Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    THATS A VERY DETAILED LINK!

is the explorer really 4 inches longer? sounds like they made major revisions to the vehicle if this is the case.
    no more adjustable pedals?
    finnaly no more manual recline. its 10 way now, i assume power lumbar as well?
    hopefully they added outside mirror memory - annoyingly absent from our 02.
    the xlt sport is basiclly now a base eddie bauer - odd move.
    still no dual zone climate on manual models - checy has them beat on this one.
    how can they ignore this?
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    One big change that I like is that the compass and outside temperature gauge is now standard on all models. One thing that I don't like, from spy pics that I have seen, is that they have changes the rear hatch design. From the pictures, it looks like the handle is right on the window like pre-2002 models.
    that is confirmed. now, only the glass lifts up. this is detailed in the mercury mountaineer press release.

There are a million things i dont like about my explorer. But the low liftglass opening, which i open every day, is a phenomenal feature and one that very few others have
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    What's required to view the ordering guide? All I get is the little box with the circle, square & triangle in upper left corner.
    its a PDF file. you need acrobate reader or adobe reader installed to view it
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    I have Acrobat Reader installed & it works fine on all other downloads. ????
    may want to try reinstalling. first, though, make sure you allow all pop ups from that page. i think it opens it in a popup window and a popup blocker may be causing the problem.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Try to download the file to your computer (by clicking the blue disk icon on top left in the .pdf file) and open the file as a regular .pdf file. This will also help you to enlarge the file full screen.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Power adjustable pedals will be optional on all models but the XLS. You can find this information at the optional packages (or just make a "search" in the .pdf file for "pedals" and you'll find it.)
  • abhishek1abhishek1 Posts: 6
    I think the ground clearance was higher on the old explorer. It looks like it lost about an inch, but it got a little longer and a little wider.
  • scottva22scottva22 Posts: 26
    I'm not sure why anybody would want to buy a hybrid. The current offerings from various manufacturers are selling at about a $3K premium over regular versions. You would have to drive the car/truck over 250K miles to recoup that in gas savings (from what I've read). Additionally, car manufacturers are selling the hybrids at a loss as the technology costs about $5K per unit.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I really like it!!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    i also have an '02 explorer. as i put on more miles, the worse it shifted. it would hesitate or act undecided before going into second gear on upshifts. had the transmission flushed at the 30k service. it made a huge difference.
    looks like the 06 will be similar in category to the 02-05...any rumors about an extended version (a la trailblazer ext). i personally would like a bit longer in the rear to be able to have 3 rows of seats plus decent storage room (with 3 seats up now, you basically have no storage room). anyone know of plans of an extended model? anyone know how the ext trailblazer sells? makes a lot of sense i think - probably 90% of the components are the same and you have a whole other vehicle to sell.
  • comancoman Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if the retracting running boards on the Navigator have any type of manual control to disable them? I'm assuming that the new Mountaineer will be similar.

I see the retracting RBs as something other than just a sleek look. I now drive a 97 Mountaineer and I don't use the RBs to get in or out but I have to step over them each time, sometimes getting my pants leg dirty in bad weather. I'd like to have control to keep the RBs fully retracted at all times unless I have a passenger that needs them. Otherwise, with no control, I think they are just another gee-gaw to break and are always in the way just like the fixed ones.

I'm thinking of trading my 97 for an 06 next summer. I really like the looks of the new interior. Can't wait to see the real thing this fall.

Thanks for the input.
  • abhishek1abhishek1 Posts: 6
    The extended version will probably not be made because they already have the Expedition. Also, i think the extended models like the envoy and trailblazer extended look wierd.
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    I completely agree. The extended Envoy and Trailblazer models are not attractive. It's something about them that makes them look funny. They're too long or something. Also, about the extended Explorer, that would basically be the Expedition. If they made an extended Explorer, it would probably take sales away from the Expedition.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    buy a rooftop carrier for a few hundred bucks, and you will have a bunch more storage. i have a thule carrier. it is long but narrow. i let my bil borrow it. he went on a trip with another family who also had an explorer, but they had a soft sided square roof carrier. my bil said the other family had to stop for gas earlier and always took 5 more gallons of gas than he did at each fill up.
    maybe the extended version is of the expedition, not the explorer. it is supposed to replace the excursion.
    well, see, thats the funny thing. ford has the explorer, chevy has the trailblazer, approximately same size and market segment. ford has the expedition, chevy has the tahoe.approximately same size and market segment. so here is the trailblazer ext, longer than a tahoe, but narrower. shorter than a suburban, but narrower. an extended explorer (a la EXT) would be longer than an expedition, but narrower, shorter than an excursion, but narrower. this is why i wonder how sales of this ext unit are. the smart thing they have done is created a whole new vehicle segment )based on length / width) and kept a majority of the parts the same. my understanding is from the b pillar forward, vehicles are identical, as are most underpinnings. must mean that the EXT costs them very little extras to build i would think.