My guess is that they will use Korean market as testbeds and see if they can
    contain any possible long-term defaults. Then, they can start selling cars with
    more accessory features.

Just my opinion...
    in korea the azera is their bmw 7 series car in comparison. So those options are needed for different kinds of buyers. In north america hyunday will compete with the avalon and acura TL and have to stay priced under them, even their top of the line compared to the competition. However if sales go well, i will hope that those options in a year or two could be offered(btw in korea theres no way of a clean parking 60 percen t of the time, so a rear sensor is a serious thing)
    I get what you mean, but it's hardly BMW7 series even in Korea.
    Trust me bro, it is like the bmw7(or closest thing to it now)

They also have other cars like the equuas , the chariman etc. and though they are RWD, they are very poor executed RWD cars.

Alot of big business people who prefer hyundai, will buy this car now. Though alot of koreans still love the actual bmw 7's and e class cars
  • It is very true that the Grandeur is very popular and well-respected in South Korea. The 'Grandeur' nameplate is iconic in it's reputation.

You have to realize that most wealthy Korean businessmen do not drive their own vehicles - they are usually driven to and from their destinations by chauffeurs. Therefore, vehicles like the Equus are much more desirable due to their larger passenger space (assumption).

And you have to take into account Korean's obsession with class and rank. The Equus is a higher range car, and therefore will automatically be preferred over the Grandeur.

It's kind of interesting how in Korea, Hyundai competes head to head with these higher end marques. I think Hyundai definitely needs a separate luxury marque - if not in the US - definitely in Korea.
  • http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200508/kt2005080320031011870.htm

According to the Korea Times, the Grandeur XG is now the bestseller in Korea. In Korea, both the current gen XG and the next gen Azera are sold side by side. The current XG is called Grandeur and the next gen Azera is called the Grandeur XG in Korea.

The Grandeur XG sold 8,549 units, in comparison to No. 2 (Samsung SM7) with 1,667 units.

Also, it is said the Grandeur XG took away sales from higher-end level Sonata sedans as the Grandeur was released.

Meanwhile, sales of lower-end models such as the Verna, Avante, Kalos, and Click all slid due to the "rich get richer and poor get poorer" phenomenom currently taking hold in Korea.
    I don't think so.
    Do you even realize the price difference in Korea? Not to mention the difference
    in engine capacity? (The biggest engine used in Grandeur is V6 3.3L, same
    engine used in US sonatas.)

They have BMW, Lexus, MB, Audi (and soon Infiniti) competing in the market
    for a segment that the 7-series competes in. They even sell Maserati. The market
    is obviously quite small, and there are a lot less distinction within the luxury
    sedan segments but that does not mean that people consider Azera as the same
    (or even similar) level as BMW7. Don't tell me Azera competes against BMW7,
    that's just ridiculous.
    please read carefully. I said the grandeur is like for the koreans that the 7 series is for the us. The actual 7 series is considered like a bentley in korea. BMW 7 series goes for almost 150, 000 grand.

the grandeur is about 40-45 thousand dollars in korea(more expensive than will be sold in the us)
    That's just ridiculous. Stop saying that.
    Even considering the difference in average incomes between two countries, no
    one in Korea has that kind of high regard for grandeur. Sure, it's more luxurious
    from Korean standards, but Grandeur does not have that kind of stature.
    You are wrong, and some people find your comments offensive. If I were a Korean
    living in Seoul, (and have certain interests in cars), I'd be offended.
    I don't know if you are Korean or not, but if you said something like that to a
    discussion board in a Korean website, I'm sure you'd meet some angry people.
    I hate to turn the messageboard into pointless discussions (and yet I did it again).
    Shame on me.

MSRP guesses? I find myself moving quickly up the laddar of vehicle tree. I was considering (and was very close to buying) Sonata for a while, but I am waiting
    and trying to save more money for something more expensive.

I know XG350 starts around 25,000. I keep hearing Azera will start below 30,000,
    but how much below are we talking about? I'll be able to buy Azera for camry
    money right (so to speak, I guess)?
    If a cellphone in korea and japan that has 7 megapixels but worth like a 2 megapixels one down in the states for the same price because of technological advanacement differences, why is that an offense to the us or anyone??

It is the same in korea. The average income in korea is 15 grand us a year. The grandeur is prob the most luxurious car out now with all sorts of equipments even though its a front drive.

In the states the 7 series is prob one of the most luxurious sedans for a the common people. So how is my comment offensive?

Someday i'm sure hyundai will come with a 7 series fighter, but up till now , the grandeur is the comparison.

Please stop freaking out, and i'm done with this arguing with you
  • Let's keep the focus on the Azera that will debut in the US, please. The argument about Hyundai competing with the 7-Series in Korea is off-topic in this discussion.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• notes from the host. In my post above, I did not imply that "just one more post on this topic" would be acceptable.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I don't think it helps much by erasing the posts, but a host has that kinda power.
    For the record, I find the host's last remark as snappy and useless as any one of
    our comments.

Anyhow...
    What are people's take on the name? Azera.
    I would have to say it's one of the worst name Hyundai could have come up with.
    Yes, I heard it means "era of A to Z" and all, but it sounds so weird and unfitting
    for a car that's supposed represent the finest of any automaker.
    I tend to think keeping the XG or even TG380 would have been a lot nicer. Or even
    Grandeur for that matter. (Maybe people will laugh at it given Hyundai's
    reputation?)

The photos seem to have different front grille designs (In that some
    photos seem to indicate thicker cromes than others). Am I seeing things?
    If not, which one is real?
    I like thinner versions better (if there was such a thing).

See what I'm talking about? The top part is thick anyways, but the sides of
    the grille (and the bottom) looks much thinner in the auto show pic.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    The top pic has a 3-slat grille, the bottom pic has a 4-slat grille, and some spy photos show a scallop-style vertical grille. Hyundai likes to use different grille inserts in different markets.
    vertical grilles? Are you serious? I've never seen one.
    So, which one are we going to see in the US market?