Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• scottva22scottva22 Posts: 26
    I'm not sure why anybody would want to buy a hybrid. The current offerings from various manufacturers are selling at about a $3K premium over regular versions. You would have to drive the car/truck over 250K miles to recoup that in gas savings (from what I've read). Additionally, car manufacturers are selling the hybrids at a loss as the technology costs about $5K per unit.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I really like it!!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,931
    i also have an '02 explorer. as i put on more miles, the worse it shifted. it would hesitate or act undecided before going into second gear on upshifts. had the transmission flushed at the 30k service. it made a huge difference.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    looks like the 06 will be similar in category to the 02-05...any rumors about an extended version (a la trailblazer ext). i personally would like a bit longer in the rear to be able to have 3 rows of seats plus decent storage room (with 3 seats up now, you basically have no storage room). anyone know of plans of an extended model? anyone know how the ext trailblazer sells? makes a lot of sense i think - probably 90% of the components are the same and you have a whole other vehicle to sell.
  • comancoman Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if the retracting running boards on the Navigator have any type of manual control to disable them? I'm assuming that the new Mountaineer will be similar.

I see the retracting RBs as something other than just a sleek look. I now drive a 97 Mountaineer and I don't use the RBs to get in or out but I have to step over them each time, sometimes getting my pants leg dirty in bad weather. I'd like to have control to keep the RBs fully retracted at all times unless I have a passenger that needs them. Otherwise, with no control, I think they are just another gee-gaw to break and are always in the way just like the fixed ones.

I'm thinking of trading my 97 for an 06 next summer. I really like the looks of the new interior. Can't wait to see the real thing this fall.

Thanks for the input.
  • abhishek1abhishek1 Posts: 6
    The extended version will probably not be made because they already have the Expedition. Also, i think the extended models like the envoy and trailblazer extended look wierd.
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    I completely agree. The extended Envoy and Trailblazer models are not attractive. It's something about them that makes them look funny. They're too long or something. Also, about the extended Explorer, that would basically be the Expedition. If they made an extended Explorer, it would probably take sales away from the Expedition.
    buy a rooftop carrier for a few hundred bucks, and you will have a bunch more storage. i have a thule carrier. it is long but narrow. i let my bil borrow it. he went on a trip with another family who also had an explorer, but they had a soft sided square roof carrier. my bil said the other family had to stop for gas earlier and always took 5 more gallons of gas than he did at each fill up.
    maybe the extended version is of the expedition, not the explorer. it is supposed to replace the excursion.
    well, see, thats the funny thing. ford has the explorer, chevy has the trailblazer, approximately same size and market segment. ford has the expedition, chevy has the tahoe.approximately same size and market segment. so here is the trailblazer ext, longer than a tahoe, but narrower. shorter than a suburban, but narrower. an extended explorer (a la EXT) would be longer than an expedition, but narrower, shorter than an excursion, but narrower. this is why i wonder how sales of this ext unit are. the smart thing they have done is created a whole new vehicle segment )based on length / width) and kept a majority of the parts the same. my understanding is from the b pillar forward, vehicles are identical, as are most underpinnings. must mean that the EXT costs them very little extras to build i would think.
    thing is, the t'blazer had to be extended to fit the 3rd row of seats which the explorer already has without getting extended.
  • smokie3smokie3 Posts: 4
    Ordered 06 Explorer with Mustang V8, 6 speed trans. Anyone have any idea how it will run. Never had 6 speed trans. Will it change gear 6 times on take off in drive. Looking forward getting it the last of Aug.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    From all I've read and heard, the 6-speed transmission is a dream. Silk-smooth shifts, very wide range of ratios. Top two gears are overdrive. Starting in drive, it will go through all six gears.

NVBANKER has experience with one in a Navigator. Maybe he'll chime in here.

I have an '06 Mountaineer ordered. The transmission is the primary reason I'm passing on the big financial incentives on the '05's. I said "Primary"; there are several other good reasons.
    How about the torque and the take off of the new engine. Have 04 expedition now, it does pretty good with 260 hp. the 293hp in the explorer it should fly. Also ordered 18" wheels with 235/65/18 tires. Heard these tires are hard to find.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    for the 2006 Expy/Meer to come out, myself...the 292 Hp and 6 speed and floor shifter intrigue me...when the info comes out, I hope someone can do a thorough comparison between the 05 and 06 Explorer, highlighting the major differences and improvements of the 06 over the 05...would also be nice to include what has NOT changed from 05 to 06, so we know what has not been altered, improved or whatever...one feature I always liked on the 02-05 was when you lift the tailgate window, the split between the upper and lower portions of the tailgate made for a lower liftover height to place groceries and merchandise in the back...few other makers do this, placing the split halfway up the tailgate, both halves are equal, but liftover height is awkward...hopefully Ford kept this feature, quite helpful...if they didn't, one should ask why...
    The HP numbers are a bit deceiving. They represent the Max HP which occurs at a specific RPM, a speed at which we rarely operate. What I think is significant is the variable cam timing, which increases the HP across the entire RPM band. That, combined with the 6-speed transmission, should provide very lively performance.

From what I've seen, the split in the liftgate has been raised to near its former location. IMO, a backward step, probably for $$.

Still, I'm happy I have a Mountaineer ordered.
    the split liftgate is gone. window only opens. like you, that was a must have feature. foolish in my opinion for them to take it away. my guess it was due to all the problems they had with it.
    Anybody seen any price list yet? Ordered one & don't even no the price, which i really don't care, i've got to have one. Talking about the Explorer.
    ... for my 2006 Mountaineer. It's among the first 500 being built at St. Louis.
  • fordexp2fordexp2 Posts: 8
    I live in St. Louis and saw the new '06s today. Do you know when yours we be available for pickup or delivery?
    I'll have new info. next Tuesday.

If you get a chance, please get the last 6 digits of a 2006 Mountaineer.

What did you think of what you saw?

I have X-Plan PINs availabe for anyone who is planning on buying a new Ford or L-M product.
    It is not possible to get too much info. on any vehicle because they are behind a gate. I liked both the Exp. and Mountaineer. The grill on the Mountaineer is pretty much the same, but the tailights are all chrome. There is no red or orange lenses in them. There is also a chrome strip running along the top of the rear bumper that reads "mercury" and it adds a lot to the vehicle. I would love to be able to see the inside of the Exp. or Mountaineer, but from where I was I could not see much of them. Please let me know about the new info. you'll get. What are the benefits of the X-Plan?
    I clicked on this and there is nothing there.
    X-plan prices are 1.5 percent below invoice.

And, no negotiation is required, the dealer is locked in to a price provided by Ford that the buyer can see.. Also, all other rebates still apply.

Re: the Mountaineers behind the gate. Sometimes, the last few digits of the VIN are hand-written in large letters on the windshield or rear window.
    I will look and see about the VIN.
    Does anyone know how to access the "Ordering Guide" from that link from another person. When I open it there is some text followed by a blank screen. All other cars/ suvs work, but not the Explorer.
    If not, could someone e-mail me the file as an attachment. jjcollom@charter.net
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    "no negotiation"...the X-plan price is printed directly on the dealer's paperwork, so they know it when they receive the vehicle...

But, if you are related to a Ford employee, you can receive A-plan, which is cheaper than X-plan, as Ford employees and the relatives can recive a greater discount...but you must be related...

X-plan not only gives you a unnegotiable discount, but all rebates still apply...may also give you a disocunt on extended warranty, another high-profit item for the dealer...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    laterag: how did you order a 2006 Mountaineer. I can not find any ordering guides. I stopped at a dealer yesterday and they told me that they do not have any of the ordering information. Maybe they don't, maybe the people I spoke with did not know, or maybe they just want to sell the 2005 models on their lot. I will try some other dealers when I have the time, but maybe you have a better idea. IF I can find the ordering guide, I will also place an order.

The link several posts ago no longer works. It appears that they have gotten ride of the Explorer ordering guide. I wonder if Ford is making some last minute changes?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    If we use your PIN numbers, are you going to get kickbacks from Ford?

I wish I could get another new car, but I bought a new car already. (had I not bought my I35, I'd probably be staring at a Saab in my driveway instead of an Infiniti)
    I wouldn't call it a "kickback" Ford provides employees and retirees a very modest reward for each vehicle purchased as a result of PINs issued.