Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• flubukflubuk Posts: 2
    They really should sell the 5-door accent. Super practical, cool looking and what the whole rest of the world drives (have you traveled outside the U.S. - everyone drives a 5 door hatch).

Any pics of the 5 door Accent?
  • sandpapersandpaper Posts: 60
    The thing is... is Hyundai and Scion really competing with each other?

Ask any 18 year old to choose between a Hyundai and a Scion. They will obviously choose the Scion, the 'hipper' car. If Hyundai wants to truly compete with Scion, they need to spice their model a bit to make it less conservative.

Even the new Sonata looks less conservative.

Highly disappointed. I think Hyundai seriously needs to add some spazz into their line up. The quality is there; now they need to focus on the 'image'.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    From the 2006 Rio website the fuel economy numbers look like this:

Manual 32 City/ 35 Hwy
    Auto 29 City/ 38 Hwy

You would think 2006 Accent would be about the same.

A good improvement over 2005, but the highway mpg for the manual should be 38-41 especially with the auto's numbers.

2006 KIA RIO
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,695
    It is possible that Kia has geared the manual to wring as much performance out of the little engine, vs. max economy--aiming the manual car at buyers who want sportiness vs. economy. If that is indeed the case, then it's not a given that the 5-speed Accent will have the same numbers as the Rio, since Hyundai may decide to gear its car differently. We'll see pretty soon when the EPA numbers for the Accent arrive.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    That's what happened to the Scion xB. Think the 5 speed was turning at 3500 rpm @ 70 mpg. It was on the short list but not with that racket. Made it unusable as a long distance car as far as I was concerned.
    I agree csandsteI; I don't won't a dog, but this is not a fast high rpm sports car. It should be economy oriented, and 35 highway with the manual doesn't get it. Even the heavier and completely non-aerodynamic Xb can get 35 on the highway.

They should have broken the mold and put in a 6 speed manual. You get the feel of speed up through 5th, and then stick it in 6th for maximum highway fuel economy.
    A six speed in a $10k econobox? Well, we can dream. I'd settle for a taller 5th gear. Who needs to accelerate in 5th anyway?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    you hit it, man. Who would expect a 6-speed in a $10,000 Accent or Rio, or Aveo? Yikes. Hold your horses, dudes. Rermember, $10,000 is a flying bargain. Right-o?

5-speeds with a taller 5th with intestinal fortitude would do.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Who expects it? Nobody as I said. Thus the surprise to the competitors. But as I said who expects good highway fuel economy in a light, small car, with a low power engine? Everybody. Not in this case though. I don't care if they drop in a 4 speed if it got the numbers it should. Just get it done, and quit making excuses. Hyundai could lock up this market from Toyota and Honda if they would have made the gains they made with the Sonata.

Do you really expect the MSRP to drop more than a 1000 to $10,000? The last 5 years the actual out the door cost of the Accent has not been competitive to the more discounted Elantra. For just a 1000 more you get better power, more amenities, and not significantly worse fuel economy. No wonder the sales of the Accent have been miniscule.
    Some of the press reports re the '06 Accent GLS mentioned a $10k starting price, that's where I got that figure. If they can price the new GLS anywhere near $10k, even $11k ($12k with automatic), I think it will be a good deal, considering its equipment. With the '07 Elantra likely going up in size and price, there's room for a price increase on the Accent and still maintain a $3000 or so gap.

But as I said who expects good highway fuel economy in a light, small car, with a low power engine? Everybody.

Everybody but Mini Cooper owners I guess. ;) Check out the EPA ratings on the 115 hp 5-speed Mini Cooper: 28 city, 36 highway. Just 1 mpg better than the Rio on the highway. And they sell like hotcakes.
    I certainly don't expect 40mpg highway in a 2006 Hyundai Accent. When you look at even a starting MSRP of around $12,000 with that great new design for the Accent I'd have to say look at this car closer. I certainly am, along with the new Kia Rio. Now, 28 city, 36 highway would be nice to achieve, eh?

but with a Corolla at 41/32 with the manual, 20 more horsepower, and heavier, the long term economy factor is not looking too good.
    the Toyota Corolla? Even with the sport touches it still looks so conservative.

I agree. I am just looking for an excuse to not get a Corolla or Civic, and I was hoping the next Accent, Rio, or Elantra would come close to the same economy numbers with the manual transmission.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    I really like the way that the new Accent looks, but I think that the Rio is a little better-looking, especially in red. Either way, I would buy either of them over an Echo or Aveo.
    You still have hope with the Accent and Elantra. If those don't offer the highway mpg you want, you might try the new-ffor-'06 Yaris or Jazz/Fit. Both should offer over 40 mpg.
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    The thing is... is Hyundai and Scion really competing with each other?

I entered the new car market with the Scion xA as my favorite. It still has a lot of things going for it, but acceleration is not among them. I think the 05 Accent is ugly in a down-scale sense (as opposed to the xB, which is ugier, but in a cutting-edge sense).

Anyway, I'm looking for a hatchback with AT. In the Hyundai line, the Elantra is my choice. If the Accent comes in a hatchback for 06, it will get a long, hard look from me.

Bottom line is that if there is a hatchback Accent, it is a DIRECT competitor of the Scion xA & xB. If not, I'll look at the Rio Cinco for 06.
    I just noticed on the hyundaiusa.com site that Hyundai states the '06 Accent GLS will have ABS and 4-wheel disc brakes standard! I don't recall seeing that fact in earlier info on the '06 Accent. Perhaps it is a reaction to Honda making ABS standard on all of their cars, including the new Fit that will compete directly with the Accent. Anyway, that's a lot of safety equipment for such a low priced car. I hope they also make active head restraints standard. They do note that there will be adjustable head restraints for all passengers--something not even the '06 Sonata has.
  • I think Hyundai has a great opportunity to hype its safety features as Honda as done. The 'Volvoization' of Honda with their 'SAFETY FOR EVERYONE' campaign will always make it seem as if Honda's will always be more safe than a Hyundai, even if test scores say otherwise.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Well, the only problem right now... is that test scores DONT say otherwise. None of the Hyundais right now are among the class leaders in IIHS tests, though the untested Tucson and new Sonata have potential.

~alpha
    Well of course not. The previous-gen Sonata was designed in the mid-90s and debuted in 1998. The newest Hyundais tested by the IIHS debuted five years ago. Not many cars of that vintage are "best picks." Let's wait to see how the new Hyundais like the '06 Accent, with their standard side bags and curtains, fare in the tests. This is a discussion about a '06 model, not the 5+ year old models in Hyundai's lineup.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    "The newest Hyundais tested by the IIHS debuted five years ago. Not many cars of that vintage are "best picks.""

Many of the former Sonata's peers from the same years earned "Good/Best Picks" in the frontal offset, thats a very lame excuse.

"The newest Hyundais tested by the IIHS debuted five years ago." Thats neither here nor there. Regardless of the debut date, the Elantra and Santa Fe are still being sold, and they are not at/near the top of the class for IIHS ratings. [I would also point that the Kia Spectra, with side curtains standard, did not perform at or near the top of the class in either IIHS frontal or offset, and that vehicle debuted last year].

The current Elantra also gives me pause with regard to safety for the fact that the IIHS tested it NO LESS THAN SIX TIMES in the frontal offset due to various safety related issues including two consecutive incidents of late firing airbags (which took Hyundai 3 model years to modify), a fuel tank leak (which Hyundai corrected quickly), and a non-firing airbag (which lead Hyundai to subsequently recall a number of vehicles). As they say though, the sixth time was a charm, and the vehicle now rates a "Good" though not best pick.

My point: Hyundai may lead the field for standard safety features, but they have to work correctly to provide any actual benefit.

Yes, the Accent is an '06 model. But, I'm skeptical as to its actual crash performance, due to an unstellar track record for the brand. Certainly, it would be nice if the record is reversed with these new entries.

~alpha
    Many of the former Sonata's peers from the same years earned "Good/Best Picks" in the frontal offset, thats a very lame excuse.

If you consider two to be many, then maybe it's lame. That's how many cars with as old a design as the '99-'05 Sonata rated "good/best pick" on frontal offset. And the IIHS rates the old Sonata ahead of one of them, the Passat, overall. So I guess that equates one with many?

The stuff about Elantras isn't pertinent to the '06 Accent, although it should have given Hyundai a wake-up call. Look how fast they (Kia actually) acted when the Spectra got a "poor" rating. With all their talk about safety, you have to figure they are going to put intense emphasis on scoring well on crash tests with their 7x24 models, or all their work (and marketing) is for naught. But we'll see for sure in a few weeks/months when the crash test results come out.
    Automobile Magazine has a preview of the 2006 cars, and for Hyundai they mentioned the Accent, Azera, and Sonata. For the Accent, they said it would not be available until December. :( Hyundai's web site says "Fall 2005". Since fall officially lasts until late December, I guess both could be true. The preview also said that power windows and locks will be optional on the Accent. I was hoping those would be standard on the GLS, as they are on the Elantra GLS now. Still, if Hyundai can keep the list price of the '06 Accent with power package around $13k with all of its safety equipment, including ABS, that would be a good deal after the discounts and rebates that will inevitably come soon after introduction.
    Pricing for the '06 Rio is out. For a sedan with power package (windows/locks/mirrors/remote) and ABS the price is about $14k. So much for my desire to see the '06 Accent at about $13k with that equipment. :( Looks like a '06 Accent with automatic, mats, and power package could easily top $15k. That's only a few hundred less than a comparably-equipped Elantra (no side curtains on the Elantra of course, but it does have traction control and more interior room). It will be interesting to see how the '06 Accent fares in the showrooms against the "close-em-out-the-new-'07s-are-coming" Elantras.
  • MSRP for a 06 Rio LX Sedan with auto, power window/door locks, dual heated power side mirrors, tweeter/6 speaker sound system, CD, keyless entry, ABS, spoiler and floor mats comes to 15155. Invoice 14326. 5 door SX model MSRP is 15960 and invoice is 15106. SX has alloy wheels and leather wrap steering wheel as standard. Not quite as competive compared to Spectra models.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Love it.... bring it on!!!! I guess digital instruments are coming back.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Maybe, but the concept may have been spiced up for effect.