Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    A good measure, in my experience, has been the standarized testing loop that CR runs for each of their full vehicle tests. Often, CR will get a lower CITY figure and a higher HWY figure than the EPA, and their overall mileage seems to be a more accurate representation of real world. Still, I've found that in mine and my parents' vehicles, we beat CR's average by about 2-3 MPG due to a heavier bias toward highway, less stop and go.

~alpha
  • Alpha- have you read the report about Consumer Union's (CR) comparison of all their test vehicles for the past five years or so versus those of the EPA? It's really very interesting.

Here's a link to it if you're interested-

http://www.consumersunion.org/pdf/MPG-90205.pdf

I used some of the results in another discussion about the Mazda3 and Honda Civic. Their tests resulting in better than EPA highway numbers in the Civic and better than EPA city numbers in the Mazda3. It's an interesting and useful comparison. I get a feeling I probably drive my car a good bit harder than they do, though.
  • agalasagalas Posts: 38
    ">link titleDon't know if this is old news, but just in case you missed it.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/12/hyundai_unveils.php

44.5 MPG for a Hybrid Accent! If CR verifies those numbers I will purchase a Hyrbid Accent over the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris. What Toyota and Honda have done lately in terms of fuel economy is shameful. The Yaris only gets .5 mpg better than the corolla! The fit will probably get 1 mpg better than the bigger civic.

[non-permissible content removed] IT! When people buy sub compact econo cars they want mileage! Not speed! Not power! Mileage! Gas will soon return to $3 permenently and then anyone who gets less than 40 mpg will rue the day they bought their gas guzzling Yaris or Fit!

Imagine what the second generation Accent H will do! With a full strength hybrid it could pull 50 MPG and with other improvements like CVT, carbon fiber, better engines, lithium ion batteries, we could see 60 mpg.

The question is: what will it cost? I predict a $14,000 base price, with a nicely equipped model for $15,000 and a drive out the door price of $17,000, which is still the cheapest means of getting 45 mpg.

Now if only Hyndai could fix its reliability, above average, according to CR is not good enough. Hyndai needs to get into the top 3. Currently held by the Toyota Echo, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, with the Mazda 3 barely making it to "much better than average".

Thoughts?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    There is no way I see the Accent hybrid starting at $14k. The regular Accent GLS starts at $13k--and that is without A/C, power package, or automatic. Hybrids have traditionally added $3000+ of a premium for the extra technology. Also it is not clear whether the Accent hybrid will come with a stick shift or require an automatic (or CVT). I think it will be lucky for the Accent hybrid to start under $15k, and more likely will be closer to $16k. Consider too that Hyundai is not yet able to spread the costs of their hybrid development over lots of cars, like Toyota is able to do. That might bump up the "hybrid premium" even more, unless Hyundai is willing to lose lots of money on each Accent hybrid they sell.

Hyundai is working hard on reliability. Look at what they have done in the past five years. I think they have already "fixed" reliability to the extent it is no longer a problem. So now they can focus on matching Toyota and Honda in long-term reliability, since they have already matched or exceeded them in initial quality/reliability (per JD Power).
    The Honda Fit for North America was announced today. Starts at $13k including ABS, side bags/curtains, A/C, power package, and stereo. An Accent similarly equipped (but with alloys) would cost $1500 more. And the Fit is a 5-door. Luckily for Hyundai, the fuel economy on the Fit isn't much better than the Accent's.

The Fit is supposed to be out in April. Which is I think when we'll start seeing those big rebates from Hyundai on the Accent.
  • When people buy sub compact econo cars they want mileage! Not speed! Not power! Mileage! Gas will soon return to $3 permenently and then anyone who gets less than 40 mpg will rue the day they bought their gas guzzling Yaris or Fit!

Have to say that I disagree with you there. Perhaps a LOT of people buying econo-cars want economy above all else, but there is a substantial population of buyers who want performance and power while still getting at least moderately good fuel economy. Almost 100,000 people have bought Mazda3s this year and its EPA ratings are definitely in the lower end of the subcompact class. FYI- I am one of that number that bought a Mazda3.

I think carmakers are very wise to cover the full spectrum of economy and performance with a car. Honda, for instance, has everything from the 197hp high performance Si that gets 31mpg, to the Civic LX/EX with decent performance and 40mpg, to the Hybrid that gets 51mpg highway. It's a very wise strategy.

I think Hyundai would be smart to bring an Accent Hybrid to the U.S., but only if they can keep the price down. A performance oriented Accent 3-door would be a good seller, too. Especially if they could milk another 15-20 hp out of it.
  • delta4delta4 Posts: 138
    backy you maybe right. When you compare the standard equipment list the Fit offers compared to the Accent it looks like it is the best deal hands down. Whether consumers will line up in large numbers for the Accent compared to the Fit is another story and Hyundai may indeed need rebates. How large will obviously depend on demand.

The good news is that this segment is going to be very competitive and safety is a priority for both these makes. As gas continues moving above $2.00 a gallon, it should get very interesting.
    Almost 100,000 people have bought Mazda3s this year...

Wow! That translates into annual sales of, what, almost 4 million? ;)
  • phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    Funny, before the 2006 Hyundia Accent was officially released (one day before winter) to make their earlier fall release date valid, this thread was jumping with questions on what options would ultimately be available and what the vehicle cost would be. The damn car gets released and poof, interest disappeared immediately. Looks like Hyundai got a real winner with little overpriced under powered car with but mediocre EPA city/highway MPG estimates. Think I`ll wait till March and cough up an extra 5K and go for the new 2007 Toyota Camry! The extra money upfront will come back years later with a much higher residual trade in factor down the road. The only down side is the mere 3 year/36000 bumper to bumper warranty. Figure for less then a grand I`ll add genuine Toyota Extended warranty and extend for an additional 3 0r 4 years before the original warranty lapses. The Hyundai Korean web page shows the 2006 Accent with power tilt sunroof an fog/driving lamps not available in the North American market, go figure?
    If you are interested in a car the size of the Camry, why not look at the Sonata instead of the Accent? Sonatas are widely available at great discounts, for far less than what a comparably-equipped '07 Camry will go for in March. You would probably save $5-6k at least going with the Sonata--more if you buy an extended warranty on the Camry. You will never make up that much in resale value.

Last time I checked, a few days ago, my local dealer still had no Accents. Maybe that is why there is so little interest. Another reason my interest has waned is that right now a loaded Elantra GLS would cost me less than a loaded Accent. And the Fit, Versa, and Yaris are coming soon and will be very price-competitive with the Accent. So I am staying clear of the Accent until the inevitable rebates come.
  • phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    Backy, lets get real........$5000 to $6000 difference, come on. I live here in SO FL where both Hyundia`a and Toyota`a are discounted by some of the largest volume dealers in the country. Even those so called unbelievable give a way prices on the Sonata`s are for rebates and (Loyalty) bonuses on "certain" slow moving Sonata models, mainly the 4 cyl el cheapo units that are all over the lots. After the dust settles, A new 2007 Camry LE model with auto trans and 4 cyl fully equipt. will be in the $18000 to $18500 range vs a Sonata with all rebates an similar equipt. going for around $16000. Three or four years down the road the Camry will still have a ton of residual value and unfortunately the Hyundia can be sold then by the pound as scrap metal. I`d rather add the extra extended warranty cost to the Toyota and assure some trade in value down the road. Been there/done that!
    After the dust settles, A new 2007 Camry LE model with auto trans and 4 cyl fully equipt. will be in the $18000 to $18500 range vs a Sonata with all rebates an similar equipt. going for around $16000.

You said you were looking at the '07 Camry for a March purchase. That is why I said there would be at least a $5-6k difference. The dust will not have settled by then. Over time, the difference will narrow but I still think it will be substantial. For example, from the Sonata Prices Paid discussion I know that several people have bought a Sonata LX (that is with V6 and leather) for under $18k + T&L. What would a comparably-equipped '06 Camry go for? The closest trim is the XLE V6. Invoice on that car is $25,704. Subtract the $500 rebate and it's just over $25k, assuming you can get one for invoice before rebates. That is $7000 more than the comparably-equipped Sonata. You could add the CD changer and moonroof to the Sonata for about $1200 more. So that is in the $5-6k range I noted. Do you think the '07 Camry will cost a lot less than the '06? I suppose it's possible that with more standard features, the price with those features will go down. But I think it will be some time before you will see rebates on '07 Camries or be able to buy them for invoice less rebates.

P.S. On the 4-cylinder fully equipped '06 Camry LE, the invoice price is $20,452, so with the current $500 rebate it would be nearly $20k. That is with VSC and side bags. The comparable Sonata GL has an invoice of $17,957 and $1500 in general rebates ($1000 more for Hyundai owners). So the difference there is $3500-4500, although I have seen reports of Sonata GLs for under $15k + T&L.
    Since this has become a Sonata/Camry comparo thread, I have replied in a more appropriate discussion:

backy, "Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion" #2202, 21 Jan 2006 4:51 pm
    I finally got to take a close look at the '06 Accent today at my local dealer. They had only one, a black/gray model, fully loaded, sticker $15.4k, on the showfloor. By look and "sit" feel, I was impressed. It looks like a much more expensive car, especially inside. The two-tone interior is very tasteful I think, if you don't touch the plastic (so you feel how hard it is). The driver's seat felt very comfortable; it has the traditional Hyundai dual-knob height adjuster, which allowed me to set the seat just how I like it. With the seat set for my 5'10" frame, the back seat was just roomy enough for me to squeeze in without feeling too cramped. There is good toe space back there, but my knees brushed the seatback. It would be fine for small kids or for adults for a short trip. There were upscale touches to the interior like the fold-down rear armrest with cupholders, damped grab handles, and lighted vanity mirrors. The grey cloth interior felt durable and looked handsome. The driver's right armrest was hard-edged though, and the rests on the doors were hard plastic. The HVAC controls looked good with metallic trim rings and were reasonably smooth, but not as smooth as, say, an Elantra. The 3-spoke plastic steering wheel was thick and looked good. The trunk was quite roomy for such a small car, and expands with a 60/40 rear seat. Outside, the car looked classy in black (although I'd never buy a black car) and its 15" alloys. I was glad to see that the Accent's big outside power heated mirrors fold, unlike its bigger sibling the Sonata.

I look forward to driving the Accent when my dealer gets some more in stock, and in taking a closer look at it at upcoming auto shows. But I can't justify buying one until the rebates kick in and the crash test results are published.
    The 2007 Accent 3-door will debut at the Chicago Auto Show, Feb. 10-19:

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/vehicles/detail.asp?make_id=26

One thing I noted is that the 3-door will have a power sunroof option.
    I am disappointed to see that ABS is not even an option on the Accent GS, and it has been taken off the standard equipment list for the '07 GLS. That eliminates the GS from consideration for me. One of the things I liked about the '06 Accent 4-door is that it was easy to find a car with ABS, because it was standard. It's been hard to find low-end Hyundais with ABS in the past.

I also noticed that A/C will be standard on the '07 GLS, and alloys will be available as a separate option--so you can get the power accessories and ABS w/o getting alloys. That is a good change I think; I don't need alloys. But I do want ABS. :(
  • Why is this Accent page spread out all over creation? It is very difficult to read the way it is. Most of the other sites that I have visited here in Edmunds fit within the normal page width, this one does not. WHY NOT ?????? :confuse: :mad:
  • just corrected itself.
    :)
  • no it didn't :confuse: whatever is happening it is wierd. somebody should check it out. I have tried checking my machine, and it checks out OK...don't understand... :confuse:
    It appears to be only page 13 :confuse:
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    It's the giant picture that somebody posted on that page. All the text messages get stretched to accomodate the picture size. A reminder to use some sense in how large an image to post....
  • OK... thanks makes sense, maybe... Hopefully others will be more careful with their postings. Sure had me going though. :)
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Sorry - that was my fault. At the time, all images available (at least on Hyundai's press site) were hi-res.

Question: how do I edit/delete the post...I'm still very new at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Great forum, by the way!!
  • A dealer friend of mine told me that at recent dealer mtgs in Vegas, they have been told to expect an Accent hyrbid in 2007....early! Starting price will be $19995.
    They expect to sell sell 100,000 Accent/Rio hybrids for the first year. I will be the first to buy one at that price! Most hybrids cars require 150,000 miles of driving to offset high cost. Such an offering, if they do get this out at this price, will IMO put Hyundai at the forefront by offering affordable hybrids.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I really like the looks of the hatch, but Im very surprised about the changes for the 2007 model year, in terms of standard safety equipment. I had thought this was Hyundai's move to get away from the warranty as a HUGE selling point; use the safety stance...

I am especially perplexed since the new Fit will have all the requisite safety features baked in.

FWIW, was in a Yaris sedan at the Philly auto show, and its really a whole new world from the ECHO- and some serious competition for the Accent. The interior was sharp even though I dont care for the center instrumentation- its larger now, more legible and the tach looks good. I was surprised at the space as well.

~alpha
    Exactly. Pending some crazy changes, look for Accent (for sure) and Rio hybrids to arrive by no later than this year. I was very surprised the Accent hybrid was unveiled late last year at an auto show in China, if I recall correctly.
  • I know they stillhave some work to do on it, but i am surprised they haven't put that hybrid out yet. I know they have moved the unveiling up significantly but not sure when. Could they do it in Geneva?
    Hyundai has publically stated that the Accent hybrid would be here late this year.

If they start at $19,995, and are not heavily discounted, they will not sell well IMO. Think about it... when you can get an Accent, Rio, Fit, or Yaris that get about 35 mpg, and you can get about 45 mpg in the Accent hybrid (based on reports when the car was unveiled to the press in China several weeks ago), why spend $7-9000 more for the Accent hybrid? It would take many, many years to make up the price difference through fuel savings. And $20k is only a couple of thousand away from the Civic and Prius hybrids, which are proven hybrid designs (and in the case of the Prius, larger and more versatile). Additionally, with the Accent hybrid you will probably lose trunk space and also the fold-down rear seat, due to the battery pack. I think the price of the Accent hybrid will need to be closer to $16-17k to get much buyer interest.
    Not just Hyundai hybrids, no hybrids currently on the market are economically advantageous versues its regular counterpart. That said, with gas prices continue to be volatile, any improvement in gas mileage will prevail as great marketing tool for automaker and draw consumer interests.

Hyundai competing in the small car and hybrid market are great moves and their vehicles will move off the lot, provided Hyundai contninue to build quality car on top of that, which is something they have strived for and done.

With all that said, of course, many people buy hybrids for reasons other than better mileage but let's save that for another part of discussion. For my own preference, bring on diesel!!!
    As we have discussed here, the '06 Accent is priced too high. It looks like HMA finally agrees--they have put a $1000 rebate on the car. :) But the loyalty rebate is gone. :( With a very good discount plus the Auto Show rebate in many areas ($500), that puts a fully-loaded Accent at around $13k. Getting better...