Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Since there is no 2006 G I hope for the 2007 re-fresh they'll give the G some modern Benz technology!

M
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,891
    I finally got in to sit in an R350 and R500 today. I wandered through the showroom at San Diego MB for about 25 minutes. Sat in about half the cars and all the SUVs. Nice room in the second row of the R class. I think I like the front seat better in the ML.

My observations while in the showroom. First NO one asked if I needed help. Second: a gentleman that was also looking at the R500 asked a salesperson sitting nearby at a computer for information. His response was "I am awfully busy". He called for another salesperson. No one showed up in the 5-10 more minutes I was looking around. The gentleman was about as impressed with the Mercedes sales staff as I was. I did not see anyone being helped while I was there.

That was my first time in there. I doubt I would bother going back. I have to think that the service staff would be equal to the sales staff.
    Yeah it is very unfortunate but every brand has some less-than-great dealers. I would imagine in that part of the country that dealer sells so many cars to the point they aren't stressed about walk-ins. A pity.

M
  • akinakin Posts: 24
    Does anyone know if they are still offering the dealer employee lease program in March? I know they were doing so in February.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,891
    It was a surprise. Even the lousy Lexus dealer, where my wife bought her car, comes out and greets you in the lot. I can tell you from experience GM & Ford dealers are much more responsive to the customer than the Japanese and German dealers. My VW dealer is one of the largest Ford dealers in So. California. They are good for service.

I am disapointed. I really wanted to consider a new Mercedes when I sell my diesel Passat. Oh well, maybe have to buy from a different state.
  • chirpchirp Posts: 194
    What was that program, if I might ask?
  • Hopefully it will continue. With dealers giving these cars away, it should entice buyers.
  • I wonder what kind of employee lease programs they have. Yesterday LA Times ad show R350 at $299.00 per month plus tax, 27 months, $4999 cap reduction, or $499 month, zero cap reduction... 16 to choose from. "Equipped..Not Stripped" says the ad.

Can the employee get less than that?
  • danohdanoh Posts: 23
    Lease an R-class with premium package for 499/month for 39 months:

Total payments equal $22,956. At lease end, lessee pays for any amounts due under the lease, any official fees and taxes related to the scheduled termination, excess wear and use plus $0.25/mile over 32,500 miles, and $595 vehicle turn-in fee. Purchase option at lease end for $34,130.25 plus taxes.

But mileage is not even 1000miles/month, only 833 miles per month - not even 28 miles/day.-
  • benzsterbenzster Posts: 152
    Yes we can. I just leased an 06 CLK. March employee purchase plan was just too nice.
    Benzster,

Is the program still available on the R class?
    What are the lease specifics?
    Who is eligible? Just employees or their family members as well?

Thanks,
    R Class is available till the end of March. If continued longer, we will know the first week in April.

If you are eligible you will need to ask the employee about specifics (sorry).

immediate family members of the dealership employee are eligible to participate: dealership employee’s spouse, same-sex domestic partner, parents, spouse’s parents, sons and daughters.
    Until the end of March Aunts, Uncles and brother/sister in laws and cousins are eligible.

Vehicle must be titled in dealership employee’s name or the name of the eligible immediate family member upon dealer approval. Title must remain in the employee’s family member’s name for a minimum of one year.
    Benzster,

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it. I have a brother-in-law at MB dealership and will lease the R-class by that route. From what I understand the savings are pretty generous.

Thanks again,
    send me your email
    I'm feeling like a mushroom in here....always in the dark. :sick:
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    it is rather lonely in this forum, too. Still lovin my R. At 6500 miles now. No problems whatsoever.
    Saw one on the road tonight. I didn't recognize it at first because the R is so rare.

M
    What has been the general interest on the new GL so far? Another R-Class or a success like the M-Class?

M
    There is interest. MB has been sending out very nice promo material. I was sent a license plate with GL4U2C printed on it and on the back was a card with a nice pic and copy. Full size plate in a embossed envelope with a password for me to log on to MBUSA. I have seen other nice pieces. We are doing a large mailing as well. The R just "creeped" onto the market. This will not.
    Well I meant do you have a lot of pre-orders for the GL already like the S-Class?

M
    As of now, there are not any open vehicles for our dealership other than the launch vehicle for our promo party. April 15 release with June builds open, so July delivery date.
  • wopelwopel Posts: 92
    Hi, I haven't been paying much attention to the forum lately, but thought I'd check in and see if those that bought the R are still happy, and what the GL might offer me.
    I went to my dealer and with the options I want I have to order the R, so I lost my zeal again.
    I see the GL doesn't have quite as much cargo space - but very close. I like the fact that it has a bench seat, and roof rails. As a longtime E class wagon driver, I want those things in my car. Most importantly, I need the dog barrier!
    I guess what I really want is a bigger E wagon, but I'll have to chose something else. I guess the question for myself is do I want to drive a car or a truck?
    I understand the M was changed to a more car-like drive, so here's hoping the GL might have that feel. April is approaching.
    Well you gotta help me with the salesman talk...lol. Does that mean that all your of allocation for April/May is pretty much spoken for or that you just can't place custom orders during that time? Another question, as we approach the end of March, how did the R do at your store this month? I think if MB can move between 2200-2600 of these a month they'll get the overall volume for the year that they wanted from the start. The 2007 models should be able to sell a little bit better on their own without all the "help" from MB.

M
    Sorry, That means if you want a GL you will have to order it and it can be delivered in July. All inventory is sold out till then. We have been able to order them for a while. ;)The first delivery will be 4/15. R's are picking up. No #'s yet.
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    I am seeing a lot more R's in metro NYC, so I assume they are selling better. I saw at least 6 this week, all in different locales.
    Ok, thanks. Between the R,M,GL,S and revised SL and E MBUSA should do very, very well this year I think. I think 250K+ units this year is possible.

M
    I too have started seeing more R's around. It really looks good to me, but only with the larger wheels. That Alpine Rain color is really just right for the R as is Pewter. Capri Blue isn't bad either.

M
    I saw a Barolo Red Metallic over the weekend and I must say it looked great! This vehicle looks better, in my opinion, in some of the non-traditional MB colors. Perhaps because it is a non-traditional Benz and the different colors add to it's uniqueness. I dunno, I prefer it in colors other than Silver and Black.
    This vehicle looks better, in my opinion, in some of the non-traditional MB colors. Perhaps because it is a non-traditional Benz and the different colors add to it's uniqueness.

I think that is it exactly.

M
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.