Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    The poor button position is just one more reason to go back to the column shifter, at least as an option. They can also fix the door handle position while they are at it.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    I've corrected the button position problem using a tongue depressor & black vinyl tape. Works like a charm, and looks reasonably sanitary. All things considered, I like the floor shifter. No way can they afford to offer column shift as an option.

I like the door release, but one thing I'm confident the engineers didn't consider (but my wife detected immediately) is the inability to control the outward swing of the door once unlatched from the inside. A hand grip in the arm rest would help a lot. (A wood block attached to top of arm rest with drywall screws? Nah; doesn't meet my standards for sanitary.)

We've become acclimated to the location of the handle for closing the door from the inside. Just takes a bit of habit forming.

The 2006 Mountaineer has a few warts, but really is an excellent vehicle and I'm very pleased with it.

About 50 of my first 100 miles were on washboard mountain roads. No rattles before or after. Also, it does an exceptional job of smoothing out the washboard.
  • comancoman Posts: 11
    Has anyone purchased an 06 Mountaineer or Explorer with the 6 cyl engine? Have you measured your MPG? How does it compare the EPA spec?

Does the 6 cyl have enough power for the hills and passing? I don't intend to tow anything so I don't really need the lower MPG V8.

Trying to decide between a Pilot and another Mountaineer. My '97 Mountaineer has served me well but at today's gas prices, MPG is a concern. I know that SUVs will never be economy cars but some are better than others.
    Thanks.
    Mine is an 8 cyl. and too early to tell MPG. However, I have some advice: Calculate the annual fuel cost difference for the number of miles you drive. Then decide if the performance and capability difference is worth this amount.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Yes, lateralg is right - the difference is usually less than your car payment annually..unless you drive a gazillion miles.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,446
    the 3rd seat has taken a big step backwards in function. i lnow it has the powerfold feature now, but it much smaller rhan the 3 row in my '02. i am over 6 feet and can fit it it(the '02). even my kids noticed it. my wife said maybe the 2nd row captains chairs could work, but i doubt it.
    i would have to move up in vehicle size to at least match that feature. looking at plan b if i change vehicles.
  • ilmorilmor Posts: 8
    Just today we decided that we are going to purchase a 2006 Mountaineer, after closely examining and reading about every single SUV sold in the US in our price range. The overall package and price, expecially considering the current Ford Smart Pricing, we just don't see how it can be beat. We are looking at the Premiere model, in black. We had narrowed our choices down to a Nissan Pathfinder and a Mitsubishi Endeavor, until we looked over the Mountaineer and Explorer. The Endeavor would have been less costly of course, but then one gives up a lot for that too. And, neither has that beautiful Mustang GT V8 under the hood!! :P The quality of fit and finish of the Mercury was better than the Nissan. I was surprised to see that, as in years past the Japanese makes seemed so much better. We looked at Toyota and Honda SUV's too, but they simply didnt impress as much. The Jeeps are seriously lacking legroom; the Commander legroom is a joke - they should have thrown away the 3rd row idea in that one and just provided decent front and rear legroom. And, in case your curious, I am not a "Ford" guy or anything, I have owned several US and foreign makes and currently drive a Honda Accord, which has been a great car. My other car is a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (I love that thing).
  • Also add the $1,200 or so increase in price for the V8 (invoice increase is around $1k). The V-6 should be fine for normal driving as well as passing and power for uphill driving. Base HP is up 30% over the first '92 Explorer V-6 I owned, which I felt was weak in those areas - back then.
    The 8 cyl brings A LOT more to the party than added HP. The 6R transmission is a huge improvement over the 5R55, which is a 3-speed transmission with two overdrives.
    i just posted on the commander thread about the lack of legroom in the second and third rows. it will be interesting to see what kind of constructive response i get. ;)
  • I've got the '06 Limited 4x4 with the V8 and about 4500 miles so far. I tow quite a bit and need the added power. MPG is terrible - about 12 city, best highway was 19. Mixed is about 13-15. But that is what I expected - I expense all my gas to my company.

Unless you tow or really NEED the extra power, there is no point in paying more and getting lower MPG. Power is ok if that's a primary concern, but unless you've got money to burn, and don't need the oomph, the 6 should be fine.
    i think the explorer packed on a few pounds for '06. the 6 may not get the mileage it got in the prior year versions. many thought the 'old' v8 did as well or better on gas because it did not have to work as hard. my '02 v8 w/towing is rated at 14-19. i usually get 16-17. have hit the highs and lows, too.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    dealer to pick up a Commander brochure, with the intent of driving one after T-day...reading the catalog, I see 3 types of drive trains, Quadra-Trac I, Quadra Drive I and II...reading the catalog descriptions, they are all basically AWD, with some having the choice of a low range...I remember my Dad's CJ5 (yes, I know this is not a CJ5) with a 4WD chassis, but it ran in 2WD until you wanted to engage the 4WD, and then you had the choice of hi or lo range...later, my friend's GM Blazer had a "4WD switch on the fly", meaning you could just engage 4WD with a dashboard switch, rather than jumping out and engaging the Warn hubs...

I want a vehicle with 4WD on the fly, but designed to ride normally in 2WD...I just do not want an AWD vehicle, and the Commander and JGC only offer AWD with their Quadra-whatevers...

Can anybody list for me some of the SUVs that have the type of 4WD I want???...this is frustrating...even the Mountaineer has AWD, not 2/4WD...what gives???...if I wanted AWD I would get an Audi A6...

Does the Explorer offer anything like what I want???anything else???
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    I believe the 4 wheel drive Explorers fit your requirements.On the 4WD Explorers you have 3 buttons to choose from. 4x4 Auto, 4x4 Hi, aned 4x4 Lo. The default mode is 4x4 Auto and in that mode the truck is in 2WD until the sensors detect slippage. Once a tire slips, the truck shifts power to the wheels with the most traction.
  • The '95 V6 had 160 hp and a 4-speed automatic, the '06 V6 is rated at 210 and has a 5-speed. I got about 15 in the '95 and about 19 in the '06 (XLT 4x4).
  • The Explorer 4x4 utilizes the rear wheels only until the AdvanceTrac system adjusts the power distribution to other wheels depending on road conditions and speed/braking.

So,no, it is not full-time AWD.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    Thanks for the responses...now, I understand 4x4 Auto, as it will automatically engage if sensors tell it to do so...

Suppose I have snow in my subdivision...is that where I can set it to 4x4 Hi or Lo, and just start driving in 4WD???...is it also something you can shift into while driving, or do I have to come to a complate stop???

I assume that 4x4 Hi, you can do up to, say 40 mph, and 4x4 Lo is only driven at speeds under 10 mph???

Thanks again...
    The basis Jeep system (Command Trac) is what you want. I think the Liberty and Grand Cherokee still have this as standard equipment. It is a manually engaged system, in 2 wheel drive unless you select 4WD. I have this in my Wrangler Rubicon (awesome vehicle).
    Wow, that is really true. I was interested in the Commander until I get in it. They really screwed it up, and I am a fan of Jeep, having a 2003 Wrangler Rubicon. But, I am also honest and the Commander is a failure in my opinion. They should have provided more rear legroom than the Grand Cherokee and ditched the riduculous 3rd row. What they have now is a large, overweight vehicle with inadequate legroom in every row. We have decided to purchase a Mountaineer because it meets all our requirements for quality, space, power, features, looks, etc., etc.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I think that Commander is an answer to DCX trying to come up with a full size SUV to go against the Tahoe & Expedition. But they built the thing on the Grand
    Cherokee platform, and so, yes, there is inadequate EVERYTHING to really do that job right.

The new Grand Cherokee, IMO, is the best ever. I just drove one last week, and actually liked it better than my Mountaineer. However - you get no 3rd seat, and the Navigation was quite the joke - the worst I've seen yet. Don't know who makes it, but it sucks.