Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Caliber

Comments

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    information up, neely2005! Yeah, I went by my local dealer and took a look at the Inferno Red 5-speed Caliber. It does have A/C and the Cool Pack. I saw the stereo information on the window sticker and looked inside and saw the stereo in the center console. This one is selling for $14,985 and would have all that I would want or need to start out with. This rig looks to have the goods needed for DCX to compete in the small car world. Mileage could be better, but how many drivers are saying the same thing nationwide right now? Enjoy your Calibers! :shades:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    silvercalibersilvercaliber Member Posts: 30
    :shades: I passed an inferno red Caliber parked by the side of the road today, they look great moving or standing still imho.
  • Options
    caliber_fairycaliber_fairy Member Posts: 4
    I couldn't help but to respond, hehe, lol. I was driving my new caliber sxt,4 days old. I decided to take a small road rather quiet road, and I had to take a double look in my rear view mirror, low and behold it was a silver sxt following behind me. All this time since I had ordered my Caliber I had only seen one parked about a mile down the road from me. Every day there after I would check the driveways to see if someone on my steet had one, but never ever seen it again.
    I wanted to crank up the stereo when the silver stx pulled along side me at a stop light but just couldn't do it. The driver beeped and I waved thumbs up. I figured they was enjoying their new ride as much as I was.
    Happy Motoring! Sure glad to see others on the road, hehe, Kinda! Sure am getting alot of stares though. One guy at a red light pulled up real slow along side me, then backed up to check out the rear end again, lol.
    Don't ya just love it when they take a double take of the rear end! :shades:
  • Options
    luvmycaliberluvmycaliber Member Posts: 11
    I took some new pictures of our new baby , take a look see...and to Silvercaliber,,yes it is
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2345467
  • Options
    moonhunt18moonhunt18 Member Posts: 33
    I finally saw another caliber today. 1st time, and it parked right next to me. it was white, mine is orange. they both looked great. i liked being the only one in the are, though...heeheehee
  • Options
    caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Oooo, I love the door sill guards! I may have to treck over to Ebay right now and order some for my car. I have also been talking to my dh about getting the faux exhaust on, can't decide whether to stick with the single or do the double.

Oh, to answer your question..we went dark as possible on the back but in MI you can't tint the front so those are the same.
  • Options
    dianicessdianicess Member Posts: 7
    Looks great. Where did you get your accessories from?
  • Options
    :D It's great to see that all the new Caliber owners are having so much fun with their new rides. I went to a Mopar show today, no Calibers there except a base model put on display by Daimler-Chrysler. For all of you shoppers out there on a budget it still looked good and in my opinion is excellent value.
  • Options
    ncgullncgull Member Posts: 13
    Anyone having any big problems? I have to buy a car within the next two weeks and have just about given up on the Civic Coupe EX and Mazda3 5-door. Too many problems!!

How are y'all getting along -- mechanically speaking -- with your Calibers??

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    just to jump in real quick about window tint in Michigan. i have a brother in law enforcement in the West Michigan area, so ive known for years that a 35% or 30% tint on front side windows will likely never get a glance from law enforcement. 20% is the next darkest and i would advise against this in MI. from the outside, 35 or 30 tints dont look very dark at all since the light coming through the windshield keeps them lighter than the back windows. 15+ years of 30% tint on all windows except the winshield in MI and no one has ever bothered me.

ive seen one orangish?? caliber in the Kalamazoo area with probably a 30-35% tint on all but the winshield and it looks pretty sharp.

please note: I am not advocating you tint your front side windows in Michigan, as it is illegal. ;)
  • Options
    nonnemachernonnemacher Member Posts: 98
    I have a 2.0 liter CVT SXT model. I was driving mine while others were still waiting. I now have 3100 miles and have had ZERO mechanical problems. I did an oil and filter change at 2k for good measure (not sure if this was necessary) and found everything nice and snug underneath the car.

If you have not driven a Caliber yet, I recommend you do. The Caliber is not a super mpg car like the Civic, but it is much more versatile (especially the SXT) and drives/feels like a much more substantial car to me. It drives very solidly over all roads at all reasonable speeds - like an old Volvo I had a long time ago.

Again, I've had no issues with the car, and suggest you check it out. :)
  • Options
    imnotsohappyimnotsohappy Member Posts: 4
    :lemon: Well i personally do not recommend the Caliber to anyone. I have 2146 miles on mine and its been in the shop 3 times already. 77 miles total "check engine light" comes on, had it reset. 122 miles total "check engine light" is back on again, fault code P000B, camshaft 2 position, slow response on exhaust side, solenoid stuck replace solenoid, 2146 miles total still at dealership, battery completely dead at 4.2 volts, something is causing it to drain that low of a voltage, normally a dead battery is approx. 9-10 volts, needless to say not very happy with Dodge. I waited so long for this car to finally come out and this is what I got. To bad it didnt run as good as it looks. :mad:
  • Options
    ;) Saw two Calibers on the road today, one blue one black. The numbers are going up.
  • Options
    calibreathcalibreath Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone experienced the "Caliber Click" a clicking noise mostly heard when you turn off the car, some claim they hear this when they are driving their Calibers? I test drove the same Caliber twice and did not hear any thing. I want to buy a new Caliber, but want to make sure the coast is clear. Hope everything works out for you Imnotsohappy.

Calibreath
  • Options
    lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    I did have an issue with the battery going dead on me also. The wife and I drove the car all day long, parked it in the garage when we got home. I went out to back it out of the garage and it would'nt start at all, just the 3 clicks from the starter each time. I had to jump the battery and I took it directly to my dealer and told him to keep it until they found out what was causing the battery to go low. Of course they suggested that I left something on like lights. If u try to leave your lights on it won't let u take your key out of the ignition. Needless to say there was no engine light that came on when this occurred. They ran a diagnostic check and got no code, checked alternator...it was charging, battery was fine too. So, what caused it I don't know. I have 7700 miles on it now and have'nt had any other issues with it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    dnrmerlindnrmerlin Member Posts: 5
    I have two AWD RT's I have a stone white one and the wife a Black one. Have been buying Dodges for years. I have had the clicking sound after shutdown. I believe it is the exhaust system and I am not worried.
    Has anyone had a malfunctioning temperature readout for external temps? It was 89 yesterday and it kept reading 96 to 98. Wondering if sensor is just close to something hot. Other then that both Calibers functioning great. MPG about 24. Not bad for AWD. The Black one is total stock. The white one I had added a few things. So far so good..
  • Options
    Wow sounds like you have a :lemon: ! With all those problems I would be demanding that I get a replacement. Sheesh!
  • Options
    I haven't heard that yet, although I expect to. It sounds like it's a normal exhaust noise. I have heard it before on previous cars I have owned so I am not going to worry when I hear it on the Caliber.
  • Options
    waorganywaorgany Member Posts: 10
    Well almost 11 weeks and counting since we ordered our 2007 SXT 2.0 CVT, with heated leather seats, 17" allim wheels, fog lights ect... Sunburst Orange Pearl...we is the car!!! Our old Grand Caravan wont last too much longer we need this car yesterday!! Getting pretty Po at the dealer and salesman...knew we were buying the car the day we test drove, sold our selves before we went to the lot...They suck and dont tell us anything...sure hope its gets here soon!!!
  • Options
    justbilljustbill Member Posts: 7
    Recently purchased (yesterday in-fact) an Inferno Red R/T. I didn't mess with the cool zone thing until on the way home and it doesn't seem to stay in the open position.. closes when I brake. This doesn't seem like proper functioning.. I will be asking the dealer when I go back to finish signing the paperwork, but I thought I would throw this out here.. (most of the folks at the dealership know less about this vehicle than I do).

BTW, we love the car so far..

Thanks
  • Options
    A. Maybe your braking too hard...

B. Maybe if you put a bottle in there, it helps hold it open - just a guess - I've never used mine.
  • Options
    justbilljustbill Member Posts: 7
    Nah, not braking too hard.. normal stop... but, duh, I shoulda thought about the bottle in the box.. I will slap some 20oz bottles of soft-drink in there and find out.. thanks..
  • Options
    imnotsohappyimnotsohappy Member Posts: 4
    Caliber Click I experience that also! I believe it has to do with your key. These keys have a security chip inside them. If you were to duplicate that key it wouldn't start your car, it will open doors but thats it, Just a security feature. The ice box cooler is a good idea if it wasn't a last minute add on, it could have been designed so it wasn't so cheap. And for my Caliber thats at the dealership they gave me a BS story about the problem. They claim the key isn't communicating with the car. There full of it!!! I asked why would that cause my battery to drain so low, as usual they said we will check it in the morning. I looked into the :lemon: it doesn't qualify for that just yet but i did do quite a bit of complaining to both the dealership and Chrysler and surprisingly enough they gave me they best warranty package they offer at no charge. But for now I still have to hassle with the problems the car may bring me in the future. :(
  • Options
    Every car I have ever owned (many!) made these clicking noises when the engine was beginning to cool down. I have noticed that it's a higher pitched click than what I've heard in the past, put I'm sure it's the same cool-down process as usual.
  • Options
    i, too, have felt that the CHill Zone should have a more substantial way to ensure that it stays open. I've semi-tested it by sliding it open , waiting a few mins then checking the chill-ness. I think that eventhough i think/feel that it closed itself, that i'm wrong. It only seems to have , but it's cooler inside that when ive purposefully closed it.

still ive considered ways that i coud homemade rig it so it would for sure stay open. truth be told though...i have only use it 1x in the month and a half that ive had the car.
  • Options
    Thanks dianicess..everything is dealer, except wheels and tint and tip..looking to do side trim and chrome gas cap....have to ask hubby ;)
  • Options
    kdshowkdshow Member Posts: 3
    I have had my Caliber for almost 3 months now. Within the 1st month we noticed this ping. Took it back to the dealer...The dealer said they didn't hear anything. Waited a few weeks when the ping got worse I took it back. They told me that it was a diagnostic problem that approximately 5 other caliber owners were experimenting. Told me to take it home and they would call me when they knew more. It has been 3 weeks, haven't heard anything and the ping is getting worse. It sounds like a sewing machine in high gear when going up a hill. If anyone knows anything about this ping, please let me know so I can pass this on to the dealer. After all, I guess it is up to the consumer to get to the bottom of the problem.
  • Options
    Has anyone notice their rear windsheild washer leaking?? I`ve seen where it has leaked on the glass and I haven`t use it at all...Also yesterday I had a hard time shifting out of park...I pushed hard on the brake and turned the wheel thinking it locked it..after several times trying It finally came out...Didn`t happen today though....we will see what happens....
  • Options
    :P Well folks the waiting does end! After placing my order on March 11, 2006 I got the big call today that my Caliber SXT Sport 5 - speed was was at the dealer. I went in right and took her out, only 4 kilometers on the odometer. I was satisfied with the tranny, nice light clutch and a decent feeling shifter. The only thing I noticed was the shift gate is fairly narrow, and you can get it into 5th when you want 3rd. The only other thing i don't like about this car is the poor visibility to the rear. Fortunately the mirrors are a decent size and pm is a handy option. Supposed to take delivery tomorrow evening and the driving experience with this car will really begin. I hope it was worth waiting for!
  • Options
    dianicessdianicess Member Posts: 7
    Found this at another forum: http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_475163/tm.htm

From Engineering:

"Customer complains of severe pop, click or ping noise from exhaust during cooldown. Noise is above normal cooldown ticking noises heard on other exhaust systems. Source of the noise is the slip joint at the resonator outlet. The cause is the joint building too tight at the supplier and not allowing the internal resonator tube to slide within the joint. A design change was made to relieve this tight fit. This will reduce the cooldown ticking noise from the exhaust to a normal level.
    The muffler/resonator assembly should be replaced if a customer complains of this condition. "

Clean point in production is 5/1/2006.
  • Options
    renchbnderrenchbnder Member Posts: 13
    i relate that noise to the exhaust system cooling off,,
  • Options
    very true statement!
  • Options
    waorganywaorgany Member Posts: 10
    This car is replacing my wife’s old van. I am in Iraq and she is waiting at home for the new car to arrive…I will be home before the car gets there? We ordered our 2007 SXT Caliber in mid MAR and are paying $500 over invoice @ $18,500. All other dealers we talked to quoted us MSRP or above. Ours will be configured as such:
    FWD SXT, 24D package, 2.0 w CVT, Sunburst Orange Pearl, Leather (heated) Seats (Gray), 17” aluminum Wheels, Cruise, block heater (we live up North and have lived in Alaska this $30 option is a must), Fog Lamps, Daytime running lights, full tank of gas and the ever famous “destination charge” @$560!!!

Stock SXT MSRP: $15,425 Invoice: $14,612
    Options: $ 3,665 $ 3,416
    Total $19,090 $18,028

Still not sure about adding an extended warranty plan? We had one on our 9
    ’96 Dodge Grand Caravan and it paid for it self several times over. Sure hope this car comes in soon…been waiting almost 12 weeks… do not hear from dealer every!! Last we knew they still did not have a VIN!
  • Options
    yeah! my car does this also...don't know why!
  • Options
    I too have experienced this problem but I have water bottles in my "chill-zone" and it does'nt seem to help me much. This so-called feature is about worthless unless it's winter time outside and u can vent cold air into your dash. Otherwise it will only keep a drink slightly cool, I like my drinks very cold. Alas...I did'nt buy this car for the chill zone, it's basically a good storage space for beverage bottles.
  • Options
    I just bought the rain gaurds, chrome moldings, door sill gaurds and chrome gas cap for my Caliber on Ebay. The prices there are apx. $20 cheaper an item than through my dealer. Funny thing is I called my dealer for prices and asked for a multiple purchase discount, was told there isn't any mark up on the parts. Well the people I bought them from on EBay are dealers themselves!

Why do car salesmen do that? :confuse:
  • Options
    Called the dealer service department about the service bulletin on the exhaust click. They know about it, but do have the updated parts yet. They should call me when they get the new parts in.
  • Options
    mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    Has anyone here bought the Caliber standard model (bone stock - not SXT)? My friend was looking at one at the auto show.
  • Options
    deltatdeltat Member Posts: 1
    I have an orange SXT with everything except leather and I noticed the same thing with the outdoor temp reading 8 to 10 degrees to high. Our other cars are are usually pretty close to the right temperature.
  • Options
    My rear windshield leaks as well. It is a small leak. Looks rather tacking when you are going down the road and you have this streaky back window.
  • Options
    azrdrunnerazrdrunner Member Posts: 8
    BE CAREFUL YOU DONT GET NAILED OR THESE 3 THINGS:
    THEFT PROTECTION, PERMAPLATE & GAP Insurance.
    The Theft proection is not mandatory, the Permaplate is a glorified wax and the gap tey sell for $550 s $200 at teh credit union. :mad:
  • Options
    ok, so dodge acknowledges that there is a ping, and that it is related to cooldown...however....

is it safe? will it prove to be problematic? should a caliber owner insist on replacement whn the re-worked muffler/assembly comes in.

the ping doesnt bother me. but if it will cause issues in the future, i'd like to fix it...does anyone know?
    thanks
  • Options
    permaplate i agree, a ripe! gap insurance , mine through state farm 18 every 6 months
  • Options
    multicademulticade Member Posts: 1
    Are you talking about the window cleaner (windex)? If so, mine does that too, any luck with fixing?
  • Options
    I don't know if it will cause any future issues - its just an exhaust noise. But, I'm going to get mine fixed so it will be the same as the current production Calibers - that's one of the things the warranty is for. Besides, I can hear mine when driving somtimes too, so its not really a "cooldown only" problem.

Also, they said I should wait on having a custom exhaust outlet built for the car since this repair calls for replacement of the resonator/muffler assembly, which includes the short tail downward-bent pipe.

Frankly, I'm impressed with how quickly Dodge figured out what was wrong and I'm willing to wait for the right parts to get it done right.

My previous experiences with Saturn were terrible on things like this - it would take forever for them to figure out the problem while the dealer would keep trying to fix it with the same "bad" parts design. This took alot of my time and made everyone look like they knew nothing, especially the dealer service department, who was supposed to know about their product.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Dodge apparently sold 11,000 Calibers in April - those are great numbers. I don't think they want to jeopardize future sales by not jumping on problems that turn up. The last article I read on Chrysler quality control, was that as problems show up, they tear cars down and bring in their suppliers to identify and fix problems so the assembly line doesn't keep repeating the same issue.

BTW, fwiw, I find the 5 Star dealers much better than the non-rated dealers for fixing problems.
  • Options
    I called the dealer today. I was told that there might be a small leak in the hose. I am suppose to drop it off next week for them to take a look at it as well as let them hear the pinging noise that is getting worse.
  • Options
    mmmkuenmmmmkuenm Member Posts: 1
    Anybody get experience on wind noise if open rear passenger window, 1/4, 1/2 and full open? There is a terrible fliping noise. You feel uncomforable pressure when you drive. That is fine if you open other window or close rear passenger window rightup. So far, I enjoy and my Steel blue Caliber SXT over 1 month and have 2000 km on it.
  • Options
    ouwxguesserouwxguesser Member Posts: 5
    I have almost 6k miles on my SXT so far... no major issues. I have fortunately had absolutely no pinging/clicking noise from the exhaust system. Avg mpg is approx. 26mpg so far. My best tank was 29mpg doing 55-70 on highways keeping the tach below 2500rpm while my worst was 22mpg @ 70-75mph in a ~30-35mph headwind. There is some road noise, but it is quieter than my old 95 Saturn SL2. I honestly think that a better tire may take a bunch of that away.

Right not the only minor annoyance is a squeak that shows up from time to time with nonsmooth roads at high speeds. It seems to originate from underneith the passenger front seat. In addition, the seats have a tiny but of play in the positioning mechanism. If you accelerate off the line hard I feel the drivers seat slightly move. I had the dealer check the seat out and it spec'd ok. It may just be the extra weight due to my gut... back on the diet I go!
  • Options
    I don't know about the noise, haven't had that issue in my caliber but I do know of the pressure you speak of. I actually have that experience in every single four door car I have every owned. When only one window is down it creates pressure in the vehicle, you have to crack another window to balance it back out.I usually crack the other rear window to offset it when it happens.
This discussion has been closed.