Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• sonatabeansonatabean Posts: 201
    I swear I remember reading something about concerns about crash ratings (which appears to influence the availability of sunroofs too, apparently).

It's a vague memory - which means I could also be misremembering, too.

I have been known to do that - but perhaps putting this idea out there will allow others who keep up on these things in more detail to comment???
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    I think you are referring to the Honda Fit. There have been several queries as to why the North American Fit is not available with a sunroof, whereas in other countries the Fit/Jazz has a sunroof option. I've heard people say that the North American Fit does not have a sunroof because of crash safety concerns.

One of the reasons the Accent 3-door appeals to me is because it is available with a moonroof. I sure hope Hyundai doesn't change their minds on this option.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    Hyundai has been featuring the moonroof in their marketing for the Accent SE, so it looks definite.

Keep in mind the Fit was designed before the latest crash tests (i.e. IIHS side impact) were designed. That may explain why Honda had to ditch the moonroof for the U.S. Fit. The '07 Accent SE, however, is a new design so Hyundai could take the crash tests into account when adding the moonroof.
    Keep in mind the Fit was designed before the latest crash tests (i.e. IIHS side impact) were designed.

You may well be right - while I like to follow auto news, I don't follow terribly CLOSELY in my reading.

One thing I personally want to know is if the 4-door sedan will be available in SE trim.

Sorry 'bout the brain fart on my part: I think the comment above by shado4 is probably accurate.
    One thing I personally want to know is if the 4-door sedan will be available in SE trim.

Good question. I believe that in the last iteration, the "sport" version of the Accent (Accent GT?) was only available as a 3-door.

Maybe Hyundai will extend the SE trim to the 4-door at a later date if enough people start yelling for it. :)

As it stands now, the 3-door SE is shaping up to be a nice little commuter car that could give you some fun in the twisties, provide some nice MPGs, and give you a lot of amenities not found in the competition. The only holdback is no cruise control, but upon reflection I haven't used the cruise control in my Elantra for over a year.
    An SE 4-door would be a sweet package, especially with the 5-spoke 16" wheels, high-zoot stereo (I could play my old cassettes!), and moonroof. I just hope they don't add ground effects--those don't work too well in winter and with most curbs.

I have seen a lot of complaints about the lack of cruise control (e.g. look at the consumer feedback on the Accent here at Edmunds.com--it is quite favorable except for the lack of cruise). So I have hopes that Hyundai will add it in the near future.

Since the Accent uses a conventional throttle (not drive-by-wire), a 3rd-party cruise should be feasible too.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I could swear I have seen the 4-door with cruise?!?!

Actually, what I am rather psyched about are the news in the Hybrid forums that a Hybrid Accent is coming (and is, apparently, already out in Korea) with about 40% improved MPG.

Given the latest predictions on fuel, that 45 - 50 MPG number (derived via the 40% improvement) would be mighty sweet.
    You can't be wrong if you have actually seen the 2006 Accent with cruise! But it is not currently available as a factory option.

A hybrid would be nice, and would compete directly with the rumored Fit hybrid. But I am not too interested in a hybrid that cannot run on its own on eletric power for a short distance. I drove the Accord hybrid and I was really put off by the way the engine restarts the moment you move forward after a stop. Not very good in stop-n-go traffic. The info I've seen says that Hyundai's hybrid system is similar to Honda's.
  • skikiddskikidd Posts: 7
    Finally got my email returned....though the answer was not helpful :mad:

Unfortunately there is no official release date as of yet. The 2007 Accent will be available in the near future. Please feel free to contact us at a later time for further information. We do apologize for the frustrations.
    At least it was coherent.

You should see one of the posts for the '08 Corolla. Very "All your base are belong to us! You have no chance to survive: make your time."
    The 2007 Accent will be available in the near future.

Hyundai can't get any more vague than that, can they! :confuse:

I think backy may be on to something. Look for the 2007 Accent on the last day of spring. The elusive SE will be seen by July 4th, though no one will have a camera to prove its existence and it will be treated as a figment of someone's imagination. :P
    It takes lots of resources (money, people) to launch a new model. It's hard to do more than one at a time. Hyundai just got the Entourage rolling. The new Santa Fe is due in dealers in June-July (we know it's already coming out of the Alabama plant). The new Elantra is slated to follow the Santa Fe. So that means... the Accent 3-door should be coming around reeeal soon-like.

I just wonder if the '07 sedan will be launched at the same time, or wait until fall.
  • vermonter16vermonter16 Posts: 29
    I'm bummed that the Accent is taking so long to get on dealer's lots. I've been checking my dealer's lot and they had dwindled down to 4 accents...I thought surely that that was a sign that the 07 Accents would be coming in soon...NOT! They just got a shipment of like 15 - 20 06 Accents and that just plain sucks. When will the hatchbacks come in? I need a car soon and wanted to compare.... I originally wanted the Yaris (it's so cute) but the liftbacks coming out don't have ABS or anything like that... So now I'm forced to lean towards the XA...and I don't like it!!! But I'll have to get it if Hyundai doesn't get their butt in gear soon!
    the Accent 3-door should be coming around reeeal soon-like.

Are you sure you don't work for Hyundai? That sounds like something they would say! ;)

I really, really, really want to see the Accent SE in person. I used to own a Mazda 323 3-door and that was probably my favorite little runabout, until it was trashed in an accident. I still miss that car to this day. I don't know, there's something about small personal vehicles that appeal to me.
    You know....until the last few messages I didn't even realize that the Accent did not come with cruise control...now I'm bummed about that too. I love my cruise control. This is supposed to be a commuter car for me but it would be nice to be able to take it on some trips if I wanted to. And at 4am driving down the interstate 30 miles to work...sometimes my speed can get out of control so cruise control keeps me in check... Sheesh... All I wanted was a stinkin' little 2 door car with cruise...and nobody is offering it. Maybe the VW Rabbit that is coming out...but I am looking for something in the $14K range.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Update: I have just learned the Accent hatchbacks are quickly ramping up production and rolling off the factory floor as we speak. Expect them to hit showroom in the next few weeks...
    I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! Although I'm still disappointed regarding the cruise - I'm still looking for a car in a certain price range and the accent is really the only one that I like...as far as looks and what you get. If it's just a couple of weeks...I can hold out! I just want to know that they are going to be out there when I need one.
    Looks like HMA will barely beat the "spring 2006" prognostication for the 2007 Accent 3-door. Typical marketeers! :P
    As Mr. Burns would say..."Excellent!"

Wonder what exterior colors will be available with the SE? I'm guessing white, black, silver, red, blue, and maybe an orange. Do you think yellow would be too over the top?

I also wonder if the 35+ accessories Hyundai is promising for this car will be ready at the time the Accent hatchback is available for sale. A little personalization goes a long way to making your car unique.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Of course...technically they have until June 21 or 22, or whenever before the first day of summer :)

Seriously though, if the longer wait means Hyundai working out all of the kinks and bugs, then I'm all for it!