Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,692
    I got to drive a SE exactly like the one in your photo tonight. It was red, fully loaded with the sunroof/CD changer package, and (unfortunately) an automatic. Other than the leisurely pickup with the automatic, I was very impressed by the car. The handling was great--at least on par with the Fit. Cornering was flat. We took some 25 mph cloverleafs at 50 with no drama, not a whimper from the tires. The ride was firm, as expected, but not harsh. It was a good trade-off with the softer ride (but looser handling) of the GLS sedan. It was more compliant than on my Elantra GT. The chassis was rock-solid, much better than on the Elantra. Not a rattle or squeak to be heard. The upside of the automatic was that the car was quiet at cruise, and the tall gearing kept the revs down on the highway.

The 8-way adjustable driver's seat was very comfortable, with firm cushioning that should be good for long trips. Even with the sunroof, I had plenty of headroom (5'10") but there wasn't nearly as much as sans sunroof--might be a problem for taller drivers. There's a cutout in the roof liner in back, so headroom seemed the same in back as it is w/o the sunroof--just enough for me. Legroom was also OK for me sitting behind myself, quite good for such a small car.

I think this would be a real fun car with a stick (especially the short-throw option). There's a cold-air intake option to add a little more power, but the power is adequate for my needs. Also the price of the base SE would be more palatable. The list on this one was over $16.7k. (There was a dealer sticker for another $599 for a 3-day money-back guarantee, a lifetime tire warranty, and pinstriping--LOL!) For that, I could get a nicely-equipped 2007 Elantra SE. But for $14.5k less discount and (hopefully) a rebate or two, the base Accent SE would be a great buy.
  • TOP losers:
    Accent down a record 59%!
    Sonata down 13%
    Elantra down 30%!

"September sales totaled 33,384, down 13 percent compared with September 2005 due to limited availability of all-new Accents and Elantras. Plant slowdowns this summer in Korea and strong worldwide demand for these vehicles contributed to this situation."

Suuure. Because people are just waiting in line at Hyundai dealerships, salivating for an Accent sticked at $16.7K. Right. Fit, Versa, Rabbit, New Sentra anyone?
    http://www.hyundainews.com/Corporate_News/Sales_Releases/10_03_2006_1806.asp

Once again confirming that consumers don't want to buy the "new" Accent, an overpriced, poorly constructed vehicle. Throw in $3K in rebates and people will consider the Accent.

Not surprising though from a company that can't spell it's own cars ("Sontata")
    I guess they need to pay those web content interns more money!

Here's a note from the press release that may explain the lower sales numbers for Accents (and Elantras):

September sales totaled 33,384, down 13 percent compared with September 2005 due to limited availability of all-new Accents and Elantras. Plant slowdowns this summer in Korea and strong worldwide demand for these vehicles contributed to this situation.

The low availability of these cars was confirmed by a dealer I talked with recently.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Please calm down before I go nit-pick about every VW issue (and trust me they far exceed Hyundai). There are circumstantial reasons for the drop-off, and they will be made up since now everything is back on track.

Mind you this is the second or third monthly loss YOY for Hyundai during the past few years...geesh!!

And by the way, Hyundai Accent GS & SE are hot, especially. Most dealers are selling every allocation they receive, in very short time, I should mention...
    I can confirm how hot the Accent hatches are in my area. I found only one SE, an automatic, within 25 miles (5 dealers) of me when I looked around a few days ago. Some dealers had 2-3 GSes. They had fewer GLSes. I suspect the 2006s are near sold out and the 2007s are slow in arriving--or they just sell quickly.
  • Yes the 2007 SEs are very slow in arriving especially the manual transmissions. I just bought one and the dealer had to have it brought in from approx 300 miles away. Be patient or wait within 5 or 6 days of the end of the month and your dealer may be motivated to find you one.
    Good luck
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Backy, Hyundai had labor strikes and other grief this past year, and their production is way down. Accents may be popular, but they are also in very short supply due to production shortages.
    Based on my perusal of my local dealer yesterday, I'd say it's the Accent SEs and GLSes with power package and Accents with MTs that are in short supply. They had a good supply of GSes and GLSes w/o the power package. They had a couple of loaded (all options including AT) SEs--no 5-speed Accents at all. Either they aren't shipping many MT Accents, or the Accents with MTs and popular options like ABS and power windows/locks/mirrors are being snapped up quickly.
  • I just visited a local dealer to check out the Accent and Elantra - I actually drove to the very rear of the dealership so I could scope out the cars undisturbed.

Naturally, the typical glad-handling, grinning salesman hunted me down and tried to sell me a car.

I think he lied to me, too: I understand the Accent is just plain not available with cruise.

The smarmy salesman insisted the Accent WAS available with cruise.

I dug in my heels a bit and, towards the end of the exchange, with a bit of exasperation, the salesman suggested that "... adding cruise to a 2007 Accent is not difficult."

So - did Hyundai finally add cruise for the US market?

If not, can one add cruise to an Accent via aftermarket addition?

If one does add cruise, will it void any Hyundai warranties?

:confuse:
    Yes, those are poor scores and takes the Accent off my "consider" list, which is unfortunate because I like the car otherwise. Pretty amazing Hyundai would let the design go forward knowing these would be the crash test results.

If Hyundai doesn't address this issue aggressively, it will definitely hurt sales since there are other small cars out there available with standard SABs that did much better in the IIHS tests. The fact that the IIHS released the results tells me Hyundai doesn't plan to do anything in the near future, otherwise it's typical for the IIHS to hold up publishing the results before the manufacturer has made some modifications and requested a re-test.
  • Well stated.

The fact is, Hyundai would rather save money and equipp its cars with air bags aplenty, then actually spend the R&D and manufacuring costs to produce a safe structered car. Hyundai does have a ways to go.
    The puzzling thing is, since Hyundai has done pretty well in crash safety on their other "24x7" designs, particularly with the Entourage, it's really strange they didn't emphasize crash safety more with the Accent.
  • Costs had to be cut somewhere and safety was the one to go on the Accent. But this should be no surprise to anyone that has test driven or even opened the doors on an Accent. They always felt thin and flimsy to me, far more so than the Fit or Rabbit, and even far more so than other Hyundai models (Sonata has nice solid doors).

If I was Hyundai, I'd drop the Accent line completely. They don't sell well and all the model does is hurt the reputation of the other models that are decent.
    Like other automakers, Hyundai needs an entry-level model to draw new buyers into the brand. And believe it or not, many of these buyers don't put crash safety anywhere near the top of their requirements list. :sick: I've seen that opinion stated many times in Town Hall.

Also, we don't know yet how Hyundai will respond to these results, or whether it's possible to improve them without major changes to the car.
  • I see VW America's strident little web intern is back: I bothered to check out the IIHP results.

Here they are. Not far off what German Car Employee reports . . . but not exactly fully truthful (as usual), either.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=586

#560 of 565 Another nail in the Accent coffin: IIHS by germancarfan1

Dec 19, 2006 (6:46 am)

Well, if you needed another reason not to buy the Accent, here it is: Awful IIHS scores. It's pretty much a death trap.

Side impact: POOR
    Rear impact: POOR
    Front impact: Acceptable
  • In the interest of full disclosure, here's the full set of test results.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=715
    Actually, germancarfan1's post re the Accent's scores was accurate. They were Acceptable overall on frontal impact, Poor overall on side impact, and Poor on rear impact.

"Death trap" is hyperbole of course, but worst-in-class on crash tests is not a good thing--especially for a car company that touts the safety of its cars at every opportunity.
    I think Hyundai has to build the Accent and Rio to be cost competitive in Asian and Latin markets; even low-end Euro. In Asian markets, they don't have much in the way of airbags, even front airbags (passenger front airbags are even extra cost options on Toyotas in Thailand!).

So to make the Accent/Rio "upscale" for America, Hyundai just installs the extra gear it's easy to leave out in Asian markets. But the cost of the basic "chassis" isn't increased across the board.

Honda uses high strength steels in selected areas of the Fit, and Subaru and Volvo do the same. VW does extra chassis spot welding on its Golf/Rabbit/Jetta series to increase body rigidity. I suspect Hyundai on the Accent/Rio, and Chevy/Daweoo on the Aveo, use cheaper steels, with fewer inventory tracking issues, and fewer welds. Thus the basic costs, which impact every market (including Asia and Latin America) aren't driven up. It's not a question of lacking technical expertise to build a tougher body structure, its the need to keep basic costs down.

In Hyundai's defense, and Chevy's defense, they DO give you side protection - side protection that will work a lot better in MOST side crashes. I question whether the Fit is actually that much more "survivable" than the Hyundai/Aveo if you up the crash speed or crash vehicle weight. The failure zone is very narrow indeed, and a vehicle that you can survive nicely at 30 might fail at 35 or 37 or 40...but it's not like there's going to be a BIG spread in survivability speeds/weights.

The Insurance Institute itself pretty much tells us you are better off in a larger car.

Yeah, death trap is hyperbole. BUT Hyundai is creating a serious perception gap by building tough minivans and fragile minicars - I wouldn't want my kid in one, even with all those airbags. On the other hand, it's getting harder and harder to imagine buying any vehicle without side curtain airbags these days, and I am a real car fanatic, it's taken the last 5 years for it to sink in how important these side curtain airbags are.

Meanwhile, a friend at work won't even upgrade to a post-1995 car with side impact beams; she's driving around in a beamless Camry, lot of protection there, huh, even less...much less... than the last ranked modern cars.
    Hyundai does claim to use high-strength steel in the Accent. It did get Acceptable on the frontal crash, with the main reason it didn't get Good seeming to be the likelihood of a leg injury. Not great, but not life-threatening. Maybe not enough high-strength-steel got into the sides of the car.

It is a plus that the Accent has standard side bags and curtains. At least heads are protected well. The people sitting in front might get serious injuries, but at least their brains won't be scrambled. And it appears kids travelling in back would be fairly well protected also.

So I'd rather drive an Accent with its side bags than a Yaris or Cobalt or (fill in name) without them, but with small cars like the Fit, Civic, and Rabbit available with standard side bags and ABS--and very good crash test scores--and the Versa with very good crash scores and at least the promise of ABS, I don't see any reason anymore to plunk my money down on an Accent. Especially since this is a car my daughter will be driving in a few years.
    I agree with you. I'd like to do another car change now, but with more cars soon to come standard with side curtain airbags, it would be foolish of me to get anything without them right now... the Versa definitely looks intriguing, but the Rabbit 2 door is better equipped and cheaper than the SL Versa. Of course the 4 door Rabbit IS way more expensive. Choices. Always choices.

The 2008 Focus, for example, will get standard side curtain airbags. Right now they have combo bags for the front occupants only. A ZX3 hatchback with standard side curtain airbags would be easy to shop for, at a big discount.
    I heard a rumor the Focus hatches were to be discontinued??

Anyway, on the Accent, there are a lot of good choices and more coming. Assuming that the new Elantra scores well in the IIHS tests (not a given of course), it's price compared to a comparably-equipped Accent isn't that much more. If Hyundai decides to put a general rebate back on the Elantra, it will be hard to move those Accent sedans.
    Sorry to reply to my own post, but I saw something in today's NY Times article on the IIHS tests that reinforced my statement of:
    And believe it or not, many of these buyers don't put crash safety anywhere near the top of their requirements list.

Here's what the NY Times article said:

But dealers say their customers rarely are willing to pay more for side air bags or wait longer for a vehicle equipped with them.

Brett Younger, general manager at Champion Toyota in Philadelphia, said most shoppers wanted a Yaris "as inexpensive as we can get it in an automatic." Parents buying the vehicle for a younger driver child often request side air bags, which have been in short supply in parts of the United States since the Yaris went on sale, Mr. Younger said, but other buyers see the $650 add-on as unnecessary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/19/automobiles/19auto.html?ref=business?8dt&emc=d- - t
  • That sort of news creeps me out.

Ever spent any time in a head-trauma unit? The kind where people will spend the rest of their days on a positive-pressure tracheal vent, drool off their chin, and no sense of anything-whatsoever-at-all?

Good old coup-countercoup brain injuries will do that.

Give me the airbags: I have no desire to have my brain popping around the inside of my head like Jiffy-pop in does the pan.
    I'm not sure what's going on with the hatches in the Focus line. Production has already ceased on the slow selling wagon, and the 5 door hatchback is a slow seller.

The question is, don't they need more than just the sedan? They are admittedly introducing a 2 door coupe, and that could potentially threaten the 3 door hatch, but I have a coupe now (Cobalt) and can assure you and every other reader out there that you can't beat a hatchback for versatility - it's a "mini wagon."
    I have a hatchback too and love it. I'd rather get a hatch for my next new car (the Accent SE was in the running, but not anymore!), but I don't absolutely have to have one because we also have a minivan. But maybe this is a good thread for the "Which Hatchbacks?" discussion...
  • The new Accent and Rio are dead to me! (and I really liked that stupid Accent 3-dr...)
  • eskool16eskool16 Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am a clueless, young, female relatively-new car owner. My car is due for inspection in July and I'm not sure what the protocol is for this.

Should I schedule an appointment with a Hyundai dealership? or is it sufficient to go to the closest certified mechanic?
    What paperwork should I take with me to be prepared?
    How long should I expect to be there (this car is about 3-4 yrs old and doesn't have any problems that i've noticed after driving it on a day-to-day
    basis)?
    any other pertinent information that might prevent me from embarrassing myself in front of these people?

thanks in advance for your help!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860
    The answer may vary depending on what state you live in. Here in PA, most vehicles need an emmissions inspection before the safety inspection.

Since you haven't posted a lot about the car other than age, it's possible you MIGHT need tires, or perhaps brake pads will be worn down to where they won't pass, things like that. Light bulbs, dash lights, all sorts of little things have to pass as well, so there's no real way to say how long it might take. How busy the place you take it is at the time will factor in too, but I'd guess a minimum of 1-1.5 hours, a bit more if they have to replace brakes or whatever.

Registration and insurance cards are certainly things you'll need with you for inspection.

Your dealership is an OK place for inspection, but any certified inspection station should do. If any parts are needed, the dealership MAY have faster access to them.

Give a quick call to the dealership service department and ask them. I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you what you need.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Does anyone know if anyone besides Hyundai publishes repair manuals or CD Roms for a 2007 Hyundai Accent SE? I have a set of Hyundai shop manuals and I was just wondering if perhaps Chilton, Haynes, Etc. had manuals
  • Does anyone know if there were any changes or improvements made to a 2008 Hyundai Accent from a 2007 model?