Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Comments

• chirpchirp Posts: 194
    I'm sure the GL is moving off the lots. It appears to be selling at my neighborhood dealer mainly due to it's being a purpose-built vehicle with a strong and targeted market. I don't think there is anyone left in the R-class marketing group to advertise the vehicle and from the post above it appears that the ads they are producing are just plain silly.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 3
    Someone called up our dealer saying they believe the R class saved his family from a terrible accident. They were at an intersection driving 50 mph, their light was green. They were heading under the light and saw a tractor trailer barreling through the red light. The R class stopped on a dime. Seatbelts held everyone in. Other than needing to get off the road to decompress, they were all fine.

Sold us. :)
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 3
    Can you go to IKEA with 5 kids and bring back 2 file cabinets and a desk home? A freind of mine just did that yesterday with a Sienna.

No, I can't do that, but I'll go to Ethan allen and have them deliver. ;)
  • irishrogue1irishrogue1 Posts: 127
    Exactly. although we are probably more likely to find ourselves at pottery barn or crate and barrel......ethan almost offends with their prices....
  • benzsterbenzster Posts: 152
    R320 CDI: This vehicle produces 221 horsepower, but more importantly 376 lb-ft. of torque
    giving it fuel economy better than a gasoline V6 but with V8 torque for greater performance.

I really am a diesel geek. The torque and mileage may cause a swap to the CDI from the 350 this fall.

note:

HYBRIDS
    DaimlerChrysler has invested billions of dollars in alternative powerplant research over the past
    decades, on virtually every type of alternative to conventional gasoline engines, including
    hybrids. DaimlerChrysler believes that the fuel cell is the most promising over the long term but,
    since this technology is still a ways off; the company is focusing on diesel as part of its overall
    strategy to increase fuel economy and address environmental concerns. But, rather than simply
    wait for these vehicles to be viable, we have taken the interim step which will allow us to take
    advantage of the diesel’s ability to produce 30 percent lower carbon dioxide emissions and
    roughly 30 percent better fuel economy than gasoline engines. (See BLUETEC above)
    In the 4th quarter of 2006, MBUSA will expand its diesel offering to include the E320
    BLUETEC, the ML320 CDI and the R320 CDI.
    Nice story.
    It takes at least 175 feet to stop this thing going at 50 mph(50 feet to think about stopping and at least 125 feet to actually stop). Even if this intersection was a 4 lane divided highway the R would finally come to a stop 80 past the intersection and would have driven right through the semi on the way there.
    I'm with you, but there is no need for math. If they were under the light and the tractor was approaching....gun it!

Of course if it were a divided intersection, well....wait a minute. Is this an African or European R Class? R Class' are not migratory. So if this were a tropical intersection........ :P
    Oh, Benzster, you're such a goof!! I was trying to make the intersection as wide as possible, so we get 2-4 lane highways coming to a big-a** intersection. The R would still overshoot the intersection traveling at 50. You crack me up, and I agree that the only way out would be to mash the go pedal and pray. Certainly, if I were going to get t-boned by a semi I can think of a lot worse vehicles to be in than the R-Class. :)

If you guys are working on a vehicle that can stop in 50-60 feet while traveling at 50mph give me a holler and put me on that list. It has to have wheels, tho, no tank treads please. They give me a headache. :D
    We've got that! But it is at Silverstone this weekend. ;)
    Got me, Benzster. We need a race car forum on Edmunds. :)
    We could hijack this one ;) As long as it's involving cars that can turn right. I don't mean off pitwall either. I wonder if SCCA considers the R Class a van or wagon. If so, no autocross this weekend. I may take the CLK350 for giggles. :P
    Hijack it is. I raced with SCCA and IMSA for about 8 years. I raced PRO for 2 of those years in IMSA in a World Sports Racer until I had a complete tear of my ACL while skiing. I tried to come back in 1999 at Sebring, but I could no longer heel-toe effectively and without endangering myself and other drivers so I hung up my racing shoes. :( My wife was happy the bank account got back to normal after a few years also.
    I have very little "racing" experience. I converted an 82 VW cab by using a 944 throttle body, big valve head, new cam gears, 2 3/4" exhaust with an ansa setup, added upper strut bars, and dropped the car with a Bilstein spring and strut kit. On BF Goodrich 205/60/13 comp TA's it was fun to autocross, but that was all I did. As you can see it was back before the +1,2,3,4 tire setups, so you know it has been a while. I did switch to the GTI 14's later :blush: So now I am into supporting the MB marque in F1. An ACL? Like rolling up a window shade huh? Ouch. What does that do for the golf game? And just to stay on topic....Is everyone ready to see an R65? I can't wait for the my engine is very loud, the ride is rough, I have trouble with this yellow triangle beeping in my cluster issues ;)
    Comp TA's...now there's a tire name I haven't heard in a long while. Those were the "original super-sticky tires". I had a set on an old 911 and I think I got about 8k on them! :D
    YES YES YES, bring on that R65!! It got to the point in my C32 that I didn't even notice the ESP flashing constantly. As you know turning it off didn't do a whole lot, but you could light up the tires real good for a little stretch! I hope the ESP is less intrusive on the R65 because it got downright scary at times in the C32 when it cut in; especially when you would be turning in front of traffic and gun-it just to have it stop you dead in your tracks. :surprise:
  • rclassfanrclassfan Posts: 5
    So we finally scheduled the replacement windscreen with the local MB dealer in Boston only to be called the day before the appointment to say they dont do replacement glass and to go to a local glass company they recommend.

This seems strange, no?
    Yes and No. Our glass installer is an independent that has been doing our glass for decades. If it is not an insurance claim we do all the paperwork but he installs the glass. If it is an insurance claim then we turn the issue over to his office to file and send in deductible check. Either way the glass is ours and is installed here on site. We control the appointment and the glass order. I can see how they might just send it out but we don't. Our technicians only install glass that rolls up and down (bottom line). The same gentleman installs all our glass and has forever all the way back to the 220 Chassis'.
    correction: I stated back to the 220 chassis I meant back to the 111 chassis which was a 220 model. A 220 chassis is the S Class from MY00-06. Which would not be nearly as impressive.
    :blush:
  • chintchint Posts: 30
    I dont agree with you. I got my R350 last week and it had 16 miles in it .
  • vicsvics Posts: 10
    Yes, mine had 46 miles on it when I got it. :(
  • vicsvics Posts: 10
    I can't see the front end of my R350, and I'm not a little old lady. I'm six foot tall. And how do you park it? By ear? :confuse: