Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Comments

• vicsvics Posts: 10
    Have any of you managed to successfully get a trailer hitch to fit your R350 or R500? I've tried several places and finally found one that they said would fit, but when I went there to get it, they said that it would not fit. :(
  • chirpchirp Posts: 194
    I thought the R-Class did not have a tow rating. Maybe I'm mistaken. Know anything about this Benzster and what modifications may need to be made to tow?
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    The R is not rated to tow. My salesman, who is usually quite candid about going against the MB company line, strongly advised against an after-market hitch, saying the frame wouldnt support. Like the E-Class wagon in that regard.
  • benzsterbenzster Posts: 152
    My feeling is that if you plan on towing something like a wave runner or 2 that would be ok. The suspension components and rear end are not beefy enough to handle a boat even though the tongue weights are low. There is not a transmission cooler or anything that resembles a towing "package" on the vehicle. Once you put a hitch on one you throw up a red flag. I have seen issues with the 7 speed tranny on sedans. If that should happen to you and you have slapped a hitch on it....... well they are not cheap. In my best judgment, I would say it isn't worth it. Sorry, I know that is not what you wanted to hear. :(
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    Even a monkey can do that!
    snappy comeback....... are we now resorting to flaming?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    Let's not make things personal here please

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Benzster, I think that was a reply to the "ordering furniture at Ethan Allan" post and not meant as a response to your post if I followed the response/reply correctly. Your explanation of the towing capabilities of the R-Class and what can be expected if you test fate was dead on in my opinion. The towing crowd should look at the GL Class since their commercials show it towing a House!! among other things. The GL might be pricey, but I like the look of it alot and it sure seems to fit the Haul-everything-in-style niche.
    I saw a GL in the flesh (so to speak) today in NYC. Didnt look as big as I expected. Nice design job by MB. Felt sorry for the owner...had a major gash (torn metal) at the back of the rear passenger side wheel well, expending to the bumper. Bummer for a vehicle that probably wasnt more than a few weeks old. :sick:
    I concur. To me the GL looks longer and narrower from about 100 feet and looks very muscular as you get close to it. I think it's a winner and if you have seen the commercials all metal flying debris is supposed to just bounce off of it! :) Man, I wish that were the case with all vehicles. My wife already has a big Doink on the front bumper of her new van by trying to run down my daughter's bike IN THE GARAGE! Even parking assist didn't help.... :sick: Oh well...
    His reply was to your response about how his friend has a van that will hold a bunch of office stuff. Your response was along the lines that the R won't but why should you have to do it. My response was, for that one day you must drive that vehicle all year. He said I know and his friend is happy. Good for his friend. I am like you. Deliver it and I will hang in th R all year. He likes his friend's car and I like mine. LET THE MONKEY DELIVER THE FILE CABINETS, and Bob's you uncle!
    Chirp, was just looking at the ML350 which has the same motor, transmission, (and frame?), but is a foot shorter and 1 inch taller. Can't imagine that M-B would make a different frame for the ML. M-B makes a hitch for the ML350 with a 5,000 lb towing capacity. What do you think?
    Look again! The GL450 uses the 4.6L motor and is the only one available at this point. These are unibody SUV's and not body-on-frame type so they are different. The GL has 3 rows of seating and therein lies the main difference to most buyers. It depends on how much hauling(people and toys) you are likely to do. I think the ML350 and ML500 are both terrific vehicles and when MB gets that diesel in those and the Hybrid assist in the GL look out. Mileage will go up and sales will follow without losing any of the practicality and versatility.
  • a6_to_m35a6_to_m35 Posts: 43
    Anyone know about this special edition vehicle. Any availability or are they all sold out?
    I've never heard of it and the dealer didn't mention it to me. I did not even see any brochures for it. I bought the 'regular' R350 and really like it. Have any of y'all had any problems of any kind with your R350 or R500? I'd like to hear about them so I can avoid those situations that cause those problems. :)
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Posts: 109
    They're probably sold out. From what I know, the made 750 of these Signature editions for the benefit of cancer research via Saks Fifth Avenue.
    For those interested in a trailer hitch, there is hope. I have just had my hitch installed and it works fine. First I went to Hidden Hitch, but it did not fit and needs to be re-engineered. Then I went to a Curt trailer hitch, had it installed, and it fits fine. It is rated at 2,500 pound towing capacity which is sufficient for my needs.

Just wanted to let you guys know so that you can tow your small boats, jet skis and other stuff when you go on vacation in your Sports Tourer.
    I just noticed a little red light on the key transponder. Anyone know what it is for?
    It will self-destruct in 5 minutes... ;)

You should check the battery...
    It's probably Scotty, letting you know that he is ready to beam you up. :shades:
    It should light up when the remote is being used. Push a button and the light comes on.
    I've got water streaming into the passenger side footwell. It happens when I turn on the A/C. I had this happen with my 2000 ML. It had something to do with the condenser tubing. Oh well. We'll see what service has to say tomorrow....
    I've had that happen on 2 different cars myself. It's the drain tube for sure and I would turn off the A/C until you get it fixed. Once the carpet picks up that moldy smell it never goes away. It could be worse. When my kids were small one of them dropped a cardboard milk jug on the carpet and before my wife realized what had happened it was too late. Have you ever smelled rancid milk in a carpet? :cry: They should be able to fix you up with no problem.
    I had the pleasure in my sister in-law's c class. As a result, my kids have never been allowed milk in the car and all weather mats are standard.
    Did that....milkshake in the carpet of a T&C. Never the same and that is a big carpet to replace.
    Well, tomorrow came and went. It seems that they don't stock parts in 'bama. The car is permanently parked in the shop, awaiting the blower unit from Stutgart (sp?). Maybe I should have gotten the sushi fridge in the glovebox(ala Volkswagen), rather than the water dispenser.
    That's not good and sorry to hear. Is there a crack in the condensor/blower unit and that's causing the leak?
    I picked it up too late to ask questions. The work order stated a clog caused the back up. It ruined the blower and filter. I hope it doesn't happen again.
  • cary28cary28 Posts: 53
    I've been shopping around for the right color/options combo, and it looks like my preferred color (Alpine Rain/Ash) does not have the options I want. Available inventory is very limited, since the 2007s are coming, and the only one which has my preferred options come in a Desert Silver/Macadamia color. I want to take advantage of the current $5K incentive, since the 2007s will cost more when they come out in Oct. For those who has this color combo, can you tell me if the interior stays clean? Is the Macadamia too "yellow" as this is a classic MB interior color from the sixties. I'll like to hear your experiences after living with this color combo. Thanks for sharing.

Cary
  • bits1bits1 Posts: 6
    We have this combo and love it. At first I thought the exterior would be a bit too gold for us, but it really is closer to silver. It's a great looking car.