Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• If keeping the price as low as possible is your greatest goal, maybe you should try to find either an '05 Accent or '05 Elantra GLS. Amazingly, with rebates, they both cost about the same even though the Elantra has power everything, cruise, etc. According to Carsdirect.com, you can get an '05 Elantra for $11,600. A great deal by anyone's standard.

You also get the 100k warranty, which will help keep the price down on mechanical repairs over the life of the car. Something no used car can offer!
  • delta4delta4 Posts: 138
    The 2006 Accent site is now live.

Check it out here:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/accent/accent.aspx
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,630
    I tried it and I think there is a little glitch in it--the MSRP for a loaded Accent with automatic and the PS package came to $27,260 USD! :surprise:

Also it did not add any charge for freight (which I expect will be around $500), and there was no way to ask for floor mats (which probably cost about $80).
  • :surprise: I purchased a 2006 Accent this October, I love it except that I don't know how well its going to fare this winter. So far, with only a little bit of snow I have been sliding around, which is quite scary. With a huge snow dump last week,I have found that the wheel wells fill up way too quickly (with packed snow)which leads to the steering wheel shaking at even low speeds. The wipers are garbage for winter also. What I am wondering is has anyone made it thru a winter season with their original tires, or are winter tires a must??
    Welcome to winter! Do you have the Accent hatchback (old design) or the new '06 Accent 4-door sedan? They are much different cars. For one thing, the '06 4-door has standard ABS, which should help in the winter.

The wheel shaking is not due to snow in the wheel wells but inside the wheels, causing the wheels to be off-balance. I've noticed that before a number of times on many different cars over the years. It's easy to correct--wash off the wheels or scrape off the snow.

Most OEM wipers are worthless for winter. Do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of heavy-duty wipers at your local auto parts store. They can help you find the size for your Accent.

If you get a lot of snow, then winter tires might be a good investment. I've done ok with small cars and regular all-season tires, but I live in a city where snow plowing is an art form, so I rarely have to deal with more than 3-4" of snow on the roads.
  • jprybajpryba Posts: 201
    Maybe $27,260 is the Canadian price :)
  • At that price, I'll take a Sonata with a side of Accent!!!
  • Actually, it looks like what it's doing is adding the base price PLUS the price of it as you configure it. Look to the left when you build it and you'll see the figures.

Mine was base of $12,455 and with options $13,955 for a grand total of $26,410.
    Edmunds.com has the invoice pricing up now for the '06 Accent 4-door. A fully loaded car is $15,330, and invoice is about $1000 under that. The PS package is only $1420, not $1500 as reported, and mats are $65.

Compared to a loaded Elantra GLS, the difference is a little under $1000 sticker-wise but only about $700 invoice-wise. And the Elantra has a $1000 general rebate on it that the Accent does not. So guess what? The larger, roomier Elantra with moonroof, cruise, and traction control actually costs less than the Accent right now. However, the Accent has six airbags vs. four for the Elantra, and the Accent also has alloys and a more powerful audio system. It will be interesting to watch the initial sales reaction to the Accent with the prices a little higher than its bigger brother.
  • jordisjordis Posts: 10
    You could not have bought the Accent 2006, it is not even out yet. It is the 2005 which is nothing to compareimage
    The 2006 Accent 3-door hatchback has been available for awhile, but it is the Accent design from 2000-on, not the new design like the 2006 4-door sedan.
  • It'll be similar to the new Rio in comparison to the Spectra. The Rio is selling at or near sticker price and Spectra can be had at significant discounts. $13,500 will put you into a Spectra EX (no ABS) or Rio LX (with ABS). Wonder how Spectra sales are faring since the intro of the new Rio?

The Elantra sales probably will suffer, at least at first. The new Accent does look better, IMO. Although, the Elantra has features like moonroof and cruise control that aren't availble on Accent. The good news is, if the new Accent is this good, imagine how great of a car the '07 Elantra will be. I just hope they don't go too conservative on the styling (like they did on the Sonata).
    I like the looks of the Accent's interior better than the Elantra's, but I don't mind the exterior looks of the Elantra. And the Elantra has more interior room, especially in the back seat, than the Accent. Plus the moonroof, cruise, and (important for me here in Minnesnowta) traction control. Even the fuel economy of the stick cars is not that much different, but the Elantra is at least 2 seconds quicker 0-60. I'm not sure the Accent has an adjustable lumbar support, either.

The only real plusses for me with the Accent over the Elantra are better head protection in a side impact (due to the curtain airbags), better fuel economy (especially with the automatics), and a nicer-looking interior. If the Elantra costs less OTD when it's time for me to buy, it will be a hard decision to go with the newer Accent over the Elantra, unless maybe the Accent gets "Good" in all the IIHS crash tests.
  • delta4delta4 Posts: 138
    Came across this recent review from Autoweek. Some highlights they mentioned are the standard safety equipment such as six airbags, ABS with brake-force-distribution. The reviewer also mentions the "safe handling" characteristics of the re-designed Accent.

No mention of the interior quality or noise levels but the article does take note of the triple door seals and driver side armrest. Seems like the latter is going to be a big deal especially for cars in this class which are not known for having creature comfort features such as these.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051226/FREE/51214006/1004
  • Hyundai dealer here in Pocatello, Idaho not only has no '06 Accents on their lot but they also have none available when you search for new cars on their Internet website, either. They have no '06 Accents and also no '05 Accents or even '04 Accents. What's with their Accent void?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Perhaps this dealer has chosen not to accentuate the Accent.
  • I heard from 3 dealers in Seattle that they have them in stock. I'm going to drive (and maybe buy) one this Saturday.
    Cool, be sure to tell us how it goes! Also, if you have time, maybe you could drive the Accent and Elantra GLS back-to-back and compare the two, since they are about the same price out the door now, or actually the Elantra is a little less with current rebates.
  • I'm also looking forward to your driving the '06 Accent. Make sure and report on the car when you're finished.

My local dealer has some Elantra's for what I think are really reasonable prices. They're in the $13,299-$13,750 range and I haven't gotten out of the Sportage 4x4 to look at how they're equipped but, knowing Hyundai, they're no doubt close to loaded.

I'm thinking of e-mailing or calling Lithia Hyundai of Pocatello, ID, up to inquire about their total lack of accentuating the Hyundai Accent! Whaddup widdat, dudes? :D

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    Here in SO FL most Hyundia dealers are still awaiting delivery of their first 06 Accent. The few dealers that got lucky were dropped off one or two vehicles. One dealer said that the area Factory Rep. said that the hold up is at the port. Hyundia is playing Santa and checking his list and checking it twice before shipping units to dealers. All dealers should have able supply within two weeks. Guess Hyundia is hoping to have a smooth defect free introduction of the new Accent. Its gonna be a tough sell though at the beginning. With a list of $15.400 loaded and no rebates or cheap financing, most will wait a bit till the hesteria abates and discounts become the rule rather then the exception! Patience everyone......